• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vita owner, how do you feel about Nintendo Switch?

• Switch is the worthy successo to Vita I was looking for

Votes: 445 42.5%
  • Love my Switch but Vita was a different thing

Votes: 317 30.3%
  • Loved PlayStation Vita, I don't like Nintendo Switch

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • Didn't like my Vita that much, love the Switch

Votes: 172 16.4%

• Total voters

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the Vita was a far superior portable console, with being one sturdy unit will no removable parts and an actual fucking dpad. Besides that I do feel they're pretty similar, and I like the option to play larger scale games on my TV.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I haven't gotten a Switch yet. It seems like a worthy alternative for the 3rd party games.

Hopefully I'll get one soon and report back.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I vastly preferred the Vita. The Switches tech has naturally advanced upon it but the Vita was just a heck of a lot more convenient to sue portably. It fit in my pocket so in school I could litteraly just pop it out during a quiet moment or two. Not only that but it has one of the best screens to ever exist. Indie games or highly stylised artstyles looked beautiful on it.

It was also built like a Tank and took all sorts of abuse, the Switch feels like it's gonna snap at the slightest provocation (it won't but it feels like it will).

But reality is reality, and they don't make games for the Vita anymore. Whereas Switch is getting games constantly and AAA at that.

So Switch it is.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Switch is awesome but I would rather have a new Vita (or an improved Switch):
- Better form factor, I basically want a switch light that docks.
- OLED
- Trophies

Of course Vita badly needed clicking sticks and triggers but otherwise I preferred it in most ways.

Oct 25, 2017
The switch isn't a replacement for the vita. Even if we ignore the fact that the primary use my vita gets now is to be a playstation one classics machine and the switch obviously doesnt meet that criteria, the switch is just too big to feel like a good handheld. It's battery life is all over the place and the joycons are garbage. The stick on it somehow feels worse and more inaccurate than the 3DS slide pad. The vita on the other hand has the best d-pad in a long time, and great analog sticks.

As a handheld the vita itself is actually more comfortable to play on.

Dec 2, 2017
Seriously? GBA/SNES d-pad being better than the Vita's? The vita has the GOAT d-pad. I've never used anything as good. I haven't tried a switch lite yet but from what you're saying it's not what I'm looking for.
Just a quick google search shows many complaints about diagonals on the switch lite d-pad.
Let me qualify my statement by reiterating I've had the system since last night.

But I'd put my experience with the SNES & GBA SP over the Vita. Not by any huge margin, I don't have anything bad to say about Vita's dpad. It's probably Sony's best. But fighting games are my dpad litmus test, and for sure they felt better on SNES than my Vita 1000.

I'll check back with how I feel about the Lite after I've put it through some more of its paces. Going to pick up King of Fighters and R-Type, which are as pure dpad-dependent experiences as there are.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Let me qualify my statement by reiterating I've had the system since last night.

But I'd put my experience with the SNES & GBA SP over the Vita. Not by any huge margin, I don't have anything bad to say about Vita's dpad. It's probably Sony's best. But fighting games are my dpad litmus test, and for sure they felt better on SNES than my Vita 1000.

I'll check back with how I feel about the Lite after I've put it through some more of its paces. Going to pick up King of Fighters and R-Type, which are as pure dpad-dependent experiences as there are.

Well, I'm at least happy you're enjoying it.

oscar

Developer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Fransokyo
I really like the switch. It's a solid system with a great library. There are a lot of points where I feel the Vita is superior (the actual build of the system, the network integrations and features), but the switch accomplishes what it aims to do and has that great Nintendo feel to things

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Cool. Wish it had more jrpgs and visual novels

I own 10 visual novels on my Switch currently:

Ace Attorney Trilogy
If My Heart Had Wings
NG
YU-NO
Steins;Gate 0
Grisaia Trilogy
AI: The Somnium Files
Raging Loop
Worldend Syndrome
Planetarian

The only visual novel i had on my vita in its first 2-3 years in the market was Danganronpa 2.

Also, i can't think of a single big JRPG franchise that isn't on Switch: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Grandia, Star Ocean, Tales of, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Atelier, Ys, The Legend of Heroes (upcoming), SMT (upcoming), Yokai Watch, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Ni no Kuni... and niche JRPGs like Super Neptunia, The Caligula Effect...

Even then there are a lot of other titles coming like Tokyo Mirage Sessions/Langrisser/Xenoblade 1/Fairy Tail/FF Crystal Chronicles/the new Mana remake and many other games. JRPG is a very strong genre on Switch.

