• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for the next OT Name

• Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Votes: 196 25.9%
  • PS5 on the Horizon

Votes: 90 11.9%
  • Any Given Tuesday

Votes: 174 23.0%
  • But for Sony, it was Tuesday.

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • The Summer of Jin

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Ghost of PS5 Part II

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • We are going to reveal the full slate for |OT10| real SOON.

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the headset talk, I know lots of headsets I noted down earlier, are the Gold's worth it at $100? I so far have a $50 wired one that was recommended bookmarked and them some $150+ wireless options mentioned too.

These these are beautiful and would match my Rose gold DS4 perfectly (as well as my phone haha

sony-3004396-ps4-gold-wireless-headset-1508485.jpg
Ima be perfectly honest. Maybe I have a weird shaped head or something but then things snapped twice. I'm on pair 3 and only cuz it was a gift.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
didn't even think of that, no longer in that area... are you ever able to go back? 😅
You'll encounter the enemy again eventually. You'll be able to go back to areas soon enough. And if you go after the celestial weapons, be careful not to squeeze the controller out of frustration and accidentally reset the game because you just so happened to squeeze L1,R1,L2,R2, and options.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
You're vastly overrating the importance those "choices" give you. There's no lies there.

I've finished the game two times (once on hard on PS3, the other on Survivor on PS4 last year after a friend lent me his account unlocking it), so while there's another higher difficulty that isn't particularly well balanced, I've seen a playthrough of it (and no, the AI doesn't get better on there). Don't worry, I've played the game and know what happens during those moments.

Cool. But you saying I removed elements or used reductive logic doesn't make it a fact.
Unlike how you've insulted me or got pissed off at simple comments even its developers agree on.

Again, that's not what I've said at all, but ok.

edit: anyway, let's drop this topic since people can't read, and are in a completely different argument from the start.
But lol at saying that TLOU isn't linear or give you plenty of options. That's the level of discussion we get here.
You're vastly overrating the importance those "choices" give you. There's no lies there.

I've finished the game two times (once on hard on PS3, the other on Survivor on PS4 last year after a friend lent me his account unlocking it), so while there's another higher difficulty that isn't particularly well balanced, I've seen a playthrough of it (and no, the AI doesn't get better on there). Don't worry, I've played the game and know what happens during those moments.

Cool. But you saying I removed elements or used reductive logic doesn't make it a fact.
Unlike how you've insulted me or got pissed off at simple comments even its developers agree on.

Again, that's not what I've said at all, but ok.

edit: anyway, let's drop this topic since people can't read, and are in a completely different argument from the start.
But lol at saying that TLOU isn't linear or give you plenty of options. That's the level of discussion we get here.
Nobody said it wasn't linear. I think you need to learn how to read. There are open combat encounters all the time in the last of us. Fact. Look at my comment I fucking LISTED them. You saying those gameplay choices are inconsequential is not fact, it is your opinion. You say vanquish has options because of slow mo and dodging but think the difference between stealth and rush are not the same? Look up some TLOU combat runs with only melee and bottles. The way people get creative with the combat is insane and the level design fosters that freedom. Regardless if the game is linear in progression when you get those big scenarios for fights LIKE UNCHARTED, you have all the choices before you to fight. If you play the bill's town chapter and record your playthrough and then look at how I played that chapter I guarantee it would look not even close to the same. That level funnels you into a graveyard then opens up and let's you loose in a big open neighborhood. You can walk right up the street if you want and go right for the high-school but this route is FILLED with enemies. Or, you can slink around take longer, risk wasting more ammo but have a slightly easier time. Why can you go ahead and say these gameplay choices aren't significant? They fundamentally change the user experience and offer a lot of freedom in terms of how you can approach combat. Its the exact reason the MP is bumping today, the gunplay, ammo management, and stealth are sublime together. The mechanics of the game involves many more things besides normal shooting controls but they are layered into the level and resource design so I don't blame you for missing the significance.

All in all I just find it embarrassing that you say it is fact that I am overreaching with these gameplay decisions. That is not a "fact" that is the very definition of an opinion. Thankfully I provided full support and evidence against your claims and you have just insisted to say lol nah its fact your wrong.

