• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
RE2 Remake probably had a lot more to do with that than any Sony game.

Why? RE7 was really successful too. I don't think it really has much to do with RE since Resident Evil games tend to do very well regardless, and it had more to do with their own efforts in the genre. Another Sony horror game, Until Dawn, over performed for them as well.

The gene as a whole has a lot of appeal, even zombie games tend to do well with little effort. But seeing as they have Toyama and other talent, they probably they could do huge things with a first party developed Silent Hill.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
They just tweet that their coworkers are great and working together at a great project. That does not exclude crunch.

Sometimes we can read more from tweets then there is.

I didnt say their tweets suggested that their crunch isnt so bad.. i just feel like they were asked to say something nice about their company, thats all. Whis isnt bad. I was just hoping that anyone could actually adress the elephant in the room since jason has called them out on that for what, third time already?

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt say their tweets suggested that their crunch isnt so bad.. i just feel like they were asked to say something nice about their company, thats all. Whis isnt bad. I was just hoping that anyone could actually adress the elephant in the room since jason has called them out on that for what, third time already?

Or maybe they think that Cooper guy is painting things in the wrong light. I think it is more a response to him than that article. Seems like he lied about his co-worker being hospitalized because of crunch. She said it was her period. And maybe they actually do like working there even in the conditions are not ideal. Asking them to tweet something nice seems a bit much.

Oct 25, 2017
Why? RE7 was really successful too. I don't think it really has much to do with RE since Resident Evil games tend to do very well regardless, and it had more to do with their own efforts in the genre. Another Sony horror game, Until Dawn, over performed for them as well.

The gene as a whole has a lot of appeal, even zombie games tend to do well with little effort. But seeing as they have Toyama and other talent, they probably they could do huge things with a first party developed Silent Hill.

Fair enough. I still think that is why they zeroed in on Silent Hill as opposed to creating something new. SH is right there with RE as the iconic class survival horror franchises. Having it in Sony's stable and done justice would be a huge deal.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of ND devs speaking out about how great their workplace is? I dont know, seems fishy. Feels like ND asked them to say anything nice about them asap. I doubt that jason's 13 sources were all just employees with bad luck regarding their experience with ND.
This is a ridiculous post. This forum sometimes.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
A lot of ND devs speaking out about how great their workplace is? I dont know, seems fishy. Feels like ND asked them to say anything nice about them asap. I doubt that jason's 13 sources were all just employees with bad luck regarding their experience with ND.

What I will say here is not saying to "defend" Naughty Dog or to denial any problem that could be in Naughty Dog :

But when you talk about an enterprise with more than 200 employees in, and with a lot of turn-over around the years (which is not a videogame industry specific issue btw).
It's absolutely not difficult to find 13 employees / former employees who will have negative things to say about working conditions.

That saying, once again, that does not invalidate the remarks, that does not negate the possible problems, that is not there to "defend" ND or what.

But let's keep that in mind too.

There also, if it is not impossible that we ask employees to make this kind of messages in "damage control" mode.
It is not unnatural either to see employees who like an enterprise express postivious things when it is caught in a negative element.

Everything is never all white or all black, there are never 100% happy employees in a big company, there is never 100% unhappy either.

Social networks can be a powerful means of communication for crisis management with forced action.
But it can also be a place where people just want to express things with sincerity, including positive things.

There is always a tendency to be more wary of positive things than negative things.
But both can be just as frank as borrowed from dishonesty.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Lol most that leaves my workplace (and there's a good turnover) would say it's awful. It's really not hard to find bad blood around people that have left a place.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
A mix of zealous indignation for some, and a perfect outlet to shit on ND and Sony for others. Crunch sucks, but it is the norm rather than the exception. A serious discussion ought to be had but not the sensationalist reporting of the holier than thou team, and especially not the clear vindictive agenda of a disgruntled ex employee...
Truth

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Fair enough. I still think that is why they zeroed in on Silent Hill as opposed to creating something new. SH is right there with RE as the iconic class survival horror franchises. Having it in Sony's stable and done justice would be a huge deal.

Yeah, Silent Hill 1-3 are generally well regarded with Silent Hill 2 being hailed as one of the best games of the PS2 era. It also hit a more mainstream audience with its films.

So with proper marketing it could do very well and reach new heights as a prominent SIE funded game.

Because I played it on the PS One, it had an atmosphere like no other game back then. I would love to see it on the PS5, but just to watch someone playing lol

I get what you're saying, and hopefully it offers more than just scares with a compelling plot and impacting cutscenes.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would you do it if your boss was to ask you? I know I won't.

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
I thought of something last night, anyone capable of it would need some serious talent or a team, but you could totally do something similar to Robot Chicken in Dreams. Making different creations from popular media for comedic effect.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are plenty of people who are happy or at least proud to work at ND, but thats irrelevant to the crunch discussion. Its horrible and should be illegal to allow employees to work those kinds of hours, there's no defense for it.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
There's still their external division. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of JRPG in collaboration with someone else.
External division such as senior producer Kentaro Motomura who was assistant producer on Wild Arms since WA3. His contact with MediaVision is still strong and like Scott Rohde said to Colin Moriarty at PSX 2015: "We will never retire an IP". He is now head of internal development of PlayStation WWS. On PS4 he was president of SCEA WWS and Shu was president of WWS. That means Scott Rohde is now controlling all studios and not just in US region.

