• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In an interview with spanish media 3DJuegos and Playtonic Games staff (Mark Stevenson and Steve Mayles), they stated the following:

"Creo que continuaremos trabajando en Yooka Laylee en el futuro. Realmente podríamos trabajar en cualquier tipo de videojuego, como uno de carreras a lo Mario Kart o un shooter a lo Splatoon
Nunca hemos pretendido que Yooka y Laylee fuesen los protagonistas de todos nuestros juegos. Para el futuro, podríamos hacer un spin-off con uno de los muchos personajes que aparecen en Yooka Laylee, como Dr. Quack o Dr. Puzz
Ser independientes nos permite seguir el camino que queramos y el que creamos más adecuado"
"I think we'll keep working on Yooka Laylee in the future. Really, we could work on any kind of game, a racing game like Mario Kart or a shooter like Splatoon. We've never intended Yooka and Laylee to be the protagonists of all of our games. On the future, we could make a spin-off with one of the many characters from Yooka Laylee, like Dr. Quack or Dr. Puzz. Being independent lets us follow whatever way we want and the one we think is right."

Source: https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-v...o-mario-kart-un-shooter-los-autores-de-yooka/

They should probably wait until they have a better cast of characters to base a Kart Racer on, but man it would be amazing to get even more competition in the genre. Coming from them, they'd likely place a big emphasis on the Adventure Mode like in Diddy Kong Racing, so I hope it gets made. Wouldn't be against the Splatoon-like shooter either.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
3D platformer
2d platformer
FPS
Third person shooter
Kart Racer
Weird puzzle with cars and destructable enviroment
Beat em Up

Lots of options for them

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
On one hand, I dont know if Yooka Laylee is strong enough as a brand to sustain a kart racer

on the other hand, 90% of the Diddy Kong Racing cast is made of complete randos

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Playtonic could be positioned well to finally deliver something I've been hoping would materialize for years: an indie crossover kart racer. The Yooka-Laylee cast alone might not be able to command a kart racer roster, but if Yooka & Laylee were just one part of a cast that included Shovel Knight, Shantae, the Goose and a dozen other indie darlings, and each of them had a track that was styled after their own homeworlds, that could be a sensational game!

Free idea here, Playtonic! Run with it!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a shame that they won't be able to output titles at their N64 days pace, I want to see so much from them but have to keep realistic expectations

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This has always been their intent from the beginning, there's a character in Yooka-Laylee (Schell the Spacewitch) who is hilariously overdesigned for an NPC that appears for a single Pagie mission in the last world and feels blatantly designed to be the star of some kind of space shooter spin-off. I will be absolutely shocked if she isn't the first to get her own game.

tumblr_prb94cfkoZ1vk3270o1_1280.jpg

As for other spin-offs, I love the idea of Playtonic being Rare 2.0, so I would really love to see another take on Diddy Kong Racing, specifically with a focus on the Adventure mode that no kart racer since has come close to. They could easily fill out a ten-man roster with Yooka-Laylee characters:

Yooka
Laylee
Dr. Puzz
Rextro
Trowzer
Vendi
Schell
Capital B
Dr. Quack
Queen Phoebee

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think with Crash, Team Sonic and new Mario Kart probably in the next two years, there's no much point for Yooka Racing.

A retro shooter would be welcome but please give us the true Banjo successor first.

On one hand, I dont know if Yooka Laylee is strong enough as a brand to sustain a kart racer

on the other hand, 90% of the Diddy Kong Racing cast is made of complete randos
Didn't matter, Diddy was popular enough and the game was great and a very good alternative to MK - with much better single player mode actually.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo don't want to make a new Diddy Kong Racing, then it's time for the old Rare employees at Playtonic to make it!

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Playtonic could be positioned well to finally deliver something I've been hoping would materialize for years: an indie crossover kart racer. The Yooka-Laylee cast alone might not be able to command a kart racer roster, but if Yooka & Laylee were just one part of a cast that included Shovel Knight, Shantae, the Goose and a dozen other indie darlings, and each of them had a track that was styled after their own homeworlds, that could be a sensational game!