OK kid.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Let's just agree to disagree then, because a ton of people agree on TLOU being limited in combat encounters. Nobody usually says it was a master in this area.
I guess it's just not the right thread to talk about it.

I'm not going to say I'm wrong when the counter arguments are basically anecdotes of people not getting what options are nor reading other people's arguments.

Do I need to quote the insult again?

Like I care what you think of my "take". Given the level of your argumentation, your lack of reading ability and you continuously repeating the same words again and again as if it made them any better, I'm not sure I'm ever going to have an interesting debate with you.

People are indeed allowed to disagree. Or so you'd think.
HOW is the difference between stealth and no stealth not an option? Why is Slo mo an option in vanquishs combat but how you use different ammo types not an option in TLOU combat? Out of the myriad weapons you get in grounded you at most get 3 shots. You miss and your done, your out of ammo and you have to scurry around throwing bottles and bricks.

At this point you are just drawing different lines and giving different standardized definitions of what you think "options" are.

Many people criticize many games for things, doesn't mean they have any basis. A lot of people love TLOU story making it easier for the gameplay to fly under the radar but there is a reason TLOU2 has kept combat fundamentally the same. Its fucking great. We can hop in a match of TLOU online and I can show you the ropes a bit. I could teach you some moves you don't know about that may help you vary your playstyle in the single player. Don't get too mad if I beat you too bad though, the game takes a long time to become good at given the depth of the combat.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Ima be perfectly honest. Maybe I have a weird shaped head or something but then things snapped twice. I'm on pair 3 and only cuz it was a gift.
Mine both snapped too. The material doesn't bend very much. I recently got astro a50s on sale and while they are a little pricey I find they do a very good job. They also flew off my head one day and slammed into the concrete floor and were perfectly fine so they are pretty durable.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nobody said it wasn't linear. I think you need to learn how to read. There are open combat encounters all the time in the last of us. Fact. Look at my combat I fucking LISTED them. You saying those gameplay choices are inconsequential is not fact, it is your opinion. You say vanquish has options because of slow mo and dodging but think the difference between stealth and rush are not the same? Look up some TLOU combat runs with only melee and bottles. The way people get creative with the combat is insane and the level design fosters that freedom. Regardless if the game is linear in progression when you get those big scenarios for fights LIKE UNCHARTED, you have all the choices before you to fight. If you play the bill's town chapter and record your playthrough and then look at how I played that chapter I guarantee it would look not even close to the same. That level funnels you into a graveyard then opens up and let's you loose in a big open neighborhood. You can walk right up the street if you want and go right for the high-school but this route is FILLED with enemies. Or, you can slink around take longer, risk wasting more ammo but have a slightly easier time. Why can you go ahead and say these gameplay choices aren't significant? They fundamentally change the user experience and offer a lot of freedom in terms of how you can approach combat. Its the exact reason the MP is bumping today, the gunplay, ammo management, and stealth are sublime together. The mechanics of the game involves many more things besides normal shooting controls but they are layered into the level and resource design so I don't blame you for missing the significance.

All in all I just find it embarrassing that you say it is fact that I am overreaching with these gameplay decisions. That is not a "fact" that is the very definition of an opinion. Thankfully I provided full support and evidence against your claims and you have just insisted to say lol nah its fact your wrong.

OK kid.
The "open" human combat encounters in TLOU are basically the AI having more cover options (since that's how the human one works) in slightly bigger levels, with usually 2-3 main paths you can follow or go back to, and very rarely, some interiors in between (like the sniper fight). The zombie ones have some open sections, but they're nearly always for stealth segments making you follow (once again) a few select paths that you can usually see before getting in the level. Level design 101, like other elements you're describing, that doesn't change anything to its linearity.
All of them leading to the same point, and with detours during (not before/after) those sequences not leading to any interesting option (no, collectibles aren't options).
Of course you can play with only melee and bottles. Because the game was designed as such. Not because some players suddenly got some crazy ideas that the designers didn't envision, or because there's any sort of systemic design. It isn't the case, and no, that doesn't fundamentally change the user experience, nor does it have some hidden "significance" making it "sublime". Feel free to check their GDC videos on the topic, they're available to everyone.

