• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. A team of 50 people working on it for even 2 years is $12 million, if we assume an average of $10k per month expenses for Sony per head. And I'm pretty sure Evolution was 100+ staff before launch.

Horizon not being in that list hurts my heart.

Also I tried Nioh 2.

Gave up and bought Horizon Ultimate Edition on my other account. Gonna platinum it (again).

It's #8 on his list!

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I didn't watch TLoU Part II gameplay videos, and it was so hard to do. But I did it because I wanted it to be as fresh as possible when I play the game.

Now, COVID - 19 is all over my country. I live in Iran and our government can't handle the situation. They don't give a fuck about us actually. And you may think I'm overreacting but there's a high possibility that I will be dead before TLoU comes out. And it sucks. I know, you may say I think about a game on the edge of getting infected and being dead? Well, I love this game with my soul. Can't do anything about that.

Long story short, I have a question for you. You think I should watch the gameplay while I still have the chance?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out if I've beaten horizon zero dawn and I can't seem to find the final trophy anywhere. What is the final trophy? I'm pretty sure I beat it and it kicked me back to "the looming shadow" but I'm unsure

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The Sunset Overdrive situation; from the beginning of development, to Insomniac own the IP, Microsoft publishing it, to the receptions/reviews, Ratchet & Spider-Man, Insomniac acquisition, that even PS4 don't have a port to this day...

w3hUyFC.gif
The reason it went to Xbox is because they allowed Insomniac to keep the rights to the IP unlike Sony… and now Sony owns that IP. It's also possible that the IP was damaged due to being on the less popular console where Insomniac Games also had fewer fans. I don't think it would have reached Spidey numbers on PS4 but maybe a bit better at least.

Perhaps they could also have done a bit of cross-promoting with the Ratchet & Clank universe via DLC? Iconic R&C weapons as pre-order bonuses, R&C costumes to dress up in and maybe even a DLC episode starring the dynamic duo. It's not like the game took itself seriously so a Lombax and a robot arriving through a time and space portal could have worked. Oh well.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out if I've beaten horizon zero dawn and I can't seem to find the final trophy anywhere. What is the final trophy? I'm pretty sure I beat it and it kicked me back to "the looming shadow" but I'm unsure

Seems to be called 'Ended the war machine threat', a gold with 34% attainment at the moment. Yes you are right that the game puts you back before the final mission if you continue playing after completion.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i thought i read somewhere that MS still has the publishing rights or whatever to the first sunset overdrive so a remaster or re release or whatever is out of the question

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
I didn't watch TLoU Part II gameplay videos, and it was so hard to do. But I did it because I wanted it to be as fresh as possible when I play the game.

Now, COVID - 19 is all over my country. I live in Iran and our government can't handle the situation. They don't give a fuck about us actually. And you may think I'm overreacting but there's a high possibility that I will be dead before TLoU comes out. And it sucks. I know, you may say I think about a game on the edge of getting infected and being dead? Well, I love this game with my soul. Can't do anything about that.

Long story short, I have a question for you. You think I should watch the gameplay while I still have the chance?

What is yout age ? Corona Virus kill mostly old and young people, its like a flu, but more agressive.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What is yout age ? Corona Virus kill mostly old and young people, its like a flu, but more agressive.
Nah brother. You don't know anything about my country I guess. It's literally a shitshow. Hospitals are full and reject patients. It's actually common to have Corona and be rejected by hospitals here. Because they don't have room. They don't even have proper medication service for people that are infected with the virus. I'm 23 but I'm probably gonna die in my house if I get the virus.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Nah brother. You don't know anything about my country I guess. It's literally a shitshow. Hospitals are full and reject patients. It's actually common to have Corona and be rejected by hospitals here. Because they don't have room. They don't even have proper medication service for people that are infected with the virus. I'm 23 but I'm probably gonna die in my house if I get the virus.

There is a small change of you dying because of the virus if you are actually healthy. But I am sorry about the situatiom in your country.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

China and the US have both said they'll aid Iran when it comes to the coronavirus. So, hopefully that'll help out with things there.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
i thought i read somewhere that MS still has the publishing rights or whatever to the first sunset overdrive so a remaster or re release or whatever is out of the question
We don't really know what the contract looks like. The publishing rights for Alan Wake, also published by Microsoft, for example reverted to Remedy in 2019 so that game could come to PS4 or PS5 if Remedy wants it to. Re-negotiating contracts is also possible. It's probably unlikely to come to PlayStation, especially PS4 but not unthinkable. Seems Phil and Ted have a good relationship too.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019
It's honestly baffling how Insomniac can be so effective. They released one full retail game on average per year between 2002-2014. After that, their output became more mixed as they experimented with smaller games on phones, Oculus and Magic Leap but their output has remained high. Even just looking at their PS4 games (Ratchet 2016, Song of the Deep and Spidey) 2015-2019 puts them on the same level many of Sony's studios create during an entire gen. On top of that they also made four fairly big Oculus games, four phone-style games and two Magic Leap games just during those four years.

