• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for the next OT Name

• Moves 100 times faster than |OT8|

Votes: 196 25.9%
  • PS5 on the Horizon

Votes: 90 11.9%
  • Any Given Tuesday

Votes: 174 23.0%
  • But for Sony, it was Tuesday.

Votes: 138 18.3%
  • The Summer of Jin

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Ghost of PS5 Part II

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • We are going to reveal the full slate for |OT10| real SOON.

Votes: 107 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4633053315402301845zjzw.png

Wait does this mean things leaked aren't all real? If so that's awesome to hear! :)
The leaks are real. He is talking about all those lies about ND ("a ND employee who didn't get paid by ND leaked all that stuff" nonsense) that some moronic alt-righters and fanboys were posting everywhere.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Am I weird because I buy Sony consoles for Japanese games but I don't care for most Sony made games? I really wish they were more visually appealing. I usually don't care for the artstyle or main characters in Sony games.
Nah. I love WWS games alot but they aren't why I buy Playstations. It's that Playstations get that stuff PLUS all the good 3rd party western stuff PLUS all the good 3rd party Japanese stuff

Oct 25, 2017
Sucker Punch is awesome and Ghost of Tsushima looks great. But I still wanna see more gameplay details etc. It's time.
Sucker Punch is awesome. I loved both InFAMOUS 1 & 2, but Second Son was a disappointment to me, but I gave them the benefit because it was their first game from a new-gen that just started months ago from its release.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucker Punch is awesome. I loved both InFAMOUS 1 & 2, but Second Son was a disappointment to me, but I gave them the benefit because it was their first game from a new-gen that just started months ago from its release.
I liked Infamous 1+2 more, too. But Second Son was still good and First Light was awesome :)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
My only issue with 2nd son was that it was waaaaay too short. Gameplay wise I enjoyed it much more than I1&2. I really wanted another game with Delsin this gen *sigh*

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucker Punch made three Infamous games and two great expansions. Doing a new IP now is okay. Even tho I want to see Infamous returning on PS5. Great series.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think the core of Second Son was fine. Gameplay felt really good, The third set of powers was really fun and traversal was really satisfying. The powers did feel a little too similar to each other, there's not really much side quests of note to do, could have done with more diverse enemies to fight against and didn't quite like the protagonist. I think GOT will turn out much better given the time it's been in development.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the core of Second Son was fine. Gameplay felt really good, The third set of powers was really fun and traversal was really satisfying. The powers did feel a little too similar to each other, there's not really much side quests of note to do, could have done with more diverse enemies to fight against and didn't quite like the protagonist. I think GOT will turn out much better given the time it's been in development.
It was fine. Just not as good as 1 and 2 imo. But First Light was awesome.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the alpine:
61QdY3%2BnlHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Definitely agree about the color variants on DualSense! Would love a black and orange or orange and purple Halloweeny one

That's actually really nice! Gives a nice festive vibe too!

Wow! do you have a link to this on uk Amazon? Thanks so much !

Here!

DualShock 4 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 4 - Berry Blue: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Buy DualShock 4 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 4 - Berry Blue from Amazon.co.uk. Everyday low prices on a huge range of video game accessories.

Seems to be temporary out of stock from amazon directly though.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now. Ghost will be GOTY.

I suck so badly at twitch based action games and will never be able to play Nioh or Sekiroe but want to play a Samurai game so badly. It's why I'm so excited for GoT. It should be accessible to someone like me and it looks downright amazing.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
TLOU2 has to be the clear favorite. Tsushima screams "high 80s" type of game - popular, successful, not a serious contender for the top spot. Cyberpunk will be too divisive.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think Animal Crossing has to be the in the mix based on its global impact. It's the type of game that non-gamers know now.

But how many websites will vote for it, and how many of those non-gamers will care to vote for it in gaming site polls? It's kinda like Pokemon to some extent. Pokemon is ridiculously popular, but never really in GotY conversations. And quick search shows that Sword and Shield was picked as GotY by 1 website.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 has to be the clear favorite. Tsushima screams "high 80s" type of game - popular, successful, not a serious contender for the top spot. Cyberpunk will be too divisive.
Ghost of Tsushima is still a wildcard for me. It looks good and it will be damn good, because we're talking about Sucker Punch here. But man, I need to see more / need more gameplay details.

Oct 24, 2019
But how many websites will vote for it, and how many of those non-gamers will care to vote for it in gaming site polls? It's kinda like Pokemon to some extent. Pokemon is ridiculously popular, but never really in GotY conversations. And quick search shows that Sword and Shield was picked as GotY by 1 website.

I don't think that analogy works too well-- Sword and Shield was carried by the strength of the Pokemon brand, but a ton of fans were incredibly disappointed by it and it didn't make really any splash whatsoever in pop culture.

AC: NH is beloved by fans, has reached the type of mainstream status where celebrities like Brie Larson tweet about it, and has been widely held up as one of the few wholesome bright spots in the midst of a very scary and uncertain time. Plus it has staying power throughout the year with seasonal events.

