• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
It varies from game to game; in some games the difference between Pro and base is negligible, in others it's small. It's never a big difference - I've got a Pro, but have no hesitation recommending playing PSVR on a base PS4. The difference between VR and not-VR is far, far more.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I have to disagree a little bit. Almost all PSVR games take advantage of the Pro, and the difference can be significant, at other times small. But it's not necessary, just nice to have. Don't worry pulling the trigger.

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have issues during setting up the headset for the first time where it keeps asking you to connect the camera despite it being connected? I'm about to pull my hair out.

Edit: Nevermind, seems you can put the plug in too far in the port, got it working.

Played a bit of GT sport VR and then some Astrobot, got a bit queasy though :/ Its very cool though.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Managed to pick up a PSVR bundle with VR Worlds and Astrobot for $250 AUD at Big W yesterday. Receipt said I saved $199, so I'm pretty stoked.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding the advantages of PS4 Pro in specific VR titles, I'd recommend checking this thread and Ctrl + F "VR" on the first page of the thread. In my experience, the differences are quite small.

Managed to pick up a PSVR bundle with VR Worlds and Astrobot for $250 AUD at Big W yesterday. Receipt said I saved $199, so I'm pretty stoked.

That translates to roughly 156 euro, so you got yourself a bargain - congrats! Dive head first into Astro Bot imo

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That translates to roughly 156 euro, so you got yourself a bargain - congrats! Dive head first into Astro Bot imo

If it hadn't included Astrobot I might've been on the fence, but WITH Astrobot it seemed too good to pass up.

Played a little of Astrobot last night, so far it seems delightful! And thanks to PS+ I've already got a few other full games waiting in the wings.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I was having a TON of fun with Ultrawings and my HOTAS for a while but now that I have unlocked the faster planes, it basicaly became unplayable... The controls are way too sensitive and twitchy and there's no in game settings to change any of that... I'm having a tough time doing a simple circuit license test with the stunt plane...

What a fucking bummer.... I really love any kind of flying and this was my only opportunity in VR....

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I really love any kind of flying and this was my only opportunity in VR....
Are there really no settings for that? I recall there being some decent settings or at least being able to select between simulation or assist modes. Any "on controller" settings for your HOTAS?

Not long to wait for Ace Combat! It is really good.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there really no settings for that? I recall there being some decent settings or at least being able to select between simulation or assist modes. Any "on controller" settings for your HOTAS?

Not long to wait for Ace Combat! It is really good.
I'm not seeing any settings in game and not really anything on the stick itself.

I tried to switch to arcade mode instead of simulation to see if it would make it easier but the way the arcade mode works is actually super weird and somehow makes it more difficult when using a stick lol.

I love Ace Combat but it's obviously super arcade so not really the same thing... Also, the fact that there is actually only 3 VR missions and not the whole campaign is a giant buzzkill for me. Like at that point, as much as I would love to play those VR missions, I might just wait for a cheap deal on the PC version instead.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
I've been thinking about buying a aim controller for firewall zero hour. Is it worth it? Or does the game play just fine with a regular controller?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about buying a aim controller for firewall zero hour. Is it worth it? Or does the game play just fine with a regular controller?

Haven't played Firewall with the DS4, but I can say that the Aim Controller is well worth it for the immersion. I certainly wish more titles supported it.

Some of the fun things you can do in-game with the Aim Controller are: pull it up close to look and aim down the sights, position it so that you reduce your profile when moving (to not bump into anything and possibly reveal your position), prop it up against a surface for additional stability, signal/gesture to your teammates by moving it, and my personal favorite: blind firing from behind cover and around corners.

Super Bunnyhop's review of Firewall does a pretty good job of showing what you can do with the Aim Controller:

I'm not certain that you can also do all of those things with a DS4, so I hope someone else can chime in with their experience.

If you're in the U.S., you can currently pick up the Aim Controller and Firewall for $59.99 from GameStop, or if you already have Firewall, you can get the Bravo Team bundle for $47.97. From what I've read, Bravo Team wasn't very well-received or liked by many. Since the controller normally costs $59.99 by itself, either bundle is a great deal.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
The Persistence demo is now available to download, It's of the actual game build unlike the demo that's on the demo disk 2.

