• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So my SO browsed through the list of games on sale and a few of these caught our attention, but the fact we've heard pretty much nothing about them gives me a bit of pause. Anyone has played any of these?
  • Mervils: A VR Adventure
  • The Invisible Hours
  • The Diner Duo
  • The Lost Bear
  • Just in Time Incorporated
  • O! My Genesis VR
  • GNOG (this one is the only one we knew about, via the demo).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So my SO browsed through the list of games on sale and a few of these caught our attention, but the fact we've heard pretty much nothing about them gives me a bit of pause. Anyone has played any of these?
  • The Invisible Hours
  • The Diner Duo
  • The Lost Bear
  • O! My Genesis VR
I bought Mervils when it was the only platformer on PSVR. It was absolutely horrendous then. Now we have Astro Bot, the bar is much higher, and you shouldn't get Mervils even at 100% off.

I played through GNOG and it's very charming. You know what to expect from the demo. It's over very quickly and you will never replay it.

The Lost Bear is also very charming but I only played it for a couple of hours.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I bought Mervils when it was the only platformer on PSVR. It was absolutely horrendous then. Now we have Astro Bot, the bar is much higher, and you shouldn't get Mervils even at 100% off.

I played through GNOG and it's very charming. You know what to expect from the demo. It's over very quickly and you will never replay it.

The Lost Bear is also very charming but I only played it for a couple of hours.

Thank you very much! That's Mevils scratched from the list then.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Start out with Tetris Effect and Moss, as they don't have any real locomotion and won't cause any sickness. Then try out Astro Bot, it's a fairly gentle game, but it does have forward movement. If you feel yourself getting sick, stop playing and don't try to power through it.
Thanks for the tip!! I'll aim to finish Moss before playing Astro Bot. Those two should be good starters for my partner too.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
[On Pro vs Base via PSVR] The exception appears to be Tetris Effect. That game looks like trash on the base PS4 with PSVR.
Honestly, I don't think it looks that great on the Pro, either, when you compare it to the flat-screen version. And, unlike dual-mode games like RE7 & Skyrim, I didn't find VR brought much to the game - I found that once I'm fully engaged with the game, all I see is the blocks; I'm completely oblivious to the surroundings and even the music. But AFAICT I'm very much in the minority there.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
  • The Invisible Hours
  • The Diner Duo
  • The Lost Bear
  • O! My Genesis VR
I've played Invisible Hours, Just In Time, and GNOG. I think Invisible Hours and GNOG are worth full price, so I'd jump on the sale price. Invisible Hours is a surprisingly well-written and -acted steampunkish play (a murder mystery that happens at Nikola Tesla's house) that you get to wander through, moving from area to area as things happen everywhere and simultaneously, so you take advantage of the ability to rewind time to follow various scenes. Very voyeuristic, and a little like a more-nerdy version of Sleep No More, if you've heard of that. GNOG's a charming Peter-Max-looking puzzler. It's brief, it's psychedelic, it has great musical moments, and it's only $10 without any kind of discount. I think both are really sadly-overlooked PSVR gems.

Just In Time is a kind of cartoonish Super Hot with a Job Simulator sense of humor, and I found it could be a little fiddly control-wise. Still, at a discount, I think it's well worth picking up and trying out. Especially when that discount takes it from $15 to only $5, as is currently the case.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought my PSVR today but I'm waiting until Christmas Day to open it. Feels good to have something to look forward to.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Would a swivel chair make Astro Bot easier to play sitting down? I really hate moving my whole body when I'm sitting on a couch.
I play all seated VR games with a swivel chair. Highly recommended. The coffee table has been shifted out of the way permanently though, which can be kind of annoying.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
  • The Invisible Hours
  • The Diner Duo
  • The Lost Bear
  • O! My Genesis VR
I loved The Invisible Hours, my first vr plat. The story is neat. I haven't played The Diner Duo but I know the guy who came up with the idea and programmed most of it. I don't know if ut supports random matchnaking since you need to be two players or how that works. Seems a like neat idea though. It's dirt cheap right now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've played Invisible Hours, Just In Time, and GNOG. I think Invisible Hours and GNOG are worth full price, so I'd jump on the sale price. Invisible Hours is a surprisingly well-written and -acted steampunkish play (a murder mystery that happens at Nikola Tesla's house) that you get to wander through, moving from area to area as things happen everywhere and simultaneously, so you take advantage of the ability to rewind time to follow various scenes. Very voyeuristic, and a little like a more-nerdy version of Sleep No More, if you've heard of that. GNOG's a charming Peter-Max-looking puzzler. It's brief, it's psychedelic, it has great musical moments, and it's only $10 without any kind of discount. I think both are really sadly-overlooked PSVR gems.

