• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it's not a "great" number. It cant be spun that it is.

The good news is that Sony invests surprisingly little in their VR projects and it's considered a passion project for them so support will continue. They arent losing money on it but it's not exactly making them money either.

But their budget for this whole venture is surprisingly conservative so hopefully in the long haul it pays off for them.

I see, thanks for the response !

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So ~5% of PS4 owners? Decent numbers I suppose. How does it compare to other VR platforms?

It's selling worse than the Wii U and Vita, but it's hard to compare such different platforms.
It's only been on the market 3 years though? So you comparing it to the ltd sales of Vita and Wii U is weird.

Also VR is an accessory and not a console.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Lol, I went and edited that super quick XD

Listen, I love the thing. I'm just a huge supporter of VR and want it to do well!.

There is no sky-limit thing with VR. It enhances the experience in proportional margins.

A Wireless 2nd generation of VR that perfectly syncs with a detachable Dualshock 5 would be such a stand-out hardware strategy for VR. It eliminates an extra Move bundle purchase and combines the best of Move and Dualshock into 1.

I hope Sony does something with Dualshock 5 next gen that abolishes the need to have to make several purchases to get a cohesive VR experience.
The patent images are reminiscent of Oculus touch mixed with a move controller.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180311571.pdf

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Honestly, I think the continued price cuts and bundles with attractive software have done wonders for the legs on this thing (besides the continued quality software support and surprising ability to get popular content in VR, even if in the form of port a la Skyrim or Borderlands 2).

Stealing ZhugeEX's Twitter sales numbers:

Oct 2016 - $499 (with cheaper $399 alternative that had no PS Camera or Move controllers)
Feb 2017 - 915k sold (+183k units/month avg.)
Aug 2017 - $449 (with cheaper $399 alternative that had no Move controllers)
Dec 2017 - 2m sold (+205k units/month avg.)
Aug 2017 - 3m sold (+125k units/month avg.)

Mar 2018 - $349 (with cheaper $299 alternative that has no Move controllers)
Mar 2019 - 4.2m sold (+171k units/month avg.)

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
GearVR sold 8 million units.
GearVR is was literally given away to people buying Galaxy phones for the last 3 years. I've had 3 different GearVRs and given or sold them all away.

Compared to actual VR headsets with 6dof, its the best selling one.

Also Benji can use head-shaking GIF all he wants, but for something that launched at the same price as the console, it has sold well enough that sell rate is actually increasing as more software like Astro Bot and Beat Saber came out for it, along with the price drops that came with v2.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
I mean...

Sony themselves have stated PSVR and the VR market in general performed slower than their expectations and they had to change strategy for a more "realistic" performance.

That's why basically all VR games now are either indie or micro budget or add ons for other stand alone games

It is the whole market I feel, it was really over hyped in terms of analysts predictions and projected growth year on year leading up to 2020. From pure market evaluation perspective, I would say it is pretty much niche product at this stage, and not the mainstream product that some believed it would be, for the reasons you have stated. Hopefully the next generation it will have a stronger presences. This is my view on the whole VR market, not just PSVR.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or do you think there are actually people who buy $700 phones to play $99 VR on it?

I did

And its the height of irony to be like "GearVR doesn't count, it's so cheap!" when PSVR launched at less than half the price of the HTC Vive.

There is no way to spin it, the PSVR is NOT the quote "the best selling VR headset." GearVR far out sold it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
You can also say that not every PSVR is in the hands of active user, some have sold it and and some simply didn't use it so the math is flawed. But considering every what ifs makes attach rate meaningless.
Yeah, attach rate compared to the console's overall sold numbers is a dumb metric because it can be used to make every peripheral or game appear to sell like shit if that's your agenda.

Jan 17, 2019
I mean...

Sony themselves have stated PSVR and the VR market in general performed slower than their expectations and they had to change strategy for a more "realistic" performance.

That's why basically all VR games now are either indie or micro budget or add ons for other stand alone games

Numbers would be bad if it's a strictly a gaming platform, but it's not a gaming platform. It's a peripheral. And not a cheap peripheral device. And those numbers are good surely for such a device which also has a good software support. What the hell i know, you're the US sales insider, not me.

Last edited:

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

That's not really fair. As Samsung phones are far more regularly placed in promotions and cellphone contracts that give you the device either free or with a small downpayment fee and trade-in deals thrown in that too.

Samsung VR was also being given for free some years ago too.

PSVR has a high cost of entry and doesnt have a way of benefiting from smartphone promotions or trade-ins.

