• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Business Strategy & Operations Senior Project Manager, Visual Arts Malaysia
at Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation

Sony PlayStation will be opening our first ever Southeast Asian video game studio in Malaysia in 2020 where we will provide art and animation to develop global game titles for our current and next gen consoles. We are looking for a dynamic, motivated and focused Senior Project Manager who will lead all operations and executive planning, reporting to the Senior Director of PlayStation's Visual Arts Group.

Oct 25, 2017
Something is clearly cooking with PlayStation Now. The price drop, the addition of "premium" games, etc.

I HIGHLY doubt Sony will go the Xbox route and release all their games on it day one but they're clearly thinking about the service and how to use it going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot about it in 2020. A scenario where all first party games arrive on it something like 1-2 years after release feels super plausible to me.

I feel like the temporariness of their big games on PSNow for the moment is them trying to stretch out the time a little until the next-gen launches, while still trying to wring some marketing benefit from their cache. I agree that they probably aren't going to do day-1 big game any time soon, so I can see them adding their PS4 library as permanent additions to fill in the first year or two of the PS5, or however long it takes, until they reach the point that they are prepared to put PS5 titles on the service.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
They way Sony is structured is so confusing to me. Cause reading the FGO thread, I was like why doesn't Sony make more Fate games. Then I realized that's Sony Music or some weirdness and not SIE.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They way Sony is structured is so confusing to me. Cause reading the FGO thread, I was like why doesn't Sony make more Fate games. Then I realized that's Sony Music or some weirdness and not SIE.
Yeah, you'd think that all of Sony's gaming related stuff would be part of SIE, but for some reason it isn't. Sony Pictures also had a development team once (Loot Entertainment) but they're independent now.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's weird how no one thought of giving us a proper big budget game with how popular the franchise is, maybe they'll see something after Granblue.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how no one thought of giving us a proper big budget game with how popular the franchise is, maybe they'll see something after Granblue.

I hope so. Maybe they could port the arcade version.
Yeah, you'd think that all of Sony's gaming related stuff would be part of SIE, but for some reason it isn't. Sony Pictures also had a development team once (Loot Entertainment) but they're independent now.

It's baffling that they don't leverage stuff like that.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That's because Sony Music Entertainment Japan is a bit independent from SME (because SME Japan is powerful in Japan) and they are doing their own stuff like investing in FGO, but their results are still related to Sony Music as a whole

It is weird but given the results of that management, it seems to be doing great for them

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I like it more than games like LoD and Folklore
giphy.gif
Well Folklore is garbage so I'm not mad.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It is going to be a new Ape Escape and you will love it

Just give us both. You greenlight Astro Bot 2 to appease the VR crowd, and you greenlight Ape Escape to appease the peasants who want their platforming kicks but don't want to shell out extra for a peripheral, and you give them the necessary marketing and show them at E3 instead of pretending they don't exist until they come out to rave reviews.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I have been thinking that PlayStation's success this generation was partly because of the hype generated by major dream-like announcements. Bloodborne (a partnership with From Software) created a huge amount of excitement. The revival of The Last Guardian and a partnership with Square Enix to bring Final Fantasy 7 Remake to PS4 exclusively made E3 2015 a show of dreams (also Shenmue 3). E3 2016 was victorious for Sony because of the reboot of God of War, this announcement may be the most impactful this gen (has the most amount of views on PlayStation channel). So what about PS5? Which revivals of legendary franchises could impact the gaming world like Final Fantasy 7 Remake did? Or which rebooted exclusive from Sony's lineup would make a hype tsunami next-gen?

I personally think that some buzz could create the legacy of Konami's IPs. Either licencing or acquiring Metal Gear Solid IP and Silent Hill IP would make a lot of excitement for gamers. Potential projects could be remakes of first MGS and 1-2 Silent Hill + new installment with Kojima for example. As for exclusive reboot there is no IP bigger right now than Uncharted to go with a new direction and create a ton of hype. As for dream partnerships From would be the right choice with Bloodborne 2. And for legendary revivals why not give money to Remedy and make Alan Wake 2 exclusive for PS5? Also teaming up with Team Ninja and releasing Ninja Gaiden 4 as a revival of the franchise (since it skipped this generation) could be a potential hit. What do you think?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
That thread about Sony games being too safe shouldn't have got locked, it's right.

Being safe doesn't equal being bad or boring (which is maybe where that OP went wrong).

Get the fook outta here with this brah...This is not any Sony fanboyism. Saying Sony's game all play the same is trolling and insulting to fans of those titles. If he has a hard time writing things out more power to him for admitting it and asking for guidance but don't act like that wasn't a bad take. It was. It's like making a thread about "Nintendo making only kiddy games" or "MS being a dudebro box." If he did nothing wrong his thread wouldn't have been closed.

come on man, call out stuff when it's actually warranted.