Insomniac has potential to become one of Sony's most important studios going forward. For me personally, the most important together with Japan.
That is IF Sony allows them to do more VR games, doubt it though. The VR/AR teams haven't spoken out about what'll happen.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018

I do not know your situation - which does not sound good, nor am I an expert on this virus. But I'd really like to say that both these aspects, specifically the mainstream reporting on the latter can really impact mental health. I don't know if you have anyone you can talk to about this, but there are online counselling services which would cost less than a videogame which you MIGHT benefit from.

I have read that COVID-19 has been recorded with a multitude of symptoms, ranging from mild to fatal. A majority of cases present like a common cold. Those who are immunosupressed are more likely to develop the associated serious, critical or fatal respiratory issues, if you DO contract it, it most certainly does not mean certain death.

And if you can allow yourself to be positive about the prospects, it is not guaranteed you will contract the virus in the first place.

Please stay well and be sensible, cautious and safe!

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has potential to become one of Sony's most important studios going forward. For me personally, the most important together with Japan.
Absolutely.

Sony bought 1 studio but it is really like they bought 2 for 1 considering Insomniac's output.

That is IF Sony allows them to do more VR games, doubt it though. The VR/AR teams haven't spoken out about what'll happen.
I figure that was part of the reason they bought them in the first place. Insomniac can produce quality VR content for them.

that top of the page spicy post

663677694340366347.png
I peeped it too lol.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Gravity Rush did get a chance?

- it's a PSP game in concept
- original got ported to PS4 (better than sequel)
- Sequel critically well received

I'm not sure what else you would really do with the IP now, but I do agree gameplay focused games hopefully make an ever bigger return from Sony WWS. But it's not like GR was one and done.
It was a PS3 game in concept.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah, looks imo a bit fanboyish ;)

Remedy was very close with MS and is now multi, I am fine with that.
Would prefer Bluepoint or Housemarque purchases over Remedy.
I think they fit to Playstation WWS. They love single-player games and would be great to see collab between them and Sony.
But actually I think there are studios which fit better to Sony than Remedy.

Mar 26, 2019
If they don't it will be the most disappointing move ever from Sony.
I agree. I just personally don't see it happening, but I would love if it they were allowed to keep doing VR. A LOT of Sony's studios have scaled back heavily in terms of creative games or VR to focus on bigger titles (like Santa Monica Studio and San Diego Studio) so Insomniac Games might join them in that respect.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sooooon!
I agree. I just personally don't see it happening, but I would love if it they were allowed to keep doing VR. A LOT of Sony's studios have scaled back heavily in terms of creative games or VR to focus on bigger titles (like Santa Monica Studio and San Diego Studio) so Insomniac Games might join them in that respect.
lol....

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't think Ted Price would have agreed to the acquisition if Sony were just gonna shut down their VR development. He really values Insomniac being given as much creative independence as possible and as such didn't agree to an acquisition for a very long time, him agreeing to an acquisition with Sony shutting down their VR development would be a huge 180 on his part. I definitely think (and well, mainly hope) that during the acquisition talks he secured Insomniac's VR development.
And if Sony were to shut down Insomniac's VR development I see that as a huge sign that PSVR is going the way of the Vita. Shut down Guerrilla Cambridge, shut down Manchester Studio and shut down Insomniac's VR development? You can't do that while simultaneously saying you're taking VR seriously.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Ted Price would have agreed to the acquisition if Sony were just gonna shut down their VR development. He really values Insomniac being given as much creative independence as possible and as such didn't agree to an acquisition for a very long time, him agreeing to an acquisition with Sony shutting down their VR development would be a huge 180 on his part. I definitely think (and well, mainly hope) that during the acquisition talks he secured Insomniac's VR development.
And if Sony were to shut down Insomniac's VR development I see that as a huge sign that PSVR is going the way of the Vita. Shut down Guerrilla Cambridge, shut down Manchester Studio and shut down Insomniac's VR development? You can't do that while simultaneously saying you're taking VR seriously.
Does anything really suggest that Insomniac or Ted Price are passionate about VR or smaller projects in general? Could just be that Oculus was offering them good business opportunities.