I feel like giving the Vanquish example was a mistake, since just like before with BOTW, apparently people will focus on the other example to make a point rather than looking at the rest of the argument. In the end, TLOU still gives the same experience regardless of the "hm do I shoot or use a knife" choice, given the AI, the equipment available at X time on an average playthrough (by design), . That was the whole point, and still doesn't mean the game is bad. It's playing its cards really well, and why it's recognized as such. Not because it's bringing something new or even particularly interesting to the table in terms of gameplay (which no review has ever said).

Are we done now, "kid" (to take your words)?

edit:
HOW is the difference between stealth and no stealth not an option? Why is Slo mo an option in vanquishs combat but how you use different ammo types not an option in TLOU combat? Out of the myriad weapons you get in grounded you at most get 3 shots. You miss and your done, your out of ammo and you have to scurry around throwing bottles and bricks.

At this point you are just drawing different lines and giving different standardized definitions of what you think "options" are.

Many people criticize many games for things, doesn't mean they have any basis. A lot of people love TLOU story making it easier for the gameplay to fly under the radar but there is a reason TLOU2 has kept combat fundamentally the same. Its fucking great. We can hop in a match of TLOU online and I can show you the ropes a bit. I could teach you some moves you don't know about that may help you vary your playstyle in the single player. Don't get too mad if I beat you too bad though, the game takes a long time to become good at given the depth of the combat.
check above, same argument, same reasoning.
And I'm not sure why I'd like to play TLOU online, especially given how it's not really designed like the single player, and how it wasn't the topic at all. Let's say you've beaten me badly in the online, that doesn't make your arguement any better :p

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Do it!

Everyone starts with "I don't know if it's for me", then 237 hours later they are saying "WHERE'S HIGURASHI 8???"
Higurashi got also adapted into an Anime right? I was kinda turned off by some of the Stuff i saw in Youtube Videos, but that was obviously without Context. Are Anime Adaptions of Visual Novles generally liked by the Fans of those Games? I loved Steins Gate for example, didn't even knew that was a Visual Novel until a few Years ago.

I've been a fan of visual novels for a long time, it's a favorite genre. DEFINITELY try the Zero Escape trilogy if you get the chance, all of them are on PS4 (other platforms too) such an amazing gen of a series, its part VN and part escape room. I've mostly played Otome games as far as visual novels go but been branching out too. Really need to play the Ace Attorney series one day!

I actually watched the Zero Escape Trilogy as a Let's Play, and that was truly an amazing Experience. I actually felt bad that i didn't bought the Games because especially Virtures Last Reward was amazing in my Opinion. I remember that I also wanted to try out AI: The Somnium Files because I liked the Zero Escape Games so much (minus Zero Time Dilemma). The thing is, that Let's Play added for me another Layer to it, because the Commentators where consistently theorizing what could happen next etc. I also wasn't the greatest Fan of the Puzzles and could just skip those in the Videos. I did the same with like the first 3 Ace Attorney Games. When it comes to playing them myself I'm still not completly sure, but if 428 hooks me i definitely will play more.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just agree to disagree then, because a ton of people agree on TLOU being limited in combat encounters. Nobody usually says it was a master in this area.
I guess it's just not the right thread to talk about it.

I'm not going to say I'm wrong when the counter arguments are basically anecdotes of people not getting what options are nor reading other people's arguments.

Do I need to quote the insult again?

Like I care what you think of my "take". Given the level of your argumentation, your lack of reading ability and you continuously repeating the same words again and again as if it made them any better, I'm not sure I'm ever going to have an interesting debate with you.

People are indeed allowed to disagree. Or so you'd think.

Oh you are absolutely right. I don't think it's possible to have an interesting debate with someone who thinks watching videos of a linear game is no different than playing one, especially with all the goal post moving and refusal to address the key absurd claim that started the entire debate.

