• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
For those who cannot follow the investors call in some hours, here some things that they will say for sure:

- They expect a big increase in profits thanks to the arrival of the new generation.
- They believe the PS5 will have a great launch lineup to attract consumers.
- They expect to have the fastest transition in company history.
- They expect good results with Hermen Hust in charge of the WWS.

Am I forgetting something else so obvious like those ones? 🤔

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For those who cannot follow the investors call in some hours, here some things that they will say for sure:

- They expect a big increase in profits thanks to the arrival of the new generation.
- They believe the PS5 will have a great launch lineup to attract consumers.
- They expect to have the fastest transition in company history.
- They expect good results with Hermen Hust in charge of the WWS.

Am I forgetting something else so obvious like those ones? 🤔
Pretty sure console launches usually result in increased losses, not profit due to hardware being sold at a loss or at best a minimal profit.
Found this old Tweet from Zhuge, as you can see whenever Sony releases a new console the profits take a hit and even go in the red.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how much their strong software lineup combined with a potential uptick in Plus subscribers due to a new console could mitigate the losses that the PS5 will initially bring.
Losses probably won't be on par with previous console launches thanks to more revenue opportunities.

Yeah for sure PS4 is bringing a ton of money and that won't stop anytime soon, they are in a much better position to launch a new console compared to before.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Chances of any news coming out of the investors call is near zero right?

We are likely just going to see some raw numbers, a passing statement saying something about "the future of Playstation", and call it a day?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Chances of any news coming out of the investors call is near zero right?

We are likely just going to see some raw numbers, a passing statement saying something about "the future of Playstation", and call it a day?

They mainly just talk in generic terms. Like in the last investment meeting that brought up the purchase of Insomniac and said they looking for more studios as well. Which is something they'd previously said anyway. Don't expect news as far as them saying "Oh, we're going to hold the PS Meeting on (insert date)".

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's just ocurred to me just how many of Sony's studios work on VR.

It's 7 out of the ~14 studios (Japan, Manchester, London, Pixelopus, Mm, Insomniac, Polyphony).

4 of their external partners and potential future collaborators work on VR (Camouflaj, First Contact, Clap Hanz, Impulse Gear) and despite what people think about Ready At Dawn, they (like Insomniac) would be a great fit making both AAA and VR games for Sony as a first-party studio, especially given their newfound efforts.

It makes me hopeful that their focus on VR going into the next-gen will be much stronger.

Mar 26, 2019
It's just ocurred to me just how many of Sony's studios work on VR.

It's 7 out of the ~14 studios (Japan, Manchester, London, Pixelopus, Mm, Insomniac, Polyphony).

4 of their external partners and potential future collaborators work on VR (Camouflaj, First Contact, Clap Hanz, Impulse Gear) and despite what people think about Ready At Dawn, they (like Insomniac) would be a great fit making both AAA and VR games for Sony as a first-party studio, especially given their newfound efforts.

It makes me hopeful that their focus on VR going into the next-gen will be much stronger.

PixelOpus doesn't do VR, that was a combination of San Mateo Studio and WhiteMoon Dream that did the VR side of things for Concrete Genie.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Losses probably won't be on par with previous console launches thanks to more revenue opportunities.
What were you referring to with the "tomorrow" post? A little clarification might be helpful, since some seem to be under the impression that it might have something to do with the PS5. Better to make sure people aren't getting excited over nothing.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony won't be talking about financials for next financial year right? They will mention next quarter (Jan-Mar). They could talk about PS Meeting for this quarter and how they don't expect much first party sales because Iron Man and The Last of Us II is next quarter.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony won't be talking about financials for next financial year right? They will mention next quarter (Jan-Mar). They could talk about PS Meeting for this quarter and how they don't expect much first party sales because Iron Man and The Last of Us II is next quarter.
They still have MLB The Show and Dreams tho.

Oct 25, 2017
What were you referring to with the "tomorrow" post? A little clarification might be helpful, since some seem to be under the impression that it might have something to do with the PS5. Better to make sure people aren't getting excited over nothing.
Just looking forward to tomorrow like everyone else (even if they deny it 😏 ). 🙏🏾

We had the W101 stuff today. I wouldn't be surprised if more stuff dropped as soon as tomorrow.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And in November they will throw a stack of money on the counter and walk agressively out of the shop with a PS5 box under their arm, mumbling "..fucking arrogant pricks".
wpCOpEf.gif

Feb 23, 2019

I suspect they may talk about it a bit

There's no way they can avoid the big PS5 question tho

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 games compared to 4 though. Iron Man was slated to come out in Feb last financial.
Yeah Iron Man is releasing in May now. There's still some nice stuff for this quarter, including two 1st party games :P
11/02: Yakuza 5
14/02: Dreams
13/03: Nioh 2
17/03: MLB The Show 20
20/03: DOOM Eternal
31/03: Persona 5 Royal

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure console launches usually result in increased losses, not profit due to hardware being sold at a loss or at best a minimal profit.
Found this old Tweet from Zhuge, as you can see whenever Sony releases a new console the profits take a hit and even go in the red.

