• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This....

doesn't sound so bad

It would be excellent. I'd also love if Guardians of the Galaxy was the biggest inspiration for the new Jak.

Aside from some of the Daxter designs being nightmare fuel, ND's concept art for the cancelled Jak game looked very intriguing.

It looked like some dark steampunk game with Jak lookalike characters slapped onto it. Seriously, it was like they were creating a bizzaro world/ twisted alternate universe for Jak rather than a real successor to the trilogy.

But I get why they failed as 2010 was possibly the worst time to start working on a new Jak as the market was obsessed with gritty, mature action/FPS games. They also clearly wanted to do something a little darker than Uncharted (hence why The Last of Us ended up as their next game) and it was distorting their vision of what a modern Jak game should be.

Naughty Dog, in my opinion, just isn't the right studio for the series anymore since they are passionate about deeper, more impacting experiences.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because this topic is actually discuss Sony first party games and news. Not about how much sense it makes to port them to PC. Maybe you haven't been in here long, but most of us tired of this topic being hijacked with hypothetical discussion of ports. Just because news is slow doesn't mean we want to click on this thread see it basically it shitted up with this everyday. News of a specific port doesn't mean open season to discuss the feasibility of it in general here. There are topics about Sony first party games being ported if you want to debate with people that actually are interested. I'm not trying to backseat mod, but seriously it is beyond getting old to see pages of this back and forth. Like I said before I'm just gonna report it after tomorrow going forward and we can get definitive answer on whether baseless and repetitive speculation of ports has a place here.
I know what this topic concerns, I've been active in all the Sony first party threads. Ironically this concerns first party software...considering that MLB The Show is first party and arriving on PC, that should be enough to warrant discussion of the topic here. It might not be a topic that you care to discuss, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't be comfortable speaking about it. It's really no different than speaking about Remedy potentially becoming a Sony studio based upon tweets of Shu or Kojima visiting Remedy, although there's more evidence to support certain Sony IP's being brought to PC over time. Regardless, I've spoken about the topic because some think that it actively hurts PS business. I don't share that opinion, and think if managed correctly it'd be beneficial to PS, and have stated as such. There's been no port begging from me, but you're welcome to report this and let a mod decide if this is appropriate discussion or not.​

Let me ask you this, say someone requested every first party Nintendo software to be released on PC despite the company simultaneously concerning themselves with the Switch at the same time.

At what point would there be any value for a consumer to even bother with a Switch that said-company wants to sell them on when the alternative would offer vastly superior hardware and OS? How would such a tactic not result in a notable decline in long-term hardware sales? Even portability alone could only get them so far.
Because Sony doesn't have to deliver every exclusive on its platform to the PC. They can dole out whatever they want that ultimately serves their agenda. Hopefully it'll be very old titles that aren't selling anymore on their platform and so to cultivate a new audience, they release the game on PC if they think it's worth the cost of porting. I believe that people who want a PS will buy one regardless of some exclusives arriving years later on PC. For those that have no intention of buying a PS5 regardless, this is a way to get them to engage with the offerings of the platform. I'd assume that Sony makes more money on their software than they do from hardware, and more money from their services than their software. So they're going to introduce older titles to a new audience and hope that they're as receptive to them as PC gamers were to Monster Hunter; World and hopefully that experience will make them a member of their ecosystem.​
I liken this whole situation to OS updates on smartphones. Depending on what line of phones you have, you'll receive updates sooner than other users, and some users won't receive them at all. If you want the full PS experience Day 1, you get the PS5. Otherwise you'll be playing a waiting game to see how long it'll take for the game to arrive to PC, or maybe you won't get the game at all.​

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Its crazy how some people still cant accept that games can have good story AND good gameplay since we got plenty of them.
I find it kinda funny when they 'thanked' Hermen for saving their money because of that.

I'm sure it could/would be much more 'justified' if Hermen instead said that "future PS games would be less single player, more GaaS."

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if Sony did a State of Play with a bunch of games that look like indies and maybe a few that have high-production value. Then at the end, reveal every game was made in Dreams. Some Kojima-level tomfoolery.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I know what this topic concerns, I've been active in all the Sony first party threads. Ironically this concerns first party software...considering that MLB The Show is first party and arriving on PC, that should be enough to warrant discussion of the topic here. It might not be a topic that you care to discuss, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't be comfortable speaking about it. It's really no different than speaking about Remedy potentially becoming a Sony studio based upon tweets of Shu or Kojima visiting Remedy, although there's more evidence to support certain Sony IP's being brought to PC over time. Regardless, I've spoken about the topic because some think that it actively hurts PS business. I don't share that opinion, and think if managed correctly it'd be beneficial to PS, and have stated as such. There's been no port begging from me, but you're welcome to report this and let a mod decide if this is appropriate discussion or not.​