If Team 17 is publishing again they could probably get a Worms worm at the very least. That'd be cool.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
This has always been their intent from the beginning, there's a character in Yooka-Laylee (Schell the Spacewitch) who is hilariously overdesigned for an NPC that appears for a single Pagie mission in the last world and feels blatantly designed to be the star of some kind of space shooter spin-off. I will be absolutely shocked if she isn't the first to get her own game.

Shit you are COMPLETELY right! I remember doing that quest and thinking "what is going on" especially bc the quest implies that shes sort of evil and doing something bad but the game never really does anything with that

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Just remember to buy Impossible Lair if you want Playtonic to make anything at all, cause otherwise it's not looking good if the number of Steam reviews is anything to go by. As a bonus, it's a fantastic game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love an Indie Kart game (but good) and an Indie Smash game (but good). The existing games in these genres are not up to snuff.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought The Impossible Lair, and I'm looking forward to diving in this weekend.

But I'm also not sure if it's a good idea that their games keep getting compared to Nintendo's. The Impossible Lair is very Tropical Freeze, and now there's discussion around something like Mario Kart or Splatoon.

You really need to be a solid developer to compare to those titles. I didn't buy The Impossible Lair immediately because it looks like "a solid DK clone, but not nearly as good."

I'm fairly sure I will enjoy this game, but I also think they should try making something that's not instantly comparable to the works of a top tier developer. The first Yooka-Laylee being called a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, a game they were even involved in creating, didn't do them any favors either.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Shit you are COMPLETELY right! I remember doing that quest and thinking "what is going on" especially bc the quest implies that shes sort of evil and doing something bad but the game never really does anything with that

Yeah, I can't remember the interview but I remember reading about how they wanted some characters to maybe not be quite what they seem at first. Schell was definitely their attempt at doing that, as well as Queen Phoebee in Impossible Lair. They're setting up the dominos, we just need some new games to see them fall!

I just bought The Impossible Lair, and I'm looking forward to diving in this weekend.

But I'm also not sure if it's a good idea that their games keep getting compared to Nintendo's. The Impossible Lair is very Tropical Freeze, and now there's discussion around something like Mario Kart or Splatoon.

You really need to be a solid developer to compare to those titles. I didn't buy The Impossible Lair immediately because it looks like "a solid DK clone, but not nearly as good."

I'm fairly sure I will enjoy this game, but I also think they should try making something that's not instantly comparable to the works of a top tier developer. The first Yooka-Laylee being called a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, a game they were even involved in creating, didn't do them any favors either.

IMO they're already a top tier dev, I like Impossible Lair more than Tropical Freeze. I think they just need to keep releasing solid games, a lot of people felt burned by the first Yooka-Laylee so it'll take some time for them to realize a lot of that game's faults were more down to the circumstances of its development than the devs not being up to snuff.

I also don't think they'll literally release a game just like Mario Kart or Splatoon, they were just using them as points of reference for a kart racer or cartoony shooter. They surely know that a lot of their fanbase enjoys the idea of them making spiritual successors to Rare games that haven't seen an installment in a while, so there's no need for them to rip off franchises that are still around and highly popular. If they do make a kart racer and shooter, I would expect them to be more like Diddy Kong Racing and Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini successors.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think Yooka should take a break now, and they should create something that taps into the nostalgia of like Goldeney and Perfect Dark. Make it objective based, make it an absolute joy to play mutliplayer (online AND splitscreen are a must) and make it science fiction, I guess.

Kart racers are, IMO, a crowded market now. There's at least five to seven this gen and only three clear leaders (one of which is debatable). I don't think Yooka would do well in that type of market.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think Yooka should take a break now, and they should create something that taps into the nostalgia of like Goldeney and Perfect Dark. Make it objective based, make it an absolute joy to play mutliplayer (online AND splitscreen are a must) and make it science fiction, I guess.

