• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
Honesty I think it's Sony outlook on evergreen titles. Socom was before Call of Duty. It's potential was huge and it still is with examples like Rainbow 6. Or the fiasco with Warhawk to Starhawk, sometimes you need to real in studios and let them know what works, find out what fans truly love about something and make it better.

Socom and Ape Escspe are gameplay focused titles, that's why I use them as examples. Gameplay can always be iterated on. If you have a popular character or brand, you need to stick with it. If I had to pick just one head scratcher it's probably Little Big Planet though. You absolutely, ABSOLUTELY continue that franchise with how adored it's brand was.

I love how ambitious Dreams is, but LBP is a more focused platform experience that can surely be improved - "death to floaty jumps".
There just some iP I think Sony has not brought to its full potential.
I feel that in a way focusing on titles that have established brands eventually leads to accomplished, veteran developers abandoning studios because the studio gradually becomes an "x factory". My perspective is that it stifles creativity if you have your parent company dictating the ip's that you must continue to make rather than that decision being something that the development team determines for itself. I like Sony's outlook on Evergreen titles, and I'm glad that they grant their studios the freedom to explore ideas at their choosing and abandon successful, tentpole ip's. I'll take that over Nintendo or Microsoft's approach any day. If ND were forced to only make Uncharted games, we likely wouldn't have seen TLoU for example. Some series need to be retired for a time, and when sensible, should be reintroduced to a new audience but with callbacks to entice nostalgic older players.​

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that in a way focusing on titles that have established brands eventually leads to accomplished, veteran developers abandoning studios because the studio gradually becomes an "x factory". My perspective is that it stifles creativity if you have your parent company dictating the ip's that you must continue to make rather than that decision being something that the development team determines for itself. I like Sony's outlook on Evergreen titles, and I'm glad that they grant their studios the freedom to explore ideas at their choosing and abandon successful, tentpole ip's. I'll take that over Nintendo or Microsoft's approach any day. If ND were forced to only make Uncharted games, we likely wouldn't have seen TLoU for example. Some series need to be retired for a time, and when sensible, should be reintroduced to a new audience but with callbacks to entice nostalgic older players.​

I agree on the creativity thing but I don't get the Nintendo and Microsoft call out cuz it's not like they don't have new ip either

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why the facts that it was a Thursday makes more sense that the facts it was the 31st, last day of the month before the reveal, and actually February 1st, 1st day of the month, for half of the planet at the hour it was made?

Can you explain please?

Because the announcement would need to be done on a weekday in Japan as well. 6pm ET on a Thursday = 8am on a Friday in Japan.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

But that's what Nintendo does. They hardly milk anything. You get one Mario Kart a generation, one Smash Brothers, one Pokemon, etc...These Devs want to make these titles because they get to do new designs all the time. It isn't a Bungie Halo situation here. Lol...it's not like there's 20 Zelda iterations and each one is very different. BotW is the first time they're doing a direct sequel in quite some time.

Sony's current WWS mantra where devs come first is admirable and respectable, and I'm not advocating changing that culture. there's simply some IP that should be revisited IMO, LBP standing front and center. They could use more evergreen titles, especially as software becomes more important as platforms blend to being agnostic.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
But that's what Nintendo does. They hardly milk anything. You get one Mario Kart a generation, one Smash Brothers, one Pokemon, etc...These Devs want to make these titles because they get to do new designs all the time. It isn't a Bungie Halo situation here. Lol...it's not like there's 20 Zelda iterations and each one is very different. BotW is the first time they're doing a direct sequel in quite some time.

Sony's current WWS mantra where devs come first is admirable and respectable, and I'm not advocating changing that culture. there's simply some IP that should be revisited IMO, LBP standing front and center. They could use more evergreen titles, especially as software becomes more important as platforms blend to being agnostic.
Though I agree with your point, let's not forget that LBP 3 released this generation. So the series already had a similar treatment to those franchises bolded in your message. There are many others, however, that could take that evergreen approach, starting with Sly Cooper or Jak.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I'm having a hard time understanding the need for a new LBP when Dreams exists. I don't think it brings much to the table anymore.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Sony: "Here it is. The best line up for a final year on a console ever, for the PS4. Enjoy"
Resetera: "Sony is over. They are arrogant, don't care about gamers, why are they quiet? Where's the PS5? what are they doing? nooo"

And it gets even better as this is only until May + it's missing Spring games like Granblue Versus, Sakura Wars, etc. Full year line-up is insanity.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
If the FFVII demo is releasing, tomorrow is the optimal time to announce it and release it same-day because it's the anniversary of FFVII. They're not going to announce it a day prior. It's going to be announced alongside the anniversary.

Unless, it's planned for a future SoP in February, in which case, we'll find out based on what happens tomorrow.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I can totally see a State of Play to introduce it and then, maybe, a live event to further talk about things (whether before or after E3, don't know).
If the FFVII demo is releasing, tomorrow is the optimal time to announce it and release it same-day because it's the anniversary of FFVII. They're not going to announce it a day prior. It's going to be announced alongside the anniversary.