I get what you're saying. I also think if Sony were to start porting their biggest games to PC, it wouldn't hurt their PlayStation business in any noticeable way, assuming the ports came way after the console release. That said, I'm still not convinced we'll see anything other than a select few GaaS/multiplayer games from Sony on other platforms, but I'm also not writing the possibility off entirely. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Kojima, ask Ted Price about how great it is being part of WWS! Join him! :)

I've heard all the reasons why Sony shouldn't acquire KojiPro and I don't care. Lock Kojima down, give him a ludicrous AAA budget to make games and also give him the freedom to make movies under PlayStation Productions. The man will probably still be making games at least another 15-20 years as he seems to love it so much so treat him well and he won't go anywhere.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima, ask Ted Price about how great it is being part of WWS! Join him! :)

I've heard all the reasons why Sony shouldn't acquire KojiPro and I don't care. Lock Kojima down, give him a ludicrous AAA budget to make games and also give him the freedom to make movies under PlayStation Productions. The man will probably still be making games at least another 15-20 years as he seems to love it so much so treat him well and he won't go anywhere.
First SIE needs to acquire Bluepoint Games and Remedy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, which one of y'all wrote this...

xaa18jS.png

Never have I wanted somebody who's so blatantly full of shit not to be so full of shit.

This honestly reads to me as one of the more practical expectations for Japan Studio considering their output this gen.

Doesn't seem at all far fetched and I'm willing buy into the idea that ever since Sony moved Allen Becker as one of the Founders & Head of Santa Monica Studios to run Japan Studio in 2011, It really took him 2 console generations to finally sort everything out and get the creative & production process up to speed with the rest of Sony's Worldwide Studios. At least, I would hope so, heading into PS5 as there's just nothing more I would love to see from Sony than Japan Studio reaching a consistent level of acclaim that Sony's Western studios frequently enjoy & expect. All that's missing here is Tokyo Jungle 2 & a Fumito Udea collaboration that's hopefully in the works at Japan Studio.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
First SIE needs to acquire Bluepoint Games and Remedy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sure, the more the merrier! :)

So let's see, upcoming titles for PlayStation (PS4 or PS5) include Iron Man VR, Predator, TLOU2, FF7, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, MLB20, WiLD, Project Awakening, Bluepoint's next game... I think that covers the larger titles for the next year or so that we know of, right?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
This honestly reads to me as one of the more practical expectations for Japan Studio considering their output this gen.

Doesn't seem at all far fetched and I'm willing buy into the idea that ever since Sony moved Allen Becker as one of the Founders & Head of Santa Monica Studios to run Japan Studio in 2011, It really took him 2 console generations to finally sort everything out and get the creative & production process up to speed with the rest of Sony's Worldwide Studios. At least, I would hope so, heading into PS5 as there's just nothing more I would love to see from Sony than Japan Studio reaching a consistent level of acclaim that Sony's Western studios frequently enjoy & expect. All that's missing here is Tokyo Jungle 2 & a Fumito Udea collaboration that's hopefully in the works at Japan Studio.

None of what that person is saying is true. Although I wouldn't expect to see a new Wild Arms before Legend of Dragoon. Bluepoint wants to remake Legend of Dragoon and from what I understand, Demon's Souls was their first choice. After SotC they have full freedom to choose to do what they want. Means if they wanted to, after DS, they can remake Legend of Dragoon.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, the more the merrier! :)

So let's see, upcoming titles for PlayStation (PS4 or PS5) include Iron Man VR, Predator, TLOU2, FF7, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, MLB20, WiLD, Project Awakening, Bluepoint's next game... I think that covers the larger titles for the next year or so that we know of, right?
I think a new Ratchet & Clank game will be Sony's "family title" for the PS5 launch (like Knack was for the PS4).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think a new Ratchet & Clank game will be Sony's "family title" for the PS5 launch (like Knack was for the PS4).

I'm sure it'll come eventually, but I was thinking more about titles we either have seen or have been announced to some degree. AFAIK R&C hasn't been talked about or shown yet, right?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda rumored just as much as the Demon's Souls Remake / Bluepoint thingy ;)

Well the Demon's Souls remake at the very least had Jason chiming in to basically say it existed. Other than Sony mentioning that R&C was a very important franchise to them do we have anything from a source to indicate it's in development? Don't get me wrong I'm not calling you out or anything, I just don't recall any sources confirming its existence.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Well the Demon's Souls remake at the very least had Jason chiming in to basically say it existed. Other than Sony mentioning that R&C was a very important franchise to them do we have anything from a source to indicate it's in development? Don't get me wrong I'm not calling you out or anything, I just don't recall any sources confirming its existence.