Historically yes. But I don't think the situation will be the same with the PS5's launch. I believe it's a vastly different proposition financially.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Guess for tomorrow is Sony will announce no PSX for 2020 and will instead celebrate with fans via a series of blog posts.

Oct 25, 2017
W101 port is the stuff... so logically the only deduction can be that the horizon zero dawn pc port is getting announced tomorrow 🤔😉
Oh no.

Historically yes. But I don't think the situation will be the same with the PS5's launch. I believe it's a vastly different proposition financially.
Given the sheer scale of a console launch, they'll have losses but I think they'll recover pretty quickly. The subs and things of that nature should give them a fairly good cushion.

Guess for tomorrow is Sony will announce no PSX for 2020 and will instead celebrate with fans via a series of blog posts.
This not a bad guess lol.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
My prediction for the investors call:
Jimbo, mid presentation, motions the cameraman. A livestream starts. Hulst pulls a curtain back revealing all the Capcom and Zenimax execs. Jim turns to the camera flips us off and proudly proclaims "Welcome to the Sony Monopoly era!". The ceiling opens up, as Sam Lake drops down, Lady Gaga in the Superbowl style, announcing Doctor Strange and Alan Wake 2 as PS5 exclusives. The closing shot of the stream shows Sam Lake literally turning into Max Payne then gunning down all non european investors. Blue screen comes up. "It's time to play!", "Tune in to the official PS5 reveal Feb. 20".

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a leak from a verified insider from that other place. I can't link to it but since he's gone through a verification process here's what he's saying

• PS5 price is $499/£449, only one model
  • PS5 launch games include: Gran Turismo 7, MLB The Show 21, Demon's Souls Remastered, Godfall, Legendz (new IP from Sony Santa Monica Studio)
  • Games teased at PS5 reveal: Horizon: Zero Dawn sequel, Marvel's Spider-Man sequel, new sci-fi IP from Naughty Dog, new IP from SIE Japan, new IP from London Studio, Final Fantasy XVI, new Resident Evil
  • PS5 specs "almost on par" with Xbox Series X,
Yeah, I want to believe we will get Gran Turismo on launch, but I dont think we will. We never will. Maybe some hoorah about enhancements toGT Sport as Backwards Compatibility (Cerny did have a GT Sport with haptic feedback, and PD has been playing with Raytracing in the past, maybe that's the enhancements we get)

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
So I have been trying to find a way to display my god of war lithograph and happened to just be ordering this Link last of us part ll artbook.
Now I really want the slip or whatever they are using for the lithograph to use for my god of war one. Problem is I dont know what they are called or how to find them.
Would I be best off just using a picture frame?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the sheer scale of a console launch, they'll have losses but I think they'll recover pretty quickly. The subs and things of that nature should give them a fairly good cushion.

I am no analyst but I predict a huge and tangible shift towards PS4 on launch day. From what I'm seeing on the ground here in Europe I expect PS5 to double PS4's day 1 launch number and sell a minimum of 2 million units day 1.

Given the amount of publisher support and the fact that many publishers seem to be holding their games back for PS5's reveal event. I expect a well crafted and well executed marketing campaign that'll make previous add campaigns like Spider-Man look miniscule.

.Marvel's Avengers marketing and exclusive content
.Next Gen COD + Next Gen Fifa marketing and exclusive content
.Exclusives you need a PS5 to play
.Roadmap of future exclusives
.GOT, TLOU2, and FF Remake PS5 remasters
.PSN's Eco system and the jaw dropping records PSN sets as an entity by itself

You couple that with the momentum, goodwill, and mindshare PS has here in Europe and globally...

I mean, PS4 launched with Knack and Killzone and zero publisher support outside of Housemarque. Today, the conversation and positioning of PS is a different thing entirely. Essentially PS has been selling us on a PS5 purchase since 2014 and I think we enthusiasts often overlook how well that pitch has been made. We get glimpses of it here and there

But collectively our enthusiast focus is more narrow and often forgetful of the much larger and broader audience. It's why I'm certain a "weaker than the competition" PS will have absolutely zero bearing in the bigger scheme of things but that's another conversation entirely.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Quick question in one of our regular "WTF is Sony doing with Dreams" back and forths, someone said something about the single player campaign being 2 hours long...
Please tell me i read wrong, or that person misquoted. To be fair, LBP story modes were never too long, but they had replay value and were cohesive throughout.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question in one of our regular "WTF is Sony doing with Dreams" back and forths, someone said something about the single player campaign being 2 hours long...
Please tell me i read wrong, or that person misquoted. To be fair, LBP story modes were never too long, but they had replay value and were cohesive throughout.

It wouldn't surprise me, but at the same time it shouldn't matter much since there's already plenty to play and experience in the beta already.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Iirc, it is known for a long time, that the campaign is very short, around 3 hours. Maybe that changed in the last years.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I dreamt that an Sony exec came up to me with an offer to direct a sequel to Playstation All Stars because, and I quote "since you're the only fan of PSASBR we want you to make the sequel"

At this point someone has to :(

Status
Not open for further replies.