What i will say is, It's hard for me now to use the DS4 instead of the moves, Feels backwards.... I much prefer the moves, Limited as they may be, But using you're own hands just feels more immersive so going back to DS4 is tough.

Roll on when we actually get moves with analogue sticks.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The Persistence demo is now available to download, It's of the actual game build unlike the demo that's on the demo disk 2.

What i will say is, It's hard for me now to use the DS4 instead of the moves, Feels backwards.... I much prefer the moves, Limited as they may be, But using you're own hands just feels more immersive so going back to DS4 is tough.

Roll on when we actually get moves with analogue sticks.

Oh, yeah, I remember how I disliked that from the other demo. How you had to look at things and push a button to interact with them. :/

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Anyway to protect the psvr from eyeglasses? I remember reading about some guards, but I can't find anything on amazon.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
EU Christmas sale is up. Loads of VR stuff from my wish list on sale. Most of it at least 50% off. Although don't think I've seen Job Simulator on sale once in the last 12 months now! ;_;

To those that have played both, Creed or Knockout League?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
EU Christmas sale is up. Loads of VR stuff from my wish list on sale. Most of it at least 50% off. Although don't think I've seen Job Simulator on sale once in the last 12 months now! ;_;

To those that have played both, Creed or Knockout League?

I've played neither, but any time I see people compare them they seem to prefer Knockout League.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on Prison Boss VR and Apex Construct?

Looking at videos and they both look ok but I have never heard from either of them.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
EU Christmas sale is up. Loads of VR stuff from my wish list on sale. Most of it at least 50% off.

Holy shit you weren't kidding. At least 8 games in my wishlist have 60%+ discounts. Any specific recommendation or caveats among these?
  • Thumper
  • Tethered
  • No More Heroes VR
  • Ultrawings
  • Megaton Rainfall
  • Sprint Vector
  • Catlateral Damage
Any opinions on Prison Boss VR and Apex Construct?

Looking at videos and they both look ok but I have never heard from either of them.

Both have demos (Prison Architect only in the US):
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3046-CUSA12475_00-0000000000000000
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4773-CUSA14625_00-PRISONBOSSVRAMDM
Apex Construct actually seemed pretty decent from what I played of it; I haven't played the Prison Boss demo.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Holy shit you weren't kidding. At least 8 games in my wishlist have 60%+ discounts. Any specific recommendation or caveats among these?
  • Thumper
  • Tethered
  • No More Heroes VR
  • Ultrawings
  • Megaton Rainfall
  • Sprint Vector
  • Catlateral Damage

Both have demos (Prison Architect only in the US):
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3046-CUSA12475_00-0000000000000000
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4773-CUSA14625_00-PRISONBOSSVRAMDM
Apex Construct actually seemed pretty decent from what I played of it; I haven't played the Prison Boss demo.

Sprint Vector for sure is great.

Cross between Mario Kart and Jet Grind Radio. Awesome workout to boot.

Make sure you do the full tutorial though.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
  • Thumper
  • Tethered
  • No More Heroes VR
  • Ultrawings
  • Megaton Rainfall
  • Sprint Vector
  • Catlateral Damage
Ultrawings is great, I highly recommend that. I'm curious about Catlateral Damage but it is, by all accounts, terrible.

I'm gonna buy Sprint Vector!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway to protect the psvr from eyeglasses? I remember reading about some guards, but I can't find anything on amazon.
I assume you mean the bumpers people talk about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-...ses-scratches-Playstation-PS-VR-/262902559621 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-L...sses-scratches-Playstation-PS-VR/263265607694 (both are from the same person, the deluxe is just a bit better materials - swap the .co.uk for whichever ebay store you'd use ie .com for america)

You stick them at each side and it acts as a bumper to stop your glasses from touching the lens. They stopped mine from going close.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I assume you mean the bumpers people talk about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-...ses-scratches-Playstation-PS-VR-/262902559621 or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-L...sses-scratches-Playstation-PS-VR/263265607694 (both are from the same person, the deluxe is just a bit better materials - swap the .co.uk for whichever ebay store you'd use ie .com for america)

You stick them at each side and it acts as a bumper to stop your glasses from touching the lens. They stopped mine from going close.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Does it work on the newest version of psvr?

