• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for the next OT Name

• Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Votes: 196 25.9%
  • PS5 on the Horizon

Votes: 90 11.9%
  • Any Given Tuesday

Votes: 174 23.0%
  • But for Sony, it was Tuesday.

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • The Summer of Jin

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Ghost of PS5 Part II

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • We are going to reveal the full slate for |OT10| real SOON.

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the fifth mention of Blasto I've seen over the weekend.

Also clearly we all need the announcement of Knack 3 in these trying times.

I need to get Knack one day to try. I remember it being one of the very first games Sony showed off for the PS4. That and Little Big Planet are games I've always been curious about too.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this amazing highlight reel of WWS output this generation plus other 3rd party exclusive t on Reddit:

There are some omissions (like GT Sport and Concrete Genie) but it's great. Shows you why so many people are excited for the PS5.
That's awesome. Been such an amazing gen.

It looks polished.

It's functional.

It looks great.

That's a great job. The cute style reminds me of Mini Ninjas.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It does have merit. The publisher, not the developer, generally owns the rights to the games in the regions where they distributed them. A contract can be written in many different ways but it's pretty clear that contracts were not written with a digital future in mind back then.

Just look at our beloved PS2 JRPGs:
Sony published Dark Cloud 1 & 2 and they are on PSN.
Legaia 2 was not published by Sony outside Japan and is not on PSN.
Wild Arms 3 was published by Sony and is on PSN.
Wild Arms 4 & 5 were not published by Sony outside Japan and is not on PSN. Same with Alter Code f.
Arc tL: Twilight of the Spirits was published by Sony and is on PSN.
Arc tL: End of Darkness was not published by Sony outside Japan and is not on PSN.
Okage was published by Sony and is on PSN.
Rule of the Rose was not published by Sony outside Japan and is not on PSN.
Rogue Galaxy was published by Sony and is on PSN.

It's not some freakish coincidence that the versions and games published by Sony outside Japan are on PSN while the ones that were only published in Japan by Sony aren't. Sony would have to work with the original publishers if they wanted to distribute their versions. Often it's not even possible to do that.
Interesting

Well I hope Sony figures it out... but first they need to show some interest in doing such.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
If that were me the second I tried to get hit 200 times in a row I would suddenly not be able to get by a single one... Hey! Maybe that's the secret to doing it! 😋

That's always how it seems to be, when you try and set out for something specific you don't get it but when you don't even try is when you do! haha

I successfully dodged 1 lightning bolt! Makes the near 100 ones that hit me not matter!

Also I'm finally out of the Thunder Plains! \o/

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
That's always how it seems to be, when you try and set out for something specific you don't get it but when you don't even try is when you do! haha

I successfully dodged 1 lightning bolt! Makes the near 100 ones that hit me not matter!

Also I'm finally out of the Thunder Plains! \o/
That's good, I hated the Thunder Plains more than any other area and it got really fun again after that.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
That's good, I hated the Thunder Plains more than any other area and it got really fun again after that.

The enemies there reaaaaly hated Rikku too, trying to get her to take an action and not die until her next turn in order to get exp was awful as nearly every enemy went straight for her and one shot her. Got enough exp for her to get more sphere grid nodes but I'm trying to wait until I get a lvl 2 unlock sphere since she starts right next to a useful ability behind it.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
This is like the fifth mention of Blasto I've seen over the weekend.

Also clearly we all need the announcement of Knack 3 in these trying times.
Well considering you could find multiple Blasto tags in Marvel's Spider-Man (2018), I'm not surprised. 🙂

Which has brought me to think about this, what if... Insomniac Games were to bring back Blasto in big ways. There are a lot of similarities between Ratchet & Clank and Blasto gameplay-wise and writing-wise, albeit the quality of the latter was not on the same level as the Ratchet games. Insomniac Games would be the perfect fit for that if SIE wanted to. 🤔

Last edited:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Late to Insomniac talk, or maybe I'm not, I'm 15 page behind.

The potenital support Insomniac will provide to Sony's VR output is underestimated, and what makes them such a good buy. They cover both the regular system and hte VR system, and put out games for both relatively fast. Hope we see a really cool VR game from them soon.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Little out of the loop but what's the current expectation for Sony events and reveals?