Unless, it's planned for a future SoP, in which case, we'll find out based on what happens tomorrow.
Yeah, a shadow drop would work best for an anniversary kind of thing.

Although I really don't see it happening (we should know not long from now, considering Japan's time). There's also a Taiwan event featuring a demo in a few weeks or so, which is kinda weird (although I guess not everybody has a PS4 at home, so having demo stations there might make some sense).

Oct 25, 2017
A verified developer who works with VR seems to be optimistic about PSVR2.

If it comes at a competitive price for me it will be the perfect all-in-one.

I hope Sony tells some bits about PSVR2 plans this year even though they probably won't release it yet. They revealed Project Morpheus form factor and specs at GDC 2015, so maybe there's hope?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

I hope Sony tells some bits about PSVR2 plans this year even though they probably won't release it yet. They revealed Project Morpheus form factor and specs at GDC 2015, so maybe there's hope?

Also...
Before I leave, if I remember correctly, tomorrow there is a private event in the Sony Hall. It is public information. Maybe they announce home Remedies against anxiety.

And Sam Lake is in NY xD

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Though I agree with your point, let's not forget that LBP 3 released this generation. So the series already had a similar treatment to those franchises bolded in your message. There are many others, however, that could take that evergreen approach, starting with Sly Cooper or Jak.
Touché....LBP just stands out to me, but you're 100% right. Sony has a lot of IP under the umbrella to try for evergreen titles. And to be fair they do have some. MLB and Gran Turismo are exactly that.

Chopin the Third the platforming genre just doesn't have a lot of entries IMO. And unlike Dreams, LBP focused primarily on platforming and Sackboy himself is a good brand. Basically LBP4 could be Sony's Mario Maker with levels themed after other WWS games and precise jumping. You can technically do this in Dreams but I doesn't seem to be the focus of level creation so far and again, no Sackboy! Lol..

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
I agree on the creativity thing but I don't get the Nintendo and Microsoft call out cuz it's not like they don't have new ip either
While it's true that MS and Nintendo introduce new ip's, and that they are increasingly becoming more prevalent, I believe that they tend to rely on their legacy brands more so than Sony does. Personally, Sony more so resembles a third party publisher with their ability to decouple themselves from a particular franchise they own and attempt to establish a new one. That's not to say that MS or Nintendo don't do that, but that Sony has a greater tendency to see it through.​

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For hours I believed that a new bird had nested in my street... but it was just a sound coming from the Ghost of Tsushima dashboard theme. 🤭

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Just read that PSVR2 comment and got some goosebumps ;)

Not really surprised that PSVR2 will blow some minds, considering how Sony delivered with the first one and what they said about the future of VR was spot on imo.

I'm really really hoping for some PSVR2 tidbits too, but not counting on it.

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020

I guess I have a different perspective. I think the usage of certain franchises like Zelda, Mario, etc. is tiresome because they've been present every generation but I understand that these characters are synonymous with Nintendo so they can't outright abandon them. They're constants, and I suppose that's something that I take issue with. Do Nintendo developers possess the agency and authority to completely abandon those characters, and create new characters and franchises like Splatoon when they so choose? I think both Sony and Nintendo could learn from Disney in the sense that Sony needs a central figure that people the world over will recognize and associate with their brand, and Nintendo needs to continue incorporating new franchises into their catalog, and rely less on specific legacy properties to carry their brand.​

I agree with you that the creative freedom that Sony grants to its developers is great but simultaneously grants them the freedom to abandon properties that haven't reached their full potential. Still, I'm not so sure a LBP on PS4 would be successful. Apologies for going off-topic.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
@Chopin the Third the platforming genre just doesn't have a lot of entries IMO. And unlike Dreams, LBP focused primarily on platforming and Sackboy himself is a good brand. Basically LBP4 could be Sony's Mario Maker with levels themed after other WWS games and precise jumping. You can technically do this in Dreams but I doesn't seem to be the focus of level creation so far and again, no Sackboy! Lol..
If there were ever to be another LBP, it makes the most sense to just make it in Dreams. Best of both worlds. As I said before, I think all future Mm titles will be made in BubbleBath with custom interfaces and aesthetics that make it look different from Dreams proper.
For hours I believed that a new bird had nested in my street... but it was just a sound coming from the Ghost of Tsushima dashboard theme. 🤭
Lmao. The year end city theme Sony put out a long time ago used to sometimes make me think there was Police nearby.

Oct 25, 2017
Just read that PSVR2 comment and got some goosebumps ;)

Not really surprised that PSVR2 will blow some minds, considering how Sony delivered with the first one and what they said about the future of VR was spot on imo.

I'm really really hoping for some PSVR2 tidbits too, but not counting on it.
Yeah they had a nice balanced system with a first try. Sure, tracking could've been better but apart from that it's such a great and comfortable headset for what it cost. Would love to see that the interactions we have seen in Boneworks VR comes a standard fare in PSVR2 games. When we have full AAA games with that kind of interaction and physics, it's gonna blow some minds for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.