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
From Reddit PSVR very sad if true 😔

xzPoVW8.jpg

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I was looking forward to it, too, but I'm not surprised given the complete lack of any mention of it for the last year.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Long time VRs sceptic here, but I've decided to buy one for myself because of the buzz surrounding Astro Bot. Planning on getting the Starter pack, Astro Bot, Moss, Rez, Tetris Effect. I'm also interested in Eagle Flight.

I don't have PS Pro, and I gave my Move controller to a friend when he got PSVR two years ago.

My one VR experience was an Oculus DK1 playing one of the demo rooms. I remember tapping the stick forward, accidentally causing a horrible lunge that made me feel sick for hours afterwards. I haven't tried PSVR yet but I truly hope this doesn't happen again. Do people still buy sickness drugs to help this?

Is there a list of VR games in the EU sale? Any big recommendations?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Long time VRs sceptic here, but I've decided to buy one for myself because of the buzz surrounding Astro Bot. Planning on getting the Starter pack, Astro Bot, Moss, Rez, Tetris Effect. I'm also interested in Eagle Flight.

I don't have PS Pro, and I gave my Move controller to a friend when he got PSVR two years ago.

My one VR experience was an Oculus DK1 playing one of the demo rooms. I remember tapping the stick forward, accidentally causing a horrible lunge that made me feel sick for hours afterwards. I haven't tried PSVR yet but I truly hope this doesn't happen again. Do people still buy sickness drugs to help this?

Is there a list of VR games in the EU sale? Any big recommendations?

Generally, if you're suceptible to VR sickness you want to take it a bit slow in the beginning. Start out with Tetris Effect and Moss, as they don't have any real locomotion and won't cause any sickness. Then try out Astro Bot, it's a fairly gentle game, but it does have forward movement. If you feel yourself getting sick, stop playing and don't try to power through it. You'll get used to it after a few sessions, and gradually get comfortable with more advanced movement options.

This is IF you get sick of course, the majority of people I've had play mine have been absolutely fine.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017

Sickness or nausea caused by VR is still a thing. It varies from person to person. That incident you described was because your eyes had communicated to your brain that you were moving, but your body actually wasn't. With more repeated exposure to VR, you can become used to it and develop what's referred to as "VR legs" (like "sea legs"). It just takes time.

I'd recommend playing in short bursts initially. Having a fan turned on and faced towards you while playing can ease you into getting used to VR. Ginger tea and candy can also help. Those have all worked for me.

The moment you start to feel strange (like something is "off") stop playing immediately. Definitely don't force yourself to go on. Various comfort settings in games can be enabled until you can turn them off (such as blinders and snap/rotational turning versus full view and smooth turning).

Of the games you'd mentioned, Tetris Effect and Moss should be the most safe as they feature limited to no camera motion (be aware that some levels in Tetris Effect have slight forward and side motion). Astro Bot has you moving the camera forward during play (your first experience with it will be in the very first level). Rez is always moving ahead, but since you're controlling a third-person avatar, you might not be as impacted. The other games in the Mega Pack starter bundle are more "advanced". Doom VFR, Skyrim, and WipeOut I'd dive into a little later until you feel more comfortable, and in that order. And of the experiences featured in PlayStation Worlds, Ocean Descent has very limited motion, while the others can vary greatly--Scavenger's Odyssey has reportedly gotten many first-timers sick.

Hope your PSVR experience is better than your DK1 was!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sprint Vector for sure is great.

Cross between Mario Kart and Jet Grind Radio. Awesome workout to boot.

Make sure you do the full tutorial though.

Ultrawings is great, I highly recommend that. I'm curious about Catlateral Damage but it is, by all accounts, terrible.

I'm gonna buy Sprint Vector!

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, guys.

Aw, man. Always a tragedy when a title gets cancelled that far into development. :( My condolences to the dev team.

My one VR experience was an Oculus DK1 playing one of the demo rooms. I remember tapping the stick forward, accidentally causing a horrible lunge that made me feel sick for hours afterwards.