Its happening. R&C 2016 was the most successful Ratchet game made

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had some people hinting at it. Seriously can't remember who they were again. It wasn't just the "R&C is important for us" thingy after the Insomniac acquistion. Damn, I really forgot who they were.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
We had some people hinting at it. Seriously can't remember who they were again. It wasn't just the "R&C is important for us" thingy after the Insomniac acquistion. Damn, I really forgot who they were.

From what I recall it was that guy who is banned here, Colin Moriarty. Though there seemed to be a misunderstanding at the time, he first said something like "there's still a PS4 exclusive left to announce" followed by "we haven't seen the last of Ratchet" a few days later, which led people to believe the exclusive game was Ratchet.

Thing is he later said that the exclusive he was talking about wasn't Ratchet and that he didn't know if there was a new one in development, but at that point people were already taking a new Ratchet for granted and that was getting spread everywhere.

Unless I missed other "leaks" that was it. Since Imran Khan said a new Spider-Man is probably due in 2021 I have my doubts Insomniac is also working on a main R&C, but I hope that's the case since I love that franchise.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I recall it was that guy who is banned here, Colin Moriarty. Though there seemed to be a misunderstanding at the time, he first said something like "there's still a PS4 exclusive left to announce" followed by "we haven't seen the last of Ratchet" a few days later, which led people to believe the exclusive game was Ratchet.

Thing is he later said that the exclusive he was talking about wasn't Ratchet and that he didn't know if there was a new one in development, but at that point people were already taking a new Ratchet for granted and that was getting spread everywhere.

Unless I missed other "leaks" that was it. Since Imran Khan said a new Spider-Man is probably due in 2021 I have my doubts Insomniac is also working on a main R&C, but I hope that's the case since I love that franchise.
Nah, not Colin. Damn, was it somebody here on Era even? Shit, I really forgot it ;D

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

They are working on a new R&C as they are a large studio and they were extremely happy with the last one's sales. There is 0% chance that they haven't been developing it by now.

Shawn Layden also would not have said how important Ratchet is to Sony if it was on hiatus to focus on Spider-Man

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are working on a new R&C as they are a large studio and they were extremely happy with the last one's sales. There is 0% chance that they haven't been developing it by now.

Shawn Layden also would not have said how important Ratchet is to Sony if it was on hiatus to focus on Spider-Man
And don't forget that Insomniac has two studios.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And don't forget that Insomniac has two studios.

Yeah, like I said they are large and have the resources to do another big project along with Spidey. Ratchet just seems like a no brainer since no one walks away from a series that had it's most successful entry with the latest one.

This State of Play kind of confirmed that Sony is done with major PS4 projects and just focusing on getting their announced ones out the door, so I'm now sure Ratchet will appear at the PS5 reveal event.

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac had enough people to work on that stupid magic goggles or whatever the fuck.
Now insom can focus purely on Ps5. Reign in all tbose weird side projects.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, like I said they are large and have the resources to do another big project along with Spidey. Ratchet just seems like a no brainer since no one walks away from a series that had it's most successful entry with the latest one.

This State of Play kind of confirmed that Sony is done with major PS4 projects and just focusing on getting their announced ones out the door, so I'm now sure Ratchet will appear at the PS5 reveal event.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say the "remaining projects" that insiders were talking about several months ago have been pushed to be next gen launch titles. They may be cross gen, but they'll launch with the PS5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so now that ghost of tsushima has shown up again in the state of play, and SP are hyping up their trailer/gameplay in TGA for tonight, it is becoming increasingly likely that the game is not a cross gen launch game like i and many other speculated, and rather it will launch before the PlayStation 5.
so the next question to ask is, what is going to be Sony's huge AAA launch game for the PS5? we have Demon's Souls Remake and possibly Ratchet as the 2.5A or lower budget AAA, but would they have something like Horizon 2 for launch day? feels too early for that. Are they just going to ride on next gen patches/rereleases of their big games + third parties for launch day?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If Horizon 2 launches with the PS5 that'll be close to 4 years after the first game launched. Considering they already have the setting down, the engine's been advancing considerably due to the work with KojiPro and whatever other enhancements they're putting in for the PS5, and the sheer size of Gorilla Games, I don't think it's unreasonable to think the game could be ready for launch or maybe even the launch window. With Hulst now in charge of WWS if he wants to get Horizon 2 out the door for launch he can ensure they're allocated the manpower and resources to make it happen.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
so now that ghost of tsushima has shown up again in the state of play, and SP are hyping up their trailer/gameplay in TGA for tonight, it is becoming increasingly likely that the game is not a cross gen launch game like i and many other speculated, and rather it will launch before the PlayStation 5.
so the next question to ask is, what is going to be Sony's huge AAA launch game for the PS5? we have Demon's Souls Remake and possibly Ratchet as the 2.5A or lower budget AAA, but would they have something like Horizon 2 for launch day? feels too early for that. Are they just going to ride on next gen patches/rereleases of their big games + third parties for launch day?
I could see Horizon Q1-Q2 2021

