• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is going the rpg route now though, which is a smart move. They have playground making an RPG, bought obsidian and inxile. The dudebro shooter MS times are gone I think.

Don't be surprised if MS do offer the money in future, it would make sense especially if they get cod world league on Mixer.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Could be plenty of things, but my guess would be checking memory leaks and some bugs only appearing after a set amount of time or similar.

I was thinking that sort of testing was (semi) automated and/or done during QA. The CTO going hands on and back to basics threw me!

What if he's testing how quickly Spider-Man should be able to web-swing? Like he's recording some numbers on how long it takes to get from point A to B? Maybe he's testing load times? Idk

Like Naga says above it could be plenty of things.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
True, the Dutch efficiency is stronk with GG. They've given us 2 games this gen in roughly 4 years (through 1 and a half-ish teams) which not all first parties can claim.
5 years is probably a little too long for Horizon 2 but like you mention, next gen games could just demand more effort overall, extending dev time.
On top of that, they had each of probably 2/5 best technical teams on the planet release a game with the engine. So it should be highly optimized by now compared to say when they first worked on Horizon

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course. Just saying I think microsoft is not really associated with shooters per se anymore. At least I don't think it's their strategy going forward.

Might not be their strategy for the gaming division but mixer etc might want it for the exposure which is what I could see happening in the future.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This back button feels really good! It's where my hands naturally rest anyway...just gained two additional inputs with what feels like "for free".

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question about Nier Automata and I put this in the OT but I'm not sure how much notice it will get there so I will ask here as well. Would appreciate any advice for getting started anyone can give!

So I've just started playing this, only about 40 something minutes in, but does the game not auto-save at all? I died to the first proper boss with the two saw-arms, and I was put all the way back to the beginning. I think I may have seen a warning about saves but I can't say I really took note of it. And I don't know if it really didn't save or is this some Yoko Taro subversive trolling thing?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question about Nier Automata and I put this in the OT but I'm not sure how much notice it will get there so I will ask here as well. Would appreciate any advice for getting started anyone can give!

So I've just started playing this, only about 40 something minutes in, but does the game not auto-save at all? I died to the first proper boss with the two saw-arms, and I was put all the way back to the beginning. I think I may have seen a warning about saves but I can't say I really took note of it. And I don't know if it really didn't save or is this some Yoko Taro subversive trolling thing?

As far as I remember it only has manual saves. It does have checkpoints as well, but if you turn our PS4 off you'll revert back to whatever your last manual save was rather than that checkpoint.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If I remember correctly you have designated save booths throughout the world.

Oct 25, 2017
You can only save manually at save points in Nier Automata. You won't encounter any until after the prologue mission, so I'm afraid you'll need to beat it in one. It's what killed me playing on the higher difficulty for me.

Oct 27, 2017
You can only save manually at save points in Nier Automata. You won't encounter any until after the prologue mission, so I'm afraid you'll need to beat it in one. It's what killed me playing on the higher difficulty for me.

Thanks. That's a bit of a ballache but I'll give it another try later. Feels a bit weird needing to go back to manual saves for what feels the first time in about 15 years!

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Nier Automata was strictly linear. Didn't enjoy the open world game design at all which is why I never finished it. But I do feel I should give the game another chance since I hear a lot of people saying it has a great payoff. Maybe some day.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
On the loyalty discussion, i'm honestly not shocked about PS fans perhaps being on top. I'm studying for a Computer Engineering degree in México, so the vast majority of my peers are into gaming. Almost all of the "ride or die" people that I know are PS or PC only folk.

Funny enough, the main reason that I hear for having a soft spot for PS is the high turn-over rates for IPs. There is just something special about having different waves and eras of PS IPs for different times during our lives.

Oct 26, 2018
On the loyalty discussion, i'm honestly not shocked about PS fans perhaps being on top. I'm studying for a Computer Engineering degree in México, so the vast majority of my peers are into gaming. Almost all of the "ride or die" people that I know are PS or PC only folk.

Funny enough, the main reason that I hear for having a soft spot for PS is the high turn-over rates for IPs. There is just something special about having different waves and eras of PS IPs for different times during our lives.
Really, I'm mexico?? Thought thst was a huge XBox market because of gears

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I was thinking that sort of testing was (semi) automated and/or done during QA. The CTO going hands on and back to basics threw me!

Like Naga says above it could be plenty of things.
It's usually automated/QA yeah, but you have to go into more old school methods when automation isn't working anymore for some weird bugs.
I agree that someone from QA should do that for him though, even if he's just trying a fix. That's their job for stuff that is hard to test.

edit:
ok people need to stop asking every industry person about what they're doing, this is ridiculous

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019

It really does help create distinct eras and an air of unpredictability.

PS1: Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, FFVII, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal etc.
PS2: Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Sly Cooper, Okami, God of War, SOCOM, Killzone, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.
PS3: Uncharted, Resistance, inFamous, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, etc.
PS4: Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot, Horizon, etc.

I love Sony's commitment to presenting new IP as their tentpole franchises. Nintendo and Microsoft dabble with new stuff, but their biggest games are extremely predictable. Sony has some predictable sequels too of course, but I think they're the best at busting out completely unexpected IP from their heavy hitter devs.

Can't wait to see what new IPs we get treated with on PS5! It's going to be so hype when we see Naughty Dog's first new IP since the PS3 era, or SSM's first new IP since the PS2 era.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame (Well, not really) that ND didn't make any new IP for the PS4 gen but you could technically count LOU as it came at the tail end of the PS3.

It would be great to see them work on a completely new setting and gameplay rather than something familiar, but of course it'll be years before it bears fruit.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It really does help create distinct eras and an air of unpredictability.

