• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Dear Mr. Druckmann & Naughty Dogs:
Optional Cinematic/Performance framerates and
Challenge modes like Days Gone please.

Yeah man, with Factions getting the axe I'm hoping for something like that. Tbh I was more hyped for Factions than the game proper or literally any other videogame thing. That news hurt. This would help. People got pretty creative with TLoU trying to create "horde" modes from existing levels, trying to squeeze more (awesome) gameplay out of it. I remember playing the "push the truck" sequence with Bill and Ellie while just ignoring the truck to fight clickers over and over. lol

Oct 25, 2017
The Order is a dead IP. Ready at Dawn tho is super talented and can work on AAA games and VR games at the same time. Insomniac style. Perfect for SIE. Overall SIE needs at least two more studios imho. It's like Jim Ryan said: "Content is more important than ever before." So let's see what happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would rather have Bluepoint, Housemarque, Remedy and Kojima over RAD. Probably some others too.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The Order is a dead IP. Ready at Dawn tho is super talented and can work on AAA games and VR games at the same time. Insomniac style. Perfect for SIE. Overall SIE needs at least two more studios imho. It's like Jim Ryan said: "Content is more important than ever before." So let's see what happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yeah they are like another Insomniac

some people will of course attack me for saying that so maybe like a smaller Insomniac :P

regardless they are robust and would fit in nicely but idk some people think if you screw up once it warrants the justification for the "lol never bother with them" mentality

I remember back when people wanted Sony to shut down GG even though I and others stated how useful they are tech wise and that their KZ games sell and they have potential to become even better

of course also the no brainier is BluePoint too... toss in KojiPro to satisfy people who would take offense with my post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would rather have Bluepoint, Housemarque, Remedy and Kojima over RAD. Probably some others too.
Remedy is too expensive imo. I doubt Sony wants to spend another ~$250-300 million for one single studio. Kojima won't happen. Dude wants to stay indie after the Konami fiasco. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Ready at Dawn and Arrowhead are perfect tho :)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah they are like another Insomniac

some people will of course attack me for saying that so maybe like a smaller Insomniac :P

regardless they are robust and would fit in nicely but idk some people think if you screw up once it warrants the justification for the "lol never bother with them" mentality

I remember back when people wanted Sony to shut down GG even though I and others stated how useful they are tech wise and that their KZ games sell and they have potential to become even better

of course also the no brainier is BluePoint too... toss in KojiPro to satisfy people who would take offense with my post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yep. RAD and Bluepoint would be great. And then there is Housemarque and Arrowhead, too ^_^

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think both Bluepoint and Housemarque are safe bets if indeed is Sony the one who is backing their current projects.
idk man Sony could just make them make one title

never market it, doesn't sell as expected

ignore them.... and then someone else purchases them instead

lol we dodged a massive bullet with Insomniac being acquired, thank goodness for that

I can't see anyone who was confident about 2nd party support third party devs making first party games being so sure that such a strategy is even sound anymore in the long term for long term relationships (more then one game over a span of more then one generation)

of course I don't think Sony is going to do that and they are indeed aware of the changes going on for the industry but this is more so pointing out the other argument that time and time seems to fail

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
idk man Sony could just make them make one title

never market it, doesn't sell as expected

ignore them.... and then someone else purchases them instead

lol we dodged a massive bullet with Insomniac being acquired, thank goodness for that

I can't see anyone who was confident about 2nd party support third party devs making first party games being so sure that such a strategy is even sound anymore in the long term for long term relationships (more then one game over a span of more then one generation)

of course I don't think Sony is going to do that and they are indeed aware of the changes going on for the industry but this is more so pointing out the other argument that time and time seems to fail
The competition is stronger than ever. Google, Facebook, Amazon, MS etc. are acquiring studios. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Ready at Dawn and Arrowhead Studios should be some good acquisition targets for Sony. Asap!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The competition is stronger than ever. Google, Facebook, Amazon, MS etc. are acquiring studios. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Ready at Dawn and Arrowhead Studios should be some good acquisition targets for Sony. Asap!
yup and I believe Sony knows this

but what do I know I am not a business owner :P

oh and I also recently lost a bet lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Remedy is too expensive imo. I doubt Sony wants to spend another ~$250-300 million for one single studio. Kojima won't happen. Dude wants to stay indie after the Konami fiasco. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Ready at Dawn and Arrowhead are perfect tho :)

Kojima likes money. It's not like he is super wealthy. He will probably stay independent for a while, but he would honestly be foolish to not cash in eventually. He isn't a young man any more. Just the way business works. Ted Price finally cashed in and he probably has more money than the people he reports to now. For another example of valuing independence see Respawn...