Yeah, that's what called "smooth movement", and is the number one cause of nausea, alongside smooth turning. Some people don't get sick from it, other people do initially but get used to it (that was me, the famous VR legs), and some never get used to it. Fortunately, pretty much every VR game accounts for this, and offers (and normally defaults to, unless you change it in the confort settings) teleport movement, which means you point somewhere and click to teleport there. Some games don't even allow for smooth movement (teleport-only), and some don't even have movement at all (SuperHOT, Beat Saber, most of the stuff in VR Worlds, etc.).

Among the games that do have smooth movement, many are set inside vehicles where having a frame of reference lessens the impact of movement a lot. Until Dawn Rush of Blood is set on a amusement park ride, for example, and it didn't give me nausea even before I got accustomed to smooth movement.

The twin of smooth movement is smooth turning, and this does still make me dizzy / unconfortable, but it's probably because I never feel the need to use it, as snap turning (basically the turning equivalent of teleport) feels more convenient and faster to me anyway.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the tips! I'll consider them for my partner too, as she has very little experience with games, especially first person.

I found a useful link to EU PSVR sales. Great prices!
https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/grid/STORE-MSF75508-JANSALE19PSVR/1

Here's a link to all the VR games on sale, ordered by discount (change the region in the link by typing to your own, e.g. region-gb; selecting it in the dropdown kicks you to the front page and I haven't found the link for this page in there):
https://psprices.com/region-es/games/vr/?sort=discount&platform=PS4
I like PSPrices a lot more than the official store because you get a history of past prices (to see how good the current discount is compared to prior ones), and you get a lot of links to videos of the games, including reviews. The official store only has trailers, if that (often they don't have any videos at all, which is frankly mind-boggling).

Incidentally, a few very cheap games that also caught my eye:
  • Crystal Rift
  • 100ft Robot Golf
  • Tumble VR (played the demo, seemed nice).
Anyone has them?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a link to all the VR games on sale, ordered by discount (change the region in the link by typing to your own, e.g. region-gb; selecting it in the dropdown kicks you to the front page and I haven't found the link for this page in there):
https://psprices.com/region-es/games/vr/?sort=discount&platform=PS4
I like PSPrices a lot more than the official store because you get a history of past prices (to see how good the current discount is compared to prior ones), and you get a lot of links to videos of the games, including reviews. The official store only has trailers, if that (often they don't have any videos at all, which is frankly mind-boggling).

Incidentally, a few very cheap games that also caught my eye:
  • Crystal Rift
  • 100ft Robot Golf
Anyone has them?

Tumble is pretty nice if you have move controllers. It's nothing spectacular, but a very nice introductory VR game for people who are not used to videogames. It's a calm little dexterity puzzler and worth the price.

I personally wouldn't bother with Crystal Rift. It's a grid based dungeon crawler that left me pretty underwhelmed.

I haven't tried 100ft golf.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Just got the mega bundle pack, and a pair of old moves for the 26th or so, am I in for a ride psvr era?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...Incidentally, a few very cheap games that also caught my eye:
  • Crystal Rift
  • 100ft Robot Golf
Anyone has them?
Tumble VR was one of the first games I got at launch. It's a nice physics-based puzzle game, and as previously mentioned it's a great way to show to friends what VR can do. I'm not sure if you can use the DualShock, but it's the kind of game that uses the Move controller perfectly (only requires one), since you're grabbing objects, moving, stacking, and flinging them.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Tumble VR was one of the first games I got at launch. It's a nice physics-based puzzle game, and as previously mentioned it's a great way to show to friends what VR can do. I'm not sure if you can use the DualShock, but it's the kind of game that uses the Move controller perfectly (only requires one), since you're grabbing objects, moving, stacking, and flinging them.

I have two move controllers so that's not an issue. I did play the demo and it felt fun, like a reverse Jenga. :)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It varies from game to game; in some games the difference between Pro and base is negligible, in others it's small. It's never a big difference - I've got a Pro, but have no hesitation recommending playing PSVR on a base PS4. The difference between VR and not-VR is far, far more.

The exception appears to be Tetris Effect. That game looks like trash on the base PS4 with PSVR.