• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Try to play some JRPGs, non-JRPG folk. Give Persona 5 a shot. You'll be surprised.

lol

I'll be honest, I want to get back into JRPGs, but the writing just continues to frustrate me. I tried Persona 5, and disliked a lot of the writing especially around certain characters. I tried Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, and felt like I was on a completely different wavelength then the main characters. The villains they expected me to like I was bored by, and the ones they expected me to sympathize with I hated. I feel like I'm either to familiar with the "anime" tropes JRPGs tend to use, but more often then not the stories just frustrate me. Combine that with some questionable character designs, especially for female characters, and it just feels like JRPGs aren't really for people like me anymore.

Maybe if some first party ones were made the quality would be a bit higher. I definitely wouldn't object to some being made, but I've lost a lot of faith in those style of games over the past two console generations.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In an industry that is rife with sequels, how is this a negative?
In my opinion, it's a negative to SIEJA because their policy of preferring new IPs rather than evolved & improved sequels to let the game's world/lore expanded, that if I called it correctly, it also what Shuhei Yoshida says.

Astro Bot already planted strong roots with great receptions & currently highest Metacritic for VR game (unless Alyx would dethroned it), in a sense, a more evolved & improved sequel should be on the cards for bringing more sales & fans; strike while the iron is hot.

But if what Doucet said was true, then that's unfortunate, in my opinion...

A good game with good reviews and/or sales deserves a great sequel, not only to be ignored for whatever years in which more/less SIEJA's policy the way I see it...

How many of those games sold well?
Probably not enough that only one of them barely got just 1 sequel.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That's important as well. There's so many times where there's a particular drought of a certain genre and the more that goes, the less expectations the audiences have for which they shift to other platforms which does have them like platforming. They aren't going to suddenly have a success of a genre because of one game, they keep making and building on them in the same way they did for games this generation. Sony's first party titles didn't become 10 million sellers instantly similarly like how Souls wasn't an initial success but the studios built their reputation and drastically improved.

Sony aren't going to see success in a genre if they don't take the same risks they did with the other current successful games and honestly, Sony's had it's own failing when it comes to curation because they didn't give enough opportunities with a big one being From Software.

This too. Two high budget looking JRPG from where I least expected it to come from. That's kind of terrible given Sony's been in the industry for far longer.
Sorry didn't see this comment. But exactly. Hope they turn Astro Bot into something big.
Another amazing thing about the growth of the Persona franchise is that this series is now more popular than the series it originally spinned off from for Atlus.
yup. And I am actually liking the spin offs. Cause of persona 5 I'm a huge Shoji Meguro fan and bought dancing in moonlight. It works.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Great multiplayer (!) Sony game 😊 If you haven't played it already... DO IT! Available on PS4 and PC btw.
The only "hints" we've had is through job listings. The main one being a listing that was looking for someone to model armor and weapons.
Not only job listings. Jason Schreier, too 😉

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think it would be good for Sony to invest in more games that aren't super expensive 10M+ sales monsters that take the entire generation to deliver.

Their output, in terms of games, has definitely decreased. We should expect more than just two massive games each year + MLB The Show. We need those smaller-scale titles in between.

A modestly budgeted JRPG could absolutely be a worthwhile endeavor. Even an RPG with the budget of a Tales or Xenoblade would pale in comparison to the massive budget of a game like TLOU2 or GoW.

The problem with only investing in massive too-big-to-fail "sure bets" is that eventually people do tire of those franchises, and then where are you? You need to be building up new audiences too.

This is a strawman. Sony studios are making new IPs. GG, Sucker Punch, Bend, Naughty Dog will be next gen. Santa Monica as well if Cory is getting his way. Not mention partner games like Death Stranding. It's not like Sony is pinned down with Gears, Halo, Forza. No where near it.

Nov 21, 2017
This is a strawman. Sony studios are making new IPs. GG, Sucker Punch, Bend, Naughty Dog will be next gen. Santa Monica as well if Cory is getting his way. Not mention partner games like Death Stranding. It's not like Sony is pinned down with Gears, Halo, Forza. No where near it.