I wonder how it can have more than that, or maybe you aren't paying attention :P

Last edited:

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I sold my Vita to buy my Switch, and I certainly miss it sometimes

Switch is awesome, but it's nowhere near as good to play as the Vita was. And Vita was a much more portable device.

It fit perfectly in my hands. And that screen was *chef kiss*

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I picked up a Vita cheap and thought it was a great little system,didn't really use it all that much though tbh.
I've got zero interest in Nintendo so the Switch may as well not exist for all I care.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch as a portable is something I'm not interested in buying. The ergonomics on the big switch are awful and the joycons are a massive wasted investment if you're really only interested in traditional games. Switch Lite is more appealing but with it still having analog drift issues DESPITE that being the one thing they should have fixed for a system where the controllers are not swappable. It's bananas.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a Switch (yet) but I do have my fair share of time with it as a friend loaned me the system for weeks and I tried the Switch Lite a bunch of times at stores. I guess I will vote "Love my Switch but Vita was a different thing" cause that's the closest one.

The Switch is nowhere near the Vita.

The library for the Vita was awesome and had tons of variety due to the fact it has PS1 and PSP backwards compability, what this means is that you will get so many hidden gems and unique games all in one. I also love the sales it used to get where you get so many games for cheap and thus you end up trying unique games you would never have tried before. Playing almost the whole MGS series (and the best ones at that) was great. I am currently replaying RE3 on it and I just love that I can play this game on the go and it feels amazing. The library of the Vita itself also had a lot of cool games like Murumasa Rebirth, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Tearaway and more that you can't play on anything else due to the unique content or the fact they never got rereleased. There is just so much variety in any genre you would want across all the platforms you can choose. The Dpad is the best dpad after the Saturn and I wish everyone would just rip it off and put it on everything. The whole device feels really premium and well put together. It looks nice, plays nice and just feels good.

The Switch however, succeeds but not in what I liked about the Vita . It shares some of the library of the Vita. It works well for indie and Nintendo games but due to how much the sales pale in comparision to how great the Vita sales were, I doubt I would get any of them once I do get a Switch. It feels very expansive and I don't see myself double dipping on any of the games it gets that are out on PS4 or buying as many Nintendo published games cause they almost never drop in price. What it succeeds at is the indie space and the AA Japanese games that the Vita used to get.

Now I am going to talk about the things I hated.

Lets start with the Vita:
-I hated the memory card bullshit sony forced on it. If they had just let us put Micro SD memory cards...
-The lack of support by Sony. The Vita somehow survived that and still lives to this day but the fact Sony never tried more with it sucked. It deserved much better.
-The lack of triggers and R3/L3s. This would have been great for remote play.

The Switch
-Lack of D pad and the D pad on the Lite sucks.
-Build quality feels to damn bad coming from the Vita. Both interms of looks and actual feel.
-Nintendo Online sucks.
-The price for games
-The Joycon drift (which to be fair to the Switch, happened on the Vita but was easily fixed by rotating the analog sticks for a couple of minutes while raising it).
-Really hard to carry around due to it's size and the Lite has the issue with drifting so it is a bit too risky to get one I feel.

So yeah, I would love a new Sony handheld that fixes the issues the Vita had but sadly I doubt it would happen. Will end up getting a Switch later down the line once I find a good deal on it.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They're the same thing, love both. People that hated Vita but love Switch are hypocrites. Yeah Sony shouldn't have done proprietary cards, but other than that they both offer the same thing; high end portable console gaming. Switch is only slightly more refined with it's HDMI-out dock and detachable controllers. For me I rarely detach the joycons so they don't do much for me. Same goes for back touch; kinda neat but rarely used.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
In hardware quality, the Vita is in another dimension. It's also amusing - and vindicating - to see so many jump on the bandwagon of "console type experiences and indie games on the go are appealing".

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
The genres I always preferred playing on the Vita are coming out on the Switch, so it is a successor in a important way.

Still, the Switch is just too heavy, and I'll always prefer the curved sides from the PSP and Vita to the form factor from any Nintendo portable besides the GBA (Gripcase helps but also adds some more to the weight). I'd try the Lite, but most of what I play doesn't support cloud saves, and I like playing docked too anyway.

And as a silly sidenote: I'd fancy a PS Remote Play app on the Switch (by legit means ofc).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Look, as I said in my first post, I really like the Switch ("worthy successor") and I think it will continue to get even better. There are just some games I really liked on the Vita that are not a part of "pretty much everything". It's subjective and personal. I complimented the system and said that I would like to see even more from it, so I'm not sure why I am getting pushback when I have already noted that we obviously prioritize different titles in our preferred libraries. I am glad it has the games you know and which matter most to you. That is good and often the case for me as well.

