• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
UPDATE - I GOT MY US GAMES BACK!! :o)

Just to update the tread (in case anyone else falls into this trap)….I managed to get my old SIM number back and have now recovered my account!

I had to call O2 on my old SIM, explain the issue and whilst during the initial call the guy was unable to help he did confirm the number was 'not in use' and suggested escalating to the tech team.

The tech team were really helpful, an advisor emailed me so I had a direct contact and then told me to get a new 'SIM only' deal and email the new number to them. They were then able to convert my new SIM back to my old number and from there I logged into my account and updated the details :o)
--------------------------
Original issue;

Hi, long story short;

I live in the UK and many years ago I set up a US account to purchase games as they were cheaper.

A few years ago my UK account was hacked, having recovered that account I enabled 2-step verification on all my PSN accounts (I have a few for various reasons).

Anyway, fast forward and recently I was given a company mobile phone, for some reason I forgot to update my US PSN account - and now I can't get into my account!

So here's the thing. I no longer have that number and the number/account/sim linked to the account was passed onto my son - so (as far as I know) it's impossible to get a text to my linked number. I can't log into the account in any way on anything because I get the 2 step code message and an option to make a backup code (which I can't do because I can't sign in lol).

So I can contact Sony right? Well the kicker is I'm not 100% sure of the details I used to set the account up (ie address - and I might have used my dads DoB etc but don't recall as it was years ago!)...and what I don't want to do is contact Sony and arouse suspision over my account...so essentially I'm asking if there's anything else I can try prior to contacting Sony!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice...currently all my US games are locked :(

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Contact Sony, we can't help you anymore than they can.

If you can't prove it was your account, you're out of luck -- you're as good as a thief who wants to steal the account in that case.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
^
This.

Also, write down the 10 2FA backup codes for your other accounts that you still can access.
With them you can log back into the accounts you have set up 2FA with if you end up in this situation again (Account Settings -> Security -> Backup Codes).

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I just tried signing into my 2FA accounts(JP/US) on the website and it looks like their auth servers are not working at the moment, getting errors.

OP reminded me that I must have misplaced my backup codes, gonna generate some new ones.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh this just sounds like 2FA doing it's job. It should be borderline impossible to access an account if you don't have the login details, access to the authentication codes, the 10 back up codes, or any of the details used to set up the account.

I know it's a shit situation to be in, but it's better than someone else being able to access your account.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
If your son has the number can't he just get your texts for 2fa?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Tbh this just sounds like 2FA doing it's job. It should be borderline impossible to access an account if you don't have the login details, access to the authentication codes, the 10 back up codes, or any of the details used to set up the account.

I know it's a shit situation to be in, but it's better than someone else being able to access your account.
Indeed. There's, unfortunately, a sacrifice to convenience and accessibility when it comes to security.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, long story short;

I live in the UK and many years ago I set up a US account to purchase games as they were cheaper.

A few years ago my UK account was hacked, having recovered that account I enabled 2-step verification on all my PSN accounts (I have a few for various reasons).

Anyway, fast forward and recently I was given a company mobile phone, for some reason I forgot to update my US PSN account - and now I can't get into my account!

So here's the thing. I no longer have that number and the number/account/sim linked to the account was passed onto my son - so (as far as I know) it's impossible to get a text to my linked number. I can't log into the account in any way on anything because I get the 2 step code message and an option to make a backup code (which I can't do because I can't sign in lol).

So I can contact Sony right? Well the kicker is I'm not 100% sure of the details I used to set the account up (ie address - and I might have used my dads DoB etc but don't recall as it was years ago!)...and what I don't want to do is contact Sony and arouse suspision over my account...so essentially I'm asking if there's anything else I can try prior to contacting Sony!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice...currently all my US games are locked :(

literally everything you're asking us for ways to get around are the things that an attacker would ask to get into an account. It would not be ~wise~ for any of us to answer those questions.

If the number and stuff was passed onto your son, why not just... y'know, talk to him about getting that stuff sent to you?

OP
OP
goonergaz

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Contact Sony, we can't help you anymore than they can.

If you can't prove it was your account, you're out of luck -- you're as good as a thief who wants to steal the account in that case.

Yeah figured...just checking I wasn't missing anything.

^
This.

Also, write down the 10 2FA backup codes for your other accounts that you still can access.
With them you can log back into the accounts you have set up 2FA with if you end up in this situation again (Account Settings -> Security -> Backup Codes).

Yep, I have done a couple of accounts now...I kinda think the backup codes should be made more compulsary when setting up the 2FA.

I just tried signing into my 2FA accounts(JP/US) on the website and it looks like their auth servers are not working at the moment, getting errors.

OP reminded me that I must have misplaced my backup codes, gonna generate some new ones.

Pleased that my post has potentially helped someone :)

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I can probably guess the account details I just never thought I would need to use them so didn't make a note.

OP
OP
goonergaz

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
literally everything you're asking us for ways to get around are the things that an attacker would ask to get into an account. It would not be ~wise~ for any of us to answer those questions.

If the number and stuff was passed onto your son, why not just... y'know, talk to him about getting that stuff sent to you?

Actually what I'm asking for is if I've missed anything else out before I contact Sony and potentially risk them locking my account and losing all my games I have legitimately purchased.

Regarding the old number, he kept his number - so essentially he has my sim/contract but his number - my number no longer exists (I tried calling it in case someone actually had it and I might be able to get the code from them).

The error I made was not realising to update ALL my accounts when changing my mobile phone number...but there's also the issue that Sony (and maybe others?) do this thing where they sign you out so you have to go through logging in fully every so often...if they had just left it as a legitimate "logged in" then I could have got the backup codes. I have my account on other PS4s and PS3 but I fear none will just 'remember me' and allow me access to my account without the 2FA.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I have done a couple of accounts now...I kinda think the backup codes should be made more compulsary when setting up the 2FA.
They're created and shown to you during the initial 2FA setup process with the explicit advise to print/store them in a safe location. Shy of (somehow) mandating that you write them down before being able to leave the page they can't really do more. They're not going to email them to you for visibility or anything (that would completely defeat the purpose of the codes and compromise their integrity).

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
If you have the serial number from the console that you created the account the chances of recovered it are pretty high.

OP
OP
goonergaz

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Just to update the tread (in case anyone else falls into this trap)….I managed to get my old SIM number back and have now recovered my account!

I had to call O2 on my old SIM, explain the issue and whilst during the initial call the guy was unable to help he did confirm the number was 'not in use' and suggested escalating to the tech team as they might have more options than he did.

The tech team were also really helpful, an advisor emailed me so I had a direct contact and then told me to get a new 'SIM only' deal and email the new number to them. They were then able to convert my new SIM back to my old number and from there I logged into my account and updated the details :o)