"Lack of reading comprehension." Don't flatter yourself. You wanted to argue against a strawman and were caught unawares because the rest of us refused to engage in trying to defend things that weren't said by us, nor put forth by us.

Have a good one with the shitty hottake. We're done. Luckily no one else in this thread believes that nonsense.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Oh you are absolutely right. I don't think it's possible to have an interesting debate with someone who thinks watching videos of a linear game is no different than playing one, especially with all the goal post moving and refusal to address the key absurd claim that started the entire debate.

"Lack of reading comprehension." Don't flatter yourself. You wanted to argue against a strawman and were caught unawares because the rest of us refused to engage in trying to defend things that weren't said by us, nor put forth by us.

Have a good one with shitty hottake. We're done. Luckily no one else in this thread believes that nonsense.
Man, you're the only one making strawmen, and you're so angry that you keep making typos. Calm down.

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the headset talk, I know lots of headsets I noted down earlier, are the Gold's worth it at $100? I so far have a $50 wired one that was recommended bookmarked and them some $150+ wireless options mentioned too.

These these are beautiful and would match my Rose gold DS4 perfectly (as well as my phone haha

sony-3004396-ps4-gold-wireless-headset-1508485.jpg

Golds are okay. The hinges snap for some users. If you have a budget of $100 and play largely on PS4, then they are a solid pickup.

But there are other options if you want something more versatile, though they are slightly more expensive.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Higurashi got also adapted into an Anime right? I was kinda turned off by some of the Stuff i saw in Youtube Videos, but that was obviously without Context. Are Anime Adaptions of Visual Novles generally liked by the Fans of those Games? I loved Steins Gate for example, didn't even knew that was a Visual Novel until a few Years ago.

I actually watched the Zero Escape Trilogy as a Let's Play, and that was truly an amazing Experience. I actually felt bad that i didn't bought the Games because especially Virtures Last Reward was amazing in my Opinion. I remember that I also wanted to try out AI: The Somnium Files because I liked the Zero Escape Games so much (minus Zero Time Dilemma). The thing is, that Let's Play added for me another Layer to it, because the Commentators where consistently theorizing what could happen next etc. I also wasn't the greatest Fan of the Puzzles and could just skip those in the Videos. I did the same with like the first 3 Ace Attorney Games. When it comes to playing them myself I'm still not completly sure, but if 428 hooks me i definitely will play more.

Yeah it's a pretty famous anime too, but I don't like it very much, its very rushed and only relies on violence/gore (but that worked I guess).

I was surprised when I first saw Higurashi at Steam and thought "that anime, wtf"

EDIT: typo.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Regarding games and stuff that will be revealed during the PS event. For now we know Silent Hill will. The French journalist said at least Gran Turismo, Bluepoint game and a game annoucned last year without a platform which became a PS5 will be shown.

All I want is someone trusted from the industry hinting at those or giving hinitns about other stuff, so it can ease the wait.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you're the only one making strawmen, and you're so angry that you keep making typos. Calm down.

I've made no strawmen.

Your first post was about how watching a game like TLOU is not very different than playing it. You have yet to defend this claim.

You have said people tried to argue it wasn't linear, but no one did. You invoked examples of other games, which don't really bear any relevance on the point you were making.

You've basically doubled down and tried to shift focus. Good job. But I ain't playing that game.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Update on my Shadow of the Colossus Playthrough
I've now defeated the 10th one, the Remake so far has some Ups and Downs imo. I kinda glitch alot into the Geometry which i didn't remember happening in the Original, on some of the Colossi it was hard to read when i could safely even walk across them without me falling down, i never had to Reclimb Avion so often as today. I found a cool Last Guardian Easter Egg and some Areas like the Forest look really good and I'd say better than in the Original. What i really don't like and think was a poor choice is that every Time you kill a Colossi a Trophy pops up. Like this is supposed to be a sad conflicting Scene, you murder those majestic Creatures and you see how they fall down and you're supposed to think if all of this is even worth it but then the PS4 comes in and says. Hey my Dude, great Job killing this Thing here you get a Trophy, it makes this Moment into a stupid Game Thing, but all in all i really like it so far.
Oh and my favourite Colossus will forever and always be Gaius.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I always wanted to play The House in Fata Morgana because of the Praise it gets around here. I'm just not sure if Visual Novels are my thing. I bought 428 Shibuya Scramble to find that out eventually. I also don't know which Version to get. I remember reading somewhere that the Console Versions have Extra Content, but i could be wrong about that.
Fata Morgana's console version is the best one, yeah. Has updated art at a higher resolution and the two side-stories bundled with it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Fata Morgana is a good game yeah.
I've made no strawmen.

