• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
No there is nothing announced.

Only thought it would be interesting but I believe most events were around one month before launch.
TLOU2 was in September and supposed to launch in February. It really depends on the state of the game
I'll never forget the day those Bloodborne clips leaked.
I won't ever forget this moment. Maybe the biggest leak ever
Where dem trademarks at, Sony. That would be a fun diuscussion.
I remember when Death Stranding's appeared and no one had a single idea what it could be

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But when people ask for a JRPG from SIE, they wouldnt ask for bloodborne 2 to fill that void right? because from software's RPGs has a lot more in common with other WRPGs than JRPGs.

Not specifically arguing on FF7R though, that game still has a lot in common with JRPGs, I just think that saying that JRPG is an RPG made by a Japanese studio might be misrepresenting what people are looking for.

At least in my case, this is why I always ask for Bloodborne 2 AND some RPGs to make the delineation clear. Souls games are great but I need more than just Souls games, especially if I'm in an RPG mood and don't have any good options. I don't always want to play super-stressy action games.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If y'all are only asking for some sort of Dragon Quest/Persona-like jrpg from Sony then I'm out.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Just going to ask here since I haven't been able to find a thread about it...

I'm having party chat issues on my PS4 where, without fail, once a night I get booted from the chat after about an hour of playing. The games never have lag or disconnect on me. I can immediately rejoin the chat without any issues as well. I'm on a Type 2 NAT with a wired connection. Doesn't matter if I start the party or if I join someone else's either. It's so weird. I generally play Apex with the same group of friends from 10pm to 12am on weeknights and between 11 or 11:15 pm, I get booted from the chat. It happens 99% of the time we play.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Sony doesn't get credit for distributing a game Tecmo Koei was already making, in my opinion. I'm not even sure why Sony involved themselves in Nioh 2 at all, it's not like TK needs the help, y'know?
Yeah, I see your point. Perhaps it has to do with console exclusivity, or being the first edition available, way before PC gets out.
Not specifically arguing on FF7R though, that game still has a lot in common with JRPGs, I just think that saying that JRPG is an RPG made by a Japanese studio might be misrepresenting what people are looking for.
That's pretty much my opinion. I'd never argue that FF7R is a Japanese Action Role-Playing Game; the topic was about the game not representing, to me, a departure from similar games already developed by Sony. It's not the style of RPG I thought people here wanted, and if it is, okay, let's have more of that, either from Japan or any other place in the world, but I wouldn't say that particular niche is absent.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all are only asking for some sort of Dragon Quest/Persona-like jrpg from Sony then I'm out.

I would prefer something more like a Final Fantasy game in terms of budget and scope, rather than yet another cliche anime game. Like give me a big-budget game with the tone and theming of a Final Fantasy Tactics. That's what I want to see, not "anime high schoolers team up to fight the big bad~!"

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
But when people ask for a JRPG from SIE, they wouldnt ask for bloodborne 2 to fill that void right? because from software's RPGs has a lot more in common with other WRPGs than JRPGs.

Modiz, you know me well enough to know the last thing I would ask Sony for is Bloodborne 2 or any game similar to that lol
source.gif

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding JRPG from SIE If it was up to me I would try to get Matsuno (Tactics Ogre, FFT, Vagrant Story, original FFXII which a lot stayed in the game) and let him do whatever he wants. He always made one of the most mature JRPG stories. If done well it would be not only resonate with Japanese audiences but also Western and it would fit SIE output like a glove.

Like imagine a game like Vagrant Story made with SIE money or FFXII with the original story concept where Bash is the main hero. Holy shit it would be so good.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The only way I see Sony making another JRPG is by contracting Level-5.

There aren't many independent studios left that are big enough to actually make an AAA JRPG. Level-5 is one of them and they could need the funding for sure.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
I do wonder how many games Sony has in development. They've been quieter since E3 2018 which why I certainly want to have the PS5 reveal sooner than later. I just wanna know whats been in the oven and what their plan is.

Especially partnerships with third party developers sicne that is the only way to get some new ips considering what a lot of sony studios are probably making.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The key takeaway here is that if/when Sony announces a first party JRPG the response here will be "No, not like that!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The key takeaway here is that if/when Sony announces a first party JRPG the response here will be "No, not like that!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, if they make some gross exploitative anime game about titties and upskirts I would probably just throw my hypothetical PS5 into a woodchipper, but hopefully Sony isn't stupid enough to greenlight a project like that.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Just going to ask here since I haven't been able to find a thread about it...