On a surface level, Sony's commitment to VR really is baffling. It really looks like how they shut down handheld studios before they killed the Vita. Cambridge had also two moderate successes behind them, at least in terms of acclaim, in Killzone Merc and Rigs. Sony has to expect some loss leaders if they really are committed to VR. If it wasn't for London Studio still hiring then I would be convinced that they were pulling out of VR. Hopefully there is a lot in the works below the surface level though. We'll see soon.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

Doesnt sound right. They mention its was the primary budget, maybe its just the budget for one of the stretches of development

Its would be far more beliavable if this amount covered marketing budget or something like that.
I believe it. The game hardly launched with much content (for example, Bikes should've been there Day 1) and the marketing was virtually non-existant. That seems about right for a budget if you asked me. Low investment + DLC out the wazoo = large gains is how Sony likely saw it but then it fell on its head.

no way, this was a decent sized team. Not huge, but games made by medium-sized devs havent cost this little in a looooong time

game sold 2M copies in less than an year, if the budget was this low it would have be considered a massive success

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the many reasons why SIE bought Insomniac is their VR experience. Stormland is great. And we will get many more VR games from Sony next-gen. The reason why Cambridge and Manchester got closed had nothing to do with them working on VR games. Still hurts, becaues I loved Cambridge Studio. One of my favourite studios. Whoever is saying Sony is scaling back in VR development has no idea what he's talking about. The main reason why it's quiet right now? The same reason why Sony is quiet for almost 1 1/2 years already. PS5 is around the corner. 1st party studios are working on unannounced next gen games. PS5 and the next gen PS VR headset.

It's one of the main reasons why I want Sony to acquire Ready at Dawn (after Bluepoint Games). They have a talented AAA team and super talented VR devs. Lone Echo is one of the best VR games right now.

Driveclub only having a $6.5 million budget overall is complete and utter nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
One of the many reasons why SIE bought Insomniac is their VR experience. And we will get many more VR games from Sony next-gen. The reason why Cambridge and Manchester got closed had nothing to do with them working on VR games.

Feels like all of this is personal speculation, even if it seems likely. Has anything been said about Insomniac's future apart from implications that Spidey and Ratchet & Clank are parts of it?

Sony said there was a 10 year plan for the Vita and that even if third parties wouldn't make games for it, they would continue to support it.

www.digitaltrends.com

The Best PS Vita Games of All Time | Digital Trends

Looking for something for your PS Vita? Here are some perfect titles, including genres such as shooters, role-playing games, platformers, and action games.

All we have about the future of PS VR is similar PR talk. Hadn't Iron Man been delayed then there would be a grand total of zero first party PS VR games confirmed to be in development after 2019.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like all of this is personal speculation, even if it seems likely. Has anything been said about Insomniac's future apart from implications that Spidey and Ratchet & Clank are parts of it?

Sony said there was a 10 year plan for the Vita and that even if third parties wouldn't make games for it, they would continue to support it.

www.digitaltrends.com

The Best PS Vita Games of All Time | Digital Trends

Looking for something for your PS Vita? Here are some perfect titles, including genres such as shooters, role-playing games, platformers, and action games.

All we have about the future of PS VR is similar PR talk. Hadn't Iron Man been delayed then there would be a grand total of zero first party PS VR games confirmed to be in development after 2019.
We can already see with all the patents Sony lately filed that they are working on VR hardware and its features. You guys really need to stop comparing VR with super flops like the Vita or the WiiU.
There is no reason for Sony or Insomniac to talk about "Insomniac's future". We know they are working on Spider-Man and the rumored Ratchet & Clank . The next gen is around the corner. They will talk about their games when they are ready and the new platforms got announced. There is no reason to make a "uh... yeah, we are still working on VR. Duh." statement right now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
We can already see with all the patents Sony lately filed that they are working on VR hardware and its features. You guys really need to stop comparing VR with super flops like the Vita or the WiiU.
There is no reason for Sony or Insomniac to talk about "Insomniac's future". We know they are working on Spider-Man and the rumored Ratchet & Clank . The next gen is around the corner. They will talk about their games when they are ready and the new platforms got announced. There is no reason to make a "uh... yeah, we are still working on VR. Duh." statement right now.
While I don't doubt that PSVR 2 is coming, patents are not evidence that they would release the hardware.

a34fd84a.gif

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
But if Sony is committed to VR and wants Insomniac to work on it, why couldn't they when talking about the acquisition mention that it was partly for Insomniac's competence in the VR field? They specifically singled out the unannounced Spider-Man sequel and unannounced Ratchet & Clank games. There is no reason to keep commitment to VR a secret.