Are we expecting a minor event in May, Summer blowout in July, another blow out in Autumn and then a first year and beyond tease in winter?

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we might get more PSVR games at the PS5 launch before PSVR2 makes an appearance. I don't think we'll get HL Alyx yet til PSVR2, but I wonder what else we might see.
From a first party perspective, I'm curoius what VR will look like on Ps5 before VR2 comes out. Will they make games for VR1 until VR2 comes out, or will they rely on 3rd party VR games until VR2 launches, and focus instead on building up a good launch year.

Fallout 4 VR will also probably join HL as a 3rd party game that couldn't be done on VR1 but will defintely come out when VR2 launches.

Random thought of the day. Surprised Rockstar hasn't done GTAV VR. They can even combine the V's to call it GTAVR.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Late to Insomniac talk, or maybe I'm not, I'm 15 page behind.

The potenital support Insomniac will provide to Sony's VR output is underestimated, and what makes them such a good buy. They cover both the regular system and hte VR system, and put out games for both relatively fast. Hope we see a really cool VR game from them soon.
Might need to wait a bit more for this as they just released Stormlands late last year, no?
Little out of the loop but what's the current expectation for Sony events and reveals?

Are we expecting a minor event in May, Summer blowout in July, another blow out in Autumn and then a first year and beyond tease in winter?
There's one thing I am expecting for some reason and it's the announcement of a new acquisition, no joke. 😐

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like we'll get at least get the launch games in May, or June if that's when we get the PS5 event, plus a tease of what's to come. (Scared to say July incase the first event is in July)

With that, we're probably looking at the big 3rd parties that have PS marketing. Rule of thumb, if it's a big 3rd party game and it isn't at MS show on Thursday, it's a safe bet they'll be at Sony's event. Not always teh case, but for stuff like WB games or Square games I feel like that's the best way to look at it, since they usualy rely on either Sony or MS.

What I expect to see first party wise,
Ratchet
Demon Souls
Some Sony JApan hijinks
Maybe a GT game, though I'm skeptical
Horizon tease
Pipe dream TLOU MP at launch.
Silent Hill teae, if it is real.

After that, they'll probably go back to SoP formula, slowly teasing the games expected/ planned to come out the next year. So Maybe later this year we could see a Spiderman or GoW tease, if there's any plan for them to hit 2021.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Might need to wait a bit more for this as they just released Stormlands late last year, no?

There's one thing I am expecting for some reason and it's the announcement of a new acquisition, no joke. 😐
I ain't using Soon like some of you think of when Shinobi says soon for something, lol.

I meant in the next year and a half we get some type of VR game at least announced. THen again, I imagine we won't see anything VR from them until VR2.

Almost missed your acquisitoin comment, since it wasn't directed towards me, but damn do I love a good acquisition convo. I think Bluepoint is a smart get for Sony, at least in terms of the next one. Remakes are becoming more and more requested by fans, and are seeing huge sales when done right and when the IP is big enough, so I think it'd be smart for Sony to get ahead of the game and acquire them. Makes sense considering most of the games BP have made are Sony IP games, but the more and more popular remakes get, the more valuable BP becomes to other publishers imo..

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Current rumor is that their event is June 4th, but the actual console reveal will come sometime before then.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Generation wise for me:

Incredible:
Spider-Man (GOTG contender)
God of War (GOTG contender)
Ratchet and Clank
Persona 5 (GOTG contender) (haven't played Royal yet)
Astro Bot
Medevil
Driveclub
Shadow of the Colossus
Concrete Genie

Meh:
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding

Giving Another Chance:
Horizon Zero Dawn

Overall, excellent gen for Sony. Lots of hits, very few misses for me, personally. Won't be getting a PS5 immediately but Ghosts of Tsushima will be an amazing swan song for me.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Do you people think the development cycle for exclusives will be shorter? We are not changing from architecture but devs will have new features to learn. I really wish we could see some crazy output of games, like one every 2 years (yeah, I know I'm dreaming).