I'm having party chat issues on my PS4 where, without fail, once a night I get booted from the chat after about an hour of playing. The games never have lag or disconnect on me. I can immediately rejoin the chat without any issues as well. I'm on a Type 2 NAT with a wired connection. Doesn't matter if I start the party or if I join someone else's either. It's so weird. I generally play Apex with the same group of friends from 10pm to 12am on weeknights and between 11 or 11:15 pm, I get booted from the chat. It happens 99% of the time we play.
I've had the same problem with a friend of mine, but our situation differs in that we would immediately get the NAT 2 error. I can't imagine it giving an error one hour in without ANY change at all in the party, so I'm guessing it happens when somebody joins in?

It's been a very, very long time since we've last had this issue, so I'm not so sure anymore how we fixed it, but I'm quite sure it's some modem/router related issue. Something with a port you should open up, I reckon. If none of that works, just try playing wireless, if possible.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they make some gross exploitative anime game about titties and upskirts I would probably just throw my hypothetical PS5 into a woodchipper, but hopefully Sony isn't stupid enough to greenlight a project like that.
I don't think they would be.

I'll agree with what you said earlier that the dream is a Final Fantasy scale budget with a less juvenile tone like FF Tactics. Would be amazing but I doubt it'll happen. I'd expect kind of like what Sega is making these days.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
DARK CLOUD 3! DARK CLOUD 3! DARK CLOUD 3!

I said it three times. It gotta happen now.
Shit, I remember the time I got a Dark Cloud demo on the PS2 and played through it so many times the disc stopped working.. Good memories popping up now; Loved it! We weren't as financially fortunate back then, so I never could get the full game, but now.. Hmm. Time to buy them all, I guess :) For nostalgia sake!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would be.

I'll agree with what you said earlier that the dream is a Final Fantasy scale budget with a less juvenile tone like FF Tactics. Would be amazing but I doubt it'll happen. I'd expect kind of like what Sega is making these days.

Sega? You mean like a Yakuza game? Yakuza is in a weird place because the games are actually pretty low-budget and coast by on reusing assets on a level that would make Steam developers blush. They're extremely, extremely good at making do with limited assets and short dev times, but I don't think any other studio would be able to work under those conditions.

Beyond that is Sega even making RPGs? There's Persona, but that was just a PS3 game they ported up to PS4 with minimal improvements.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Media.Vision is not the best software house around here but, given their history with Sony (Wild Arms, Rapid Reload/Gunners Heaven, Crime Crackers), it could be a good solution
Yeah. I'd really like them to revisit that partnership finally. It's been too long and Wild Arms would still stand out very well given its setting compared to other JRPGs in the works, just like it did back in the day.

There aren't many independent studios left that are big enough to actually make an AAA JRPG. Level-5 is one of them and they could need the funding for sure.
Yeah, now seems like a good time to explore working with them again either on something new or bringing something big back like Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy. Especially since they both came out pretty well with the two Ni no Kuni games (even if the movie apparently sadly bombed) despite not really working together on that outside of giving them both some extra visibility.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sega? You mean like a Yakuza game? Yakuza is in a weird place because the games are actually pretty low-budget and coast by on reusing assets on a level that would make Steam developers blush. They're extremely, extremely good at making do with limited assets and short dev times, but I don't think any other studio would be able to work under those conditions.

Beyond that is Sega even making RPGs? There's Persona, but that was just a PS3 game they ported up to PS4 with minimal improvements.
I mean like Sakura Wara and Valkyria Chronicles 4 (CS2, I believe? I know Yakuza is CS1). Like... that scale of JRPG, not necessarily that tone or particular gameplay.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'd really like them to revisit that partnership finally. It's been too long and Wild Arms would still stand out very well given its setting compared to other JRPGs in the works, just like it did back in the day.

A Wild ARMs franchise relaunch with a grown-up look at the series would be awesome. I'm all for that. WA went off the rails in no small part because 4 and 5 became so UNBELIEVABLY ANIME it was next to impossible to take them seriously.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019

I have given up on trying to read Era's opinion on Level-5 XD. Some sort of redemption of Level-5 through a Playstation collaboration would be fitting though.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
No, that is just your own personal interpretation.
A JRPG is an RPG made by a japanese studio.

Having teenage drama or being Turned Based does not make it more or less JRPG.
Someone telling me that FF7 is not an JRPG is weird to me.
Didn't realize the standardized interpretation of a JRPG is that it is a role playing game from Japan and that's it. I personally wouldn't consider Dark Souls a JRPG.