Now all that isn't to say that AC will win, but I think it's apples & orange to Sword & Shield. I think it will definitely be nominated at the least, even if Cyberpunk or Last of Us is more likely to win.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that analogy works too well-- Sword and Shield was carried by the strength of the Pokemon brand, but a ton of fans were incredibly by it and it didn't make really any splash whatsoever in pop culture.

AC: NH is beloved by fans, has reached the type of mainstream status where celebrities like Brie Larson tweet about it, and has been widely held up as one of the few wholesome bright spots in the midst of a very scary and uncertain time. Plus it has staying power throughout the year with seasonal events.

Now all that isn't to say that AC will win, but I think it's apples & orange to Sword & Shield. I think it will definitely be nominated at the least, even if Cyberpunk or Last of Us is more likely to win.
Yea it absolutely deserves to be up there. It don't gotta win but as a nom I think so. The smash bro's of the list this time
In what way is Cyberpunk more divisive than TLOU? Genuinely curious
Its so weird cuz I see ppl saying that about tlou2 outside of this thread and as tlou hater number 1 I can't for the life of me see a single divisive thing about it lol. Them games gonna clean up and ima just be here crying in a corner hoping dreams gets at least one

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
In what way is Cyberpunk more divisive than TLOU? Genuinely curious

- The way it handles mature themes will be more divisive. The Last of Us has a very controlled, grounded tone in its brutality. Cyberpunk (as a genre) tends to be self consciously "edgy." This will piss some people off.

- The mode(s) of gameplay will be more divisive. The Last of Us is a refinement of a well-honed gameplay formula. Stealth, combat, traversal. Cyberpunk will be CDPR's first attempt at: first person combat, driving, stealth. Doubtful they nail all of these on the first try.

Plus, generally, as an open world game Cyberpunk will be buggier and likely run worse on consoles, which is where most reviewers will play it. Plus zombies are more popular than cyberpunk as a setting. Plus, I mean, The Last Of Us 1 is one of the most beloved games ever.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
God no. I wish! I can't make gifs :P

Same. We can't all be Angie! haha

The last time I tried making a gif it took me over 30 minutes and this was the best I could do.

giphy.gif

(Those are my 2 cats and the black one annoys the grey/white one all the time so I could see her wanting to do that to him haha)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little reminde how good GoT looks 😁

Same. We can't all be Angie! haha

The last time I tried making a gif it took me over 30 minutes and this was the best I could do.

giphy.gif

(Those are my 2 cats and the black one annoys the grey/white one all the time so I could see her wanting to do that to him haha)
You're already better at this than me 😂

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I think Animal Crossing has to be the in the mix based on its global impact. It's the type of game that non-gamers know now.

I'm biased as Animal Crossing is my favorite Nintendo 1st party series but I think New Horizons has a real shot to take it. Cyberpunk sadly just isn't a game for me (not really a fan of sci fi) but could definitely see TLoU2, Cyberpunk and Animal Crossing all fighting for that honor. FF7R and GoT probably well in the mix too. Will be a very interesting year though for that award.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima is still a wildcard for me. It looks good and it will be damn good, because we're talking about Sucker Punch here. But man, I need to see more / need more gameplay details.

Yeah, GoT could very well be SP's Uncharted 2 moment. ND had been recognized as a solid developer ever since the Crash games, but U2 is where they jumped up to being one of the industry leaders. A studio where whenever they're releasing a new game people immediately start talking about it as a GotY contender. There aren't many studios that are able to achieve that level of respect. I mean, we're now at a point where they're so good that people will literally make up developers that worked there just to claim that they now work at another studio.

I don't think that analogy works too well-- Sword and Shield was carried by the strength of the Pokemon brand, but a ton of fans were incredibly by it and it didn't make really any splash whatsoever in pop culture.

The main point i'm getting at is that something being hugely popular, including among non-gamers, doesn't necessarily lock it in as a GotY contender, or something that's even regularly spoke about as a GotY contender. Maybe another good example of that is Fortnite Battle Royale. That's even bigger than AC, and in 2018 it got a total of 4 GotY picks. I think there's often times a big disconnect between games that end up being phenomenons to some extent, and those that are generally believed to be the best games released that year.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GoT could very well be SP's Uncharted 2 moment. ND had been recognized as a solid developer ever since the Crash games, but U2 is where they jumped up to being one of the industry leaders. A studio where whenever they're releasing a new game people immediately start talking about it as a GotY contender. There aren't many studios that are able to achieve that level of respect. I mean, we're now at a point where they're so good that people will literally make up developers that worked there just to claim that they now work at another studio.
lmao well said and so true 😂

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

You're definitely making the case for my next game to be Uncharted 2 after I beat FFX. I played/beat one and in the last OT shared my pain and suffering on my time getting the Plat for uncharted 1 but I was indecisive on which game(s) to play after I beat FFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.