• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't it rumored that Guerilla was working on a second title, not a new ip necessarily? Could be a new attempt at Killzone, especially with a MP-only entry.

Do you really think Sony would let Cory develop a new ip before releasing GoW 2? After that i believe that Cory will get his new ip.

I'm sure Naughty Dogs new ip will be their next game. After that we'll see TLoU2 at the end of this new gen.

Japan Studio will deliver more i'm sure. Looking forward to it.

We don't really know anything about the second games from Guerrilla at first we could think it would be MP-only but now they have two Narrative Directors and Simon Larouche was posting on his twitter a job offer for a Senior Quest Designer so if it's for his game it will be weird to be for a MP-only game.

Personnally i hope it's a new ip for a fresh start, maybe a reboot for Killzone could be interesting but i don't want something like Socom because we already have to much games like that with Rainbow Six, Cod or Battlefield.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
First party portfolio isn't limited to just internal studios.

Realistically speaking - if Sony is looking at their portfolio rigorously, they will be aware that with a bulk of their internal teams working on established IPs, their externally funded projects will need to step up the plate in new IPs.

If Housemarque/Arrowhead are indeed working on SIE games, i don't expect them to be based off existing properties.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sony hasn't announced a new AAA tentpole from an internal studio since Ghost of Tsushima in late 2017. We're talking over 2 years at this point. Regardless of when their games are scheduled for release on PS5, I expect the period between February and June 2020 to contain the biggest slate of game announcements ever from Playstation. I'd be disappointed with anything less.

I fully concur with you there. It's pretty insane how low-key Sony has been since, what, E3 2018? I really hope that's chiefly because they're waiting for the reveal of the PS5 to unveil a bunch of new projects that they've kept tight-lipped on for so long and not because of any kind of fuckery that's been going down internally.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
First party portfolio isn't limited to just internal studios.

Realistically speaking - if Sony is looking at their portfolio rigorously, they will be aware that with a bulk of their internal teams working on established IPs, their externally funded projects will need to step up the plate in new IPs.

If Housemarque/Arrowhead are indeed working on SIE games, i don't expect them to be based off existing properties.

yeah, Im curious to see what external studios they'll collaborate next-gen. The pool of usual partners seems smaller now, so it opens up the possibilities for brand new collabs

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We don't really know anything about the second games from Guerrilla at first we could think it would be MP-only but now they have two Narrative Directors and Simon Larouche was posting on his twitter a job offer for a Senior Quest Designer so if it's for his game it will be weird to be for a MP-only game.

Personnally i hope it's a new ip for a fresh start, maybe a reboot for Killzone could be interesting but i don't want something like Socom because we already have to much games like that with Rainbow Six, Cod or Battlefield.

SOCOM had nothing to spare with R6, COD or BF

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
God of War has a fun gameplay and better pacing.

TLOU gameplay is really meh compared to the rest (graphics, storytelling, characters etc..)

Can't change my mind.

God of War's pacing was even worse lmao that whole mountain section almost bored me to tears.

And I don't like this circlejerk about how supposedly bad TLOU gameplay is - it wouldn't have had such an enjoyable multiplayer if the gameplay was bad.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As well as the odd new IP, I'm also hoping breath some new life into one of their dead IPs.

I'm thinking something like a brand new Coolborders, G-Police or Colony Wars I don't think any of those have had a game released since the PS1 days, so they'd seem like a brand new IP anyway.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
SOCOM Battle Royale
200 players

GOTY

giphy.gif

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
There will new IPs, always are, but the PS5 probably is going to be sequel heavy in its first couple years. Unless someone like Studio Japan or a third party partner turns out to be working on a huge new IP, I think it'll be a while before we see a new IP as a major tentpole release.

(Naughty Dog's next major project is probably going to be a new IP)

Housemarque is working on a AAA game and if that's again a PS exclusive, PS5 has a promising new IP which will probably come while the launch year or even at console launch.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Housemarque is working on a AAA game and if that's again a PS exclusive, PS5 has a promising new IP which will probably come while the launch year or even at console launch.
Honestly I don't think Housemarque's game will be out until like... 2022. It's their first AAA project, they still aren't very big and they're also working on Stormdivers (though that is a smaller project).

That said, yes, they're a good candidate for an exciting new IP!

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Ignoring that bait...

We just had a new IP in Godfall announced. Regardless how I feel about it, it is a new IP related to a multiplayer ongoing game.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM Battle Royale
200 players

GOTY
I hope if they do release a next gen Socom, it will hopefully have suite of multiplayer modes and not just Battle Royale. The popularity and longevity of that genre seems to have evaporated, so I would hope that an enormous free-for-all wouldn't be the focus. Socom with drivable vehicles, great gunplay, destructible environments, kinetic moment-to moment gameplay, and smooth traversal would definitely reinvigorate the franchise.​
Honestly it is the series, along with Warhawk, that should be free-to-play at launch. They would certainly help with the wait for the AAA blockbusters many of us are looking forward to.​

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's from a VR game. Can't think of the name of it though.
He also appears in a few PSP games and a Vita game although in a more pixelated form. The first two games had the main title "What did I do to deserve this my lord?" and the three latest "No Heroes Allowed", which at this point seemingly is the franchise name. All games are developed by Acquire, a company owned by GungHo, so probably not up for acquisition before anyone starts. The franchise is owned by Sony though.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
49205514231_3bbf918f7c_k.jpg

Who is the mage in middle of Japan Studio Holidays card?

