• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Started RE7. Shooting kinda sucks. Should I change the reticle color? It's hard to tell when the reticle is actually on the enemy.

So far the immersion is there but at the same time VR seems to hinder the more gameplay heavy parts. Cutscenes look bad aswell, being a 2D video.

I'll probably switch back and forth between normal and VR.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Started RE7. Shooting kinda sucks. Should I change the reticle color? It's hard to tell when the reticle is actually on the enemy.

So far the immersion is there but at the same time VR seems to hinder the more gameplay heavy parts. Cutscenes look bad aswell, being a 2D video.

I'll probably switch back and forth between normal and VR.

Aiming in VR was actually way easier for me. I was pulling off headshots like nothing in transition animations, while the enemies were moving like it was nothing. On the TV, I found that difficult. I don't remember how I set up the reticule though.

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth playing to the end as the last stage is quite interesting (and not full of spiders).

I finish it last night, the last stage was pretty good, if we forget that infuriating last shooting section on insane difficulty. These stage were way less scary then Stage 5, i'm still not sure if i'll one day retry it again.

Got Drive Club VR yesterday, the game is so much fun, but why everything in the car is so blurry.... i mean i can't even read my speed 3/4 of the time on most car...... everything else is pretty nice. Love the drifting challenge, took me a couple of try ! I really need to try a steering wheel for that !

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Has anyone noticed any issues during normal PS4 use when running HDMI through the VR breakout box? I haven't noticed anything major myself (and I have the latest revision), but I have noticed some audio quirks on the dashboard, probably related to my receiver getting confused.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown – Behind the Scenes in VR

It mentions that there is a VR exclusive Air Show Mode where you can stand on the deck of an aircraft carrier and watch aircraft fly past in formation.

Last edited:

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I recently bought my vr set a couple weeks back. Had a lot of time to put some time into games, some have really surprised me but I am experiencing A LOT of frustration with one game. That game being Firewall. Out of all the games I own it is probably the most intriguing one to me since I loved R6:Siege, the thought of having a game come close to that but in VR really got me interested.

My issue is the AIM controller never, I repeat never stays on track. It is constantly drifting making any real sense of aiming nearly impossible. I dont have this issue in Farpoint which is 100% dead on no matter whether im sitting or standing. Sucks cause I bought Firewall digital so I am kinda stuck with it so I would like to be able to find a solution to this problem. I moved my camera from being low and aiming upwards and now have it high and aiming downward. I stand about 4-5ft from my tv and am personally about 5'11. Please if anyone has a real solution to this problem (I tried all the reddit fixes like laying it down, turning it off/on, etc etc...), I would really appreciate it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought my vr set a couple weeks back. Had a lot of time to put some time into games, some have really surprised me but I am experiencing A LOT of frustration with one game. That game being Firewall. Out of all the games I own it is probably the most intriguing one to me since I loved R6:Siege, the thought of having a game come close to that but in VR really got me interested.

My issue is the AIM controller never, I repeat never stays on track. It is constantly drifting making any real sense of aiming nearly impossible. I dont have this issue in Farpoint which is 100% dead on no matter whether im sitting or standing. Sucks cause I bought Firewall digital so I am kinda stuck with it so I would like to be able to find a solution to this problem. I moved my camera from being low and aiming upwards and now have it high and aiming downward. I stand about 4-5ft from my tv and am personally about 5'11. Please if anyone has a real solution to this problem (I tried all the reddit fixes like laying it down, turning it off/on, etc etc...), I would really appreciate it.

I've never tried it myself but i think there like a Cone of plastic cover you can put behind the ball, i don't know if this make miracle tougth.....

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I played The Persistence demo, but still not sure if I should get it.

From the videos Ive seen of Deracine, I think it looks like my kind of game, so I will get it pretty soon, it's on sale on PSN EU.

Also, should Farpoint be played with Aim controller or is DS4 good enough? The Firewall Zero Hour bundle costs so much (the only way here to get the aim controller) while the game is on sale for such a much cheaper price.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I can't figure put what this is trying to be gameplay wise. It seemed like a walking simulator most of the time?
There's a PS Blog post about it today but it doesn't go into detail about the gameplay other than using VR for various interactions..

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...orrow-today-with-free-playstation-store-demo/

BUT there is a free demo (hard to find on the store):
https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP2299-CUSA13009_00-ETDEMO0000000002

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
There's a PS Blog post about it today but it doesn't go into detail about the gameplay other than using VR for various interactions..

