• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 15, 2019
i am guessing there'll be nothing worthwhile at this event that interests me. Hopefully death stranding gets a new gameplay trailer soon.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This one is Undying:

Iguzfav.jpg

Not my find this time - credits to Gematsu user Jin Chan Yum Wai.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will they have a Nine Trials console reveal? Because that would be the tits.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure about this one as both the character and symbol are a bit off, but I think this is God Slayer:

qosk0Il.jpg

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
More:

2nd one in the last set is Shenmue III. Was originally thinking these were Chinese games only at first, which is why I didn't guess Concrete Genie for the very first one, but the first one may very well be that.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Outside of the China Hero Project games (some of which aren't even exclusive so wtf), I don't see the point of this conference. I don't see the point of promoting many of these indie games, most of which are on PC already. They're not coming to PS4 first, they're not exclusive, and they don't look like they need an expensive PC to run... Why buy a PS4 or these games on a PS4 if they're already available for your toaster?

The Chinese gaming market is huge but it's entirely on PC. If Sony wants a sliver of that massive pie, they're gonna need to bank role an exciting Chinese PS4 exclusive AAA or even just AA game. Something like a wuxia witcher 3 adapted from some popular martial arts novel might get some peeps to jump.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the China Hero Project games (some of which aren't even exclusive so wtf), I don't see the point of this conference. I don't see the point of promoting many of these indie games, most of which are on PC already. They're not coming to PS4 first, they're not exclusive, and they don't look like they need an expensive PC to run... Why buy a PS4 or these games on a PS4 if they're already available for your toaster?

The Chinese gaming market is huge but it's entirely on PC. If Sony wants a sliver of that massive pie, they're gonna need to bank role an exciting Chinese PS4 exclusive AAA or even just AA game. Something like a wuxia witcher 3 adapted from some popular martial arts novel might get some peeps to jump.
Only promote them big cinematic exclusives amirite

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
What's the point of "X" when "reasonable reasons to not bother investing in X due to low ROI" could've been applied to Middle East, parts of East Asia, etc etc - which are historically ignored markets for localisation/official platform support/etc for reasons that there wasn't even a market worth investing the infrastructure and marketing there for.

If you don't do anything - you will get nothing. At the same time, China is such a volatile and competitive landscape that investing in a domestically-focused first-party game without any real strategic intent outside of "we want to gain the Chinese market" would be folly.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Is there a reason consoles have not taken off in China?

Is it the government? Price? Games? Lack of piracy?

All of the above, and more.

Government regulation restricts and limits the sheer quantity of games that can be made available in the Chinese market legally. It's not a big hurdle to being able to buy unapproved games there ( it's openly available for sale via imports/etc ), but it's still a hurdle.

The biggest markets in Chinese market are PC and mobile. In other words, the market is dominated by F2P games. For all intents and purpose, the market there is way ahead of the curve and has already been accustomed to zero-entry-fee gaming ( kinda ).

A large amount of the popular games in China's PC/mobile markets are not available on console.,.. yet. Crossfire, Honor of Kings, Speed QQ, etc. Long and short of it, while there are overlaps like PUBG, etc - there are also plenty that we have no brand recognition of at all.

Honestly, the market there grew up and build a scene out of the PC cybercafe culture - and the most popular products there are built and grown from that culture of youngsters going to internet cafe to spend a few bucks playing PC games for a few hours at a time. Thus why MMORPGs, online games, etc are dominant there.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The games from the past Chinajoy (Kill X, The Walker, Proj Boundary, Gene Rain etc) ended up as failures so they might have changed course this year.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Only promote them big cinematic exclusives amirite
You're trolling but I'll respond anyway because I'm interested in this discussion. A console needs system sellers. Doesn't have to be big cinematic games, but they do need to stand out and can't be played elsewhere. Indie games serve to compliment the big releases. How many people anywhere buy a system for agnostic toaster ready indie games?

You have no idea how entrenched the PC market is in China. Why would anyone buy a PS4 over there? For what? God of War? Uncharted? They don't give a shit about that stuff. Kids over there these days are really into China's own culture/history and fantasies based around that. Look at their games and their media. Sony should invest in a big Chinese studio. Their strategy isn't cutting it.

The games from the past Chinajoy (Kill X, The Walker, Proj Boundary, Gene Rain etc) ended up as failures so they might have changed course this year.
Yes, they have been disappointing so far but that's why Sony should set up their own studio over there and get existing teams from their dev houses to foster and help out on games.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
You have no idea how entrenched the PC market is in China. Why would anyone buy a PS4 over there? For what? God of War? Uncharted? They don't give a shit about that stuff. Kids over there these days are really into China's own culture/history and fantasies based around that. Look at their games and their media. Sony should invest in a big Chinese studio. Their strategy isn't cutting it.

Some of the most popular games in China are culture-agnostic and doesn't tap into the Chinese fantasy culture at all. PUBG, QQ Speed, Mini World, Knives Out, etc.

Like, I won't deny that Sony could do more in the Chinese market - but the strategy for the Chinese market... is the F2P strategy. It's not funding a AAA version of Legend of Condor Heroes or Battle Through the Heavens. That will work, but short-term/once off strategies that has no global ambition is a wrong move as well.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Came in here to say I really hope we get some stuff on Lost Soul Aside. Was one person, but got some funding and is currently working with a small team iirc.

Sadly he came out recently and said that he's taking his time with the game and that it might take years to release.

I'm REALLY looking forward to that game

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Some of the most popular games in China are culture-agnostic and doesn't tap into the Chinese fantasy culture at all. PUBG, QQ Speed, Mini World, Knives Out, etc.

Like, I won't deny that Sony could do more in the Chinese market - but the strategy for the Chinese market... is the F2P strategy. It's not funding a AAA version of Legend of Condor Heroes or Battle Through the Heavens. That will work, but short-term/once off strategies that has no global ambition is a wrong move as well.
You're right, some of the big games are culture agnostic, but just as many of them are not. Now more than ever, China are creating much of their own content.

F2P is big right now, but somehow I don't know if Sony should try to slot itself into that highly competitive space. What could Sony do there that so many devs aren't already doing? Following the already popular trends doesn't guarantee any kind of breakout success. They need to offer something they're good at, and something impressive no one else is doing. Show some games that gamers over there didn't know they wanted until they see them.

Who knows, maybe we're both wrong and the answer is something else entirely, something we haven't even thought of.