• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR2 should be able to use some form of spacewarp along with ETFR, right? It wouldn't be perfect for every game, but combining the two could make for some incredibly impressive titles.
Uhmm, ok I'm stumped, what's ETFR is acronym for? 🤔
Spacewarp style transform is doable - I'm not sure if I entirely want that in VR as standard though. Even Oculus has somewhat distanced themselves from it after introduction on the Rift. The Application aware SW is better, but still - you get occlusion/temporal artifacts from that I'm just not a fan of in VR 🤷

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I thought you meant with motion tracking, but if we're just talking about using the buttons and sticks it might be possible. But I still think it's unlikely that Sony will allow connection in non-VR mode.

No expectations for motion beyond regular gyro's that are in the dualsense

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Uhmm, ok I'm stumped, what's ETFR is acronym for? 🤔
Spacewarp style transform is doable - I'm not sure if I entirely want that in VR as standard though. Even Oculus has somewhat distanced themselves from it after introduction on the Rift. The Application aware SW is better, but still - you get occlusion/temporal artifacts from that I'm just not a fan of in VR 🤷

Lol, sorry, I just didn't want to type out eye-tracked foveated rendering (as opposed to foveated rendering without eye-tracking). Fair enough on not being a fan of artifacts, though. I would love to have it as an option on some games at least. Imagine some VR games having fidelity and performance mode options similar to a lot of PS5 games, except in this case you could choose "native 120fps" or "spacewarp 120fps with better visuals".

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Definitely will jump in on this. The PS5 is more than capable with VR and having actual controllers for it that don't fucking blow fucking ass will make the experience and games so much better.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
No built-in headphones is the biggest disappointment I would say. Really hope someone releases clip-ons close to launch as I detest earbuds or having to put on separate headphones.

Oct 27, 2017
A good VR headset might give me a reason to get a PS5. As it stands, I'm pretty happy with my Index + PC but if PSVR2 has some nice exclusives or RE8 in VR, that would easily get me in a buying mood.

The specs seem nice, my only disappointment is the audio. Seems like its basically the same as PSVR with just the earbuds or being able to just use your own headset? Never cared for that too much with the PSVR and the Index's headphones are low key one of the best things about that headset. The Index's headphones are great and I love how they sound great but also make it convenient to still stay somewhat alert as to what's going on around you without having to jam earbuds in your ears. That's one thing that's a double edged sword with VR- its neat to get lost in VR but at the same time its a bit obnoxious to be completely cut off from your real world surroundings.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
3 million, I'm going to just take a wild guess and assume that's about how many units we can expect some AAA VR games to sell on PSVR2.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Might cancel my steam deck preorder if 2022 is bringing this and Cambria (which I will want if that is likely to be a superset of quest 3 features)

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
We already knew about everything except maybe eye tracking.

The only nuclear megaton would be a wireless option. 🤞

If eye-tracking is used for foveated rendering, I think that's big news.
Has the potential to reduce the horsepower hunger of each frame tremendously, so 120FPS and high-end visuals shouldn't be mutually exclusive anymore.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
A good VR headset might give me a reason to get a PS5. As it stands, I'm pretty happy with my Index + PC but if PSVR2 has some nice exclusives or RE8 in VR, that would easily get me in a buying mood.

The specs seem nice, my only disappointment is the audio. Seems like its basically the same as PSVR with just the earbuds or being able to just use your own headset? Never cared for that too much with the PSVR and the Index's headphones are low key one of the best things about that headset. The Index's headphones are great and I love how they sound great but also make it convenient to still stay somewhat alert as to what's going on around you without having to jam earbuds in your ears. That's one thing that's a double edged sword with VR- its neat to get lost in VR but at the same time its a bit obnoxious to be completely cut off from your real world surroundings.
You know there is a sound tuning feature in PSVR right? I am sure they will use it again in PSVR2.

If not aware of what it is, you can set the microphone to pick up surrounding sounds (and set it to whatever level you deem appropriate so it's as little or as much intrusive as you want). So for example you can set it so you can have conversations with people next to you without anybody screaming or having it as sound proof as your headset/earplug can be for full immer

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Quest is

Now you're talking. Dropping a charging brute just inches away from you and with your last shotgun shell felt so good it almost seemed scripted.

Best gunplay and sense of immersion in another world I have probably ever felt in VR actually.

Those Ice covered DLC levels was visually stunning too. Now imagine that with ps5 power and HDR in crystal clear 4K 😤

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Not very surprising if it happens but maybe this is an indication towards a PS5/PSVR2 native version for Walking Dead Saints & Sinners?
(dev tweeting PSVR2 news)

And consider that a reminder that you should claim the PSVR1 version from PS+ for free now before it disappears...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I'm really not seeing the issue with banging on some wireless headphones. The 3d pulse ones have a monitor option so you can hear the room if you prefer.

I prefer that to any built-in options.

Oct 27, 2017
You know there is a sound tuning feature in PSVR right? I am sure they will use it again in PSVR2.

If not aware of what it is, you can set the microphone to pick up surrounding sounds (and set it to whatever level you deem appropriate so it's as little or as much intrusive as you want). So for example you can set it so you can have conversations with people next to you without anybody screaming or having it as sound proof as your headset/earplug can be for full immer
Yeah, and that helps. I just haven't touched my PSVR in quite a while.

