• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vita owner, how do you feel about Nintendo Switch?

• Switch is the worthy successo to Vita I was looking for

Votes: 445 42.5%
  • Love my Switch but Vita was a different thing

Votes: 317 30.3%
  • Loved PlayStation Vita, I don't like Nintendo Switch

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • Didn't like my Vita that much, love the Switch

Votes: 172 16.4%

• Total voters

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Loved the Vita. Happy with the Switch.

As a Vita owner, I really wish Switch had better online integration and trophy/achievement system/support. Vita was ahead of its time man.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I love my vita but probably because of all the old PS1 games I had as a kid and some killer new ones like Ollie Ollie or hotline Miami. I've had my switch for a while now, and the only game that grabbed me was three houses (man I wish they got more money and time to make a way deeper combat system). Botw was meh, Mario was ok, links awakening was a nice walk down memory lane but I was done in a day and a half, Mario Kart was such a waste of money on my end, the bayo pack was good, even though 1 has issues, 2 was close to perfect, sold smash so you can tell what I thought of that and currently playing ring fit and I like it. I'm def not the market for it, but I'll keep it around just in case (sometimes I feel like I should sell it).

Good piece of tech if they hadn't fucked up the sticks.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
At this point of its life the Vita had way more JP 3rd party titles I was interested in. My switch pretty much has the AAA stand outs and not much else.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the crazy thing is that I love the Switch. It's my current favorite console and I would even put it just above the Vita. It's just that some of the games it doesn't have are the ones that mean the most to me.

FFT and TO were basically my favorite video games and the Vita let me play the best versions of them, which is a big deal for me.

I think some people just can't help a console war, and I guess it's on me for not watching out for that.
So in the interest of finding common ground, I love Matsuno too and PSP did have the best versions of both those games (and yes both need remasters on all 3 consoles and PC asap). And there are definitely areas I think Switch could do better, relative to PSP and also other handhelds like DS or even 3DS. But really I just don't feel the Vita lineup makes that list, like about any game on Vita either has a comparable game, sequel or even the same game itself on Switch. Honestly Switch will have several answers for it too, that's often what happens when your library is already 3 times as large and just accelerating. RPGs just struck a chord because it's hard to even come up with more than a handful of properties from 3rd parties there on Vita but not Switch, while there's plenty examples going the other way. And first party wise, well that's a bloodbath. Maybe it's important I laid out my own position on this and should've done so earlier.

That said, I'm sorry if I was too heated in my responses and no hard feelings.

Last edited:

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I don't own a Vita but I know it's lineup very well and the Switch is almost the same but better in my mind, 90% of the interesting indie games have been ported + many more indie games that werent on the Vita, including some of higher budget, more or less 50% of the third party lienup has been ported and overall the Switch has just more games, of more genres and it's just better. And if it's for Sony games those were not very tipical, most were cartoony or anime games and thats what Nintendo has been releasing for the Switch, so it's not completely different, even for the PS1 games the Switch has been getting many of those lately.

I'm very surprised some people care sooooo much for achievements or built quality, which in the case of the Switch I don't think is bad or anything, some seem to care more about that than the actual games and I don't understand that, but thats just me.

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Idk, I have a vita. I liked it because of digital being good. I missed out on most the playstation library so having access to ps1 and psp games was neat.

I'll also say that I don't really have that many vita games. I liked the device more than games. Don't have a switch yet, but I probably will because I grew up on loving handhelds.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hated the original model Switch - I have tiny fingers and found it was way too big, heavy and bulky to use comfortably (and I never wanted to use it on a TV so didn't ever take the dock out of the box). It was basically my least favourite way to play games.

Thankfully the Switch Lite is much better - I wish it was smaller with symmetrical analogue sticks, I hate how awful the battery is in sleep mode, how it lacks things like trophies and there are some design decisions that really annoy me (like the headphone port being on the top) - but generally it's a massive improvement on the original model in pretty much every way.

As for the games - generally speaking 2017 and 2018 were pretty poor for me personally. Thankfully 2019 has been far better with plenty of visual novels, JRPGs, rhythm games, etc. I'm still pretty confused why there aren't more ports of Vita games or series brought over - I'd think it would be much easier to port a Vita game to a Switch than some of the PS4/XBO games that have been ported.