MediaVision was looking for new character artists in July 2018 who can properly draw models of people (humans). It said for a PlayStation RPG. Their company had 156 people since April last year.

With the news of Silent Hill reboot and Silent Hills the new heads of WWS like Hermen Hulst, Scott Rohde and Asad Qizilbash is looking into strong IPs in their portfolio. Established IPs that can become bigger with right funds and support.

Something Hiphopgamer talked about in January. They want to diversify their portfolio with strong brands. Both creating new IPs into strong brands and grow established IPs. It's a new leadership under WWS who has different ideas in comparison to Shu, Allan Becker, etc.

Allan Becker has retired from WWS, btw. Shu becomes head of indies. Their direction for WWS and JAPAN Studio was not working. Either game development get stuck for years or the games have way too small peanut budgets with irrelevancy for public.

That's why that rumor about SCE was in talks with Universal Entertainment Corporation (Aruze Corp) to get something done with Koudelka/Shadow Hearts. The creator himself announce his studio last year, WILDROSE. Ohsawa is suspiciously to be working there (art director of Shadow Hearts). Plus the creator said WILDROSE is fully independent like MediaVision. Collaboration with Japan Studio's external division is not far-fetched.

If Sony can get license rights to SH they will shop around for more license rights because gamers care about these franchises.

Japan Studio as internal workforce did studio's producer hinted at towards the end of 2016:
"While I can't give any details yet, we're also moving forward with creation of ambitious new titles and new title concepts at the same time, so please continue to support SIE Japan Studio in 2017."

Their direction newly changed behind the scenes to prepare for next gen. Their old direction according to Gavin Moore at GDC 2014 was to make games with small teams. Their mantra from Allan Becker's direction was to make games you would normally not get on a console. This authority didn't work out in the end.

Now you can see on Gavin Moore's LinkedIn page that Japan Studio's current direction is to operate large teams. New leadership, new direction. That should also apply to external division. They are only going to make necessary games from now on. More Bloodborne, Wild Arms, less The Tomorrow Children, Rain stuff.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
A mix of zealous indignation for some, and a perfect outlet to shit on ND and Sony for others. Crunch sucks, but it is the norm rather than the exception. A serious discussion ought to be had but not the sensationalist reporting of the holier than thou team, and especially not the clear vindictive agenda of a disgruntled ex employee...

"We should protest crunch, but not that way"

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
"We should protest crunch, but not that way"

Which totally makes sense, since a boycott would do more harm than good.

Also it would additionaly feel weird for me to boycott a game that is already a target for a boycott by alt right gamers who don't want queer charaters in their games.

Though, I'm probably not getting it Day 1 because I'm not that big of a TLoU fan.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
So I feel like I'm approaching the end of Days Gone, just did my first horde. Excellent experience and honestly the biggest highlight of the game for me. The managing of resources, the strategy and pre-planning of how to tackle them and holding down the choke points was amazing and I'm probably going to tackle all of them when I have some more free time.

That being said, the rest of the game has felt like a slog. I'll likely share my thoughts more in a Days Gone thread, but things from the open world, gunplay, storytelling, script and character building aren't that great. They aren't bad or even average, (minus the gunplay) but they aren't at the quality that Sony's other games have been at. I'll definitely give Bend another chance if Days Gone 2 is more interesting in scope, because this is their first try at a big budget cinematic experience. If not at least at a discount, as for their first try even with 7 years of development, this is a great first try. I'll say at least they haven't massively failed like Ready At Dawn, which still hurts to this day.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be so much concern...

I can see all the threads now, concern or otherwise:
- Is the last of us part II too violent?
- opinion: The last of us part II isnt as good as part I.
- should sony have waited and released the last of us part II on PS5
- would you buy a pc port of the last of us part II
- the last of us part II is the best looking game this gen
- now that the last of us part II is out what do you want naughty dog to make?
Etc.

Oct 25, 2017
As a days gone and dreams fan it's almost insulting how much y'all try to make it seem like a lot of ppl about to shit on tlou2 lol. Overall it'll win the sites goty if not gotg. Ya wanna see concern I suggest ya visit any dreams thread from 2015 to now..eh don't even gotta leave this thread actually

Oct 25, 2017
Etc.

I honestly couldn't care less what Era in general thinks about TLOU2 or ND.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Etc.

Those all seem like valid avenues of discussion, though?

Heaven forbid people actually discuss video games on a video game message board.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Etc.

more like

- was Bruce Straley the real genius?
- TLoUII didn't sell 10M copies in one month with an install base of over +100M. Heads should roll.
- And this is why it didn't need a sequel
- The violence in TLoUII reminds me of what ND developers went through to create this game
- Another 3rd person action from Sony. I'm still waiting on that first person 0 gravity golf simulator based on a mascot that was popular in the 90s.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Dreams already more than capable creating horror games; indirectly also as PlayStation first-party horror games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, he's right. A lot of those points are already exhausted.