Yup when it comes to big publishers SIE is one of the top publishers in the world in creating and green lighting new gaming IPs.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017

Great multiplayer (!) Sony game 😊 If you haven't played it already... DO IT! Available on PS4 and PC btw.

Not only job listings. Jason Schreier, too 😉

I had so much fun with Helldivers I do wish they work with Sony again.
Honestly, I think it would be good for Sony to invest in more games that aren't super expensive 10M+ sales monsters that take the entire generation to deliver.

Their output, in terms of games, has definitely decreased. We should expect more than just two massive games each year + MLB The Show. We need those smaller-scale titles in between.

A modestly budgeted JRPG could absolutely be a worthwhile endeavor. Even an RPG with the budget of a Tales or Xenoblade would pale in comparison to the massive budget of a game like TLOU2 or GoW.

The problem with only investing in massive too-big-to-fail "sure bets" is that eventually people do tire of those franchises, and then where are you? You need to be building up new audiences too.

A few things, One of the decisions to go higher budget because of decreasing viability of the mid range budget games releases. Shu said as much. The point about investing more into them is because the audience is wishing for it and buying these types of games. Sony's strategy would be to deliver much more big budget releases investing in current studios throughout the year beyond just two titles if the concern was the lack of titles. Sony is already capable of this at it's peak but require more consistency and improve the output throughout the generation. I'm guessing the focus this time around with Hermen in lead is to increase the speed of development output as he's said as much with GG . Most developers like Insomniac, ND, Sucker Punch or GG would have delivered two or more games within a generation, the ones which haven't like say SSM actually went through severe development issues. The concern about reliance of established franchises is really unfounded as well. There's nothing to say you can't have new I.P's or can't build new audiences with Big budget titles. As I mentioned earlier, these franchises didn't become huge 10 million sellers overnight but they built it over time increasing their reputation so there's obviously some new audiences playing these types of games if they're now shattering their own internal records. Furthermore There's only one major game this year and last year we know of that's established being TLOU 2. Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima are all new I.P's. I'd argue that all those smaller titles Sony's releasing via Japan Studio are barely even introducing new audiences in comparison to something like Horizon which likely brought more new users.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
After yesterday statement about Bloodborne 2 not being planned, do you think that Sony will work with FromSoftware again?

May be a new IP? Or Bloodborne 2 developed by JapanStudio?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100% with everyone arguing in favor of Sony making JRPGs. They really should.

This. Come on Sony, you need your own Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade or Tales of series.

I am by the way glad the OT got a title change, because the no JRPG thing was mocking me each time I saw it on the first page. ;)

When is this coming out? This is Granblue Relink right?

The picture you quoted is from Tales of Arise. That is supposed to come out this year. I hope that date still stands. Recently there's been a lot of delays... Granblue Fantasy Relink was assumed to be a 2020 game, but that looks highly unlikely after their December info and media blowout. They switched engines and redid much of the game. Everything they showed had been made in the last year and they are not confident enough to even state a vague release window.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

When did I say Sony studios weren't making new IPs?

You're attributing to me an argument that I was not ever making, which is (ironically) what a strawman is.

Oct 25, 2017
When did I say Sony studios weren't making new IPs?

You're attributing to me an argument that I was not ever making, which is (ironically) what a strawman is.

You said what are they going to do when even/if people get tired of those games. If that is not implying that they are not making new IPs what exactly did you mean by that? What will people get tired of?

Oct 25, 2017
This JRPG only been out less than 2 months on just one platform and already hit the 400,000 milestone.
Looking forward to play this.

I'll be honest, I want to get back into JRPGs, but the writing just continues to frustrate me. I tried Persona 5, and disliked a lot of the writing especially around certain characters. I tried Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, and felt like I was on a completely different wavelength then the main characters. The villains they expected me to like I was bored by, and the ones they expected me to sympathize with I hated. I feel like I'm either to familiar with the "anime" tropes JRPGs tend to use, but more often then not the stories just frustrate me. Combine that with some questionable character designs, especially for female characters, and it just feels like JRPGs aren't really for people like me anymore.