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup and I believe Sony knows this

but what do I know I am not a business owner :P
Let's wait and see (and hope) :P
Kojima likes money. It's not like he is super wealthy. He will probably stay independent for a while, but he would honestly be foolish to not cash in eventually. He isn't a young man any more. Just the way business works. Ted Price finally cashed in and he probably has more money than the people he reports to now. For another example of valuing independence see Respawn...
Yeah, but those are different stories. In the end (as I've already said many times) KojiPro is all about Kojima. Insomniac wasn't all about Ted Price. Let Kojima do his indie thing. Again, I doubt he wants to get acquired. Dude loves to be free/indie right now.
(But if he wants to join Sony, hey, let's do it :P )

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you know, sometimes humans only do this simple thing called joking...
And sometimes jokes have some truth in them. If they released just one week later it would be in the E3 bubble. Amid the splurge of next gen reveals. They may even be competing with some of that as is. TLoU2 can stand amongst all that, but there's no question the timing of the original release would've been more ideal. And certainly the date they inevitably chose was basically the last possible opportunity to release before the next gen floodgates open. Any later and I'm sure Sony would be pretty unhappy. So, yeah... he's joking, kind of.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
And sometimes jokes have some truth in them. If they released just one week later it would be in the E3 bubble. Amid the splurge of next gen reveals. They may even be competing with some of that as is. TLoU2 can stand amongst all that, but there's no question the timing of the original release would've been more ideal. And certainly the date they inevitably chose was basically the last possible opportunity to release before the next gen floodgates open. Any later and I'm sure Sony would be pretty unhappy. So, yeah... he's joking, kind of.

They obviously don't want to have to delay it anymore.

But that not mean they absolutely can't if they really had a problem making them needed to or release the game broken.

It's not like if being in an E3 next-gen bubble was a problem for the 1st TLOU...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They obviously don't want to have to delay it anymore.

But that not mean they absolutely can't if they really had a problem making them needed to or release the game broken.

It's not like if being in an E3 next-gen bubble was a problem for the 1st TLOU...
Don't forget that back then sony had an E3 presence too

Oct 31, 2019
Why no one is talking about Ghost of Tsushima right now is beyond me. That game is on my most wanted list for years since the first reveal and had the same hype level of Death Stranding for me. Apart from a giant release window of Summer 2020 we are not given anything to go on apart from the last cinematic trailer and I'm beginning to wonder if this case will resemble TLoUII delay and push them into dangerous territory of releasing in a new console launch window.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why no one is talking about Ghost of Tsushima right now is beyond me. That game is on my most wanted list for years since the first reveal and had the same hype level of Death Stranding for me. Apart from a giant release window of Summer 2020 we are not given anything to go on apart from the last cinematic trailer and I'm beginning to wonder if this case will resemble TLoUII delay and push them into dangerous territory of releasing in a new console launch window.

Even if it happened it wouldn't be dangerous since the PS5 is BC. So, it's not like the PS4 where GT6 launched on the PS3 a little over a month after the PS4 launched and the only way to play it was to own a PS3.

Oct 1, 2019
There is definitely an acquisition wars going on. That's Microsoft, Google, and Facebook, massive companies gobbling-up studios. Embracer Group has also recently been acquiring lots of studios. Amazon, another giant company, could also enter the fray if they get serious with their gaming division. My prediction, Sony and Nintendo would not join in this trend any time soon, and I don't think that is the smartest move. Exclusive content is one of the most important if not the most important aspect why Sony is dominating the console gaming landscape right now. If they let recognized studios slip, they could lose a large portion of the market.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
They just spent $195mm for a production house for Sony Pictures Animation. I'm sure that $300mm would not scare them for SIE, especially of Remedy's pedigree and IP.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I have some thoughts about GoT but I fear they're a bit out in the weeds. It being a summer release kind of puts it in a weird spot. By the time GoT releases people will have seen next gen games. There might be a sentiment (I suspect it will be mine) that idk maybe I'd rather play this on PS5. I think GoT might be a vehicle to demonstrate / advertise their enhanced BC (if they have it) by showing shorter loadtimes or whatever. Idk what it would be. But I'll likely play GoT on PS5. I might even wait to play Cyberpunk on PS5, but that's another topic.