I mean, presumably after the game comes out we'd have more information, though, so there would be new things to discuss?

This thread seems incredibly defensive regarding TLOU2. It doesn't even come out for two months and we're already writing off any potential criticism as concern trolling or performative wokeness.

Sony can handle people making threads to discuss TLOU2, I promise. It will still sell a zillion copies without us rushing to prematurely dismiss even the thought of any potential criticism.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I mean, presumably after the game comes out we'd have more information, though, so there would be new things to discuss?

This thread seems incredibly defensive regarding TLOU2. It doesn't even come out for two months and we're already writing off any potential criticism as concern trolling or performative wokeness.

Sony can handle people making threads to discuss TLOU2, I promise. It will still sell a zillion copies without us rushing to prematurely dismiss even the thought of any potential criticism.
I am writing it off as concern trolling and wokeness, yes, because most of it is.
I promise you, you will still have plenty of threads to bitch and moan about it regardless of what a couple people in this thread say.

Sentry

Vigilant Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
As a days gone and dreams fan it's almost insulting how much y'all try to make it seem like a lot of ppl about to shit on tlou2 lol. Overall it'll win the sites goty if not gotg. Ya wanna see concern I suggest ya visit any dreams thread from 2015 to now..eh don't even gotta leave this thread actually
Honestly, this is a point that I think is a bit ironic. There's were claims up and down about Days Gone and Dreams. Both games did fine. I think that the standards we hold need to be examined cause something is off.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more like

- was Bruce Straley the real genius?
- TLoUII didn't sell 10M copies in one month with an install base of over +100M. Heads should roll.
- And this is why it didn't need a sequel
- The violence in TLoUII reminds me of what ND developers went through to create this game
- Another 3rd person action from Sony. I'm still waiting on that first person 0 gravity golf simulator based on a mascot that was popular in the 90s.

What's sad is that certain people have been doing this since the old site. I remember the convoluted ways people used to concern troll GG and HZD.

Then it came out and crow was being served everywhere.

Post history is a beautiful thing. And before any of you get in trouble going back and forth with any of those guys I'd encourage all of you to utilize it. It's extremely eye opening.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Dreams getting political with Bernie OK Boomer in Tik-Tok style made in Dreams.

FancyTatteredGoa-size_restricted.gif

I just woke up and I feel that's enough of the internet for me today.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the horse in shadow of the colusses still controls like shit, I think I stopped playing the original because of the character controls/ camera I think, but it seems the improvements bluepoint made are making it a bit better. I have so far taken down 4 colossi and I really hope the horse has no major part to play fighting colossi other than just getting me to there areas.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This topic is only about exclusives so no they don't matter here. Also TLOU is not a horror game IMO, but he the closest thing to survival horror that Sony has. Siren is dead and has been for a long time. Bloodborne Sony cannot do anything worthwhile with the IP without From Software. Also not really a horror game.

Well, some of them are/were console exclusive, like Amnesia: Rebirth at the moment, and before that, SOMA, Outlast, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (2015), and RE7 VR.

It's not really up for debate, whether games like TLOU and BB are horror or not. It's not a genre that's strictly defined, according to someone's limited perception of what it's supposed to be. Jump scares and gore galore alone don't make horror. After all, a film like Rosemary's Baby is just as much horror as something like The Descent. They're just different breeds of horror.

The Last of Us is a 2013 action-adventure survival horror video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

R2ostsm.jpg

KON8qzd.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to post the Wiki entry of BB.

en.wikipedia.org

Bloodborne - Wikipedia

Daniel Tack of Game Informer praised the game's unsettling atmosphere and the aesthetic visuals, which he stated "had brought horror to life".
Edge wrote that it was a "dazzling work of dank, abject horror that cements Miyazaki as one of the all-time greats."[74] Electronic Gaming Monthly wrote "Though built on the same core as the Souls games, Bloodborne marks the largest departure from the status quo to date. The numerous changes, many in service of a faster and more aggressive playstyle, might not be for everyone, but if you embrace that shift, you might well have a new favorite in the From Software canon."[75] Kevin VanOrd of GameSpot praised its Lovecraftian horror-themed storyline, energetic boss battles, precise combat for making encounters with enemies fun, as well as its unique artistry and varied environments. He also praised the sound-design of the enemies, the difficulty, which he compared to Dark Souls II, and the melee-based weapons featured in the game for allowing transformation during battle. Regarding the survival horror portion of the game, he stated that it succeeded in making players feel disturbed.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made a real game or big level in Dreams?I see a lot of post here with cool concepts,but where is the games?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Etc.

Haha. Spot on, but you forgot the thread beginning with "Anyone else..."

Oct 30, 2017
Etc.
Lmao you seriously spotted on most of the threads titles about TLOU2 in the upcoming summer time XD

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
With ultrawide support announced for Horizon on Steam, plus rumors that next-gen consoles (Series X in particular) could be compatible with this sort of monitor, I hope that PS5 surprises with a similar use of the technology.

At any rate, BC improvements are what I want to know more about, whenever they're ready to share details.

Status
Not open for further replies.