Maybe if some first party ones were made the quality would be a bit higher. I definitely wouldn't object to some being made, but I've lost a lot of faith in those style of games over the past two console generations.
I hear ya.

And yeah, maybe a Sony spin on it would work for you. I think they could bring a decent blend of their usual style with the JRPG template.

Housemarque dev count is currently 79.
Bless Housemarque.

That is still freaking tiny for an "AAA" project. Gotta be getting some outside support too.
Without a doubt.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You said what are they going to do when even/if people get tired of those games. If that is not implying that they are not making new IPs what exactly did you mean by that? What will people get tired of?

I wrote "The problem with only investing in massive too-big-to-fail "sure bets" is that eventually people do tire of those franchises," which is true. If you look at the context, I was arguing against Clive's idea that Sony should only make games that were guaranteed to sell huge numbers, not claiming that Sony does that.

I know that games like Concrete Genie exist. I never denied that they did.

I think we're actually largely in agreement, here? And you're perceiving some sort of slight against Sony in my posts that isn't there?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Housemarque dev count is currently 79.

d5glsa4-00d210ad-7851-41c6-bc22-2f931b8a7d95.jpg

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Not every game needs to sell 5 million copies. Sony has no problem to fund games like the ones I've mentioned above. I'm sure they can fund an AA JRPG every 3 years.

I'm Okay with the fact that all games doesn't need to be a 5M+ seller

But doesn't the interest of Sony making JRPG are for having AAA JRPG ?

We have a lot of "AA", but not so much AAA.

I want Sony to make JRPG, but when i say this, I'm thinking about a big, ambitious AAA JRPG.

if a mobile studio (i know super successfull) can pull of bid budget JRPG's then why not Sony :)

tumblr_p2xag92NyN1s05hv8o8_500.gifv

tumblr_pevu2tDqaY1s05hv8o8_500.gifv

Note they doesn't already releases.
Especially Project awekaning, wich actually, have no other public existence than thart in-engine prototype.

When is this coming out? This is Granblue Relink right?

No
It's Tales of Arise

www.youtube.com

Tales of Arise | TGS 2019 A Fateful Encounter | PS4

Her touch causes pain. He can’t feel pain. Alphen and Shionne’s intertwined fates will change the world. Watch the new trailer of Tales of Arise, just reveal...

All that we know so far it's that it will release this year.

A bit disapointed if the steelbook is this.

It didn't match with the visual we know :

300227_special_edition_packshot.jpg

So Okay : this is actually not the Special Edition steelbook, it will be a steelbook that will be offered as a pre-order bonus at certain resellers with the simple edition.
It started to pop on European websites.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wrote "The problem with only investing in massive too-big-to-fail "sure bets" is that eventually people do tire of those franchises," which is true. If you look at the context, I was arguing against Clive's idea that Sony should only make games that were guaranteed to sell huge numbers, not claiming that Sony does that.

I know that games like Concrete Genie exist. I never denied that they did.

I think we're actually largely in agreement, here? And you're perceiving some sort of slight against Sony in my posts that isn't there?

I'm not sure any more tbh, but based on what you just wrote we are in agreement. I didn't see any perceived slight. Just could not figure out how people would get tired of the strategy they are using right now as it is pretty diverse. I missed that you were saying that could be the outcome if took they direction Clive was suggesting. I had already voiced my disagreement with him about that. I should go to sleep.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
After yesterday statement about Bloodborne 2 not being planned, do you think that Sony will work with FromSoftware again?

