• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for the next OT Name

• Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Votes: 196 25.9%
  • PS5 on the Horizon

Votes: 90 11.9%
  • Any Given Tuesday

Votes: 174 23.0%
  • But for Sony, it was Tuesday.

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • The Summer of Jin

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Ghost of PS5 Part II

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • We are going to reveal the full slate for |OT10| real SOON.

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Do it. DL2 is good and more JRPG-ish. Dark Cloud 1 was more adventure/Zelda-ish.
Very dense game. A lot of systems. But gets repetitive. I only got 2/3 of the way through or something on a fairly recent playthrough before bouncing off it. Neat game though, absolutely silly how much it has going on. Almost worth it to see that alone. And it does play okay.
Thanks yall.

Well, might as well push it up to my next played game at this point.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Dude you have lied multiple times in this post and were also disingenuous.

First off, all the credit you give vanquish for its combat variety can be applied to TLOU. Sliding vs slow mo vs cover is the same as stealthy vs rush vs half and half for TLOU. Just because its not flashy doesn't mean that the gameplay styles are the same. On my first playthrough of TLOU I was a brute and just sprinted through shotgunning everyone. On higher difficulties I had to adopt more stealth before going completely stealthy.

Second, the game does not expect you to have the same set of weapons in every encounter because ammo management is huge. I may have a shotgun but because I wasted a shot earlier/didn't look ammo it won't be an option in the encounter. Between all my grounded playthoughs I end up with different weapon possibilities at different points. See my earlier comment about Bill's Town which left me with my magnum and a bomb despite having other weapons. On separate playthroughs I may have a shotgun at this part or more bow ammo depending on how I played earlier.

Third, the game actually has many exploration areas and wide open combat encounters so I have no idea why you are lying. Bills Town, suburb after the drain with Sam, lakeside combat encounter with Ellie, sniper in the building, university (huge are with tons of optional combat encounters and exploration), and a few more. These areas all offer tons and tons of replayability to the combat encounters with multiple ways to approach. Its not even close to as linear as you are making it out to be. Of course during certain segments naughty dog wants to lead you down a set piece but for the majority of the game the combat encounters have tons of freedom and there is adequate time for exploration.

After reading your comments it seems you never played the game on a challenging difficulty. Thus making it so you had no choice with ammo and you played the game like gears I guess. I can't even fathom relying on the weapons the game gives you in grounded or hard because ammo is so scarce to come by. In any given combat zone you have at best 3 of your guns with 3 shots in each at random depending on how you played.

Even shivs as a mechanic are the definition of a weighted choice in gameplay. Use now for this clicker or save for potential shiv door. Every mechanic in the game is about a trade off. Making a health kit uses the exact same resources as a molotov. The choice between aggression and defensiveness. It is engraved in TLOU DNA.

Also the AI while not terrific, act in a varied enough way to make combat encounters play out very differently in playthroughs.

See my Bills Town comment for more info on the micro decisions of gameplay.
You're vastly overrating the importance those "choices" give you. There's no lies there.

I've finished the game two times (once on hard on PS3, the other on Survivor on PS4 last year after a friend lent me his account unlocking it), so while there's another higher difficulty that isn't particularly well balanced, I've seen a playthrough of it (and no, the AI doesn't get better on there). Don't worry, I've played the game and know what happens during those moments.
???

I never claimed linearity is an insult. I'm specifically posting against your other claims which rely on some unproven wild assertion that games like TLOU don't have gameplay choice, because your very posts used reductive logic and wording to make it seem like they don't. Which is the hilariously misguided assertion. You working in the industry doesn't give that any more credence.

That's not how it works. If you remove all the elements of choice from something, obviously there are no choices left. But saying something doesn't have choices doesn't actually make it a fact. So you can't posit it a fact, base your argument on it, and then go talking about this other stuff when what's being challenged is one of the foundational pillars of your premise.

I can make any game seem like it has no gameplay choices if I engaged in reductive word choices.
Cool. But you saying I removed elements or used reductive logic doesn't make it a fact.
Unlike how you've insulted me or got pissed off at simple comments even its developers agree on.
Your lot more amounted to basic choices like - slide or shoot? Go all guns blazing or play it as a cover shooter? And that somehow means it has more choice than TLOU? Yeah I disagree

If you think watching RE1, Max Payne etc.. gets you the same experience as playing them then we just fundamentally disagree on game design.
Again, that's not what I've said at all, but ok.

edit: anyway, let's drop this topic since people can't read, and are in a completely different argument from the start.
But lol at saying that TLOU isn't linear or give you plenty of options. That's the level of discussion we get here.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Different post since it's a long one, but feel free to check my previous reply to the others regarding "gameplay choice" before that.