PS1: Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, FFVII, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal etc.
PS2: Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Sly Cooper, Okami, God of War, SOCOM, Killzone, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.
PS3: Uncharted, Resistance, inFamous, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, etc.
PS4: Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot, Horizon, etc.

I love Sony's commitment to presenting new IP as their tentpole franchises. Nintendo and Microsoft dabble with new stuff, but their biggest games are extremely predictable. Sony has some predictable sequels too of course, but I think they're the best at busting out completely unexpected IP from their heavy hitter devs.

Can't wait to see what new IPs we get treated with on PS5! It's going to be so hype when we see Naughty Dog's first new IP since the PS3 era, or SSM's first new IP since the PS2 era.
Completely agree!! But it's almost a disservice to lump Nintendo and Microsoft together with IP quality. Nintendo may use tried and true IP, and I'm the first one to say F Mario games always getting 9.9's on meta they are just fun games and have no story, ok visuals, and just no point to them but gameplay challenges when I think games can be way more than that. How about put some comedy in the next Mario Nintendo sheesh? I just feel stupid chasing all these pretty glowing stars now come on! Cater to adults a little more.

but I digress, aside from my pet peeve with Mario, they absolutely reinvent the franchises. The made a GOTG with Ocarina of Time and again with BOTW. They created new IP like Splatoon. And they make gameplay so unique that nothing in the entire industry plays like Smash Brothers. Halo peaked after a few iterations, it does not consistently reinvent the wheel of FPS, or anything like that. Nintnedo May use the same IP, but it's often in name only. The games are many times completely new and fresh.

I will always say Sony can refresh a bit more of their old IP. They have a good balance, but some stuff is begging to keep going because the gameplay has solid foundations.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will today is going to be the day?
FinishedSlimyIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Nier Automata was strictly linear. Didn't enjoy the open world game design at all which is why I never finished it. But I do feel I should give the game another chance since I hear a lot of people saying it has a great payoff. Maybe some day.
Yeah same here, the open world was doing nothing for me when I played it. I eventually dropped it and I don't know if I'll eventually come back to it.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've reached the third camp in Days Gone now and I'm really enjoying how they present the narrative in this game.Every mission and action feels like it progresses the story and I love how all the various plots weave together.....it doesn't feel like so many checklist open worlds.

It's one of my favorite games of last year. People like always were quick to jump on the hate bandwagon when the mediocre reviews started coming out. Game genuinely keeps getting better and better the more you play.

For a first attempt at an AAA game from Bend it was a huge accomplishment.

Oct 24, 2019
Completely agree!! But it's almost a disservice to lump Nintendo and Microsoft together with IP quality. Nintendo may use tried and true IP, and I'm the first one to say F Mario games always getting 9.9's on meta they are just fun games and have no story, ok visuals, and just no point to them but gameplay challenges when I think games can be way more than that. How about put some comedy in the next Mario Nintendo sheesh? I just feel stupid chasing all these pretty glowing stars now come on! Cater to adults a little more.

but I digress, aside from my pet peeve with Mario, they absolutely reinvent the franchises. The made a GOTG with Ocarina of Time and again with BOTW. They created new IP like Splatoon. And they make gameplay so unique that nothing in the entire industry plays like Smash Brothers. Halo peaked after a few iterations, it does not consistently reinvent the wheel of FPS, or anything like that. Nintnedo May use the same IP, but it's often in name only. The games are many times completely new and fresh.

I will always say Sony can refresh a bit more of their old IP. They have a good balance, but some stuff is begging to keep going because the gameplay has solid foundations.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Nintendo are the kings of reinvention and evergreen franchises. I would love Sony to find a middle ground between their massive push for new IP and keeping old IP alive.

Ideally they'll either let less experienced /new studios work on entries in the old franchises that have already been broken in & established by their big dogs, or as they expand all their main studios they'll have the B team work on older franchises while the A team paves the way with new IP.

And Microsoft... well, they're the kings of Gears and Halo, I'll give them that haha

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So,I just read in the other place,one of the "insiders" :
GPU: PS5>SeX ~10%
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
CPU: Sex>PS5 ~ 6%
Memory: PS5>Sex for the size and bandwidth
SSD: PS5>Sex ~ Over twice as fast (this is the biggest and most noticable difference)
Fan noise (Dev-Kit): Sex>PS5 (not as egregious 1x vs. Pro).

BTW it's up to you believe me or not, but things gonna be clear very soon and you will find out who knows and who knows shit.

Bonus?
Remedy and Housemarque have been in Sony's WWS family for a while now!

Techland belongs to MS now!

the other "inside" replayed with:
The reason Techland delayed Dying Light 2 is because it ran so poorly on the base Xbox One but yeah Techland is Microsoft now. Remedy and Housemargue are in the final stages of being required by Sony, it's not a done deal just yet.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
SSD: PS5>Sex ~ Over twice as fast (this is the biggest and most noticable difference)

BTW it's up to you believe me or not, but things gonna be clear very soon and you will find out who knows and who knows shit.

Bonus?

The reason Techland delayed Dying Light 2 is because it ran so poorly on the base Xbox One but yeah Techland is Microsoft now. Remedy and Housemargue are in the final stages of being required by Sony, it's not a done deal just yet.

Don't listen to his lies...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019

Bonus?

Techland going to MS makes sense I guess as I'm pretty sure Spencer spent alot of time over in Poland recently. Remedy would be a great get for Sony, as well as Housemarque. Will be interesting to see what they can come up with for their AAA game..

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019

Bonus?

This is already false. Since remedy is a public company if they got bought everyone would know by now.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
So, are we going to see a new tech demo? If yes, whom will show their engine? I think we can outrule Quantic Dream as they did back in 2013. Decimal Engine would be my guess

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bonus?

Not again....... ffs.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Bonus?

Too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.