May be a new IP? Or Bloodborne 2 developed by JapanStudio?
I think they might, but it's kinda has to be the new IP? I do believe they're in position where Sony needs From more than the opposite, so if Sony says "gimme BB2', From could also say "We want to create something new, so it's a collaboration on a new IP or we'll do it without you". To add on that, my gut tells me there's something in those Miyazaki's statements about not going too hot on the sequels and that Armored Core might actually be the only existing franchise they'll revisit in years to come, even if Elden Ring is a huge success and sequel would be expected. The dude just got ideas and wants to create new stuff. I honestly don't know about Bloodborne 2 developed by JapanStudio, like, wouldn't that be a great risk? I can see a world where BB2 announcement, followed by "oh yeah, FromSoftware not involved, but please be excited", would result in a mass of apeshit from the community, even if the game looks like best thing ever created.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I honestly don't know about Bloodborne 2 developed by JapanStudio, like, wouldn't that be a great risk? I can see a world where BB2 announcement, followed by "oh yeah, FromSoftware not involved, but please be excited", would result in a mass of apeshit from the community, even if the game looks like best thing ever created.

If Japan studio would develop BB2 without From Software, I am sure people would search for things to criticize like with no other game xD

From would make that, that and that much better...

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes please i take one of those, i wish they did a XCom game from one of their franchises. Im actually jealous of Gears Tactics, i wish Sony would do something like that.

Sony should allow smaler studios to use some of their ips in unusual genres. Nintendo did a great job with this and Cadence of Hyrule.

I would love for some smaler non-vr goodness.

Sony has many dormant ips that would rock in smaler experiences.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Lets just compromise: The Order 1887, the newest Sony JRPG. An enthralling adventure with Galahad-san.

It took 4 year to design a console.
So no, you can't redesign it for "3 or 4 Tf more" just because you got an unexpected 4 month delay...

It took more than 2 year to develop the PS4 Pro, and it's basically just "updated the same console"

You talk about redesign a console which is fibalised (at the time we are talking, ps5 spec are finished, it's finish) because of the delay, so it can't be considered like having a "just in case" scenario.

Mate, i was agreeing with you. ^^ But I see I have a typo there. There is NO WAY to add 3-4TF with just a few months.

Please no. I love them and love GR, but think they'd be a terrible match.

I think combat wise its a great match. GR has a good base but it sure was rough. Making kicks and gravity abilities more versatile and involved. There was no real flow in it.

I'm with you but for the combat only, it's the only part of the game I'm not a fan of, it's serviceable but compared to the rest it's a real shame.

Most frustrating part was targeting while hovering and then trying to hit with a flying kick.

Paper mario ,Tokyo mirage session, octopath,pokemon...I'm sad
Octopath is Square-Enix though.

Also guys, wait with judging Doucets direction until enough time has passed that his decisions have lead to games, lol.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Try to play some JRPGs, non-JRPG folk. Give Persona 5 a shot. You'll be surprised.
I wouldn't recommend Persona 5 to people here that don't like JRPGs.
That's a good entry point for Persona, but not a good entry point for the genre.
I think combat wise its a great match. GR has a good base but it sure was rough. Making kicks and gravity abilities more versatile and involved. There was no real flow in it.
Combat is not really the interesting point of GR, nor should it be.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
That is still freaking tiny for an "AAA" project. Gotta be getting some outside support too.

They can easily make something like Control with less cinematics and more gameplay.

Control core team was around 80 devs with around 100 devs during the final push. And the game was in development for around 3 years.

Housemarque are 80 devs now and their game is in development since 2018. They will expand further and may be the studio is getting some help from XDev Europe.

My crazy theory is that Housemarque is developing Marvel's Doctor Strange game :D :D :D

I think they might, but it's kinda has to be the new IP? I do believe they're in position where Sony needs From more than the opposite, so if Sony says "gimme BB2', From could also say "We want to create something new, so it's a collaboration on a new IP or we'll do it without you". To add on that, my gut tells me there's something in those Miyazaki's statements about not going too hot on the sequels and that Armored Core might actually be the only existing franchise they'll revisit in years to come, even if Elden Ring is a huge success and sequel would be expected. The dude just got ideas and wants to create new stuff. I honestly don't know about Bloodborne 2 developed by JapanStudio, like, wouldn't that be a great risk? I can see a world where BB2 announcement, followed by "oh yeah, FromSoftware not involved, but please be excited", would result in a mass of apeshit from the community, even if the game looks like best thing ever created.

