• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Holy shitballs! I don't wanna hype this rumor up too much, but Benji's doing his livestream and I asked him if he had any thoughts on potential Sony acquisitions, mentioning that we've heard everything from Bluepoint and Remedy all the way up to Zenimax.

His response is at 33:40 in this video:

Now to be clear, he seemed very hesitant to commit to a solid answer so by no means am I going to put words into his mouth. Still, what do you all think of his response?

Here's a transcript I quickly made of what he said:

"What do I say here? ... What do I say? Gotta be careful what I say here. Here's what I'll say, maybe the Zenimax rumor sounds crazy, maybe it is crazy. I can tell you I've heard, I'll give zero/no more info on this, but that Zenimax has looked before for Bethesda and such to be acquired. Not gonna say anything else."
*zipped up his lips*

And if you're still out there reading these threads Benji, we love you and miss you! :)

Even his "stats" are nice and informative, but I cannot remember that this guy ever teased something and got it right. I dont think he has any knowledge.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, not a single rumor, leak or hint happened before the Insomniac acquisition, it's fair to say insiders don't know what's going on with Sony's acquisition plans.

GoldenDuck

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 8, 2020
Horizon was a beautiful game and still is.

Personally, I would want to see more UK studios from Sony. The talent pool is good here, a new studio in Cambridge or London is a must IMO.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

I'd be down for this. It always felt like they gimped the first game because of the PS4's incredibly bad CPU. It was (and it absolutely still is) a beautiful game, but I specifically remember them talking about the weapons bending metal etc, having the physics be a way bigger part of the gameplay than they ended up being.

I remember seeing either a tech demo, or a picture of one, about the physics. Can anyone lend a hand and help me find it?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, any big acquisition would make more sense if they're embracing (hypothesis) a multiplatform approach for the future. A few months ago I would have thought these moves unthinkable, but right now and until their strategy is clear, everything seems possible. It's just a matter of how much PlayStation desires to go that way, or rather, if other buyers in the market aren't willing to go as far.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The industry already going to change by a huge amount in the next 10 years that i don't think a big pub getting buy is a huge effect .

You think that they'd be the only one? It's going to be a domino effect if one of them is bought. There's no upside to these big multiplatform companies suddenly being housed under platform manufacturers. Does anyone really want a future where you can only play Capcom games if you're using whatever platform Facebook is pushing? Or Square if you're using Stadia?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I can see Sony wanting to offset some of the hardware losses of going into PC by adquiring some devs and increasing their software output (and therefore the amount of PS5 console exclusives)... But a huge publisher-SIE merger is a tad bit extreme.

The recent amount of PC centric and adquisition murmors going on, at the same time, could mean something... Or it could all be (and likely is) BS. Who the fuck knows

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You think that they'd be the only one? It's going to be a domino effect if one of them is bought. There's no upside to these big multiplatform companies suddenly being housed under platform manufacturers. Does anyone really want a future where you can only play Capcom games if you're using whatever platform Facebook is pushing? Or Square if you're using Stadia?

I don't want it but truth is i see the market heading that way .

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Yes.
8DJYo.jpg

OJZNK.jpg

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
So how does it end up on Xbox? Lol so now the exclusives are not only pc but Xbox too, at this rate by the end of the week all Sony games are also on mobile and stadia.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think MS would fight tooth and nail for Zeni/Bethesda, they always had a good relationship since OG Xbox. I would actually believe the rumor if it was MS, I don't think Sony is crazy enough to go through with it...yet. But given the whole PC conundrum it does seem like a good 4D chess move (which is clearly what they are playing given all these news).

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really believe that Sony aquired Bethesda? C'mon, guys. That would be biggest megaton in decades, like... The biggest aquisition I can think of in the game's indutry. Also Bethesda is huge with tons of IPs, this doesn't make sense.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If what Zenimax is looking to do is sell studios, that is a LOT more reasonable when it comes to Sony. Arkane ending up a Sony dev makes a ton more sence than Id or Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.