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...orrow-today-with-free-playstation-store-demo/

BUT there is a free demo (hard to find on the store):
https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP2299-CUSA13009_00-ETDEMO0000000002
I'll definitely need to give the demo a try, assuming it's on the UK PSN store.
It looks interesting, but the lack of anything really resembling gameplay in the trailer kind of worries me.

At first I thought it looked kind of Farpointish, which would've been great, but then no weapons or anything. Then there seemed like some kind of move controller interaction with pushing some rocks but that seemed to be about it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, I made a pretty large post on the gaming side last week after I played Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lttp-star-trek-bridge-crew-or-what-would-chekov-do.92891/

I picked this game up when it came out, last Spring. I finally got a chance for a full evening of it with a group of my friends last night.

In short: It works, it's fun, and it's hilarious.

First off: It's cross-platform. I was using a PSVR headset with two move controllers, and my friends each had an oculus rift with oculus
touch controllers. As far as I could tell, we all had the same experience: graphics were serviceable, the sound was great and no one had any issues
with using the controllers in the various interfaces.

After exchanging ubisoft club friend invites, we connected to a lobby and in-game voice chat came up. The lobby sticks you into a waiting room which is a table in the U.S.S Aegis observation lounge. At this point you can see your crew mates, and hear them talk as if they were actually sitting at the table with you. Hand gestures work, and when a player talks, the mouth on the model works.

Then you start the mission.

After a slightly jarring cutscene (in which you suddenly have an "in-space" viewpoint, and voice chat is cut off) you're put on the bridge of the U.S.S Aegis. There are four crew stations, all with a fairly simple interface of buttons and sliders that you can click on with the touch controllers. The bridge looks good, and the control consoles are convincing enough that once you're focused on a task, it's easy to just slip into the game and forget where you're actually sitting in real life.

Your crew members are all visible on the bridge with you, along with a couple of NPCs that just seem to provide a little background banter. It's very convincing ... you can see your crew mates move their hands, look around the ship, and move their mouths when they start talking.

The gameplay itself is pretty simple coordination between the crew members: Warp someplace, "impulse" someplace, and then scan, transport, or shoot some Klingons. When raised, your shield covers 360 degrees, and you only have two weapons: a phaser bank and photon torpedoes, both which can only fire in a forward arc. Every action is very simple, control-wise. For example: to fire phasers, pick a target (one click on the tactical display) and press "fire phasers" (one button). There's no need to manually line up a crosshair. Only the helm has anything like analog control and it's very simple ... speed, pitch, and yaw. That's it.

Some of the missions are "stealth based" which means keeping your shields down and photon torpedoes uncharged, and then keeping enemy ships outside of a 10km range. Mostly these missions just take a little extra time during which you might have to yell at a crewmate when they accidentally inflate your signature by bringing up shields or by allocating too much engine power.

Every mission requires coordination between each player. For example: to warp, tactical needs to drop shields, engineering needs to give full power to the engines and charge the warp coils, and the helm needs to put the Aegis on the correct heading and push the giant "engage" lever. Everyone is using voice chat, and when the game gets tense everything feels amplified by the voices in your headset.

Voice chat also makes the game hilarious ... the experience of having you and your friends in charge on the bridge of a fictional starship is, well, a bit ridiculous at its core, and if your group is anything like mine you won't be able to resist joking around. This can cause the game to devolve into chaos, but, really that's part of the fun.

We tried (and failed) a mission using the 1968 Star Trek bridge.The "UI" on that ship consists of almost entirely of glowing, unlabled clear plastic buttons, and all your information displays are up on ancient-looking TV screens that encircle the bridge. The whole set feels wonderfully archaic, with great details like the boots on your feet, and the very 1960s carpeting. Towards the end of our attempt, an NPC bridge member was thrown over the railing in a shower of sparks and died dramatically, sprawled out under my tactical console. In VR, the experience was sublime. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while.

Star Trek: Bridge crew isn't perfect, of course: The campaign is very short (6 30-minute missions). The all-stealth mission is, well, an all-stealth mission, depending on how you feel about those. The loading screens and cutscenes are jarring in VR. The actual game mechanics are super-simple for a genre that can be famous for its complexity: the original X-Wing gave you more control options and threw them all at a single player.

But: All and all, it's very impressive experience, and an easy recommendation if you own a headset. Multi-crewed, co-op experiences are clearly something that we should see more of in VR, it's the perfect fit for the medium.

By coincidence, Star Trek: Bridge Crew is currently on sale for $10 on US PSN:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0001-CUSA05893_00-STARTREKBRGCRW01

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Also, should Farpoint be played with Aim controller or is DS4 good enough? The Firewall Zero Hour bundle costs so much (the only way here to get the aim controller) while the game is on sale for such a much cheaper price.