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Horizon 2 isn't a launch game, then I don't think it's going to be too long after launch before it's released. Perhaps a Second Son situation? When Guerrilla announced that they were expanding one of their goals was to be able to release games every 2-3 years. The original Horizon launched 2017. And there's little doubt that they've been cooking on the sequel since then.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something from an independent partner like Arrowhead (multiplayer), Housemarque (multiplayer) or Ready at Dawn (singleplayer) etc. Maybe even Guerrilla's and Naughty Dog's multiplayer games. I'm pretty sure Japan Studio will have a game ready for the PS5 launch, too. Many possibilities.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Probably what Housemarque is working on.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I expect it around that time too, but what will Sony launch with? what will be the Killzone shadowfall huge graphical showcase launch game?
Rachet and Clank and Demon Souls are going to look insane, probably a cut above other cross gen games at launch since they are built purely with the PS5 in mind. They definitely will serve the role of eye candy until Horizon 2 blows everything away.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I expect it around that time too, but what will Sony launch with? what will be the Killzone shadowfall huge graphical showcase launch game?

You can bet that Ratchet and Demon's are both going to look amazing. Just look at what Insomniac did with Ratchet 3 years ago on the PS4. What's more is that they'll likely stand out quite a bit visually compared to any other games. I mean, how many AAA animated-style visual games are people expecting to see at launch for these consoles? And DS has a very unique artstyle.

Aside from that, i'd certainly expect to see Horizon 2 before launch even if it's not going to release then. So people are going to know exactly what the console is capable of visually with those three games.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Realistically how many big titles should we expect day 1 for the PS5? They'll have to release enough games across a variety of genres to appeal to a large enough audience, but not too many games that they risk cannibalizing sales of one title over another. So what, maybe 4 or 5 major titles on launch day along with a buttload of smaller and indie titles? Then have some more ready to go for the launch window.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
What if Kojima meeting Insomniac was to find out how Insomniac's Game Engine (that powered Spider-Man) could help develop his next big ambitious game(which might not be a death stranding sequel). Perhaps kojima san is looking at a more super natural/super power themed game idea or I am just reaching

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony had a contract with Rockstar for an exclusive. After years of work the IP has been abandoned, maybe not the contract. I doubt the two could have been separated but it's a possibility.

More reliable, the Siren "Toyama-san" Team are working on something... as Japan Studio.

And I believe about a PSVR launch game (even just an announcement) , because the PS5 will drastically improve the headset experience. A girlfriend for Astrobot, a range of last-gen FPS VR adaptations, whatever.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically how many big titles should we expect day 1 for the PS5? They'll have to release enough games across a variety of genres to appeal to a large enough audience, but not too many games that they risk cannibalizing sales of one title over another. So what, maybe 4 or 5 major titles on launch day along with a buttload of smaller and indie titles? Then have some more ready to go for the launch window.
Its really hard to say, Sony Bend, Naughty Dog,MM,Sony London, Suckerpunch, all release something or about to release something its not possible for them to be ready for launch most I can see is remasters.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Its really hard to say, Sony Bend, Naughty Dog,MM, Suckerpunch all release something or about to release something its not possible for them to be ready for launch most I can see is remasters.

Oh I'm not just talking about first party stuff, but just in general. Sony's got plenty of third party partners to call upon with Bluepoint, Housemarque, RAD and many more who we know are working on PS5 titles. I'm just wondering how many exclusives titles they'll position for day 1 on the PS5. Keep in mind of course that there'll be tons of multi-plat titles also available at launch and probably enhanced BC patches for PS4 titles so there should be tons for people to choose from.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Kojima meeting Insomniac was to find out how Insomniac's Game Engine (that powered Spider-Man) could help develop his next big ambitious game(which might not be a death stranding sequel). Perhaps kojima san is looking at a more super natural/super power themed game idea or I am just reaching
No reason for this when you already have the incredible Decima Engine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.