• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have a stack of fiction books in my backlog. I love science fiction and horror stories. But I'm so wrapped up with them I very ever read a nonfiction novel.

Can someone recommended a good page turner and not one that will put me to sleep?

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently reading a Biography of Lord Byron by Fiona McCarthy and it is fantastic. A real page turner that almost brings Byron back to life.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost City of Z by David Grann.
A nonfiction adventure book that I could hardly put down.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and Endurance by Alfred Lansing are similarly terrifying real life adventures.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Radical Chic, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Right Stuff

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

Amazon.com: Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated: 9780061962158: Arngrim, Alison: Books

Amazon.com: Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated: 9780061962158: Arngrim, Alison: Books

If you don't know her, as a child and teen she played a bitchy girl on Little House on the Prairie, it's her autobiography, she tells some really interesting stories about her life, the book is at times hilarious and sometimes quite sad. It was a really good read.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
"Devil in the White City"

Half of it is about one of the most gruesome and disturbing serial killers in American history, the other half is about the creation of the Chicago World's Fair. As crazy as it may sound, they are equally interesting.

Also 'The Pantomime Life of Joesph Grimaldi" is an insane gem that goes into 17th and 18th century British theatre and includes dogs dressed as battleships, a bear fighter turned palaeontologist, a father pretending to be dead to see which of his sons love him more, the world's first child star, and the origin of the modern clown.

Dec 30, 2020
519fWd56vTL._SL350_.jpg

Interesting book about a number of things Dr. Feynman was involved with, including the creation of the atomic bomb.

51V8UsMzffL.jpg

A very interesting look into the irony of how many royals were terrified of being poisoned by their rivals... while proceeding to poison themselves in a variety of ways.

51b2FqnguPL.jpg

A travelogue by BRIAN BLESSED about his adventures in the Grand Tepuis of South America (think of the landscape the Pixar film 'UP' took place in).

Last edited:

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
I read it around the time it was published in the mid-2000s and went through it in a few days. It might be a little dated by now, but I think it's still pretty relevant. It's on the truly nasty world of the fast food industry, a lot of stuff you probably already know/suspect.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Evening's Empire: A History of the Night in Early Modern Europe by Craig Koslofsky

"Evening's Empire is a fascinating study of the myriad ways in which early modern people understood, experienced, and transformed the night. Using diaries, letters, and legal records together with representations of the night in early modern religion, literature and art, Craig Koslofsky opens up an entirely new perspective on early modern Europe. He shows how princes, courtiers, burghers and common people 'nocturnalized' political expression, the public sphere and the use of daily time. Fear of the night was now mingled with improved opportunities for labour and leisure: the modern night was beginning to assume its characteristic shape. Evening's Empire takes the evocative history of the night into early modern politics, culture and society, revealing its importance to key themes from witchcraft, piety, and gender to colonization, race, and the Enlightenment."

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the complete opposite lol. I get so wrapped up in non-fiction that I rarely read fiction. Anywho, on to my suggestion:

The Last Leonardo by Ben Lewis.

JSdnmRW.jpg

It's about the most expensive painting ever sold at auction, the Salvador Mundi, said to be by Leonardo Da Vinci. The book gives an in-depth history of the painting, from its purchase for a thousand bucks at an estate auction to several restorations, to its controversial inclusion among works known to be by Leonardo, to its record-breaking auction sale for over $400 million. It even goes deep on Leonardo and his workshop and several other Salvador Mundi paintings that might be by them. And (spoiler alert!) the book makes a persuasive case that the one in question is not actually by Leonardo.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Devil in the White City is a great call because it feels like it could be almost fiction.

In terms of other good non-fiction books I've read in the past few years, 1776 by David McCollough was really interesting and I loved Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration by Bryan Caplan... it has a beautiful graphic novel presentation and is very persuasive on the benefits of increased immigration.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Command and Control by Eric Schlosser.

Great and pretty thrilling book about the illusions of safety we have about the world's nuclear arsenal and the safety controls around them. Goes into the history of the safety and fail safe mechanisms all the way back to WW2 to specific incidents that were insanely close to nuclear disaster.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Command and Control by Eric Schlosser.

Great and pretty thrilling book about the illusions of safety we have about the world's nuclear arsenal and the safety controls around them. Goes into the history of the safety and fail safe mechanisms all the way back to WW2 to specific incidents that were insanely close to nuclear disaster.
This sounds very interesting.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Black Count by Tom Reiss. It's a biography about Thomas-Alexandre Dumas, the father of famed french writer Alexandre Dumas, the author of The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo. He used many of his father's life and military exploits as inspiration for his stories.

Thomas-Alexandre's story is incredible, it's full of amazing triumphs and deep tragedy. It also gives a pretty eye-opening history lesson on how shockingly progressive France was towards people of color back in the 18th century before Napoleon came to power (he plays quite an important role in the story as well).

I won't spoil anything more in case you do end up reading, but I definitely recommend it.

ePzzwJ1.jpg

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If you're into wrestling, Mick Foley's biographies were entertaining. I don't know if they hold up today though

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I highly recommend Cosmos by Carl Sagan and Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
517muZVn2EL.jpg

In Harm's Way, about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis during WWII and the absolutely remarkable stories of survival of several groups of people. It is told in a completely riveting way.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Book of Adventure: from the notebooks of the Unknown Adventurer
3aa676d6-2ab1-4f46-8490-2d98e9e4d602.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Batman: The Definitive Visual History
43822794._SX318_.jpg

Jun 17, 2019
For the Comic lovers there's the following:
51Pt9GxVr1L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Takes a look about JMS history and how he became a writer that has his fingers in a lot of things. Covers his time as not only as a kid and his life growing up but also diving head first into how he became a writer and his time on shows like Real Ghost Busters, Legend of Zelda, Murder She wrote, Babylon 5, to his time crafting Spider-man and writing for DC's Superman. It's an interesting dive into his history.

51kxOpEzqZL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A great book about the man behind Batman and how his family basically FINALLY got his name credited on the book that he crafted along with Bob Kane. Bill deserves to be remembered.

Also from the same author Boys of Steel covering the history of Superman