• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this one will be a new IP or another spiritual successor, or both
Whatever it is, I wanna see it!

I've just finished another 100% run of Banjo and am partway through Impossible Lair for a second time, so I'm very in the mood for something playtonic right now

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I hope it's something good
giphy.gif

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The hearts in that Tweet are green and purple (Yooka and Laylee's colors, respectively) so it's very likely a sequel will be announced soon. I do wonder if it'll be 2D or 3D though.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It'll be that they're working with Microsoft on a new Viva Pinata game.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I think they could do right with a 2nd shot at 3D, hope that's what it is.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'd be interested in another 3d platformer from them. I enjoyed the overworld in Impossible Lair a lot more than the actual 2d levels.

Oct 28, 2017
I gave Yooka Layle a spin on Game Pass, and its freaking amazing. Just wow. Looking forward to what they got cooking.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
They're being bought by Microsoft and the Yooka-Laylee IP is moving forward as an Xbox exclusive

/cursed

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Yooka-Racing PLEASE

I've wanting them to do a spiritual sequel to Diddy Kong Racing.
It'd be interesting for sure, but none of the designers or programmers behind DKR work at Playtonic. It would be as if a brand new team tried to make a spiritual sequel. They would probably nail the art and atmosphere, though.

Can't wait to see what they're working on either way. The Impossible Lair was amazing.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Please don't announce a buyout by Microsoft and Yooka-Laylee Xbox exclusivity.... not again.....

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not against more Yooka Laylee games but I hope it's something new.

I'd like to see what else they can do outside of that IP.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yooka-Racing PLEASE

Oh shit, I hadn't even realized I wanted thai until now!

If not that, I think it would be cool to do a 2D AND 3D platformer, all in one.

So there are the 2D Donkey Kong style levels, and 3D levels. Like you go into a room in the 3D level and suddenly you're in a 2D platform level.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think the Yoka-Laylee duo has charm enough to be in more games. I know Impossible Lair is fantastic but I kinda want to see them on a 3D game again. Maybe in one with smaller levels and more platforming?

Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
I loved The Impossible Lair but I'm afraid it didn't sell very well, did the folks at Playtonic ever share figures ?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's something good. I thought the first Yooka-Laylee was average at best but Impossible Lair was excellent, felt like the third Retro-DKC game we never got, but not quite as polished.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see them give 3D another shot. I think they have a good understanding of what didn't work in YL.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

So there are the 2D Donkey Kong style levels, and 3D levels. Like you go into a room in the 3D level and suddenly you're in a 2D platform level.
I could really go for some Massaman curry.

But seriously, I loved Impossible Lair so if this new project is anything like that I'm super in. Didn't care for what I tried of the original YL but I'm sure the team saw the critiques of the first game so I'd expect a second 3D platformer from them to be a huge improvement.

(And I love the idea in this post, sounds like Super Mario Odyssey but with more involved 2D levels!)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Impossible Lair was a decent platformer with a god awful game structure. The whole idea that I have to play these linear platforming levels over and over again to find these hidden collectibles so I can progress onto the next batch of levels, only to have to do the same thing again, is horrible and antiquated game design, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I hope I'm not the only one to have provided them with this feedback. It's needless padding and it really rubs me the wrong way.

Jan 4, 2018
I loved The Impossible Lair but I'm afraid it didn't sell very well, did the folks at Playtonic ever share figures ?

I think the main data we have is that Yooka-Laylee debuted at No.2 in Australia and No.6 in UK (launched April 11, 2017 on PC, Xbox One, PS4) while The Impossible Lair debuted at No.31 in UK (launched October 8, 2019 on PC, Switch, Xbox One, PS4).
TIL was also free on the Epic Games Store 3 months after release.

I don't know. It depends if it was profitable for Playtonic.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yooka-Racing PLEASE

This would be so awesome.

Give us an overworld, an online co-op "JOINT VENTURE", a David Wise soundtrack and maybe some other indie cameos like Shantae and Hollow Knight. I would buy it and make everyone I knew buy it.

Impossible Lair was a decent platformer with a god awful game structure. The whole idea that I have to play these linear platforming levels over and over again to find these hidden collectibles so I can progress onto the next batch of levels, only to have to do the same thing again, is horrible and antiquated game design, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I hope I'm not the only one to have provided them with this feedback. It's needless padding and it really rubs me the wrong way.
I strongly disagree.

Your opinion is totally valid but I want to throw in my two cents because I think the game deserves more love and attention. I thought it was a stellar platformer with a really fun and charming overworld that felt like a fun experience with elements of a 3D platformer that tie the 2D levels together in a way that made me want to keep playing. I spent a lot of time in the overworld just solving little puzzles and hunting for cheats (which were a really cool addition to the game).

Impossible Lair was jam packed with content that made exploring feel as rewarding as it was fun. They didn't need to pack in all that extra love but they did anyway and I can't praise it enough.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Probably just someone larping, but there was just a "leak"/rumor posted a couple days ago that they are making a viva pinata game with microsoft.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

I'd be down for this as well. The last game was so good I'd give them another run at 3D now.

This would be so awesome.

Give us an overworld, an online co-op "JOINT VENTURE", a David Wise soundtrack and maybe some other indie cameos like Shantae and Hollow Knight. I would buy it and make everyone I knew buy it.

The DREAM

Probably just someone larping, but there was just a "leak"/rumor posted a couple days ago that they are making a viva pinata game with microsoft.

WHAT. This would also be amazing.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's better than the first game.

I still need to play the second one, but found the first one boring enough I haven't even tried it, even though I've read it's much better. My one Kickstarter disappointment.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully it's better than the first game.

I still need to play the second one, but found the first one boring enough I haven't even tried it, even though I've read it's much better. My one Kickstarter disappointment.
Absolutely play it. I didn't like the 3D game either but Impossible Lair is actually very close to DKC/DKC2/DKC:TF caliber platforming. The controls are smooth and tight, the music is fantastic (some beautiful David Wise stuff in there) and there's a crazy fun Banjo-Kazooie lite overworld that you can explore to find unlockable cheats that either provide new moves, new challenges or cool graphical filters like GameBoy mode.

It's on sale frequently and if the experience I described sounds like something you would enjoy, definitely grab it.

It's also really lovely to look at:
BOUNCE_GIF1.gif

Tonics.gif

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

I thought it was a stellar platformer with a really fun and charming overworld that felt like a fun experience with elements of a 3D platformer that tie the 2D levels together in a way that made me want to keep playing.

I loved what they did in Impossible Lair and I can't praise it enough.

Different strokes I guess. Maybe it's because I grew up on 2D platformers where you beat the level and moved onto the next level and the games never made you go back into levels to find every coin, or ring, or letter, or whatever so you could move onto the next level. Beating the level was enough to be able to progress onto the next one. Maybe if I grew up with 3D platformers and that was my basis for what makes a game fun, I could see having some nostalgic attachment to it, but I don't think replaying levels over and over to find that one hidden item makes a game enjoyable to me. More power to you though if that's what you're into. If that's the structure of their next game though, I'm staying far away.