There is a free weekend for Firewall starting tomorrow, you can give it a try. From the 18th to the 20th

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Finally managed to get a PSVR headset at home and try it out on my own for a few days and also with friends and family over the weekend.
I have always been very interested in getting one or at least spend some significant time with a set and most games, but could never find the time to do this. Some friends own a set and, being myself in the industry, I know a few people working with VR here in Portugal and abroad so, I know all about it and been extremely informed about all the titles and developments.

Finally the opportunity presented itself and I went for it. Here are my impressions with everything so far:
- Complicated setup, but after everything is in place i'ts just a matter of unplugging the headset and putting it somewhere, not a big problem.
- Astrobot, Wipeout, Moss and some other games are definitely amazing and they can definitely "wow" me and most of my friends (as expected).
- Any experience where you sit or are standing are great. All the games that try to emulate FPS walking, moving somewhere, etc. just make me nauseous. I don't think I will ever get used to playing any of those games.
- Astrobot and Wipeout are definitely game changers. Wipeout shows you can have a normal game with a good resolution and graphics without too much compromise and Astrobot (in my opinion) shows how to design a game that could only exist in VR. I am sure there are more games out there that I haven't touched yet but these 2 are for now, my favorites.
- Lot's of gimmicky VR games around and lot's of bad resolution games! Jeez! :p Don't want to point fingers as I considered it rude (being a gamedev myself I know how hard it is to get games out) but I bet most people here know what I am talking about.
- Only slight technical problem I faced so far is the Dualshock sometimes "slides" a bit out of position when a game shows as a VR object in-game. This doesn't happen with the PSMoves. But I just need to hide it, pop it back up and it's corrected. Doesn't happen often and it's not a big problem since it doesn't matter where it is facing most of the time.

The 2 biggest problems:
- I can't play 2 days in a row if I play more than 2 hours each day. My eyes get really tired and sometimes my head hurts. I don't notice it while playing, only the next day. Don't know if my brain or eyes will ever get used to it but time will tell. If it doesn't get better than this, I will have to quit VR as I don't want to damage my eyesight. I actually had a friend getting a huge headache at the end of the day we all tested and he said it felt like one of the biggest headaches ever. I think he was just unlucky has nobody else had any problems.
- Second problem is the wife. Whenever I play a videogame (singleplayer) I am always available, I pause the games sometimes, we can talk if needed, she can see me playing, etc. All of this doesn't work when my eyes and ears are covered by VR. I feel terrible playing VR with her in the same room. I have tried to only used it when I am alone in the apartment or if she goes to bed earlier than me.

In conclusion, I love this. This is the future of gaming, definitely. But maybe it is too soon to use it regularly or make it my regular go-to gaming experience.
I will definitely continue using it for a few more weeks before I decide on it and will definitely come back here and comment on some sort of (personal) conclusion.

P.S. going back to playing 2D games on the TV is also weird for the first 5 minutes :p

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The PSVR headset has a microphone built in, has anyone tried cranking up the sidetone to see if it helps awareness of other people in the room?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
All the games that try to emulate FPS walking, moving somewhere, etc. just make me nauseous. I don't think I will ever get used to playing any of those games.

I think you will. Astrobot already has movement and presumably already doesn't make you nauseous. I was pretty dizzy the first times I tried non-teleport movement, now I can use it without issue.

- Only slight technical problem I faced so far is the Dualshock sometimes "slides" a bit out of position when a game shows as a VR object in-game. This doesn't happen with the PSMoves. But I just need to hide it, pop it back up and it's corrected. Doesn't happen often and it's not a big problem since it doesn't matter where it is facing most of the time.

This is an issue for me as well, especially when the DS is pointing kind of down. That said, allow me to offer the most obvious bit of troubleshooting which I embarrassedly didn't realize until yesterday: make sure you didn't set the DS4's light bar to dim, like, years ago, and completely forgot about it. :D

- Second problem is the wife. Whenever I play a videogame (singleplayer) I am always available, I pause the games sometimes, we can talk if needed, she can see me playing, etc. All of this doesn't work when my eyes and ears are covered by VR. I feel terrible playing VR with her in the same room. I have tried to only used it when I am alone in the apartment or if she goes to bed earlier than me.

The obvious solution here is, don't play with headphones on, just use the TV's audio (unless she's actually using the TV, but then, you wouldn't be able to play "normal" PS4 games either). If that's not an option, the VR set has a pass-through option (somewhat hidden, go to Settings -> Devices) to play back sound picked up by the mic into the headphones. It's not perfect, even when turned up to 100 volume, but at least it doesn't isolate you.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad my missus doesn't mind me popping into VR every now and again. She'll just watch some soaps or Netflix. Plus we talk while I'm doing it anyway, sometimes she'll point something out (and I'll pop up my headset and take a look).