Just In Time is a kind of cartoonish Super Hot with a Job Simulator sense of humor, and I found it could be a little fiddly control-wise. Still, at a discount, I think it's well worth picking up and trying out. Especially when that discount takes it from $15 to only $5, as is currently the case.

I loved The Invisible Hours, my first vr plat. The story is neat. I haven't played The Diner Duo but I know the guy who came up with the idea and programmed most of it. I don't know if ut supports random matchnaking since you need to be two players or how that works. Seems a like neat idea though. It's dirt cheap right now.

Thanks a lot for your input!
- The Invisible Hours caught my SO's attention because she loves puzzle games and point-and-click adventures and so on. She kind of lost a lot of the interest when she learned you don't really "do" much except watch, or at least it seemed that way from the reviews.
- Diner Duo would be to play locally together, which is apparently how two-player works (one plays on the screen serving orders, the other on the VR preparing them). This kind of multiplayer is a huge bonus for us.
- GNOG seemed neat when we played the demo but a bit too abstract / the puzzles a bit too trial and error for us. We liked Statik's puzzles a lot more as they seemed a lot more grounded in logic and common sense. About how many puzzles does GNOG have?

Still triggers me they didn't add co-op to Raw Data and yet still charge full whack for it.

Well, they don't if you buy it on sale! :) But yeah, it's quite too steep at full price.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my psvr yesterday after i did the setup and did an intitial test which the headset was working now i can't get the headset to start up . The processor unit also doesn't pass any signals to my tv and the white led light is always flashing. It did randomly pass a signal to my tv once with a solid white led after i restarted everything but the screen went black after a few seconds and it won't work anymore.

I've tested the hdmi cables and usb cables on other devices and all are working fine, the ports on my ps4 and tv are also are ok. Now i'm out of ideas and will be stuck with this brick until later next week when the retailer reopens and i can return it. Do you guys have any other tips on troubleshooting this?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Thanks a lot for your input!
- The Invisible Hours caught my SO's attention because she loves puzzle games and point-and-click adventures and so on. She kind of lost a lot of the interest when she learned you don't really "do" much except watch, or at least it seemed that way from the reviews.
- Diner Duo would be to play locally together, which is apparently how two-player works (one plays on the screen serving orders, the other on the VR preparing them). This kind of multiplayer is a huge bonus for us.
- GNOG seemed neat when we played the demo but a bit too abstract / the puzzles a bit too trial and error for us. We liked Statik's puzzles a lot more as they seemed a lot more grounded in logic and common sense. About how many puzzles does GNOG have?

Well, they don't if you buy it on sale! :) But yeah, it's quite too steep at full price.
Yeah TIH is a bit sparse in the gameplay department. Think of it as actually being on the stage as the audience as actors do a play. Except you can watch it from any angle at any time. There are plenty of notes and diaries to find and since there's like 10 main characters, there's a lot to see since each have their own story arc that intertwine. And when they don't intertwine, things still happen to them off screen that you can go and search for thanks to the time reversal mechanic. It's more of a detective story, for both the actual stage play and for what the player does.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Weltall Zero If your other half likes puzzle games I really recommend Statik. It's a series of escape room style puzzles where you have to try and pick up clues from your environment. Only. A few house long with a really spooky vibe to it

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero If your other half likes puzzle games I really recommend Statik. It's a series of escape room style puzzles where you have to try and pick up clues from your environment. Only. A few house long with a really spooky vibe to it

We already have it, we got it from a previous sale. We're nearly through it too, I think we have one or two boxes left. Thanks a lot for the recommendation though, we did like it quite a bit! But yeah, I wish it was a bit longer.

Yeah TIH is a bit sparse in the gameplay department. Think of it as actually being on the stage as the audience as actors do a play. Except you can watch it from any angle at any time. There are plenty of notes and diaries to find and since there's like 10 main characters, there's a lot to see since each have their own story arc that intertwine. And when they don't intertwine, things still happen to them off screen that you can go and search for thanks to the time reversal mechanic. It's more of a detective story, for both the actual stage play and for what the player does.

Yeah, that was my impression. My SO likes more interactive stuff, so this dropped her interest on the game. Her exact words "I'd rather watch an actual TV series instead :P". :)

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
I very rarely see it mentioned, but I'd suggest people to give a chance to Solus Project (it's 70% off in the EU sale).

It has a really great atmosphere, one of the best in the vr games I played, you really feel you're exploring a deserted alien planet, and while far too many vr games are very very short this one has several hours of exploration with free locomotion and smooth turning (though only if you have the moves iirc. It has the same controls as Skyrim, just reversed).
There are no enemies but there are survival elements (need to find food, water, heat souces, etc) unless you decide to turn them off, there are traps in the ruins and some pretty cool weather hazards when you're on the surface.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I very rarely see it mentioned, but I'd suggest people to give a chance to Solus Project (it's 70% off in the EU sale).