"We like what they've [Insomniac] been doing in the Spider-Man franchise, and things like Ratchet & Clank are certainly vital series in the present and future. That's what we're concentrating on" said Shawn Layden in an interview.

Yes, Sony is probably not talking about the future of PS VR because they are not ready to announce it but that's "probably". You present Insomniac making VR games in the future as a fact. Same with the reason for Sony shutting down half of the first party studios which have made VR games. If it's a personal theory then present it as such. That was my objection.

The PS VR headset is estimated to have sold about 1/3rd of what the Vita sold.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But if Sony is committed to VR and wants Insomniac to work on it, why couldn't they when talking about the acquisition mention that it was partly for Insomniac's competence in the VR field? They specifically singled out the unannounced Spider-Man sequel and unannounced Ratchet & Clank games. There is no reason to keep commitment to VR a secret.
Because Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank are the big / well known IPs, so it made sense for their PR piece.
"We like what they've [Insomniac] been doing in the Spider-Man franchise, and things like Ratchet & Clank are certainly vital series in the present and future. That's what we're concentrating on" said Shawn Layden in an interview.

Yes, Sony is probably not talking about the future of PS VR because they are not ready to announce it but that's probably. You present Insomniac making VR games in the future as a fact. Same with the reason for Sony shutting down half of the first party studios which have made VR games. If it's a personal theory then present it as such.
Sony closed those studios because they were struggling for years. Not because they made VR games. Sony didn't close Liverpool Studio, Evolution Studio or Bigbig Studio because they made VR games.
The PS VR headset is estimated to have sold about 1/3rd of what the Vita sold.
The PSVR is peripheral. A PS4 peripheral to be exact. You need a PS4 for it. The Vita was a standalone handheld and flopped compared to the PSP and 3DS.

Overall, some people need to chill with their "VR doomed" talk. Most of the time it's people who don't like VR. So they want Sony to stop the VR support so the money can go to "more standard games". I'm seeing those statements all the time. Especially on twitter. And it's hilarious. If you don't like it, don't support. But don't try to ruin it for the people who do like it.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Well, if TLOU2 and Dreams hadn't been delayed, we wouldn't have many announced PS4 1st party games either. That's the curse of a new console being revealed within the next few months.

The doom and gloom should wait until after PSM. If we don't get a new VR game by Team Asobi, Insomniac, London Studio and/or 3rd party collaborations, then we can be concerned.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The doom and gloom should wait until after PSM. If we don't get a new VR game by Team Asobi, Insomniac, London Studio and/or 3rd party collaborations, then we can be concerned.
The PSM, or whatever the PS5 reveal event will be, will be all about the PS5. I guess we won't get a lot of PSVR2 stuff there. The rumor says PSVR2 will launch 1 year (or maybe even 2) after the PS5. Which means PSVR2 games will get announced later. Maybe PSVR2 will get it's own event/SoP. Well, let's see. It's gonna be interesting. Time for Sony to finally announce the PS5 event :)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not know your situation - which does not sound good, nor am I an expert on this virus. But I'd really like to say that both these aspects, specifically the mainstream reporting on the latter can really impact mental health. I don't know if you have anyone you can talk to about this, but there are online counselling services which would cost less than a videogame which you MIGHT benefit from.

I have read that COVID-19 has been recorded with a multitude of symptoms, ranging from mild to fatal. A majority of cases present like a common cold. Those who are immunosupressed are more likely to develop the associated serious, critical or fatal respiratory issues, if you DO contract it, it most certainly does not mean certain death.

And if you can allow yourself to be positive about the prospects, it is not guaranteed you will contract the virus in the first place.

Please stay well and be sensible, cautious and safe!

Good advice.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I really don't get why people are fixated on PS VR exclusives needing to be a thing. Resident Evil 7 coming to PS VR is still to this day, one of the biggest things to happen to the platform.