Can't say it's been problematic at all for me and my family...

The PSVR headset has a microphone built in, has anyone tried cranking up the sidetone to see if it helps awareness of other people in the room?
Between that and my Rig4VR headphones I have no problems communication or holding conversation with others in the room. In fact it's normal for me to do so...

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
I think you will. Astrobot already has movement and presumably already doesn't make you nauseous. I was pretty dizzy the first times I tried non-teleport movement, now I can use it without issue.

Maybe. The feeling is still there on Astrobot. Time will tell.

This is an issue for me as well, especially when the DS is pointing kind of down. That said, allow me to offer the most obvious bit of troubleshooting which I embarrassedly didn't realize until yesterday: make sure you didn't set the DS4's light bar to dim, like, years ago, and completely forgot about it. :D

Oh shit! Totally forgot too. Tks!

The obvious solution here is, don't play with headphones on, just use the TV's audio (unless she's actually using the TV, but then, you wouldn't be able to play "normal" PS4 games either). If that's not an option, the VR set has a pass-through option (somewhat hidden, go to Settings -> Devices) to play back sound picked up by the mic into the headphones. It's not perfect, even when turned up to 100 volume, but at least it doesn't isolate you.

Hummm... I tried to play without headphones (5.1 sound system) but some games sound really bad because sound positioning was obvisously made for headphones. Astrobot gets a bit weird as some sound sources get positioned in the back when they are in front of me. Maybe I need to change some settings? Need to try it. Thanks for the help :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hummm... I tried to play without headphones (5.1 sound system) but some games sound really bad because sound positioning was obvisously made for headphones. Astrobot gets a bit weird as some sound sources get positioned in the back when they are in front of me. Maybe I need to change some settings? Need to try it. Thanks for the help :)

I mean, headphones are always going to be more immersive, obviously, but if it's either that or not playing...

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
I'm so glad my missus doesn't mind me popping into VR every now and again. She'll just watch some soaps or Netflix. Plus we talk while I'm doing it anyway, sometimes she'll point something out (and I'll pop up my headset and take a look).

Can't say it's been problematic at all for me and my family...

I definitely feel bad as it feels we are both at home spending time together... but not really.
It's more about the isolation sensation I sense than her being bothered. She just laughs when I sit there wearing a helmet with a bunch of lights :p

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I definitely feel bad as it feels we are both at home spending time together... but not really.
It's more about the isolation sensation I sense than her being bothered. She just laughs when I sit there wearing a helmet with a bunch of lights :p

I really, really recommend you activate that passthrough option, yeah. Frankly I have no clue why it's not on by default. The nice thing is that, if you want more immersion and your SO has gone to bed, you can simply turn off the mic clicking the button in the headset, and voila, no passthrough. :)

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
I really, really recommend you activate that passthrough option, yeah. Frankly I have no clue why it's not on by default. The nice thing is that, if you want more immersion and your SO has gone to bed, you can simply turn off the mic clicking the button in the headset, and voila, no passthrough. :)

Ah! This sounds cool. Might work. Will try over the weekend :)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. The feeling is still there on Astrobot. Time will tell.

It seems to be very individual, but most people appear to get used to it after a while. I got sick when I first got my PSVR, but I can go for hours in the more intense games without any issues these days. The important thing is to listen to your body. If you're starting to get nauseous, stop playing and don't power through it. Because that will just make it worse.

Oct 30, 2017
Gotten pretty used to playing RE7 now.

left the house

Still not a fan of all the hiding (hate games like Outlast) and boss fights feel clunky af. Had to look up some stuff to progress which is never fun. Glad I chose easy difficulty. Imo turning off the music is a huge comfort improvement.

A second playthrough would probably be a vastly superior experience.

Nov 1, 2017
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. The image on my PSVR looks blurry, like there's a ton of chromatic aberration everywhere. Especially noticeable whenever there's text. Is there a way I can fix/minimize it?

Also, I played the Astrobot demo and I'm really trying to enjoy it. However, the annoying noises the robots make are kind of a deal-breaker. Is there a way to change the sound they make? I know you need some sort of audio cue to help find them, but it's just too much. :(

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the fact that pretty much no shop, retailer or online, has the Aim controller sold by it self or even in a bundle. The only Aim controller bundles there are is a Bravo Team Bundle for 76$, but Bravo Team is apparently shit according to r/psvr so Im not getting that, noone has the Farpoint bundle so I just bought that on PSN EU on sale and only one online shop has the Firewall Bundle, but for like 90$ and despite the trial I just tried being a bit fun, it's not something Im interested in.

