• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Every new studio will face all these expenses, it's not a new thing and Sony knew it from the beginning.
Opening a new studio is always a massive money sink because well that's how things work and a 19 devs studio owned by a multi-billion corporation is not going to cost THAT much

It is if you are not getting tax reliefs because of exiting EU. Which is something I've hearing could have been one of the accelerators on top of them not having anything after 4-5 years.

So far they have not had success with Profitability with Studio in UK. So I don't know what to tell you.

I mean Lion head was closed and they actually have sold multi million dollar sellers. Take that for what you will.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Depending on the PSVR2's hardware, Sony could try to put at least a VR mode on all of its great games in the next generation. I mean, an God Of War 2 VR Mode is way easier to promote than a completely new IP.

I hope many of their big next gen games are complete playable in VR.

Again only VR modes which are over after less than two hours is not enough for the second gen of VR.

Oct 26, 2017
It is if you are not getting tax reliefs because of exiting EU. Which is something I've hearing could have been one of the accelerators on top of them not having anything after 4-5 years.

So far they have not had success with Profitability with Studio in UK. So I don't know what to tell you.

I mean Lion head was closed and they actually have sold multi million dollar sellers. Take that for what you will.

The UK tax relief is not actually given by the UE but the british government and several studios applied for it https://www.myriadassociates.com/services/video-games-tax-relief/

Lionhead was closed because they sinked over 75 million USD on a failed game and Lionhead was a much bigger studio than Manchester.

Oct 25, 2017
78 isn't good for a video game. And it doesn't sell well. For example, it isn't in the top 10 best selling PlayStation VR game in the US.

PlayStation VR Worlds, another launch game, is in this top (which doesn't include bundles). There is 6 games published by Sony, but not Rigs.

Driveclub should have launched in 2013. It was launched one year later, and still had a lot of technical problems. Yes, those problems have been fixed later, but it doesn't change the fact that the game should have launched earlier and in a better condition.

So should Gt sport

also goddamn am I laughing at ppl getting mad at ppl upset the studio closed but nobody blinked a fucking eye at the "meh it's vr 99% of ppl don't care resources can be used elsewhere post" to a damn studio closure

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The UK tax relief is not actually given by the UE but the british government and several studios applied for it https://www.myriadassociates.com/services/video-games-tax-relief/

Lionhead was closed because they sinked over 75 million USD on a failed game and Lionhead was a much bigger studio than Manchester.

That 75 million was called Fable Legends and it was a Moba F2P game that they admitted had no clue on how to make. Manchester was literally setup to make VR, they worked closely with London to get a good handle on VR tools and such by helping them with Blood and truth.

If they could not get their game going and into a good state early enough, makes sense to condense. They are not selling the studio since they rented the space. ANd someone in the other thread mentioned moving people around space wise was happening as well.

Won't know unless we get some more detailed info on what they were working on.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The difference here is that we're willing to give more leeway to a traditional multiplayer but demanding more of Dreams for daring to step outside it
I think the difference, in regard to what I was saying, is that a multiplayer experience like the one you're mentioning has been carefully crafted by a team of professional developers, even if it needs the engagement of a community to be fully enjoyed. With something like Dreams, however, the crux of the question is that aside of those three hours in the campaign, everything else will depend on that community, come from that community, be created by that community.

And that's okay, It could be heaven for people who want to see what regular users or amateur developers can create with those tools, but it's simultaneously a poor proposal for those of us who only want to invest our money and time in content created by Media Molecule, like they did before with Little Big Planet or Tearaway.

In short: I might play or not a multiplayer game, accepting that it's been designed by a group of people who know their craft; I'd ignore most content created by anonymous users, because as cool as they can look, as many as they might be, they'll rarely equal in scope and quality what a professional team can do. This is why we play God of War, instead of Volgarr the Viking; why I enter Youtube to see an HBO trailer or a professional-made music video, not a random channel shot in a basement. I understand there's an audience for both; I think the best approach is then to cater to both groups, not putting all the weight on the community.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In short: I might play or not a multiplayer game, accepting that it's been designed by a group of people who know their craft; I'd ignore most content created by anonymous users, because as cool as they can look, as many as they might be, they'll rarely equal in scope and quality what a professional team can do. This is why we play God of War, instead of Volgarr the Viking; why I enter Youtube to see an HBO trailer or a professional-made music video, not a random channel shot in a basement. I understand there's an audience for both; I think the best approach is then to cater to both groups, not putting all the weight on the community.

I respect your opinion and view point. But the bolded... Trust me when I say this...

You are missing out on some absolute gems and a ton of home grown talent.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Anthony Newman (PII's co-director) told Sunhi this last year

I'd be pleased as porridge with my intricate work being shown off by Sunhi or Much. They really highlight just how good the models and animations look in games today. They also tend to play games in the most intricate of ways and show things off that a lot of people who played through the game themselves probably didn't even get to see.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
78 isn't good for a video game. And it doesn't sell well. For example, it isn't in the top 10 best selling PlayStation VR game in the US.

PlayStation VR Worlds, another launch game, is in this top (which doesn't include bundles). There is 6 games published by Sony, but not Rigs.

Driveclub should have launched in 2013. It was launched one year later, and still had a lot of technical problems. Yes, those problems have been fixed later, but it doesn't change the fact that the game should have launched earlier and in a better condition.

Evo was 60 devs. Compare that with playground/turn 10. They were not funded properly for an ambitious AAA launch game.

Because that's just how business works? Sony isn't a charity that will bleed money to this studio with nothing to show for.

It ain't personal, that's just how life is. From overreacting to Sony abandoning VR, to people claiming Dream will be a failure... that is definitely immature behavior lol

people are emotional beings, so when things they're invested in are being killed, well...you'll get a reaction. Psvr is being vita-ed. And that will upset some people, just like when sony abandoned simcade/arcade racing by closing evolution upset fans like me. Childish or just human?

but yeah, you are right. Sony is a cold, calculating corporation owned by bankers, billionaires, and funds. And they make all their decisions on what benefits that class of people. It is good to remember that.

btw, why do you think Media Molecule is safe from the accountant's axe?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Don't remember me ;( I'm still super sad.....

Yea did you hear about all the bullshit Amell went through for his ending scenes? I heard it was a shit show for a lot of the cast members because there were so many different PR, production people from different sets.

After being on a show 8 years, that's not really a great way to treat someone who dedicated their mind/Body/talent for that long. Hope he goes on to greener pastures.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, although it's supposed to be really comfortable to use over long periods of time. I'd say its biggest problem is that you're probably just better off buying a nice pair of headphones instead. And you can get them at a cheaper price.
True. Must feel weird having those "speakers" around your shoulders / on your neck. Headphones for me please.
Yea did you hear about all the bullshit Amell went through for his ending scenes? I heard it was a shit show for a lot of the cast members because there were so many different PR, production people from different sets.

After being on a show 8 years, that's not really a great way to treat someone who dedicated their mind/Body/talent for that long. Hope he goes on to greener pastures.
What? No I didn't. Got a link? All I heard lately was this and this. Crazy.
edit.
Ah, found it. It was the Michael Rosenbaum podcast. Haven't listened to it yet.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I respect your opinion and view point. But the bolded... Trust me when I say this...

You are missing out on some absolute gems and a ton of home grown talent.
You're most probably right, but that's something that we all have to deal with. How at the end of the day, when we can sit and play for a while, or read a book or watch a film, we're making a choice and, in that choice, we're always going to miss more than a few things.

Who knows, perhaps eventually I come to see it with a different set of eyes, for now I'll have to follow it from a distance.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Trolling
🤔

Invites.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.