• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
My conscience has a soft 90-day rule. If you aren't getting yourself caught up by then, whatever.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is an excellent post in this thread, just absolutely fantastic. Alas, it would be a spoiler to point it out.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Guys I'm watching Shallow Grave right now.

So... if any of you all seen it please... just keep it to yourselves alright? I know there is no reason I have to be watching it right now AND on the internet, but if you could just keep it to yourselves and not be selfish.

Thanks.

/s actually if somebody knows the plot off hand (don't cheat with the internet you fucks) spoil it now! I'll read it as I watch

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between spoiling something relevant, and incidentally spoiling something from ages ago. That's all there is to it really.
Obviously if you mkae a thread like "HEY YOU SHOULD WATCH X Y Z" or an article, it behooves you not to spoil it since it's directed at those that haven't seen it, but something like "Man, when X died in got that was so dope' should not have to be fucking worried about 10 years after the fact.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
Which part? The one where people want to be able to fully enjoy entertainment even when they can't consume it the second it's available or the part that spoils things without consideration?
how about not being pissed off for being "spoiled" about shit that's over a year old at this point

14COhR2.png

Nov 1, 2017
This is almost as bad you know.

Which part? The one where people want to be able to fully enjoy entertainment even when they can't consume it the second it's available or the part that spoils things without consideration?

The idea that being spoiled will ruin the entirety of something. I get not wanting to be spoiled but some people take it to extremes.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Literally every scene of this show, including in-depth summaries, montages, analysis, and great ideas about what could happen next season are up on Youtube. There are even channels which take you through every character's journey from introduction to downfall.

If you're tired of spoilers, let me give you the one spoiler that you'll actually welcome. Season 5 is horribly depressing and poorly written except for one spectacle episode. Season 6 is totally badass but is still poorly written. Season 7 is better than season 5 but still pretty bad.

What you haven't watched isn't worth all the stress you've put yourself through to worry about getting spoiled.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This is almost as bad you know.

The part where people expect the world to stop just because they took 7 years to get to a certain piece of media.

Even though people are giving OP a hard time nobody is actually spoiling Game of Thrones in this thread. The fact that OP is issuing a site wide ban on non-spoiler tagged references/discussions/gifs etc until they catch up is ridiculous though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We actually should have an entire Spoiler ToS for Era, it feels a little wild west.

Rules for:

How long after a movie comes out is it alright to talk about its spoilers as if those spoilers are common knowledge (Example: how kosher is it to talk about / meme about the end of Infinity War? If it's alright now, how long since the movie released in theaters did it become alright?)

As a standardized rule, how long should a poster wait to talk about TV episode spoilers in its own OT? Then, what about an entire season getting released at once?

Something across the board would be nice, even if it was just a "rule of thumb unless stated otherwise" sort of guidelines.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If it wasn't important enough for you to carve out a couple of hours to watch it for 7 years, I can't see spoilers mattering much.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it is particularly fair to ask an entire community of tens of thousands of people to cater to you because you could not be bothered to watch one of the biggest shows in television history for the past 7 years
I don't think it's fair to assume everyone in the world watched something just because it's popular.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Just because someone doesn't watch something right away, or even within the first year or two, doesn't mean they deserve to have it spoiled for them. There is no reason as to why people shouldn't use spoiler tags when they can. If it's a spoiler, spoiler tag it. Sometimes spoilers will slip. It happens. Most of the time? Completely unnecessary and very, very ignorant.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
As long as people aren't going out of their way to be total assholes in spoiling plots that people could not possibly have seen, like in the opening night of a film, I see no reason to be so strict about spoilers.

The fact is that it doesn't affect some peoples' enjoyment. I see spoilers for Avengers Infinity War everywhere on Resetera, and it's a lot newer than the newest season of Game of Thrones.

Thrones is a TV phenomenon that I caught onto and I don't watch ANYTHING on TV. The last show I watched before that was Breaking Bad. I can't remember the last regular TV show I watched before or since.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's fair enough to not want to be spoiled about something. I get it. What's not fair is to expect the world to cater to you and your whims.

If you are watching or reading or playing something and don't want to be spoilered then it behooves you to do what you can to avoid it, don't engage in media likely to spoil it for you, don't go into threads about the subject etc etc.

But if you insist on going places where people are incredibly likely to be talking about what you are experiencing... that's on you.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
We actually should have an entire Spoiler ToS for Era, it feels a little wild west.

Rules for:

How long after a movie comes out is it alright to talk about its spoilers as if those spoilers are common knowledge (Example: how kosher is it to talk about / meme about the end of Infinity War? If it's alright now, how long since the movie released in theaters did it become alright?)

As a standardized rule, how long should a poster wait to talk about TV episode spoilers in its own OT? Then, what about an entire season getting released at once?

Something across the board would be nice, even if it was just a "rule of thumb unless stated otherwise" sort of guidelines.
As someone who hates hates HATES spoilers, I wouldn't oppose something like 6 months.

But with the caveat of think twice if a massive spoiler is really worth posting in an unrelated topic. Who does it benefit at the cost of almost certainly being a bummer to some people?
Just because someone doesn't watch something right away, or even within the first year or two, doesn't mean they deserve to have it spoiled for them. There is no reason as to why people shouldn't use spoiler tags when they can. If it's a spoiler, spoiler tag it. Sometimes spoilers will slip. It happens. Most of the time? Completely unnecessary and very, very ignorant.
Pretty much.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why so many people just spoil shit and don't care. Happens everywhere. It's terrible.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Yes, I was clearly referencing this exact instance when talking about "spoiler culture". You got it.
You're in a thread where a person is asking that everyone not talk about popular culture for years and years and years after they come out. You replied to someone commenting on that subject.

