• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I thought the game was going to have something like three different campaigns? All we'll have is a ~2-hour story?
Three different campaigns? Where did you hear that. No, it has a 2-3 hours singleplayer campaign.
I don't know if anyone follows a bit stock market, but Sony stock up more than 4% to $73.54 (peak at $73.86) following good quarterly earnings, beating expectations

It wasn't this high for at least 15 years (or more) I guess, I should look at past data
Yep. Sony doing good :)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Tbh I haven't really seen any people with potential knowledge -like the usual ones- tease February (unless you count some of those Twitter """""insiders""""").

It's just that it's really the first month of the year where things can get moving wrt videogames, that Sony has gone relatively silent for a long time (big event-wise, I mean) and, of course, the 2013 PSM.

With Sony not going to E3, I can really see a May event. Shame, I really want to know things now, but hey.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Three different campaigns? Where did you hear that. No, it has a 2-3 hours singleplayer campaign.

Yep. Sony doing good :)
I guess I misunderstood the articles talking about "three intertwining stories in three different genres." I interpreted that as three 2-3 hour campaigns with a framing device rather than one 2-3 hour campaign.

I'm very disappointed, honestly. The vast majority of stuff I've played in Dreams is janky and not ready for primetime, so for the stuff I was REALLY excited about to only be a couple hours worth is sad.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I misunderstood the articles talking about "three intertwining stories in three different genres." I interpreted that as three 2-3 hour campaigns with a framing device rather than one 2-3 hour campaign.

I'm very disappointed, honestly. The vast majority of stuff I've played in Dreams is janky and not ready for primetime, so for the stuff I was REALLY excited about to only be a couple hours worth is sad.
Dreams whole core, concept (whatever) is based on it being a tool to create games, music etc. That's its thing. I always knew that the singleplayer thingy we will get will be short. It's the community that will create stuff. I bought the early access thing to support Media Molecule and to try out some of the fan creations. I'm going to play and finish the 2-3 hours campaign and.... that's it for me then. Not really interested in more Dreams stuff.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams whole core, concept (whatever) is based on it being a tool to create games, music etc. That's its thing. I always knew that the singleplayer thingy we will get will be short. It's the community that will create stuff. I bought the early access thing to support Media Molecule and to try out some of the fan creations. I'm going to play and finish the 2-3 hours campaign and.... that's it for me then. Not really interested in more Dreams stuff.
Yeah, I get that. It's just that the LBP games were just as much for players as it was for creators, whereas Dreams is pretty much just for creators who can appreciate the work that goes into these things, even if the vast majority aren't actually good, polished gameplay experiences.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I get that. It's just that the LBP games were just as much for players as it was for creators, whereas Dreams is pretty much just for creators who can appreciate the work that goes into these things, even if the vast majority aren't actually good, polished gameplay experiences.
Yep, but that was expected. Dreams is just different. More tool, less game (at launch). Imo a nice experiment and concept.... but that's about it. Not really my thing.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for this basic question: Do I have to buy Dreams to play the creations? I'm not creative at all but I assume there's gonna be lots of weird and funny stuff being produced by the community.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for this basic question: Do I have to buy Dreams to play the creations? I'm not creative at all but I assume there's gonna be lots of weird and funny stuff being produced by the community.
I'm not creative at all, I bought it just to play other's creations :D
So far the game is a gem

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was the original Last of Us release date.

Should've deleted it.
index58jx9.jpg

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow no kidding. That's an insane amount of work
Jeez that is awesome.
Yooo that is amazing!

IP that resonates will get that type of attention to detail from Cosplayers. I've seen a few here in Europe of Aloy. Less mechanically elaborate than the above, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail took was on another echelon entirely.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, sucks for the Manchester team. Hope the staff are able to get other work and move on quickly.

Wonder what happened, it takes a while to set up a studio and have it put out hits. Hopefully this is the only such case of cuts being made.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about Manchester Studio the other day. Crazy that they existed for five years and didn't even announce anything. Best of luck to those affected!

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its quite impressive the amount of UK studios PlayStation has shut down since 2010

Bigbig Games (best known for Pursuit Force on PSP)
Studio Cambridge (Killzone Vita but also known as being a legendary support studio)
Liverpool. Wipeout
Evolution. Motorstorm and DriveClub
London Studio has had its fair share of layoffs too.
And now this Manchester Studio with TBH I didnt even know existed.