Kart racers are, IMO, a crowded market now. There's at least five to seven this gen and only three clear leaders (one of which is debatable). I don't think Yooka would do well in that type of market.
How is that a crowded market lol

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How is that a crowded market lol

How isn't it? Purely from a numbers perspective, perhaps not, but the competition is so fierce there's no point.

who would buy Yooka Kart when they could buy Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Nickelodeon Kart Racer etc?

Like nobody is checking for any kart racers outside of the first two, there's just no point.

I actually care about Playtonic and want to see them prosper and grow but releasing yet another kart racer is a bad idea for them.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
How isn't it? Purely from a numbers perspective, perhaps not, but the competition is so fierce there's no point.

who would buy Yooka Kart when they could buy Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Nickelodeon Kart Racer etc?

Like nobody is checking for any kart racers outside of the first two, there's just no point.

I actually care about Playtonic and want to see them prosper and grow but releasing yet another kart racer is a bad idea for them.
Five to seven games in the span of 7 years isn't a crowded market. Why would people buy Yooka Laylee then when they can buy Mario Odyssey and Crash N'Sane Trilogy? Why do 2D platformers still come out if that genre has dozens of games per year?

Not to mention, counting games on the scale of the Nickelodeon Kart racer is dumb. The only real competition they'd have is Mario Kart and CTR.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As for other spin-offs, I love the idea of Playtonic being Rare 2.0, so I would really love to see another take on Diddy Kong Racing, specifically with a focus on the Adventure mode that no kart racer since has come close to. They could easily fill out a ten-man roster with Yooka-Laylee characters:

Yooka
Laylee
Dr. Puzz
Rextro
Trowzer
Vendi
Schell
Capital B
Dr. Quack
Queen Phoebee

She's overdesigned? Honestly just is evocative of Jetforce Gemini to me

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

You're not looking at it the right way. Its been almost 6 years since Tropical Freeze. I can't expect anything to be as legendary as that but I'm glad there's finally another game like that after all these years and having played a few hours of Impossible Lair, its a fantastic game in its own right.

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible Lair is amazing, and i like it better than DKTF and yes ive played both. I cant put my finger on why i like it more, but i do.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Impossible Lair yet but I really hope they end up making a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
She's overdesigned? Honestly just is evocative of Jetforce Gemini to me

By that I meant she's given way too much attention for a character who's supposed to be a one-off NPC. They gave her a really cool design, made her the only human in a world of anthropomorphic animals and objects, tell you this backstory about how she's fighting an alien race called the Blamphibians, and give her a multi-part mission that ends in an epic cutscene... only for her to have no relevance to the rest of the game and never show up again. They clearly wanted her to stand out so players would recognize her when she shows up in her own game.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just got the impossible lair and I hope they are able to continue games independently for many years!

I'd love to see their twist on Mario Kart and other genres and hopefully they'll also try themselves on 3d platformers again. They seem to be able to develop games very fast, if that would stay this way, it might be sustainable even with sub stellar sales.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know I wanted this until now.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Indies All Stars Kart has a nice ring to it.

Now this is the SAUCE!!!! I would LOVE!!!!! To see this happen!!

Yooka &Laylee
Celeste
Shovel Knight
Hat in Time
Fez
Meat Boy
Cuphead and Mugman
Little Nightmares kid
Steamworld Character
Bomb Chicken
Bastion
Limbo Kid
Spelunky guy
Hollow Knight!!!

And the one that started it all Braid

Holy crap this would be amazing!!! If the stages could be themed around the different characters!? Would probably be a licensing nightmare, but it's indie, maybe the exposure and a part of the profits would be enough!?

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them making a Kart racer that's different enough to the competition to make sense. Like... Diddy King Racing single player style with Double Dash two racers per car system.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Maybe down the line but keep going with the DK platformers for now IMO. Don't grow too fast.