If you changed the subject in the mean time without telling anyone then you only have yourself to blame.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's fair to assume everyone in the world watched something just because it's popular.

Let's set some guidelines then. Someone made a different topic about the Greyjoys. Without getting into that, I immediately launched into free reign spoilers about the entire series. Should I have thought about those who hadn't seen season 7?

The only two kinds of topics where people shouldn't have the freedom to discuss Game of Thrones spoilers with impunity are topics that have nothing to do with Game of Thrones, and topics like this one.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but if you don't watch something popular within a year or so, you expect that you can be spoiled on it.
From assholes like youtube commenters, sure. I like to think Era is better in this regard. Right...?
Let's set some guidelines then. Someone made a different topic about the Greyjoys. Without getting into that, I immediately launched into free reign spoilers about the entire series. Should I have thought about those who hadn't seen season 7?

The only two kinds of topics where people shouldn't have the freedom to discuss Game of Thrones spoilers with impunity are topics that have nothing to do with Game of Thrones, and topics like this one.
Put something like "open spoilers for the rest of the series" on topic. It's not that hard.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
And it's not fair to expect people to have to constantly spoiler tag anytime they want to talk or make a reference about the world's most popular TV show.

Like, are you gonna get annoyed at some dude posting what happens in Infinity War? When things are popular like GoT, then at that point it's on you to watch it or just not care that you'll be spoiled, pop culture can't just stop to cater to your needs.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
From assholes like youtube commenters, sure. I like to think Era is better in this regard. Right...?
Better how? Era generally has a great etiquette for not spoiling something new and recent. You're not going to find malicious spoilers in unrelated threads, both because that's not the culture we have and because people get warned or banned for doing that.

If people are talking about events or features of a piece of popular media, it's because that piece is somehow useful to the current socializing and conversation. Not because people don't care, but because they do care, and they assume enough others will also care to appreciate the reference they've made.

If there was no social utility in referencing popular culture, then it either wouldn't be popular or it wouldn't be culture. Ergo, policing that utility is an exercise in futility.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair enough to not want to be spoiled about something. I get it. What's not fair is to expect the world to cater to you and your whims.

If you are watching or reading or playing something and don't want to be spoilered then it behooves you to do what you can to avoid it, don't engage in media likely to spoil it for you, don't go into threads about the subject etc etc.

But if you insist on going places where people are incredibly likely to be talking about what you are experiencing... that's on you.
This thread is about unrelated discussions.

Your first paragraph can also be looked at from the opposite direction. Is it fair to demand that everyone is caught up on what you have watched just so you can make your meaningless reference or post a random reaction gif?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
- Caring so deeply about the sanctity of a work that incidental comments are considered ruinous.

- Being aware of but not caring about a work to not watch it for years or worse, even plan to watch it in the near future.

Pick one.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Bird Box because I was seeing even in memes and wanted to be unspoiled.
One of the endings in Buster Scruggs was everywhere within weeks because it became a meme template. Luckily it wasn't really the type of story where plot matters.

And I half-expected him to escape a second time anyway.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Bird Box because I was seeing even in memes and wanted to be unspoiled.
Bird Box is something that I thought within the context of spoilers and popular media, just today I saw a meme that used a big spoiler for the meme as the joke. Bird Box is so popular that now people are just posting open spoilers on social media because 99% already saw it or they haven't and don't plan to.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't understand why so many people just spoil shit and don't care. Happens everywhere. It's terrible.

Agreed. People are pretty ignorant when it comes to spoilers. If they've seen something, they don't care if they spoil it for others.

It happens here all the time, and you see it in this thread with all the stupid spoiler replies.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
And it's not fair to expect people to have to constantly spoiler tag anytime they want to talk or make a reference about the world's most popular TV show.

Like, are you gonna get annoyed at some dude posting what happens in Infinity War? When things are popular like GoT, then at that point it's on you to watch it or just not care that you'll be spoiled, pop culture can't just stop to cater to your needs.
On platform like youtube and twitter, sure. Era is a forum though where there's spoiler tag function, and I like to believe users here are mature enough to be considerate.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
YouTube recommendations can be bad for spoilers too. You get linked to one video -- say something about The Walking Dead -- then weeks later it'll recommend a spoiler video showing a character's death.

Oct 29, 2017
Most of the plot of most media is not a spoiler, real spoilers are forever though. Time is not really an important part of that equation, there are more important variables.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I started watching Homeland recently and was spoiled by an episode of Family Guy.

Me: "REALLY?!" But it's the price you pay for being late :)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
On platform like youtube and twitter, sure. Era is a forum though where there's spoiler tag function, and I like to believe users here are mature enough to be considerate.
You need to be considerate as well and realize that if you haven't watched a pop culture milestone like GoT then its on you if you don't want to get spoiled. The Red Wedding was so massive it launched a whole new genre of YouTube videos.

Are you really gonna say people are inconsiderate if they make a reference to the events of that episode?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The precise reason some people care about the spoilers for this show is because of all the "shocking" deaths.

As a wise man once said, everyone gets their throat slit. Not everyone truly burns cities to the ground.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I got spoiled on the red wedding because someone said "red wedding" in a Game of Thrones topic and DIDN'T spoil it.

I was the dumbass who googled it. How stupid am I?