It has a really great atmosphere, one of the best in the vr games I played, you really feel you're exploring a deserted alien planet, and while far too many vr games are very very short this one has several hours of exploration with free locomotion and smooth turning (though only if you have the moves iirc. It has the same controls as Skyrim, just reversed).
There are no enemies but there are survival elements (need to find food, water, heat souces, etc) unless you decide to turn them off, there are traps in the ruins and some pretty cool weather hazards when you're on the surface.

I second this, thrilling sci-fi exploration adventure. One of my favorites no doubt about it.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
The January PS sale is pretty damn nice. I picked up Astro Bot and Moss. Astro Bot is amazing

I also took a risk with Doom VR but I don't like it

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, some amazing deals on PS Store, thinking about picking Ultrawings, The Invisible Hours and Accounting+, worth it?
The only one I've played in those is Ultrawings... I assume you would play it with the DS4?

The premise and the execution of the game is really good... It's basically VR Pilotwing.

My big issue with it is that I play with a HOTAS and there's no deadzone/sensitivy settings so it's great for the early slower planes but once you unlock faster planes it's almost unplayable.... I assume they balanced it properly with the DS4.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
We already have it, we got it from a previous sale. We're nearly through it too, I think we have one or two boxes left. Thanks a lot for the recommendation though, we did like it quite a bit! But yeah, I wish it was a bit longer.

Yeah, that was my impression. My SO likes more interactive stuff, so this dropped her interest on the game. Her exact words "I'd rather watch an actual TV series instead :P". :)
I see. That's a shame. It really is quite unique and a once in a lifetime experience.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about the following from the EU sale, and would love some thoughts:
- Raw Data for 10 GBP
- Headmaster for 5 GBP
- Megaton Rainfall for 6 GBP
- Account + for 6 GBP
- Also thinking about Solus Project due to recommendation here

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was thinking about the following from the EU sale, and would love some thoughts:
- Raw Data for 10 GBP
- Headmaster for 5 GBP
- Account + for 6 GBP

I only have Raw Data from these, although I'm considering most of the others you mention, heh. Personally I like Raw Data a lot and is one of my most played games, although note that unlike most of the games in the sale, it's actually been a bit cheaper (it's been as low as 10€ versus the current 13€).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just played through the Apex Construct demo and oh boy... First VR that made me a bit queezy lol.

I didn't actually get sick but I sure started to sweat a lot lol.

The game itself looks all right. Tho it's weird... Right after you first get your bow you have to kill a few enemies and then go through a door that requires one of those cylindrical batteries. I ran around in circles for 20min and couldn't find any anywhere in the level until at some point I turned around and there's one that just randomly drops out of sky in front of me? lol anyway

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
- Raw Data for 10 GBP
- Headmaster for 5 GBP
- Account + for 6 GBP

Accounting+ is hilarious if you like Rick & Morty style humour. So are the patch notes when checking the update history.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried Sprint Vector for the first time.... As expected, good workout haha.

Slowly starting to get the hang of the controls... The thoughest thing for me is to grab green walls to launch myself vertically in the air... For some reason I, more often than not, push myself away from the wall... I dunno...

Also, I need to see if I can find some cheap third party wrist wrap that are better than the official ones... The clamp system they use is way too difficult to operate with only one hand which makes it kinda useless...

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I only have Raw Data from these, although I'm considering most of the others you mention, heh. Personally I like Raw Data a lot and is one of my most played games, although note that unlike most of the games in the sale, it's actually been a bit cheaper (it's been as low as 10€ versus the current 13€).
Accounting+ is hilarious if you like Rick & Morty style humour. So are the patch notes when checking the update history.

Cheers.
I think for that price I can't go wrong then with Accounting +
I'll skip Raw Data for now, since it was low on my list anyway.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So, I've got a little experiment I'm hoping some Astrobot owners can help me with. Jump into a level, and hold the controller out until it becomes solid (i.e. not see-through and glowy). Now get your head as close to it as you can, and try to focus on the controller. Can you bring it into sharp focus?

Because I can't, and I'm wondering if I'm the weirdo here. When I get the controller near to my face, I simply can't bring it into focus. If I let my eyes relax and defocus, everything becomes sharp; it's double-vision because I've gone cross-eyed, but sharp nonetheless. The moment I try to focus on the controller again, it's a blurry mess. If I look past the controller and focus on a distant object behind it, I can see the controller become sharp in my periphery. My brain hasn't realised that everything is on a flat plane an inch in front of my eyeballs, and I don't need to change my focus.

