• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for the next OT Name

• Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Votes: 196 25.9%
  • PS5 on the Horizon

Votes: 90 11.9%
  • Any Given Tuesday

Votes: 174 23.0%
  • But for Sony, it was Tuesday.

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • The Summer of Jin

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Ghost of PS5 Part II

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • We are going to reveal the full slate for |OT10| real SOON.

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
I would definitely prefer Sony to be more transparent with the PS5 like they were in 2013 with PS4 but since leadership has changed since then I guess they want to do things differently. If nothing else we'll see how this approach effects sales if at all. Here's hoping June delivers.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm over the marketing talk but I am straight up DYING at the Random Tuesday hype just to end up with Xbox news.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this reaction for a reveal date is kinda pointless, especially since it is actually further than expected
Well you can't blame PS fans for being impatient.
Regarding next-gen, the competition revealed the console design, showed a teaser trailer for a next-gen 1st party game, revealed their road map for the whole year (2020), etc.

Sony so far:
Here is a jpeg of our next-generation controller and the PS5 logo.
dodo80kvm.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that it's probably about time they shared a roadmap now, but I continue to be baffled by reactions like this. Ultimately, as long as you have the required information before launch, does it matter how it's delivered?

Again, I agree the cloak and daggers stuff is getting tedious now, but I'm really not sure I agree that the "messaging is a mess".

It's not, people are just incredibly impatient. As for each new bit of information, It's only become an issue since Xbox announced dates for game reveals last week and today. Then you have people praising the "crisp and clear" rollout of Xbox news like it's a feature of the console. All of this stuff feels so steeped in fanboyism, (no offense to the person you quoted) none of it matters we aren't going to care about any of it when we can actually buy one of these things.

Oct 25, 2017
We'll get that ghost trailer soon don't worry(if it's more cinematic shots o we gonna have a conversation and I dare somebody to get super defensive about it)

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I have a sneaking feeling that PS5 will not do as well as PS4. Not because of the competitor doing better but their own piss poor internal marketing. We shall see if that changes closer to launch but for now I think PS5 will do significantly worse than PS4. Every news about the PS5 has been pretty boring and underwhelming compared to the PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a sneaking feeling that PS5 will not do as well as PS4. Not because of the competitor doing better but their own piss poor internal marketing. We shall see if that changes closer to launch but for now I think PS5 will do significantly worse than PS4. Every news about the PS5 has been pretty boring and underwhelming compared to the PS4.
Pfft nah it'll sell incredible, it'll do fine , games will still be amazing. Don't mean you can't say something bout the marketing but as far as it effecting anything? It won't that's the difference.
What if I played and hated it?
👀
Is such a thing even possible

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019

All this marketing and PR talk only matters for the enthusiast people. The mainstream audience doesn't even now about this. The major proof is that Sony put a logo and revealed the controller and made the internet explode.

It's lame, but it really doesnt matter that much.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The record unemployment numbers are a bigger problem for PS5 than their lack of marketing 6 months before launch.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
lol but why is there the need to have your hand held in telling you something is coming. You getting two highly anticipated games coming out within a month of each other, but fuck that let me get information on something dropping 5 months from now?
You get like this with Apple or Samsung? You know its coming, but you don't really find out until they tell you. Sure you get leaks and rumors, but does that stop them from telling YOU come join us next week then they unveil their products?

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
All this marketing and PR talk only matters for the enthusiast people. The mainstream audience doesn't even now about this. The major proof is that Sony put a logo and revealed the controller and made the internet explode.

It's lame, but it really doesnt matter that much.

When marketing and PR doesn't reach mainstream audience then it failed on each possible level.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019

Sonys relative silence wont matter at all. The PS5 will sell less because the market is changing and the more expensive price.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
lol but why is there the need to have your hand held in telling you something is coming. You getting two highly anticipated games coming out within a month of each other, but fuck that let me get information on something dropping 5 months from now?
You get like this with Apple or Samsung? You know its coming, but you don't really find out until they tell you. Sure you get leaks and rumors, but does that stop them from telling YOU come join us next week then they unveil their products?