There's two things in your post:
- You're mistaking optional content with the game giving you options. You're still stuck on a path, with the same abilities, and the same choices in the end. Sure, the path gets bigger, and you can choose to use a shiv or a bullet in some situations. But in the end, it leads you to the same kind of opportunities and false choices.
You see from the start when you enter a room or a combat situation which kind of path the AI will take. Doesn't take that Ellie's AI is pretty bad and shows those issues even more.
TLOU's storytelling is great. Its level design is not. Thankfully, I doubt TLOU2 will have this issue, different gen.
- The gameplay isn't complex. Nor is the one in Uncharted, or most games. Again, doesn't mean its gameplay is bad, or that you can't exploit/abuse features in games most complex. That's not the point at all. It's about what players will experience throughout a game, and how many possibilities they have.
You're mixing up different issues there. I agree for your DMC example.
How are those false options? Also the AI vary heavily in the routes they take you are actually straight up lying to someone who just played the game and had combat encounters vary every single attempt due to enemies behaving differently. How is ammo management a false choice I can literally save all my magnum ammo for a fight, blow it all and not have it later.

You act like these microdecisions don't influence the gameplay and make combat encounters change. I can play 30 fights in the generator room and they will all play out differently. Just because the game has a set start and end point and linear progression doesn't mean the moment to noment combat encounters don't have depth.

I encourage you to do more research on combat encounters to better understand how simple variety in resource management can lead to really impactful choices and decisions. How small options in movement can create unrivaled tension when maneuvering a combat zone. The last of us really is a master of this.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
What even are these enemies, it used a kick attack and yeeted Yuna out of battle... Also just got a game over, was 1 step from the save sphere and got into a battle with 2 cannon things and a legs boi and the cannon barraged up twice in a row and leg boi finished off my 1 surviving character. Well then 😅

Also this
Seymour Natus
boss fight is brutal.

How long until that Quarter Results meeting from SIE? 🤔

New to most of this but I assume that's a meeting that reveals sales numbers and such?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
edit: anyway, let's drop this topic since people can't read, and are in a completely different argument from the start.
But lol at saying that TLOU isn't linear or give you plenty of options. That's the level of discussion we get here.
Considering my brother who had trouble in an area before the giraffes because that little bastard managed to deplete all of his ammo, yes, it gave plenty of options to get through it since I had to scrap, hide, and find ways to get through it. Thank god he played it on normal.

The second time I did it? I burnt every last one of those clickers with my flamethrower.

Don't say it doesnt give you options. Accept that you're wrong with that.

Oct 25, 2017
You're vastly overrating the importance those "choices" give you. There's no lies there.

I've finished the game two times (once on hard on PS3, the other on Survivor on PS4 last year after a friend lent me his account unlocking it), so while there's another higher difficulty that isn't particularly well balanced, I've seen a playthrough of it (and no, the AI doesn't get better on there). Don't worry, I've played the game and know what happens during those moments.

Cool. But you saying I removed elements or used reductive logic doesn't make it a fact.
Unlike how you've insulted me or got pissed off at simple comments even its developers agree on.

Again, that's not what I've said at all, but ok.

This all started cause you were like how is playing a game like TLOU all that different from watching a stream/playthrough . Then you went down some weirdo rabbit hole about lack of gameplay choices.

Then you relied on some subtle brag about your industry ties. You've basically used reductive wording and logic the entire time to prop up a shitty hot take.

And me insulting your shitty hot take isn't an insult at you. It's an insult towards your shitty hot take. Which is shit. And continues to be.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
What even are these enemies, it used a kick attack and yeeted Yuna out of battle... Also just got a game over, was 1 step from the save sphere and got into a battle with 2 cannon things and a legs boi and the cannon barraged up twice in a row and leg boi finished off my 1 surviving character. Well then 😅
Use Lancet on kicking enemy to get leg thrust for Kimahri. It's a pretty useless ability but you need it for the trophy so might as well get it. I too am playing FFX right now.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

No one said TLOU is not linear or offers the same gameplay options as Thief. Stop strawmanning. The level of discussion you contributed to here is that you can watch TLOU and get the same experience and all the gameplay designers who worked on that game knew that from the beginning and apparently intended that to be the case. Then when people disagreed with you, all you could have said is I disagree with you