Come on are you really gonna deny that people don't get overly defensive about Sony in here?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why is it always Sony that needs to put AAA games that are not safe, when every other publisher out there including Nintendo and MS isn't.
Considering Microsoft just got laughed at for stuff like rares new game and Nobody pays attention to concrete genie and the like. The whole they don't do it is another issue all of em have ppl get their wires crossed on what the problem is
Sonys AAA(this the important part) don't do it

microsoft now have the perception of gamepass hahahaha look at that game they don't really care about it's just for the service

and Nintendo it's "all they do"

3 narratives, 3 things meaning something different to different ppl

don't think either of the 3 are doing it better than the other really

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is tho (for the tentpoles)
Playing it save in the AAA space these days.... yeah, that doesn't exist. And making a robo-dino open world game, a create&share game like Dreams..... well, you know what? Doesn't matter. No reason to start this again. Some people made up their minds and nothing will change it.
Sony has the most diverse game lineup out there. Nobody does more new IPs than them. And they're the only console maker with a VR headset. I hope Sony keeps "playing it save" like they did in the last 10 years. Great times ahead.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wonder how many publishers out there would allow a studio which has no experience with anything but a single FPS franchise for about a decade work on an action RPG in which you play a female redhead hunting robot dinosaurs. I wonder how many publishers would allow a developer to gameplay-reboot a hack and slash game into a cinematic 3rd person action-adventure game. I wonder how many publishers would be willing to build a small new studio for recent graduates.
Especially the first 2 are risky as fuck, if Horizon Zero Dawn and the recent God of War had turned out to be shit not only would have Sony 2 shit games on their hands, but also 2 studios now looked down upon and arguably in trouble, especially Santa Monica as they had already canceled a game earlier.
Saying Sony is playing it safe just because a lot of Sony games are 3rd person action/adventure games with a big focus on narrative is a load of shit.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly something i'd like to see is big WRPG from Sony. That's something that overall has been pretty weak this gen across all publishers after the decline of Mass Effect, no big Elder Scrolls release, only a single Dragon Age game that was cross-gen, etc. I need more RPG-ass RPGs. I'd love to see what a Naughty Dog RPG looks like since it'd be such a big swerve, or maybe Sucker Punch.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It is tho (for the tentpoles)
Well, I guess Sony must have made SSM or GG make a GaaS type of game, right? Like every major publisher has this type of game these days. Your arguments are a bunch of nonsense which come from your trolling attitude or a mere ignorance. In fact out of all big publishers SIE is the least risk-safe in AAA approach of gaming.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Rotating flagship games like God of War, Horizon and Uncharted in and out of PSNow is an interesting experiment. I wonder if it's meaningfully boosting service numbers.

It is a bit besides the point, though. What am I subscribing for if not for being able to access these games at any time.

Really hoping PS5 makes it make sense lol

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking Sony's output, but that's a far cry from saying they don't take risks, or even more ridiculous, that their games all play the same because they have a third person camera and are cinematic.

'Third person' and 'cinematic' are not genres.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly something i'd like to see is big WRPG from Sony. That's something that overall has been pretty weak this gen across all publishers after the decline of Mass Effect, no big Elder Scrolls release, only a single Dragon Age game that was cross-gen, etc. I need more RPG-ass RPGs. I'd love to see what a Naughty Dog RPG looks like since it'd be such a big swerve, or maybe Sucker Punch.
A JRPG first! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I wonder how many publishers out there would allow a studio which has no experience with anything but a single FPS franchise for about a decade work on an action RPG in which you play a female redhead hunting robot dinosaurs. I wonder how many publishers would allow a developer to gameplay-reboot a hack and slash game into a cinematic 3rd person action-adventure game. I wonder how many publishers would be willing to build a small new studio for recent graduates.
Especially the first 2 are risky as fuck, if Horizon Zero Dawn and the recent God of War had turned out to be shit not only would have Sony 2 shit games on their hands, but also 2 studios now looked down upon and arguably in trouble, especially Santa Monica as they had already canceled a game earlier.
Saying Sony is playing it safe just because a lot of Sony games are 3rd person action/adventure games with a big focus on narrative is a load of shit.

Killzone wasn't going anywhere successful after Shadowfall, it was a no-brainer to shut it down.

Credit to GG for trying something out of their comfort zone, but for Sony 3rd person action adventure with a focus on story was what had been selling for them, so why not give Guerrilla yet another one to make?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Something is clearly cooking with PlayStation Now. The price drop, the addition of "premium" games, etc.

I HIGHLY doubt Sony will go the Xbox route and release all their games on it day one but they're clearly thinking about the service and how to use it going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot about it in 2020. A scenario where all first party games arrive on it something like 1-2 years after release feels super plausible to me.

They could literally only add games when the next entries or the next game from the developer is announced and it would still be better than this stupid "you get a game for 3 months" angle they're using right now.

Why are people subscribing to a service called PS now to not even play PS games!

Y'all gotta stop that shit tackle the conversation

no for real can we get into this what happened

Questions That Need Answers, Jim!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
That thread about Sony games being too safe shouldn't have got locked, it's right.

Being safe doesn't equal being bad or boring (which is maybe where that OP went wrong).

Come on are you really gonna deny that people don't get overly defensive about Sony in here?
It's a Sony WWS thread, sure ppl get overly sensitive about stuff they like. Bad thread is a bad thread. There's plenty of ways to articulate how you want to see more AAA titles from WWS across different genres than "beautiful presentation but boring gameplay". It's kinda insulting like we are just some shallow faux movie lovers for playing and loving these games. I bet most ppl don't even play GOW or Horizon othe hardest difficulties, they are full of challenge and diverse gameplay.

There's a time when defenders should be called out, this ain't one of em. Now having said all that ND need to make that RPG and take over from Mass Effect falling off!

Status
Not open for further replies.