• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They probably expected more from Death Stranding and less from Days Gone and the opposite happened.
Yeah, especially when Days Gone helps PlayStation to have their 5th best quarterly profit ever
Expectations for Death Stranding should have been « ambitious » like they said after the over performance of Days Gone

UK: Dreams comes in at 8th. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s4-exclusives-yakuza-and-dreams-crack-top-ten
Behind FIFA, CoD, Yakuza Remastered Collection, Star Wars, GTA5, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Minecraft.
Hope someone can guess a range from that

Oct 25, 2017
EbqqaDd5_400x400.png

It's Tearaway Unfolded at 81. Which is still a great score, but TU totally didn't deserve it. It's quite a slog in some places. The only MM game I just can't sing the praises of.
Sure, but I would just look at new releases.

UK: Dreams comes in at 8th. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s4-exclusives-yakuza-and-dreams-crack-top-ten
Behind FIFA, CoD, Yakuza Remastered Collection, Star Wars, GTA5, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Minecraft.
Not bad.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean 8 isn't bad all things considered but it's not great considering it'll be so quiet for sales at the moment. Shocked Yakuza is 3rd but again sales will be so low

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
You know what, had it been out of the top 10 (nevermind 20), the thread would have gone nuclear for a couple of hours. Lets take it as a modest victory and carry on XD

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Since we are talking sales numbers:
You can see how many users have played Dreams by looking at Media Molecules Dreams account (because every new player follows them by default).

Since Friday the number of Dreams users rose by ~60k to almost 200k players (early access users included).
Obviously that's not exactly a sales number, because lots of people might have bought it but didn't have time to play yet. Still, it's nice to see it constantly grow :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I'd have loved Dreams to chart higher. On the other hand, Yakuza charting 3rd? The same series that just a few years back weren't selling at all? About fucking time more people realise how awesome this series is!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony will consider making the Dreams a base app for the PS5? Its file size is really small, so it won't take up much additional space.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
For context...
Medievil charted at 5,
Gravity Rush 2 charted at 16,
Gravity Rush Remastered outside the top 30,
Tearaway Unfolded at 33,
Concrete Genie at 36.

Dreams still has a shot, with good legs at being a modest success

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So, this time this is really made in Dreams.

Reminds me of Below only with faster and more flashy combat.

That's the stuff I want to see made in Dreams.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams being used as a learning tool is a fantastic idea as well hope they make it happen
Alex Evans: I've not been asked that question before... I obviously can't say PlayStation 5 is brilliant! Although it's been announced so I can say the word. I mean, obviously, we're going to look at that, we're a PlayStation studio. Dreams actually already runs on PlayStation 5 - there you go, that's the scoop. But that's just us being devs and exploring. I'd be lying to you if I said we weren't going to explore, but there's literally zero plans at the moment. I think I've learned my lesson - we met in 2015 and I said [Dreams] is nearly done! And then here we are, four or five years later, and it *is* done. But my new self, I will admit that we're exploring things but I'm not going to commit to when it comes out.

I would love to see dreams used in different contexts. Education is a big one for me, I'd love to see Dreams used in school, and theatre and other places.

www.eurogamer.net

Why did Dreams take Media Molecule seven years to make?

Finally, some seven years after it first broke cover at 2013's PlayStation Meeting as it accompanied the unveiling of t…

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious :
What allowed you to say that Death Stranding marketing was ineffective?

What allowed you to declare that DS wasn't successful?

We have no sells numbers and no idea of the expectations...
Where did I say that it wasn't succesful? That part is unrelated to my words. As for the first point, I consider it that way because it was, without a doubt, the biggest commercial hope that SIE had for the May '19-May '20 period, or whenever The Last of Us had to release. That after years of continuous bombardment (which I commend them for), the whole focus of attention set on it since June or earlier, for the launch to come and go as it did, with no legs to speak of, and two and a half millions being the highest estimate thrown around, it makes me think that at some level, something didn't work, either the game, the marketing, or both.

Knowing that Death Stranding got all kinds of accolades and awards (a fact I totally agree with), yet apparently considerable groups of people had no idea on what the game was really about, until it got released or they got their hands on it, I put the blame on the marketing team. They tried to sell it as the new star-studded, weird action-adventure from the creator of Metal Gear. What we played was a weird, contemplative exploration-trekking game from the designer of Boktai. This disparity always works against the company after the first few weeks, that's what we've been seeing since its debut back in November.