Honestly though, if I could only pick one of the wrong to have I'd still pick the Vita.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I dug up my PS TV a few hours ago. It wants to update the FW from lord knows what it's currently on.

Is there any reason not to? Thanks!

N3WTYPE

Oct 27, 2017
I own 10 visual novels on my Switch currently:

Ace Attorney Trilogy
If My Heart Had Wings
NG
YU-NO
Steins;Gate 0
Grisaia Trilogy
AI: The Somnium Files
Raging Loop
Worldend Syndrome
Planetarian

The only visual novel i had on my vita in its first 2-3 years in the market was Danganronpa 2.

Also, i can't think of a single big JRPG franchise that isn't on Switch: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Grandia, Star Ocean, Tales of, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Atelier, Ys, The Legend of Heroes (upcoming), SMT (upcoming), Yokai Watch, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Ni no Kuni... and niche JRPGs like Super Neptunia, The Caligula Effect...

Even then there are a lot of other titles coming like Tokyo Mirage Sessions/Langrisser/Xenoblade 1/Fairy Tail/FF Crystal Chronicles/the new Mana remake and many other games. JRPG is a very strong genre on Switch.

I wonder how it can have more than that, or maybe you aren't paying attention :P

Dunno why you made a fanboy list i know what the library is alot of these games are ports ive played on pc ,vita or ps4 already. I am super excited for #fe cause i skipped on wiiu and hoping smtv comes back to light soon.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I would look into hacking it instead.

That way you will be able to have a really good emulation machine and maybe even access to Vita games that are unplayable on it.

hmm, ok. I'll hold off for now and perhaps do some research. It's kind of amazing that my AVR immediately recognized it and properly displays "PS TV" on the panel.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally, Switch OG was too big to be a Vita replacement. But Switch Lite is much more comparable in size and comfortable to hold like the Vita.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dug up my PS TV a few hours ago. It wants to update the FW from lord knows what it's currently on.

Is there any reason not to? Thanks!
It depends on what you want to do with the system. I'm not familiar with the Vita modding community, but you most likely would be locked out of custom firmware and I know there's ways to make the Vita TV play all Vita game cartridges. If you update it, you may lose the ability to make it do that as that version of the system officially doesn't support all games.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
As a Vita owner it's frankly insulting to call the Switch a successor. The Vita is a massive failure with an incredibly niche library. The Switch has games that have outsold the entire userbase of the Vita.

The Switch is a fundamentally better idea for a console. It's more comfortable, it has all the buttons you'd ever need with no lame gimmicks like the rear touchpads. It had a better library in year one than the Vita did in its entire lifetime.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think Switch is a different thing / like it way less conceptually (a hybrid console feels like the worst of both worlds to me).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch should've been a handheld or a console, the combination of weak battery for handheld and weak specs for a console isn't a good compromise. It was l2 and r2 though so it's great

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of expensive hardware that's prone to failure, I've definitely gone through more drifting Switch controllers than defective Vita memory cards.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The Nintendo Switch is exactly what I am looking for as a follow up to Vita.
I would have bought a Vita-2 without much hesitation but Sony gave it up, so that's that.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Vita owner it's frankly insulting to call the Switch a successor. The Vita is a massive failure with an incredibly niche library. The Switch has games that have outsold the entire userbase of the Vita.

The Switch is a fundamentally better idea for a console. It's more comfortable, it has all the buttons you'd ever need with no lame gimmicks like the rear touchpads. It had a better library in year one than the Vita did in its entire lifetime.
Yeah no it didn't and it's definitely not more comfortable. The library of the vita is fantastic and yeah the switch has a good library but the vita deserves credit. I think your overestimating the switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
In terms of games, they are on a different league, with Switch stands far above Vita.

Form factor though... I must admit I like Vita somewhat more. More compact and more comfortable all around when playing outside (with better battery power too).

But all in all, since games are what matter the most, Switch >>>>>>>>>> Vita.

Edit: oh, the very expensive proprietary memory card for Vita really sucks too, so add a few >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to the above as well.