You are right. It's still possible that Bloodborne 2 development is under strict NDA and even insiders can't talk about it. Or it's not Bloodborne 2... May be another game in the bloodborne universe with focus on co-op and GAAS (Monster Hunter type?).

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should allow smaler studios to use some of their ips in unusual genres. Nintendo did a great job with this and Cadence of Hyrule.

They kinda did and I thought they would go all-in with stuff like that when we saw projects like Amplitude and Shadow of the Beast, but it stopped there.

Really hope they rethink their approach to first-party smaller games in the PS5

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't recommend Persona 5 to people here that don't like JRPGs.
That's a good entry point for Persona, but not a good entry point for the genre.

Combat is not really the interesting point of GR, nor should it be.
Funny enough, it was my first Persona and one of the few JRPGs I have played.

It ended up being my 2017 GotY.

And yeah, I would say the highlight of GR is its traversal. It is one of the best around.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Agreed. Series like Twisted Metal or Wipeout or Wild Arms aren't ever going to be worth a protracted $100M+ development cycle, but there's no reason Sony has to spend that much money on them.

I think Microsoft is seeing the direction the industry is potentially going. A subscription-focused future might well be more about a having a constant stream of content than having a smaller number of massive six-years-in-the-making projects. Like, in a subscription world, you can't just have people subscribe to "PS Pass" for a month when TLOU3 hits and then have them all drop their subscription until the next giant game. That would be financially disastrous. You have to keep people subscribed.

If you look at basically all of the studios Microsoft has acquired on their recent spending spree, they're AA studios that will make AA games.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Funny enough, it was my first Persona and one of the few JRPGs I have played.

It ended up being my 2017 GotY.

And yeah, I would say the highlight of GR is its traversal. It is one of the best around.
To be fair, looking at your avatar (sorry if I'm misinterpreting), I guess you already liked anime in the first place?
I'm just saying that P5 isn't a good entry point in the genre because it's really anime (that and it's really long), hence limiting its appeal. Although a lot of JRPGs are anime, Persona is even more than most (teenager story, artstyle, themes, etc). That's why Final Fantasy was a lot more popular for example (and is a better entry point).

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Is it worth the DLC from Spiderman ? I bought them at launch but I sold my copy of Spiderman lol (im silly ikr) so im planning to get back Spiderman to play those DLC and get the platinum.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this topic is moving fast again! Almost 4 pages since I last posted ~14 hours ago.

I'm about 4-5 hours into Days Gone, and still loving it. I'm really beginning to enjoy the bike handling and I think the world design is excellent. I've upgraded my bike a bit and I'm now trying to earn some credits in the second camp so I can buy a better assault rifle.

Why put in the effort when other people do it best (Activison and Respawn) and you can absorb that audience without the effort by being market leader.
Sometimes the best thing is to do nothing (and focus your efforts in single player action adventure/narrative tales)

Because playing Uncharted: TLL recently I thought ND could do a really good job with FPS combat arenas and encounter design. I can really see them making a slick and fast FPS like Titanfall 2, hopefully with their typical production design and strong storytelling as well. And while I think they make the best third-person narrative games in the industry, continuing to focus their top-level efforts almost exclusively on that type of game would be a mistake in my opinion. They've found their groove which they thoroughly dominate, and now branching out from there would be a good decision.

lol..... Sony made multiple AAA FPS. Killzone 1 on PS2, Killzone 2 and 3 on PS3 Resistance 1, 2 and 3 on PS3, Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4, Killzone: Mercenary on PSVITA, etc. Then there are AA FPS games like Firewall Zero Hour and Farpoint on PSVR, etc.

Genres Sony did not put much effort into in the last ~10 years? JRPGs, RPG (not Action RPGs like Horizon Zero Dawn), Car Combat games (Twisted Metal), Survival Horror games, etc.
The last 1st party JRPG on consoles launched ~10 years ago.

Yeah, fair enough. I meant to say last gen, not overall. They've stopped trying to make FPSs on PS4 but I would like to see what their strengths as a publisher bring to the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.