Your first post was about how watching a game like TLOU is not very different than playing it. You have yet to defend this claim.

You have said people tried to argue it wasn't linear, but no one did. You invoked examples of other games, which don't really bear any relevance on the point you were making.

You've basically doubled down and tried to shift focus. Good job. But I ain't playing that game.
Learn to read, what do you want me to say? Not only my posts, but yours too.
And not superficially this time.

Also, good job on not acknowledging your aggressivity issues. Maybe one day you won't have them anymore.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I mean, there's the debate about let's plays in this case.
Of course in games where your choices and what you do influence the gameplay, but in a game like TLOU, what is the difference in the end between playing it and watching someone play it (without commentary)?

Again, not talking about games with multiple choices (Telltale for example), a focus on gameplay (BOTW for example), or similar.

Are you daft? Having control of a player character in a game is completely different from passively watching someone else play. I'm able to immerse myself and assume a role that I personally manipulate at my own pace and tackle situations as I'm experiencing them in the moment. If I'm in a tense situation while playing, I have to make snap decisions that may differ from another person. I have to adapt and get better if I'm unable to clear a specific task or confrontation. The moment to moment gameplay, immersion factor, decision-making, and control over pacing all factor heavily in making a hands-on playthrough of a game like TLoU a different experience over watching someone else do it.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say even playing a visual novel or walking simulator with little to no player choice is far more intimate when you're in control of pressing the buttons and controlling the pace of dialogue or a scene. Maybe I want to linger around a little longer or soak in the atmosphere slowly in Edith Finch, for example.

In conclusion, no, watching a playthrough of Resident Evil 4 is not the same fucking thing as playing it yourself.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Also, good job on not acknowledging your aggressivity issues. Maybe one day you won't have them anymore.

You're both annoying. Talk privately because none of us are impressed.

Oct 25, 2017

*shrugs* Folks on the internet always deflect to "aggressivity" and tone police when confronted by blunt language.

I'm shocked.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Have to agree with the masses here, even in the most non-interactive games they are still designed to be played, not watched, so actually playing any game is a different experience to just watching an LP.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Regarding games and stuff that will be revealed during the PS event. For now we know Silent Hill will. The French journalist said at least Gran Turismo, Bluepoint game and a game annoucned last year without a platform which became a PS5 will be shown.

All I want is someone trusted from the industry hinting at those or giving hinitns about other stuff, so it can ease the wait.

I will be really surprised if that Gran Turismo rumor is true. It seems way to soon to see a new game from Polyphony now.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Don't worry. I realize I contributed to polluting and shitting up the thread. That's my bad. Promise that was my last post on it.

Sorry I'm in a bad mood and came in and just saw one of the only threads on here that usually is more of a fun one and not 100% serious and it's just full of silly sniping. I get it, I do, I don't like their opinion either, I think it's farcical.

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's the debate about let's plays in this case.
..in a game like TLOU, what is the difference in the end between playing it and watching someone play it (without commentary)?
Seriously stop embarrassing yourself. The one who needs to calm down is you. Your posts didn't make any sense and you got called out. Your 'gameplay choices' theory doesn't make any sense either. Just take the L and 'calm down'.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's been 2.5 years since Sport already, if Polyphony isn't ready to show GT7 yet there's something seriously wrong at the studio.

I don't agree tbh, games takes too much time to make now, and they are supporting Sport a lot since release.

But now they are outsourcing, right? (finally), maybe it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.