• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, it definitely will need to be cheaper or at least have some unique killer features if that's the case.
That's the thing though, i believe MS will go for the throat and just pricematch them into oblivion.

It won't be 9.2. Really wish they would reveal the specs so this repetitive speculation will end.
With Sony with PS4 showing they want to keep price low and be profitable from the start, i don't think it's impossible.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
HZD confirmed for PC

Interview with Hermen on PS Blog
Hermen Hulst Q&A: Interview with Head of PlayStation's Worldwide Studios
blog.us.playstation.com

Hermen Hulst Q&A: Interview with Head of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios

What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of world-class game studios.

PSB: Speaking of experimentation, there have been rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition that might be coming to PC… can you confirm or deny that?
HH:
Yes, I can confirm that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC this summer…. There will be more information coming from Guerrilla, from the new studio directors [Michiel van der Leeuw, JB van Beek, and Angie Smets] pretty soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
A 9.2TF PS5 wouldn't be a problem for Sony (or me). I'm already expecting it to be around that power level. If it's higher than that, cool, but 9.2TF is still a huge jump over base PS4/XB1, and that's just talking about the GPU. The CPU, storage, and memory will also be huge leaps over current gen. I'm also expecting PS5 to be cheaper than the Series X if it does actually end up at or around 9.2TF.

Oct 26, 2017
HZD confirmed for PC

blog.us.playstation.com

What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of world-class game studios.

PSB: Speaking of experimentation, there have been rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition that might be coming to PC… can you confirm or deny that?
HH:
Yes, I can confirm that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC this summer…. There will be more information coming from Guerrilla, from the new studio directors [Michiel van der Leeuw, JB van Beek, and Angie Smets] pretty soon.

Angie22 Tell us more

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
Hermen also said this, for those interested:
"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases],... "

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
PSB: PlayStation is no stranger to publishing titles on the PC, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the largest games to make that leap. Is there anything you would say to PlayStation fans? What does it mean for the future?
HH:
Sure. I think it's important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they've been missing out on.

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

So hopefully no port begging.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though, i believe MS will go for the throat and just pricematch them into oblivion.

With Sony with PS4 showing they want to keep price low and be profitable from the start, i don't think it's impossible.

Sony was in a completely different positions an entire corporation 7 years ago. They can absolutely afford a loss even initially even if it isn't ideal. The cost of the two consoles is said to be very similar so unless Sony made some really bad design decisions 9.25 TF is not realistic. Literally the only thing pointing to a 9.25 TF GPU is a hardware test on Github that could mean nothing. Literally everything else points to the two being very similar. One the most reliable insiders(Matt) here said the difference will be negligible.

Not that I believe 9.2 either, but what makes you so certain?

Because people I believe have said the two consoles are basically twins. 9.25 and 12 is not a negligible difference.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Every new SIE announcement discussion will from now on be filled with comments such as "will just wait for the PC version" and "when is the PC release?". Can't wait /s.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
At least they confirmed their "plans" for PC. Which is good.

I still think it's a bad idea to "devalue" the platform by launching an exclusive game on PC, but we will see that this will result in more people buying Sony consoles or not. I can see many people not buying a PS5 because they will think that a possible Horizon 2 will be released for PC as well.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Hermen also said this, for those interested:
"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases],... "
PR talk.

Oct 26, 2017

I still think it's a bad idea to "devalue" the platform by launching an exclusive PC game, but we will see that this will result in more people buying Sony consoles or not. I can see many people not buying a PS5 because they will think that a possible Horizon 2 will be released for PC as well.

There is nothing to devalue at all.

Sony knows that there is a sizeable amount of people that will stick to PC no matter what and they want to serve these people with their games, it's simple.
And releasing a game after 3 years since the original launch is not going to devalue your platform.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I still think it's a bad idea to "devalue" the platform by launching an exclusive PC game, but we will see that this will result in more people buying Sony consoles or not. I can see many people not buying a PS5 because they will think that a possible Horizon 2 will be released for PC as well.
It's no doubt gonna hurt console sales and everything which comes with that (PS+ subs, revenue through the PSN Store), the only question is if the profit from the PC releases will make up for those losses or not.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

Sony knows that there is a sizeable amount of people that will stick to PC no matter what and they want to serve these people with their games, it's simple.
And releasing a game after 3 years since the original launch is not going to devalue your platform.

Well, it excludes the fact that you need to have that hardware to play that game. It's like saying that Stranger Things being released on Amazon Prime and Disney Plus does not devalue the Netflix subscription

Oct 25, 2017
HZD confirmed for PC

blog.us.playstation.com

HH:

Interesting. I wonder how they chose HZD out of all games? Because Kojima laid the groundwork for a port with Death Stranding. They say they are still committed to exclusives so we will see how this goes.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it excludes the fact that you need to have that hardware to play that game. It's like saying that Stranger Things being released on Amazon Prime and Disney Plus does not devalue the Netflix subscription

People that were/are interested to Horizon already bought the game back in 2017 or 2018.

Sony is launching Horizon on Steam to bring the game to another audience not interested in a game like this, they are not trying to sell Horizon to people that are interested in Horizon by bringing the game on PC.

Steam has an audience of over 90 million users and a reaches a lot of more countries than PSN for example, just think about China, PC is more popular than consoles by a big margin, chinese steam users seeing Horizon on PC is way more appealing than having to buy a new console.

Oct 25, 2017
I am interested in seeing just how good it will look on PC, along with the modding that is sure to come. HZD x Dino Crisis anyone?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017

Then port it to other consoles too?
I mean, those people are missing out too.

I don't really care either way but the discourse for a new first party announcement would be insufferable from this point onwards.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Hermen Hulst: "We're going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. Just try things out to see what works, i think that's very much also part of the DNA of WWS"

soundcloud.com

PlayStation Blogcast 358: Hermen Hulst Speaks

A special episode of the podcast with Head of Worldwide Studios Hermen Hulst. What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of w

Oct 26, 2017
Then port it to other consoles too?
I mean, those people are missing out too.

I don't really care either way but the discourse for a new first party announcement would be insufferable from this point onwards.

They are not going to port something to Xbox, just like Xbox is not going to port their games on PlayStation, they are competitors.
MLB The Show and Mineacraft are the only two exceptions.

PC is not seen as a competitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Man Sony is on some bullshit. We already knew that HZD to PC was happening, but we are talking about PC ports as the news of the week when everyone wants PS5 info?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
At least, PS5 is still planned for 2020

PSB: You've been with the company for a long time, you know what goes into a hardware launch year. A lot of challenges and opportunities that studios face, including Worldwide Studios. What are the teams focused on right now?
HH:
You know, these are the most exciting times when you develop on a console. We are super hard at work at the moment… and honestly, I can't wait to talk to you in more detail about that.

Oct 25, 2017
Hermen Hulst: "We're going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. Just try things out to see what works, i think that's very much also part of the DNA of WWS"

soundcloud.com

A special episode of the podcast with Head of Worldwide Studios Hermen Hulst. What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of w
Yeah, I think they should. Who knows what could come of it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
3 years is a pretty big gap in terms of launching on other platforms, especially considering how fast the industry moves so it makes sense for Sony to do it this way. Plus Horizon is generally dirt cheap now on PS4 anyway. Hopefully PC owners have a great time with the game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

soundcloud.com

It'll be interesting to see what he means by experimentation. Are we talking about PSone-era Sony type of stuff where they were batshit crazy in terms of coming up with news ideas? Or are we talking about SIE studio's dipping into established genres that some feel don't get enough attention right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.