I mean, you have people delusional enough to believe that Sony would allow a future Siren or Resistance reboot to be PS VR exclusive. The ideal would be to get as many AAA's to commit to pushing out a VR mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, let me rephrase it. I think it would be more productive to push for more SIE games that can be played by both the mainline PS console and the current iteration of the VR headset.
Sure, I'm all in for those kind of full VR modes where it works. GT7 being one strong possibility. But the majority of games that SIE WWS likes to make wouldn't work well with a VR mode. What works in VR might not be that good in traditional games. Astro Bot wouldn't be a very exciting game without VR for example. We are also gonna need games made specifically for VR.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Because Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank are the big / well known IPs, so it made sense for their PR piece.
It would have made perfect sense to put a tiny blurb about VR in the PR about the acquisition if VR was a big part of the plan. The PR is meant to communicate what the acquisition means for Sony.

Sony closed those studios because they were struggling for years. Not because they made VR games.
You do not know that Sony's future VR plans, or lack thereof, weren't part of the reason for the decision. That's all I said. I think it was a weird decision personally when Sony has so few studios dedicated to VR. You have to accept some loss leaders if you want your niche product to grow. Cambridge came off two acclaimed games.

And yes, it's entirely possible that Sony has built 13 VR studios and funded Falcom to make future JRPGs for VR. Doesn't make the 1 year wait between first party VR games right now shorter though. PS VR has a problem with appealing mainstream content right now.

The PSVR is peripheral. A PS4 peripheral to be exact. You need a PS4 for it. The Vita was a standalone handheld and flopped compared to the PSP and 3DS.
Doesn't really make a huge difference. 15 (or whatever the real number is) million people could play Vita games. 1/3rd of that number can play PS VR games. Should we compare it to a successful console peripheral, say the Kinect with 35 million instead? Then PS VR did worse compared to the Kinect than the Vita did compared to the PSP.

I have not suggested anything else and it is a fantastic point. But, just like we don't know that Sony aren't committed to VR, we shouldn't make absolute claims that they are.

I love VR. I wrote that Astro Bot was the fourth best new IP from Sony this gen a page ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, let me rephrase it. I think it would be more productive to push for more SIE games that can be played by both the mainline PS console and the current iteration of the VR headset.
That all falls apart when you look at a large portion of what wws makes. So that leaves

pixel opus(it won't be AAA tho)
Media molecule(and not really they'll be on dreams mostly and small titles)
Sony japan
Poly would never fully commit cuz they need their shiny car graphics
Insomniac def can do it
Sony London
that's it

the rest? Pfft

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would have made perfect sense to put a tiny blurb about VR in the PR about the acquisition if VR was a big part of the plan. The PR is meant to communicate what the acquisition means for Sony.

You do not know that Sony's future VR plans, or lack thereof, weren't part of the reason for the decision. That's all I said. I think it was a weird decision personally when Sony has so few studios dedicated to VR. You have to accept some loss leaders if you want your niche product to grow. Cambridge came off two acclaimed games.

And yes, it's entirely possible that Sony has built 13 VR studios and funded Falcom to make future JRPGs for VR. Doesn't make the 1 year wait between first party VR games right now shorter though. PS VR has a problem with appealing mainstream content right now.

Doesn't really make a huge difference. 15 (or whatever the real number is) million people could play Vita games. 1/3rd of that number can play PS VR games. Should we compare it to a successful console peripheral, say the Kinect with 35 million instead? Then PS VR did worse compared to the Kinect than the Vita did compared to the PSP.

I have not suggested anything else and it is a fantastic point. But, just like we don't know that Sony aren't committed to VR, we shouldn't make absolute claims that they are.

I love VR. I wrote that Astro Bot was the fourth best new IP from Sony this gen a page ago.
VR will maybe never be mainstream, where a headset will sell 50 million units. But it's an awesome feature that the PS consoles have and the competition doesn't. And Sony will support it in the future. They don't have to make a "but guys, VR too" statement every time they announce or acquire something. And Cambridge was struggling for years with flops (even tho the games were really good). Again: The next gen is around the corner. Sony is silent for almost 1 1/2 years. Is PS5 doomed or canceled, too? No. The constant "VR doomed" narrative some people are are trying to push is getting annoying.

Time for Sony to announce the PS5 event so all this nonsense can finally end.
It needs to be the right game and the dev has to want it in his/her game. VR mode for a game like TLOU or GOW doesn't make much sense. You don't need to force it onto the devs. Enough dev teams, studios and indies out there who would gladly make VR games. Good opportunity for Shu and Greg Rice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.