The 4.2 figure is true sell-through revenue and market penetration. It's the fastest selling VR device and should be at the Gear's numbers pretty soon provided PSVR maintains it's current selling pace.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really good numbers, and looks like 2019 is going to be another great year for the platform.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gear VR was given away for 8 months in 2017. After that period, they announced they had shipped 4 million units. Meaning they've sold 4 million units since they've stopped giving them away.

Also, gear VR was sold before it was given away. The "free GearVR" promotion was actually very short lived.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I will say is while overall volume is pretty unimpressive it is reassuring how steady it sells.

Its base volume is a very low number but it hasnt dropped off either. Its still selling to its niche demo

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The one thing I will say is while overall volume is pretty unimpressive it is reassuring how steady it sells.

Its base volume is a very low number but it hasnt dropped off either. Its still selling to its niche demo
I still think price is the main barrier for an increase in sales and likely the reason the last half-year (with the price drop) looks so favorable.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, attach rate compared to the console's overall sold numbers is a dumb metric because it can be used to make every peripheral or game appear to sell like shit if that's your agenda.

That's not what I meant. Margin of error exists. If you say not every PS4 sold is a unique user (therefore not every sold PS4 is in the hands of an active user), then you can say the same with PSVR, where someone might've sold it or shelve it permanently. That would make every number meaningless, but in reality they aren't. In the end 4.2 million users isn't a huge number to anyone who wanted to fund a VR game (except Sony who wants to grow the platform), so you either have to budget your VR games very carefully or make them add on to already existing games.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
oof thats bad when you think about how the ps4 has sold 90+ million

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I know the State of Play presentation left a lot of people underwhelmed, but I personally liked that Sony highlighted just how much effort they're putting into backing their VR. Coming off the Vita and 3D gaming it's nice to see Sony actually committed to supporting VR.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, deserves every sale it can get. :)
Can't wait for PSVR2, that'll make a big jump next gen thanks to the new tech, more than traditional gaming.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The good news is that Sony invests surprisingly little in their VR projects and it's considered a passion project for them so support will continue. They arent losing money on it but it's not exactly making them money either.

But their budget for this whole venture is surprisingly conservative so hopefully in the long haul it pays off for them.

So basically invest now (while not losing money!) so that it hopefully pays off in 10-15 years?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Doesn't seem like a healthy number unless the attach rate is great. Hardware requires active users.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what I meant. Margin of error exists. If you say not every PS4 sold is a unique user (therefore not every sold PS4 is in the hands of an active user), then you can say the same with PSVR, where someone might've sold it or shelve it permanently. That would make every number meaningless, but in reality they aren't. In the end 4.2 million users isn't a huge number to anyone who wanted to fund a VR game (except Sony who wants to grow the platform), so you either have to budget your VR games very carefully or make them add on to already existing games.
My point was that % of the overall PS4 numbers is a dumb metric to begin with and 4.2 million being bigger than any other VR platform is the most important number.

It should be a no brainer to not be a CCP and go big budget on VR games when the platform isn't guaranteed to help you break even, but I don't know that there are devs being overly aggressive out there with their investment. Sony's using the success to court partners and getting stuff like Iron Man VR and their other games funded and made that may not otherwise exist without that success.

Dec 11, 2017
oof thats bad when you think about how the ps4 has sold 90+ million
It puts Sony in a weird spot for next gen. Will making PSVR a bigger focus on PS5 drive wider adoption, or will it blow up in their face like Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One? It's a gamble either way. I'm very curious to see if Sony doubles down or if they take a step back.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It puts Sony in a weird spot for next gen. Will making PSVR a bigger focus on PS5 drive wider adoption, or will it blow up in their face like Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One? It's a gamble either way. I'm very curious to see if Sony doubles down or if they take a step back.

Treat it just like they do now. Bundling PSVR2 with PS5 shouldn't even be on the table. That's at least $799 and that isn't attractive.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

Maybe but it's great compared to the competition.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Those Christmas bundles! For someone who's been wanting to buy one, but sort of wincing at the price for over a year, those 200 and $250 bundles were irresistible.

Oct 30, 2017
With the way people talk about the concern sales, it's almost like people forgot this thing cost $400 (just the headset) to $500 (with the needed camera and move controls) when released.

I mean, it cost me $900 for the Pro and PSVR when it released, and the cheapest was $700 if you got the regular PS4 with only the headset without the camera and Move controllers.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
PSVR has a high cost of entry and doesnt have a way of benefiting from smartphone promotions or trade-ins.

The 4.2 figure is true sell-through revenue and market penetration. It's the fastest selling VR device and should be at the Gear's numbers pretty soon provided PSVR maintains it's current selling pace.
It is very good for an expensive peripheral that costs as much as the console. It's more than the other VR headsets combined.
Oh is it? That means VR is not doing too hot in general, if even the leader VR headset has lackluster sales.