Nov 21, 2017
No reason for Sony to acquire Kojima Productions when no matter what the studio will be tied to Sony by default as a console exclusive developer. Sony owns the Death Stranding IP and most of all the Decima engine. Heck Kojima is also really big on music and Sony's music Division(biggest in the world) played a vital role with Death Stranding's soundtrack. Not to mention Hermen Hulst one of Kojima's best friends is in charge of SIE Worldwide studios now. Why would Kojima not want to just simply continue his current partnership with SIE. He gets all the benefits of being like a Worldwide Studio while remaining independent.

When Sony does decide to acquire more studios it makes more sense to acquire teams like Bluepoint, Housemarque, or Arrowhead Studios just to name a few.

Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely an acquisition wars going on. That's Microsoft, Google, and Facebook, massive companies gobbling-up studios. Embracer Group has also recently been acquiring lots of studios. Amazon, another giant company, could also enter the fray if they get serious with their gaming division. My prediction, Sony and Nintendo would not join in this trend any time soon, and I don't think that is the smartest move. Exclusive content is one of the most important if not the most important aspect why Sony is dominating the console gaming landscape right now. If they let recognized studios slip, they could lose a large portion of the market.

I think you are wrong. Sony already has a group of studios they are looking at closely and they are the ones we routinely discuss on here. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arrowhead, Kojima, Remedy. Outside of Remedy I would be shocked if any of those was acquired and it wasn't Sony.

Studios like Sanzaru and RAD haven't worked with Sony in years so then being snapped up by someone else is no surprise. Your boy Sly has been dead. Sorry.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu cross-review score for Dreams:

2nbfPX1.png
9/10/8/9 [36/40]
ryokutya2089.com

新作ゲームソフトレビュー | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

スーパーテニスブラスト 7888 ドリームユニバース 91089 ボルテックスアタックEX 7777 ドラえもん のび太の新恐竜 7777 どんなゲームなのかさっぱりわからないドリームユニバースが高得点。 ゲームというよりクリエイトツールという印象。 覚えることが多すぎツールとして使いこなすまでの手間は大変とのこと。 それでも高得点なのは何でも作れる、チュートリアルが丁寧、"遊ぶ専門"でもOKと 他のクリエイトゲームと比較して群を抜いた出来だからのようです。 何でも作れる、よりちょっと不便なくらいの制限があるクリエイトゲームのほうが気楽に創れて好きなんだけどなぁ。...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Famitsu cross-review score for Dreams:

2nbfPX1.png
9/10/8/9 [36/40]
ryokutya2089.com

新作ゲームソフトレビュー | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

スーパーテニスブラスト 7888 ドリームユニバース 91089 ボルテックスアタックEX 7777 ドラえもん のび太の新恐竜 7777 どんなゲームなのかさっぱりわからないドリームユニバースが高得点。 ゲームというよりクリエイトツールという印象。 覚えることが多すぎツールとして使いこなすまでの手間は大変とのこと。 それでも高得点なのは何でも作れる、チュートリアルが丁寧、"遊ぶ専門"でもOKと 他のクリエイトゲームと比較して群を抜いた出来だからのようです。 何でも作れる、よりちょっと不便なくらいの制限があるクリエイトゲームのほうが気楽に創れて好きなんだけどなぁ。...
Good score.

Basically a 9 from them.

Oct 1, 2019
I think you are wrong. Sony already has a group of studios they are looking at closely and they are the ones we routinely discuss on here. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arrowhead, Kojima, Remedy. Outside of Remedy I would be shocked if any of those was acquired and it wasn't Sony.

Studios like Sanzaru and RAD haven't worked with Sony in years so then being snapped up by someone else is no surprise. Your boy Sly has been dead. Sorry.
From what I've been seeing, Jim Ryan suddenly pivoting from being very interested in acquiring studios to being very careful with acquisitions, Shuhei Yoshida only interested at studios with a working history alongside Sony, PlayStation mending its relationship with indie studios, recently closing down a studio, I just think they'll focus more on expanding the studios that they have and contracting indie and large developers to beef-up their exclusive output next gen. I would love to be wrong of course. If Sony acquired all those studios that you have listed, they'll be nigh unbeatable next gen.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Which means they would be a perfect studio for Sony. Like I said many times. Sony needs at least 2 more studios. And they better be quick. Facebook (Oculus), Google, Microsoft etc. are looking for more acquisitions.
Bluepoint is awesome and should be next. Then there is Ready at Dawn. They are developing an AAA game right now and they made some of the best VR games on the market right. Two perfect acquisitions for SIE imho. Other than those two: Housemarque and Arrowhead Game Studios.
I doubt Sony will go after Remedy. Looks like they won't go after another ~$250 million studio (imo).
True. RaD is perfect pick for Sony. They are 2-in-1, like Insomniac Games, and they work with Sony in the past.
Next Bluepoint and Housemarque. They make very good games and they work with Sony.
Maybe Arrowhead Game Studios - Helldivers was very good. Maybe First Conctact Entertainment - Firewall Zero Hour is very good VR game.