May 10, 2019
I liked the Vita, although not as much as the PSP. I love the Switch a whole lot more than both, but I'll also say that for me, it was getting a cheap PSTV and not a Switch that ultimately retired my Vita.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone at Sony is watching this thread, I think it'd be a goldmine to literally copy the Switch Lite in basic function and create the PS4 Go. 1440p screen, 500gb SSD, slight drop quality ps4 games on the go that can also plug into the big screen for real console play.

I think it'd sell like hotcakes if done right, cheap to get into everyones hands with access to the entire library of games already on the PSN store

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Switch. Vita was great and had some great games, but Switch is better. Only thing I really miss about Vita is that form factor (and PS+ games).

Switch gives a HD screen, proper R2/L2, more and better games, and imo a better portable console experience.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone at Sony is watching this thread, I think it'd be a goldmine to literally copy the Switch Lite in basic function and create the PS4 Go. 1440p screen, 500gb SSD, slight drop quality ps4 games on the go that can also plug into the big screen for real console play.

I think it'd sell like hotcakes if done right, cheap to get into everyones hands with access to the entire library of games already on the PSN store
sounds like a fire waiting to happen

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Love the vita switch is a disappointment for me very bad experience with the switch.

Feb 10, 2018
Switch is better, better screen, more powerful, proper analogs, multiplayer on the go, TV mode etc has better games to.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no it didn't and it's definitely not more comfortable. The library of the vita is fantastic and yeah the switch has a good library but the vita deserves credit. I think your overestimating the switch.
I bought a Vita day 1. That poster is right. The Vita was a failure for anything outside of niche Japanese titles and select indie games.

The Switch library absolutely trounces it when it comes to anything outside of those categories. Just looking at first party support on the two systems is absolutely crazy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love my Switch, and I love my Vita. They're both pretty awesome. Not to mention they're very different machines. My Vita library is massive in comparison, but I'm glad I have them both.

Dec 2, 2017

"Make the Switch Lite except with twice the resolution, 16x the storage, a processor that can run 4k but somehow without any heat problems. And also plz make the battery last more than 20 minutes so maybe 4x as large. Oh, and also add the video out the Switch Lite doesn't have thx. "

Yep, sounds super cheap to get into everyone's hands.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I chose option 2 but I would rephrase that I like the switch rather than love it, but I loved the vita. I adore the Wii and WiiU as well... the library just isn't really there for me from a first party perspective. It's a nice piece of hardware definitely and hopefully will evolve software-wise, but my least favorite Vita era was when it was just a port machine in it's late life cycle so I'm not a guy getting super excited about Switch ports at this point. The portability feature is just not that exciting, I would have taken a conventional gamecube like home console with a better first party library. Obviously nintendo has played their cards right, just IMO.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
One of them has a good dpad.

It's somehow not the one with Nintendo platformers.

B_Mild

Dec 1, 2017
I've had a switch for a few years and it's a great system.

Recently bought a vita last month and I'm going though a vita renaissance. It has some great games if you are into anime/jrpgs and some but fewer games if you're not. I find it also has a decent sports/racing collection as well like Virtua Tennis 4, WRC 4.

Also having a great time with MH clones like Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No poll option that fits me. I love Vita, enjoy Switch, but found it to be too big and not as comfortable so I ise it more as home console than portable.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
The Vita homebrew scene breathed such life back into the system that I'm almost playing that more than my Switch recently. Ergonomic wise the Switch is a little heavy but I still like playing it handheld and love playing with the Pro Controller.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It would be perfect if the dpad was better.

... And drift wasn't a "when."

And come to think of it, I've spent hundreds of hours on the extensive PS1 classics library (no whitelist situation in Japan), but the switch won't really every have that kind of classic selection, even with the sfc games available. I'm obsessed with old games, so that's kind of a big deal for me, but the switch obviously has a much better library of native switch games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Day 1 OLED Vita owner: currently playing Disega (sp), Steins:Gate, Helldivers, Killzone, Gravity Rush, & Uncharted

Workhorse, portable, trophies

Day 1 Switch owner: currently playing Luigi's Mansion, The Witcher 3

Somewhat more fragile, portable but mostly game at home, just as fun

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Absolutely adore my Vita. Not a fan of the Switch, honestly, but will have to buy it at some point because of exclusives such as Xenoblade and Deadly Premonition 2. The Switch finally made me understand people who beg for ports.