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020

The Summer Game Fest is supposed to upload their schedule this 'Tuesday' and since Sony is involved reasonable (or not) speculation has it that they will officially announce their first event date on Tuesday.
Do you people think the development cycle for exclusives will be shorter? We are not changing from architecture but devs will have new features to learn. I really wish we could see some crazy output of games, like one every 2 years (yeah, I know I'm dreaming).
Only if our expectations to get bigger and better games reduce which I don't see happening. Most likely development times of 3-4 years, and so it is possible we will see more studios moving to the two team route.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Generation wise for me:

Incredible:
Ratchet and Clank
Astro Bot
Medevil
Driveclub
Shadow of the Colossus
Concrete Genie

Meh:
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding

Giving Another Chance:
Horizon Zero Dawn

Overall, excellent gen for Sony. Lots of hits, very few misses for me, personally. Won't be getting a PS5 immediately but Ghosts of Tsushima will be an amazing swan song for me.

I'm biased since this is the first real gen I've had since start to finish/and as an adult but I thought it was a great one. So many games I loved and many more great ones I need to play still.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Guerrilla said they want to be able to release games every 2-3 years. But two would really be a best case scenario.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
While I'd like to think that, I'd reckon COVID and its effects will set everything back quite a bit for a while.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Generation wise for me:

Incredible:
Ratchet and Clank
Astro Bot
Medevil
Driveclub
Shadow of the Colossus
Concrete Genie

Meh:
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding

Giving Another Chance:
Horizon Zero Dawn

kramer-freaking-out-Jerry-Seinfeld-seinfeld-calm-down-1376957747g.gif

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Summer Game Fest is supposed to upload their schedule this 'Tuesday' and since Sony is involved reasonable (or not) speculation has it that they will officially announce their first event date on Tuesday.

Only if our expectations to get bigger and better games reduce which I don't see happening. Most likely development times of 3-4 years, and so it is possible we will see more studios moving to the two team route.

The full schedule isn't getting announced Tuesday. Geoff Keighley said in his Reddit AMA that it will be announced on "a rolling basis," meaning we'll get part of the schedule on Tuesday, while the rest will be revealed as it's ready.

As for first-party exclusives development time, I think that's why AA and external publishing are all the more relevant / necessary. First-party needs more titles like MediEvil, etc. thrown into the mix every few months or so to keep the exclusives offerings fresh, while leading into the bigger AAA releases.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Generation wise for me:

Incredible:
Ratchet and Clank
Astro Bot
Medevil
Driveclub
Shadow of the Colossus
Concrete Genie

Meh:
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Infamous Second Son
Death Stranding

Giving Another Chance:
Horizon Zero Dawn

Looks like you would like Wipeout Omega Collection and Dreams

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
The full schedule isn't getting announced Tuesday. Geoff Keighley said in his Reddit AMA that it will be announced on "a rolling basis," meaning we'll get part of the schedule on Tuesday, while the rest will be revealed as it's ready.
Oh yeah. I was just thinking that maybe they are waiting for Tues so that Sony can announce their first event and then they can add upload the schedule with that added in. The only reason to think this may be true is that they said Tues for the schedule and didn't just announce it with the event. But who knows, probably this is grasping at straws.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
in terms of first party, it feels like with each new gen, the devs are trying to go bigger and broader with their games, and as a result of this it's taking longer and longer to release their games especially when they're new IP. Just something htat needs to be accepted, adn this obviously isn't a First party thing, it's a industry wide thing where the AAA games are taking longer than they use to, with only a few outliars like From and Insomniac.

It bothered me at teh start of this gen, but I've accpeted dev cycles for what they are, and there's never been a moment this gen where I haven't had a game to play, and ultimately I think that's the most important thing.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Looks like you would like Wipeout Omega Collection and Dreams
Oh, I totally forgot about Wipeout, amazing collection.

I'm biased since this is the first real gen I've had since start to finish/and as an adult but I thought it was a great one. So many games I loved and many more great ones I need to play still.
Yeah! I'm still missing out on some stuff, I'll get to a few more missing titles when I have the funds/Time.

Sorry lol

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
in terms of first party, it feels like with each new gen, the devs are trying to go bigger and broader with their games, and as a result of this it's taking longer and longer to release their games especially when they're new IP. Just something htat needs to be accepted, adn this obviously isn't a First party thing, it's a industry wide thing where the AAA games are taking longer than they use to, with only a few outliars like From and Insomniac.