Thats a heck of a lot of studio closures for one geographic era. Well before Brexit was a thing Sony was trying to GTFO of the UK

The only other studios I can think they shut down the last 10 years would be Zipper? I am sure there has to be more.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Checking back on the opening post of this very thread, there is little-to-no information about the Manchester studio. Just that they were rumoured to be working on a VR game based on certain job listings. Funny that I only just found out they existed today.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting tidbit, I think.
Went to Gamestop to buy a used PS3 (i don't know, I felt nostalgic and I have a shit ton of PS+ games so I figured might as well give them a go). Cashier tells me that maybe I should hold off on buying one because the "next generation Playstation will play all the previous titles from all the way back to PS1". I acted *surprised* by the news but I still bought it and went my way.
It was kinda interesting, you'd think he would hold off from saying something like that since it would mean no sale for him. Anyways I don't know how much GS employees know about the next gen consoles but I know about the rumors that PS5 might have full BC, so it could be the same for him.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Its quite impressive the amount of UK studios PlayStation has shut down since 2010

Bigbig Games (best known for Pursuit Force on PSP)
Studio Cambridge (Killzone Vita but also known as being a legendary support studio)
Liverpool. Wipeout
Evolution. Motorstorm and DriveClub
London Studio has had its fair share of layoffs too.
And now this Manchester Studio with TBH I didnt even know existed.

Thats a heck of a lot of studio closures for one geographic era. Well before Brexit was a thing Sony was trying to GTFO of the UK

The only other studios I can think they shut down the last 10 years would be Zipper? I am sure there has to be more.

Hasn't the UK market been pretty volatile in general for developers? It's always surprised me that with the exception of Guerrilla, all of Sony's European studios were located in the UK.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Went to Gamestop to buy a used PS3 (i don't know, I felt nostalgic and I have a shit ton of PS+ games so I figured might as well give them a go). Cashier tells me that maybe I should hold off on buying one because the "next generation Playstation will play all the previous titles from all the way back to PS1". I acted *surprised* by the news but I still bought it and went my way.
It was kinda interesting, you'd think he would hold off from saying something like that since it would mean no sale for him. Anyways I don't know how much GS employees know about the next gen consoles but I know about the rumors that PS5 might have full BC, so it could be the same for him.

Just a man who have seen the rumors.
No retailers knows anything for now.

Hasn't the UK market been pretty volatile in general for developers? It's always surprised me that with the exception of Guerrilla, all of Sony's European studios were located in the UK.

Fiscal reasons

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

This does make me wonder, is Brexit going to have an impact on game development in the UK? Could the Manchester closure just be a sign that Sony is hedging its bets with future game development in that region and more and more we'll be seeing games produced within the EU?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dont know but somehow MS can expand Rare and turn Playground games into a 2 studio team. And Codemasters is still finding news ways to exist.

But yeah. I am surprised Sony never opened / bought other European studios on the continent or in a hotspot like Sweeden.

Likewise its strange they never opened a studio in Canada like everyone else.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Back in 2016, a Gamestop told my brother and I Sony was shutting down PSN for the PS3 by the end of the year. My brother went there to pick up a used PS3 as well. That Gamestop employee was pretty insistent on trying to get him to buy a next gen console instead. We both knew he was full of shit and walked out with the PS3 and a copy of Black Ops. Moral of the story is, Gamestop employees don't know shit and you shouldn't believe when they try telling you stuff like that.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know but somehow MS can expand Rare and turn Playground games into a 2 studio team. And Codemasters is still finding news ways to exist.

But yeah. I am surprised Sony never opened / bought other European studios on the continent or in a hotspot like Sweeden.

Likewise its strange they never opened a studio in Canada like everyone else.
Sony's defunct UK studios were pretty clearly bleeding money. Pretty different than the consistent hits studios like Playground pump out and they weren't working with big licenses like Codemasters with F1.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
A part of me wonders if the they are just moving the talent from Manchester Studios to London Studios. Probably would be more cost effective that way since they are both VR studios.

Mar 26, 2019
2 games compared to 4 though. Iron Man was slated to come out in Feb last financial.
Yeah Sony has Marvel's Iron Man (San Mateo Studio), Resident Evil 3 Remake (Visual Arts), Predator: Hunting Grounds , The Last of Us Part II, and Boundary. So it's definitely a better lineup then MLB: The Show 20 and Dreams.
A part of me wonders if the they are just moving the talent from Manchester Studios to London Studios. Probably would be more cost effective that way since they are both VR studios.
Manchester and London are extremely far apart, they aren't trucking everyone's lives that far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.