But instead you say this

Your view of yourself as some objectively correct gameplay connoisseur and that everyone who disagrees with you on this topic is somehow lowering the discussion standards of this thread, is misplaced. People are allowed to disagree.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
When it was announced to be getting a PS4 physical edition I knew I had to get a copy

IMG-5663.jpg

Bought the collectors edition too but my CE box is somewhere in my closest
Man I always wanted to play The House in Fata Morgana because of the Praise it gets around here. I'm just not sure if Visual Novels are my thing. I bought 428 Shibuya Scramble to find that out eventually. I also don't know which Version to get. I remember reading somewhere that the Console Versions have Extra Content, but i could be wrong about that.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Man I always wanted to play The House in Fata Morgana because of the Praise it gets around here. I'm just not sure if Visual Novels are my thing. I bought 428 Shibuya Scramble to find that out eventually. I also don't know which Version to get. I remember reading somewhere that the Console Versions have Extra Content, but i could be wrong about that.

Do it!

Everyone starts with "I don't know if it's for me", then 237 hours later they are saying "WHERE'S HIGURASHI 8???"

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
How are those false options? Also the AI vary heavily in the routes they take you are actually straight up lying to someone who just played the game and had combat encounters vary every single attempt due to enemies behaving differently. How is ammo management a false choice I can literally save all my magnum ammo for a fight, blow it all and not have it later.

You act like these microdecisions don't influence the gameplay and make combat encounters change. I can play 30 fights in the generator room and they will all play out differently. Just because the game has a set start and end point and linear progression doesn't mean the moment to noment combat encounters don't have depth.

I encourage you to do more research on combat encounters to better understand how simple variety in resource management can lead to really impactful choices and decisions. How small options in movement can create unrivaled tension when maneuvering a combat zone. The last of us really is a master of this.
Let's just agree to disagree then, because a ton of people agree on TLOU being limited in combat encounters. Nobody usually says it was a master in this area.
I guess it's just not the right thread to talk about it.
Don't say it doesnt give you options. Accept that you're wrong with that.
I'm not going to say I'm wrong when the counter arguments are basically anecdotes of people not getting what options are nor reading other people's arguments.
This all started cause you were like how is playing a game like TLOU all that different from watching a stream/playthrough . Then you went down some weirdo rabbit hole about lack of gameplay choices.

Then you relied on some subtle brag about your industry ties. You've basically used reductive wording and logic the entire time to prop up a shitty hot take.

And me insulting your shitty hot take isn't an insult at you. It's an insult towards your shitty hot take. Which is shit. And continues to be.
Do I need to quote the insult again?
This nonsense gets parrotted by every anime genius who goes, "well, actually, let me explain to you gameplay, depth, choice and game design..." with a twinkle in their eye.
Like I care what you think of my "take". Given the level of your argumentation, your lack of reading ability and you continuously repeating the same words again and again as if it made them any better, I'm not sure I'm ever going to have an interesting debate with you.
Your view of yourself as some objectively correct gameplay connoisseur and that everyone who disagrees with you on this topic is somehow lowering the discussion standards of this thread, is misplaced. People are allowed to disagree.
People are indeed allowed to disagree. Or so you'd think.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Use Lancet on kicking enemy to get leg thrust for Kimahri. It's a pretty useless ability but you need it for the trophy so might as well get it. I too am playing FFX right now.

I didn't even think of that, no longer in that area... are you ever able to go back? 😅

I do want to play it. It's one of those weird things where I've seen it on sale time adn time again, but I always think it's an obvious PS Plus game.

Doing some googling is seems it was a PS Plus game in May 2018, has Sony ever repeated free PS Plus games?

I've been a fan of visual novels for a long time, it's a favorite genre. DEFINITELY try the Zero Escape trilogy if you get the chance, all of them are on PS4 (other platforms too) such an amazing gen of a series, its part VN and part escape room. I've mostly played Otome games as far as visual novels go but been branching out too. Really need to play the Ace Attorney series one day!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure them golds properly charged in the next two hours DriftingSpirit
😭

That was when I knew I was going to like the game. That routine was fire.

Going back to the headset talk, I know lots of headsets I noted down earlier, are the Gold's worth it at $100? I so far have a $50 wired one that was recommended bookmarked and them some $150+ wireless options mentioned too.

These these are beautiful and would match my Rose gold DS4 perfectly (as well as my phone haha

sony-3004396-ps4-gold-wireless-headset-1508485.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.