It bothered me at teh start of this gen, but I've accpeted dev cycles for what they are, and there's never been a moment this gen where I haven't had a game to play, and ultimately I think that's the most important thing.

That's how I feel too, I feel the need to start being a bit more selective about what I buy/play as there's just too many options and never a long period of time where something I don't care about might release. I know more dev time doesn't automatically equal less crunch but if longer development cycles can somehow give dev's a bit more rest/less crunch then I'm more then happy with waiting.

Yeah! I'm still missing out on some stuff, I'll get to a few more missing titles when I have the funds/Time.

I'm currently laid off due to the virus and have college summer classes starting early next month so the last thing I'm spending what little money I have is on games as I need to save for college costs but I'm glad I have quite a few first party sony games that I bought awhile ago and many other highly regarded games that when I get the time I can play/enjoy. It's very unlikely I'll be able to afford a PS5 before next years holiday season but that just gives me more time to get through this gens games I haven't played yet.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

As for first-party exclusives development time, I think that's why AA and external publishing are all the more relevant / necessary. First-party needs more titles like MediEvil, etc. thrown into the mix every few months or so to keep the exclusives offerings fresh, while leading into the bigger AAA releases.
Huh. I thought the phases were about the ones who have events now, but it is just the publishers who have agreed at this point.

Welp, I have moderate expectations for Tuesday now.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen next gen gameplay. Godfall and that horror game, quantum error?

Lol, im sure we'll get something more substantial in a few days though.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're projecting what you want onto rumours and then trying to frame what you want as the developers doing it their way. lol.
There is nothing to project. What I wanna say is simple. Demon's Souls is a Sony game. Sony can do what they wanna do with it. Sony doesn't need to ask anyone. Bluepoint doesn't need to ask anyone besides Sony. Their next-gen game is "re-imagination", according to Bluepoint themselves. So if they are working on Demon's Souls, I'm sure it will be awesome. It's their project, let them do what they wanna do. It's their own version. That's all.
I mean, if Sony wants to piss off a frequent partner and start swinging their dick around for no reason at all, I guess they could.
They aren't pissing off anyone. Sony is working on their own IP. And that's fine. They can do whatever they want with their games.
But to me, the world doesn't need two competing Souls franchises. They should just put their talent toward making new things instead of making games just to spite From.
It clearly looks like Dark Souls is done. And Demon's Souls is a Sony game. Like I said many times already, Sony can do whatever they want with their IP. They aren't doing anything to "spite From". That just the story you made up for yourself so you feel better. Sony is a company. So is From Software. It's all about making money. And Sony is working on their own IP. Fans want more Demon's Souls. They get more Demon's Souls, thanks to Sony. And that's perfectly fine. You are just angry, because for whatever weird reason you think nobody is allowed to work on an official Souls game (what Demon's Souls is) without From Software's involvement. Like it's some kind of sacrilege. And that's simply weird and wrong.
From Software also made Deracine for SIE, so Im sure their relationship is fine.
It is fine. Certain people are just making stories up so they can support their false narrative.
Haven't played it in ages, but still fond memories of playing it whenever it comes up, such a good game.
Still love it. One of my first PSP games :)

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It clearly looks like Dark Souls is done. And Demon's Souls is a Sony game. Like I said many times already, Sony can do whatever they want with their IP. They aren't doing anything to "spite From". That just the story you made up for yourself so you feel better. Sony is a company. So is From Software. It's all about making money. And Sony is working on their own IP. Fans want more Demon's Souls. They get more Demon's Souls, thanks to Sony. And that's perfectly fine. You are just angry, because for whatever weird reason you think nobody is allowed to work on an official Souls game (what Demon's Souls is) without From Software's involvement. Like it's some kind of sacrilege. And that's simply weird and wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no Souls without From, the same way there's no Metal Gear without Kojima. Sony has no ability to execute on that kind of gameplay or design without them, and they shouldn't even try. If they want their own From-less action RPG series, they should make a new IP that won't have that kind of baggage tied to it.

But hey, it's clear we're never going to come to any kind of agreement or middle ground on this topic. We're both wasting our time in this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.