Like you said: they shoud be quick because Competition not sleep.

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've been seeing, Jim Ryan suddenly pivoting from being very interested in acquiring studios to being very careful with acquisitions, Shuhei Yoshida only interested at studios with a working history alongside Sony, PlayStation mending its relationship with indie studios, recently closing down a studio, I just think they'll focus more on expanding the studios that they have and contracting indie and large developers to beef-up their exclusive output next gen. I would love to be wrong of course. If Sony acquired all those studios that you have listed, they'll be nigh unbeatable next gen.

Just contracting with indie studios won't be viable the way they are getting scooped up. The type of devs Shu is working with definitely will not fit the AAA model they want to focus on publishing. I don't think they will just sit back a watch a dev they have strong working relationship with get bought by someone else. No studio bought so far was one that was actively making games for Sony. When/if that happens then I'll reevaluate my stance.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sony should go for a big acquisiton, or don't bother.
I say Cygames.
UnknownDisgustingBison-size_restricted.gif

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
how Many billions did they spend on EMI acquisition? C'mon Sony, give PlayStation some money to play with.

Oct 1, 2019
Just contracting with indie studios won't be viable the way they are getting scooped up. The type of devs Shu is working with definitely will not fit the AAA model they want to focus on publishing. I don't think they will just sit back a watch a dev they have strong working relationship with get bought by someone else. No studio bought so far was one that was actively making games for Sony. When/if that happens then I'll reevaluate my stance.
So far, you are still correct. I guess we will see in the future, but I do hope you'll be right.
Sony should go for a big acquisiton, or don't bother.
I say Cygames.
UnknownDisgustingBison-size_restricted.gif
I agree that they should go big with their acquisition/s but I don't think Cygames is on the "big" category...
how Many billions did they spend on EMI acquisition? C'mon Sony, give PlayStation some money to play with.
Exactly!

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
When thinking about acquisition, I hope they could buy an JRPG Studio (level-5 if... they are ready to be bought) or some platforming/arcade focus games. Nowadays we got a lot of games with hybrid visual graphics with so much darkest story-telling surround.

Yesterday, I watched Ni No Kuni and Dragon Quest Your Story (both are not that good story-telling to be honest) and I imagined if Sony acquisition Level-5 and put a lot of budgets + hiring new talents for that studio. Who knows? Maybe we will get a very interested JRPG or Action RPG with beautiful lores and a wonder-fantasy world building with light-heart stories combination with an amazing casts to tell.

I know we are living in the generation with love hybrid graphics and somehow modern apocolypse openworld type of games based on reality. But I do missed some imagination worlds from Final Fantasy 9 or Ni No Kuni (1) with very careful well-crafted stories. Oh and amazing soundtrack in the main menu as well.

I don't know maybe just me want Sony can build a studio with Japanese vibe cultures that can produce some quality of Dragon Quest XI or any type of Japanese games feel in there. It would make a whole packages of PlayStation games much more variety rather than some similar feeling when looking at the games we have now.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I don't think they will just sit back a watch a dev they have strong working relationship with get bought by someone else. No studio bought so far was one that was actively making games for Sony. When/if that happens then I'll reevaluate my stance.

Yeah, nothing dramatic happened so far. There was a rumor a long time ago that MS will acquire a studio which worked with Sony and in the end it was Double Fine. Never heard of them before the purchase...

I am still sure that especially Bluepoint is very Sony focused and they would never go to another publisher imo.
Not sure with Housemarque, I believe they would prefer Sony as publisher but maybe Sony has no interest.
R@D is now a developer which is way more close to Facebook after the past years but who knows...

Oct 27, 2017

I would love to talk about it more as it's my most anticipated game for this year, but without any new footage or info there's not much to say. Even if it's not fully ready yet I would love to see some kind of map run-through (without enemies) or even just an overview of the combat, map or UI; stuff like that.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I could use with a b-roll that goes in detail with what you do in the open world, how dynamic the gameplay can be and how inventory would be handled.

As it stands though, it doesnt really bother me much because it seems to be coming out after TLoU2 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.