My bigger point was that the built in headphones on the Index was just such a surprisingly great feature that I'm a little bummed the PSVR2 doesn't seem to be going that same route. Just kind of nice having everything all built into the headset without having earbuds or headphones clamped over your ears. Of all the neat features of the Index, I think the headphones are kind of low key one of my favorite things- the sound quality is nice, they don't clamp down on your head and keep that kind of open headphone feel and they're built in so you don't have to mess with separate earbuds or headphones.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I must admit I am impressed with the specs. Just need comfort and we're golden. The lack of wireless hurts but eh. Can't be perfect and a decent price.

Will be my first time experiencing foveated rendering which is cool. Very interested in that tech. This will complement my quest 2 nicely.

Oct 28, 2017
I would advice everyone to wait on oculus quest 3.
Or buy a quest 2 for now.
I already have a Quest 2 and I hate the fact I listened to people like you before I did so. If I'd ignored it I could have saved myself a hell of a lot of money and a hell of a lot of literal pain. Sony earned my trust with PSVR. Facebook gave all their future headsets a massive do not buy before you try label.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not seeing the issue with banging on some wireless headphones. The 3d pulse ones have a monitor option so you can hear the room if you prefer.

I prefer that to any built-in options.
I mentioned before but built in options are a surprisingly nice feature. Not necessarily a deal breaker but just makes it easier to jump in. The off ear headphones of the Index in particular go a long way towards comfort also. Over the ear headphones eventually give me a headache and ear fatigue from long sessions and earbuds literally hurt when wearing them for the same amount of time. Also makes it a pain to pass the headset around when playing stuff like Beat Saber at a party (though that's not happening again any time soon lol). If someone can come out with some attachable headphones for it though like they have with PSVR1, then problem solved though.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
It's been a while since I dabbled with VR development but is it even possible to do foveated rendering wirelessly? Not that it wouldn't work obviously just wondering if having a cable cuts down on response time. Not a side of it I ever worked with as we didn't have the option at the time.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned before but built in options are a surprisingly nice feature. Not necessarily a deal breaker but just makes it easier to jump in. The off ear headphones of the Index in particular go a long way towards comfort also. Over the ear headphones eventually give me a headache and ear fatigue from long sessions and earbuds literally hurt when wearing them for the same amount of time. Also makes it a pain to pass the headset around when playing stuff like Beat Saber at a party (though that's not happening again any time soon lol). If someone can come out with some attachable headphones for it though like they have with PSVR1, then problem solved though.

I think people have quite strong headphone preferences though . Anyway, I'm sure you'll get your attachment anyway so the point is moot

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Not very surprising if it happens but maybe this is an indication towards a PS5/PSVR2 native version for Walking Dead Saints & Sinners?
(dev tweeting PSVR2 news)

And consider that a reminder that you should claim the PSVR1 version from PS+ for free now before it disappears...

I think it already disappeared. It switched over yesterday I believe.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I agree, I let my mom, 84 years old, try Brink on my Quest 2 and I did not have to deal with headphones, sound was just working, the ease of use with integrated sound is easily ignored if you have not experienced it yourself. The Index speakers are great, and as mentioned one of the best features of the headset, cannot be overstated. It's hard to get if you never tried it yourself.
Not having built in sound is no deal breaker, but it would have been nice. At least you can surely use wireless headphones this time around, which will be a big step up, but even a rather low quality solution like the Quest 2 has would have been nice, no doubt about it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I let my mom, 84 years old, try Brink on my Quest 2 and I did not have to deal with headphones, sound was just working, the ease of use with integrated sound is easily ignored if you have not experienced it yourself. The Index speakers are great, and as mentioned one of the best features of the headset, cannot be overstated. It's hard to get if you never tried it yourself.
Not having built in sound is no deal breaker, but it would have been nice. At least you can surely use wireless headphones this time around, which will be a big step up, but even a rather low quality solution like the Quest 2 has would have been nice, no doubt about it.
This but I wouldn't even consider quest2's sound quality to be "low". I actually really like them and the fact that you can't really tell where tf they are coming from. They are so small and it is freaky how the sound just goes right into your ear and does positional "3D" audio. You can also "feel" the wind sometimes from blasts coming through the speakers and it sometimes freaks me out because it tickles you kinda.

Oh well, not a huge deal, but like you guys, separate headphones hurt my big ears too :'c

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is for sure gonna be my first real dip into VR

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried VR yet & I have a question about foveated rendering as it seems like a cool technology.

I know there's VR streamers and games where people can watch along on a tv when they're in the same room. Are those not wearing the headset seeing only parts of the image being fully rendered when using that technique?

Will the device (a system or a PC) render a separate 2D non-VR image that's of an acceptable HD quality, or is that too taxing?

fvr.png

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Wandering around the living room with an VR headset isn't a great idea, but an entertaining one.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Foveated rendering is huge. Combined with eye tracking that will allow graphical performance to take a huge leap forward from the original PSVR as only 100% of the pixels have to be rendered fully where the user is looking and not the full screen itself.
It will definitely help. Some games on PS VR1 already do it in a limited way (usually just 1 or 2 fixed gradients), but without eye tracking it is fixed at the centre of view, which means that they can't use it as aggressively because if you move your eyes you can start to see the lower resolution rendering around the edges.