The whole hype train thing is weird. We're all puppies, waiting for a pat on the head. The pat will come and everyone will lose their minds, gg everyone's happy!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
lol but why is there the need to have your hand held in telling you something is coming.

I don't know. Are we sure Sony is going to advertise their biggest new product in 7 years? Microsoft's announcements of announcements have me concerned.

In all seriousness... I think it's a mix of people being on tenterhooks for info, and the ability to make a competition out of anything between these two companies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely prefer Sony to be more transparent with the PS5 like they were in 2013 with PS4 but since leadership has changed since then I guess they want to do things differently. If nothing else we'll see how this approach effects sales if at all. Here's hoping June delivers.
While Sony right now is less active than they were back in 2013, the difference now is more of MS doing amazing in PR than Sony doing less.

Even in 2013 Sony had an event in Feb then went for months without anything until E3. MS is dropping news now every month while Sony is still sticking to their old approach of bigger event instead of sprinkling news everywhere alongside the big event.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
As someone who works in marketing... Sony's marketing team has been pretty clear with what they've been doing and I'd argue it's been working for them quite well. If you are reacting to the knee-jerk week to week or day to day marketing plan, that's on you being impatient. The larger plan is clearly there, so just be patient people, no matter how difficult that is :)

Also, please stop saying "But the PS4 launch was.." because the PS4 was launching into an entirely different market than the PS5 is. You can't just copy and paste the PS4 plan into 2020 and expect it to work the same.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know. Are we sure Sony is going to advertise their biggest new product in 7 years? Microsoft's announcements of announcements have me concerned.

In all seriousness... I think it's a mix of people being on tenterhooks for info, and the ability to make a competition out of anything between these two companies.
There is just 1 concern I have, and its not even Sony's wheelhouse of can they or not. I am in doubt that PS5 is dropping this holiday. Yep AMD said they ramping, they going to make sure both consoles hit this holiday, but I just have my doubts. And I won't blame em for it, we are in a wild situation globally, and too many people are eager to get back to breathing down everyone's backs again.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Is such a thing even possible
Lol, I'm the kinda guy that doesn't like games to be frustrating...and Bloodborne's first area did a pretty good job of that to say the least.

It wasn't a genre or setting I've ever been interested in, but the critical acclaim and GAF-hype got to me and I had to try it for myself. Couldn't have regretted it more tbh lol.

I'll go sit in the corner, now.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Well you can't blame PS fans for being impatient.
Regarding next-gen, the competition revealed the console design, showed a teaser trailer for a next-gen 1st party game, revealed their road map for the whole year (2020), etc.

Sony so far:
Here is a jpeg of our next-generation controller and the PS5 logo.
dodo80kvm.jpg
Sony has done more than release a picture of their controller and the PS5 logo 🙄

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Oh, good that you reminded me! So let's talk about Sony JRPGs and why they should bring them back / make more.

I mean... just watch and listen to this. And thell me you don't L O V E it:

(From the anime, but the theme is still the same ^_^)

Ive played Wild Arms 3 recently, pretty whack game, but its got a nice opening.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

Thank you. Your posts are always the most sensible ones.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
This is contrary to every metric we have to gauge interest... social media metrics aren't exactly scientific, but they're pretty clearly demonstrating PS5 is in a good position with regard to interest / mindshare. And the console is in a position to have a great launch lineup. Idk what more you'd want?

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I'm the kinda guy that doesn't like games to be frustrating...and Bloodborne's first area did a pretty good job of that to say the least.

It wasn't a genre or setting I've ever been interested in, but the critical acclaim and GAF-hype got to me and I had to try it for myself. Couldn't have regretted it more tbh lol.

I'll go sit in the corner, now.
Yea you better go sit in that corner bout to send some blood starved beasts ya way

Ghost next ghost next!!!!?!?! O yay tlou2 I guess but ghost next!!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
A product that is not for sale for another 6 months doesnt need marketing yet

Status
Not open for further replies.