So far the only game Im interested in playing with the aim controller is Farpoint, but the bundle prices are sky high.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ace Combat, holy shit, this game in VR.

It doesn't hold back at all. No comfort settings, this is full on, so make sure you have your VR legs or you will be seeing your lunch again lol

It's one of the very best and intense VR experiences I've had yet, damn shame there isn't more VR missions but god damn, what is here is friggin amazing.

Replay value seems decent though, so will play the VR mode many times over just for the awesome experience, plus there is VR free flight, watching an airshow in VR and looking at the planes close up too, so VR isn't completely bare bones.

They seriously need to add more VR missions, it's so amazing.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. The image on my PSVR looks blurry, like there's a ton of chromatic aberration everywhere. Especially noticeable whenever there's text. Is there a way I can fix/minimize it?

Also, I played the Astrobot demo and I'm really trying to enjoy it. However, the annoying noises the robots make are kind of a deal-breaker. Is there a way to change the sound they make? I know you need some sort of audio cue to help find them, but it's just too much. :(

Try the IPD settings to calibrate your eyes/distance. The headset primarily should be on top of the back of you're head with the front on the tip of your nose, Even tightening the headset helps. Also not sure if you're using the Pro.

Nov 1, 2017
Try the IPD settings to calibrate your eyes/distance. The headset primarily should be on top of the back of you're head with the front on the tip of your nose, Even tightening the headset helps. Also not sure if you're using the Pro.

Thanks, maybe I wasn't wearing it properly, then. I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time I try it.
I'm using a Pro and I already did the calibrations.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, maybe I wasn't wearing it properly, then. I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time I try it.
I'm using a Pro and I already did the calibrations.
Yeah hope it helps, The PSVR isn't crystal clear anyway, But we kind of expect that with the resolution of the lenses inside there. PS5/PSVR2 is where they'll take off, Even the standalone Oculus Quest will have 1600 x 1440 each eye.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

There's a quick menu option called something like adjust headset position which will show white text on a black background. Move the headset around until the text is clear, there shouldn't be any of the chromatic aberration-looking problems if you have it positioned correctly.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So on the latest Jablinksi Games, aka Jack Black's YouTube channel, I spotted a PSVR + Aim controller.

I'm guessing we might be seeing some PSVR games featured on Jack Black's 3.2 million subscribed channel in the coming weeks. Cool to see.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing we might be seeing some PSVR games featured on Jack Black's 3.2 million subscribed channel in the coming weeks.

Unless the joke is that his gaming channel secretly doesn't really feature any gaming. The twenty seconds or so of Pitfall in this episode is the most conventional gaming I've seen on there yet.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
How do you all store your headset?
I currently just lay it on top of my Ps4, but that looks messy and I don't know if its all that good the Pro.
Any recommendations for stands or other tricks?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just a question, I'm alone to have a really , but really hard time to get any PSVR physical game in Canada ? I had to bought exclusive gamestop game direct from their site, impossible from gamestop/ebgames here. There like 3-4 games that i really want but when got cancel 2 game on a command pre-owne on gamestop (still angry about that). Local store with local supplier have nothing in stock, other then big launch title it impossible to have any other game....

As a exemple, I really want a US copy of Apex Construct, other then amazon US, i'm not able to find any other site that selling for a "normal decent retail" price. Does it was always the case or the popularity of the PSVR just make thing worse ?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question, I'm alone to have a really , but really hard time to get any PSVR physical game in Canada ? I had to bought exclusive gamestop game direct from their site, impossible from gamestop/ebgames here. There like 3-4 games that i really want but when got cancel 2 game on a command pre-owne on gamestop (still angry about that). Local store with local supplier have nothing in stock, other then big launch title it impossible to have any other game....

As a exemple, I really want a US copy of Apex Construct, other then amazon US, i'm not able to find any other site that selling for a "normal decent retail" price. Does it was always the case or the popularity of the PSVR just make thing worse ?
VR is pretty niche and the retail market for video games in general is shrinking. With niche products, you pretty much need to shop online if you want a good selection. Retail stores will rightfully focus on more popular platforms. Physical PS VR games are often also in limited prints from indie publishers and they won't follow the same price drop pattern as Sony's own VR games.

Apex Construct's American version seems to be sold on Amazon Canada for less than $39 CAD which corresponds to about $30 USD. Sounds fairly reasonable and it has free shipping options available.