Do you have a source saying that's the standardized categorization of a JRPG? Why is that definition any more valid than mine if there isn't a standard. As previously discussed, the souls games JRPG satus is a bit of a debate so its kinda weird to claim that other people are wrong without a source, no?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I think JRPG is one of those gaming words that's taken on more meanings over the years, for better or worse. It's like "AAA" is supposed to indicate a game's budget and marketing capacity, but now has a modern connotation that it's speaking to quality. It feels AAA. Similarly "JRPG" is simply put, an rpg by a Japanese dev, but it also has grown to represent a design philosophy and expectation of certain core game mechanics. You could resist this new connotation, but doing so is being somewhat pedantic (it's a bit "old man yelling at clouds") and doesn't really work anyway. As an old man often yelling at clouds I can say firsthand we rarely win. Best to just accept it an move on lol.
Agree hard with this.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
WA3 is probably my favorite but I really liked WA5.

Regarding JRPG from SIE If it was up to me I would try to get Matsuno (Tactics Ogre, FFT, Vagrant Story, original FFXII which a lot stayed in the game) and let him do whatever he wants. He always made one of the most mature JRPG stories. If done well it would be not only resonate with Japanese audiences but also Western and it would fit SIE output like a glove.

Like imagine a game like Vagrant Story made with SIE money or FFXII with the original story concept where Bash is the main hero. Holy shit it would be so good.
Yeah, at this point there's likely no chance but if it were to somehow miraculously happen I agree they would find they fit together very well.

Theoretically it'd probably have to be like their setup with Ueda since they'd have to provide the development team aside from anyone Matsuno would want to bring in like for art and music since Matsuno doesn't have one.
I wonder if he has come around to wanting to work on something bigger again since at least for a while there it sounded like there was a lot of talk that he just wanted smaller projects after getting burned out. It's been a long time now though.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Didn't realize the standardized interpretation of a JRPG is that it is a role playing game from Japan and that's it. I personally wouldn't consider Dark Souls a JRPG.

Do you have a source saying that's the standardized categorization of a JRPG? Why is that definition any more valid than mine if there isn't a standard. As previously discussed, the souls games JRPG satus is a bit of a debate so its kinda weird to claim that other people are wrong without a source, no?
www.collinsdictionary.com

JRPG definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

JRPG definition: Japanese role-playing game | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So what happened to that Horizon port to PC? It's been 10 days since the anniversary and nothing yet.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Well that settles it. We'll just ignore the whole implication of pragmatic linguistics and the decades-long debate of this topic lol.
I don't even know what people are arguing at this point tbh.
If people want to call it FF7R a tennis game go ahead.

But it just seems people are assigning meaning to the word JRPG based on their experiences, and not what was intended to mean.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what people are arguing at this point tbh.
If people want to call it FF7R a tennis game go ahead.

But it just seems people are assigning meaning to the word JRPG based on their experiences, and not what was intended to mean.

No worries Angie22 I'm just poking fun a bit. I don't even care tbh. But just fyi this whole "what IS a jrpg" discussion has been a nerd debate for a really long time. I'm honestly surprised that's news to anyone who spends time on a gaming forum.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
No worries Angie22 I'm just poking fun a bit. I don't even care tbh. But just fyi this whole "what IS a jrpg" discussion has been a nerd debate for a really long time. I'm honestly surprised that's news to anyone who spends time on a gaming forum.
Some people's blood pressure shoots all the way up when someone even entertains the idea that a FromSoft game belongs to same overall genre as their high school anime waifu simulator.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Honestly is not something that I ever argued about or put any thought to it lol
Also the forums I used before this were a bit diferent when it comes to gaming discussions lol

Shoutout to Destructoid and Neoseeker

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
While we are all out here fighting over the fact that people fight over JRPG definitions, Kojima's check just cleared, and he is locking down as many Game of Thrones actors as he can for his upcoming AAA horror project. The smoke screen is working.

I can't wait!
JRPGs are D E A D
Long live Kojima!
Long live Toyama!
Long live AAA Horror!

LaDiiablo

Feb 20, 2020
it's okey boys, one day we'll get our reveal & then the pain will stop! but honestly start to believe that Sony won't say anything about PS5 until after GoT! so maybe their event will be around E3! also expect it to be digital if Corona didn't slow down

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly is not something that I ever argued about or put any thought to it lol
Also the forums I used before this were a bit diferent when it comes to gaming discussions lol

Shoutout to Destructoid and Neoseeker
Well I envy you did not have to endure years of it, and its every dumb permutation. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.