I've found that Astrobot sometimes looks immaculate to me, while other times it looks a little soft. I'm now wondering whether the latter is the result of my eyes failing to focus correctly on objects that feel too close.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So, I've got a little experiment I'm hoping some Astrobot owners can help me with. Jump into a level, and hold the controller out until it becomes solid (i.e. not see-through and glowy). Now get your head as close to it as you can, and try to focus on the controller. Can you bring it into sharp focus?

Because I can't, and I'm wondering if I'm the weirdo here. When I get the controller near to my face, I simply can't bring it into focus. If I let my eyes relax and defocus, everything becomes sharp; it's double-vision because I've gone cross-eyed, but sharp nonetheless. The moment I try to focus on the controller again, it's a blurry mess. If I look past the controller and focus on a distant object behind it, I can see the controller become sharp in my periphery. My brain hasn't realised that everything is on a flat plane an inch in front of my eyeballs, and I don't need to change my focus.

I've found that Astrobot sometimes looks immaculate to me, while other times it looks a little soft. I'm now wondering whether the latter is the result of my eyes failing to focus correctly on objects that feel too close.

It's not you, it's Astrobot. I've realized it seems to blur objects that come to close to your face, for whatever reason. I notice it most when trying to get a close look at enemies or the bots themselves (since I play standing up, I can easily move to look at them closely).

I don't know why it does this, and as far as I can remember it's only Astrobot that does it, other games are OK; but I empathize with you a lot because it was weirding me out like hell at first too. I chalked it up to limited resolution or lack of power on my non-pro PS4, but it really doesn't make any sense that objects become blurrier when they're closer.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's not you, it's Astrobot. I've realized it seems to blur objects that come to close to your face, for whatever reason. I notice it most when trying to get a close look at enemies or the bots themselves (since I play standing up, I can easily move to look at them closely).

I don't know why it does this, and as far as I can remember it's only Astrobot that does it, other games are OK; but I empathize with you a lot because it was weirding me out like hell at first too. I chalked it up to limited resolution or lack of power on my non-pro PS4, but it really doesn't make any sense that objects become blurrier when they're closer.

See, I initially thought it was the game too, but in testing my theory (i.e. spending like 20 minutes just sitting staring at different parts of the screen) I now know that it isn't the game.

Try bringing the controller close to your face. Blurry, right? Now look past it (between the handles, under where the headset port would be, for example) at something distant. Can you see out of the corners of your eyes that the controller is now "in focus"?

I don't remember seeing this in VR, but theoretically, it does make sense.
Try to bring an object really close to your face, and you won't see it sharply.

That's certainly true to an extent, but in Astrobot I can't stretch my arms far enough away from my face to get that damn controller to come into focus. In reality it's only once an object is, say, 10cm or closer to my eyes that I can't maintain focus.

In other words, it seems like when I'm using VR the distance away from me that an object has to be for me to achieve clear focus is much, much larger than it is in real life.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not found if this has been posted anywhere, but here's some Christmas cards from a bunch of VR teams.

Zoink Games:
Du6QxB9XcAEAvhR.jpg

Squanch Games:

Owlchemy Labs:

Outerloop Games:

Polyarc:

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked out the January sale. Man, about half of my wishlist for VR titles is on sale right now.

Unfortunately, I just moved house, and it's Christmas so I just don't have the disposable money to snap up all the bargains. :'(

I did finally get to try Beat Saber after getting my VR setup in new place. Wow! It just feels so good to play.

Omerta

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Sales are hard with psvr... I've trained myself to ignore PS4 deals because I'm playing through "meaty, single player games" so I only buy what I'm ready to play next.

The problem with psvr though (and the Nintendo Switch to some extent) is it lends itself to a 'smorgasbord' approach where you feel like dipping in and out of games like a lunatic!

Fuck these sales right in my wallet :(

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never experienced VR before. Might pull the trigger on the Beat Saber + Borderlands 2 bundle for $230. I have a PS4 Pro.

Should I?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the Astrobot/Moss bundle has much better games but 30$ for a pair of Move controllers is a killer deal.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't sleep on Raw Data. Even though its still blurry on a Pro its possibly the best wave shooter I have played outside of Superhot endless and I have only maxed out 1 character. A good soundtrack makes you feel like a stylish anime character

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working on the last few Challenge levels I have left in Astro Bot before I can platinum and for some reason... I just can't kill the stupid Bird boss without taking damage... I must have tried like 40 times now... I am Soooooooooooooo tired of doing the first two platforms and then die on the third one...ugh

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Google Express won't let me checkout. Tried clearing my cart. Tried different payment options. Tried different accounts. This is fun.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
- Raw Data for 10 GBP
- Headmaster for 5 GBP
- Account + for 6 GBP

I've not played much of Megaton Rainfall, but what I have I've enjoyed. It's gameplay loop is fairly basic but It's the closest thing to a Superman VR game. I'd say it's worth the price for sure.

There's a demo of Headmaster on one of the VR demo packs you can download.