That may well be the first time Sony has acknowledged Kutaro in well over four years. Puppeteer Remastered incoming?

Awesome image by the way. Really hammers home how Japan Studio have created some wonderful (and woefully underappreciated) mascots over the years. Trico x Kat x Toro x Captain Astro x Kutaro <3

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
That may well be the first time Sony has acknowledged Kutaro in well over four years. Puppeteer Remastered incoming?

Awesome image by the way. Really hammers home how Japan Studio have created some wonderful (and woefully underappreciated) mascots over the years. Trico x Kat x Toro x Captain Astro x Kutaro <3

I've never played their old games (PS/PS2/PS3 era), but AstroBot was the most wonderful VR experience i have ever witnessed. That game is e real mood stimulator :D

May be Puppeteer will come back for PSVR. It is a perfect fit.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
A
Im very curious about what first-party games will be there day-one too, but Im not anticipating anything huge really. Just looking back at their home console launches, the first-party games released alongside the consoles hardly matter in the long run. Just look at the games available with the PS4 for example, only one that would probably make a top 20 best SIE games of the gen is Resogun, the game with the least exposure and scope in that launch too

But differently from the PS4, we should be getting big games way sooner this time, which is very exciting.
Agreed but there's some games that really benefit from the launch exposure. Platformer, Dreams, and Gran Turismo are all good launch titles Sony should aim for.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Yeah, but I would love to see the whole Japan Studio working on one single big game. They haven't done this since when, PS2/3?

If Japan Studio is working on a AAA game, i think it will be something similar to Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. After all, Shimokawa (director of Soul Sacrifice) is creative director in Japan Studio. Some kind of AAA Action RPG with soulslike mechanics and monster hunting is a good fit for them.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SOCOM Battle Royale
200 players

GOTY
There was a point when I was on board with a SOCOM revival through BR. However, I think that time has passed.

However, an actual sequel to SOCOM 1 and 2 that uses those games as an actual foundation? I still believe there is potential there. Small scale, CQC focus. The community already doesn't mind skins, emotes, etc because we had them in 2003. It would be a solid first year title for a new console.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Watching that first vid on the page, I'm convinced that Kojima Productions won't get that level of marketing if it's not working with/for Sony. For a variety of reasons, this one included, it was the right association. Let's see what the future brings on that relationship.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Left Behind again. I remember Neil and Bruce said that because it was DLC that they were able to experiment more with the gameplay as well as the pacing. I kinda hope that Part II follows in its footsteps. Those bits of downtime where you're able to do different things in the mall with Riley were great. There wasn't really anything like that in the main game. And it sounds like it'd fit in PII based on how intense people said that the fight in Seattle was.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Child Aloy is still one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a video game this gen. There was something seriously amiss with her model that I just couldn't pinpoint. Hopefully the kids will be better looking in Horizon 2.

Edit - Oh dear, that last sentence doesn't look good in context, let alone out of context.
She has a massive head.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Child Aloy is still one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a video game this gen. There was something seriously amiss with her model that I just couldn't pinpoint. Hopefully the kids will be better looking in Horizon 2.

Edit - Oh dear, that last sentence doesn't look good in context, let alone out of context.

Lol I agree, I think the hair plays a great part in making her look kinda alien. The hairdo is also weird like she just came out of a hairdresser salon.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a Jak & Daxter game on PS5 that's more like the first game set in a huge open world with snowy all the way to volcanic environments.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Child Aloy's head is basically the same size as Adult Aloy which combined with the hair makes her look pretty ridiculous. If Guerilla learned anything working with KJP, hopefully it's a better way of rendering faces.

A big difference there is that for the most part Guerrilla isn't doing straight scans of actors faces. Like Aloy's face is based on a Dutch actress named Hannah Hoekstra, but if you look at them side-by-side you can see that Guerrilla made some tweaks for Aloy's model. Naughty Dog has done some facial scanning (for characters like Dina and Jesse) for PII as well, but they've also changed parts of their appearance so it's not a 1:1 copy of the person they're based off of.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Child Aloy's head is basically the same size as Adult Aloy which combined with the hair makes her look pretty ridiculous. If Guerilla learned anything working with KJP, hopefully it's a better way of rendering faces.

That's pretty funny because the only kid character in DS didn't look that great either.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Is Kingdom Hearts 3 any good? It's currently on the January sale. Already bought Ni No Kuni 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.