By the way, speaking of expectations, it was said last week during Q3 earning announcement that software sales didn't meet them, both in an external and internal key. No title was specifically called out (they don't even give numbers anymore, unless they're earth-shattering), but aside of Death Stranding there was Medievil and Concrete Genie. One or all of them didn't reach internal projections.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I gotta play Dreams but the score is way lower than I expected. This is basically one of the most ambitious games ever made, being the most ambitious this generation. I do think they definitely screwed up having such a comically small campaign. It should have been 7-8 hours long minimum with an awesome story like LBP1 and LBP2, to give the full experience.

Would be nice if they work on the campaign for the PS5 launch, have VR support and online ready on the day of the launch. Give more options for more tools, different controls, options and have it ready with all the dreams made in the next 8 months. PS5 version should realistically rated higher.

Way lower? Why? You were expecting a 117 percent score?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
So, this time this is really made in Dreams.

Reminds me of Below only with faster and more flashy combat.

That's the stuff I want to see made in Dreams.

Yeah, beautiful isometric games like that is also what I like to see :)

There was already a longer time ago a short clip of an isometric game with well done water.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Just finished Art's Dream and all can say is : MM is amazing <3
Can't wait for whatever content they bring next !

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Based on? You're little finger?
You're extremely defensive about this issue, and that's coming from someone who loves the game... Based on the available data from NPD, Famitsu, European/Asian charts, as well as databases available on the web which calculate the number of PSN accounts that have started an app.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Please... give a marketing team and some decent budget and I would have done a better job than Sony for this

You can totally do a video 5-6 min long which explains how Dreams works and what kind of game/experiences you can make
+ explaining the fact that you can already play several hundreds/thousands of creations already made since early access
+ Mm doing their own stuff like Art's Dream and that they will add more later

Invest in big streamers to play the game

Doing a press event with previews 2 weeks before launch and then streamers will carry the game from that until launch

Dreams has the same marketing than Concrete Genie, aka nothing
And that's not 3 tweets that will change anything, especially when around the release, they allow Naughty Dog to release a dynamic theme and talk about TLOU Part II and therefore Dreams news were hidden + Avengers pre-order details which didn't help Dreams either to have its own moment to shine

I'm not even sure Dreams will chart top 10 PS4 games in NPD Feb, hope I'm wrong

Agreed. This "it's hard to market Dreams" is rubbish. Sony doesn't deserve to be excused for sending this game out to die.

They didn't even bother to have a preview event (I swear even Concrete Genie got one?). Now that would have been some great exposure for the game.

It just looks like Sony had no faith in the sales potential of this game and didn't want to throw good money after bad.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting question now is where does Media Molecule go from here?

Obviously Dreams will receive updates indefinitely, quite possibly even new MM developed playable content like Art's Dream. But I would also expect them to start brainstorming a new IP as well. Maybe something less... ambitious than Dreams, kinda like Tearaway. After Dreams, it's kind of hard to imagine what's left to do in the "Play-Create-Share" space but they're an absurdly creative bunch so who knows!

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Obviously Dreams will receive updates indefinitely, quite possibly even new MM developed playable content like Art's Dream. But I would also expect them to start brainstorming a new IP as well. Maybe something less... ambitious than Dreams, kinda like Tearaway. After Dreams, it's kind of hard to imagine what's left to do in the "Play-Create-Share" space but they're an absurdly creative bunch so who knows!

It's time for Media Molecule to jump on the conflicted middle-aged guy train.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Ideally they'll make another game like Tearaway while they continue to support Dreams. It doesn't even have to be a platformer of single player game. I think they could make a solid multiplayer game if they wanted to.

Oct 26, 2017
Was gonna impulse buy Dreams on Amazon but it's not even in stock lol. Restocking coming on Feb 19. Not suure if it sold out initially or Amazon didn't bother ordering much lol.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
At the very least, Outriders looks like a competent game in gameplay videos. Combat in particular looks really solid and guns seem to have a nice feel and impact to them.

They actually were considering a sequel to Left Alive and wanted to make Quiet Man a franchise. Thankfully, they didn't.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I spent last weekend at Tsushima Island and... oh man, I can't wait for the Ghost of Tsushima. What a beautiful place.

NA1iqdQ.jpg

XLbi42j.jpg

nfUJdWm.jpg

UitIicm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.