The games I had in mind were primarily certain SRPGs, MH clones, etc., that have yet to be ported to or given sequels on the Switch.
You're getting pushback because you pinpointed something in Switch's library as lacking but that really doesn't seem to be the case largely. Really the genre representation is so overwhelmingly lopsided in Switch's favor it comes off as a bizarre take and one that can't reasonably be couched in preference. It's like saying Saturn had a better RPG library than PS1, or PCE better than SNES, other than a handful of edge cases it's hard to honestly argue and it's maybe tougher in this case since Switch is even getting many of the same games and franchises? You mention diving deep into subgenres like TBS/SRPGs but most stuff releasing these days is there (Disgaea, Fire Emblem, SRT, Valkyria, Banner Saga, Langrisser, God Wars, Wargroove, Mario+Rabbids, etc, etc) and same for the big hunting games (God Eater, Monster Hunter, Dauntless). Like, what's really missing?

Dec 2, 2017
I definitely liked SS's take on MH better than MH itself. Streamlined and an atmosphere more my style.
Same tbh. I just found the game a bit grindy/repetitive and wish there was more to the environments. But maybe I just approached the game wrong. If I'd looked at it like a fighting game vs. giant bosses + lore instead of something trying to be an rpg without the dev budget for environments it might have clicked better for me.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're getting pushback because you pinpointed something in Switch's library as lacking but that really doesn't seem to be the case largely. Really the genre representation is so overwhelmingly lopsided in Switch's favor it comes off as a bizarre take and one that can't reasonably be couched in preference. It's like saying Saturn had a better RPG library than PS1, or PCE better than SNES, other than a handful of edge cases it's hard to honestly argue and it's maybe tougher in this case since Switch is even getting many of the same games and franchises? You mention diving deep into subgenres like TBS/SRPGs but most stuff releasing these days is there (Disgaea, Fire Emblem, SRT, Valkyria, Banner Saga, Langrisser, God Wars, Wargroove, Mario+Rabbids, etc, etc) and same for the big hunting games (God Eater, Monster Hunter, Dauntless). Like, what's really missing?
Clearly games that I care about? I would love to list off games like Freedom Wars, PS Nova, Soul Sacrifice, Toukidden, etc. for you but I really just don't feel like having you tell me why they don't matter or don't count. You need to find a way to not take the below post as an attack when it was clearly very far from one:
In terms of a library of great turn-based games, RPGs, etc. the Switch falls short, but as hardware it is a worthy successor. I hope to see the software put out for it rise to that level as well.
Worthy successor, falls a little short, hopeful for the future. I am not the person with whom you should be fighting.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
People that hated Vita but love Switch are hypocrites

Not really, since Switch would lose a lot of appeal without games like Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash and Pokemon. it does have those games plus almost everything that was on Vita.
On the other hand you can't dismiss the importance of those games in attracting big number of people. especially that in contrast, Sony supported Vita for like... only 2 years.

I also love the sales it used to get where you get so many games for cheap and thus you end up trying unique games you would never have tried before. Playing almost the whole MGS series (and the best ones at that) was great. I am currently replaying RE3 on it and I just love that I can play this game on the go and it feels amazing. The library of the Vita itself also had a lot of cool games like Murumasa Rebirth, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Tearaway and more that you can't play on anything else due to the unique content or the fact they never got rereleased. There is just so much variety in any genre you would want across all the platforms you can choose. The Dpad is the best dpad after the Saturn and I wish everyone would just rip it off and put it on everything. The whole device feels really premium and well put together. It looks nice, plays nice and just feels good.

If you ever decided to get one you will realize what you imagine right now is not true in the slightest. Indie publishers and other third parties do sales on Switch all the time, like any other platform even if Nintendo's sales are rare (and why does it matter that much? if you don't like a game you can sell it and it will fetch a good price), though I would say the quality of games is more important to decide first if you want to buy a gaming system or not. Switch does have unbelievable number of hidden gems across every single genre out there. D-Pad is also not really a problem, you can get a Switch Lite or Hori D-Pad accessory, if you really care that much about that.

-Build quality feels to damn bad coming from the Vita. Both interms of looks and actual feel.

Aside from the Joy-Con which i really don't like that much? no, it is a solid device.

It honestly feels like a lot of people here are too attached to a brand name more than anything else.

The games I had in mind were primarily certain SRPGs, MH clones, etc., that have yet to be ported to or given sequels on the Switch.

ٍSony funded some MH clones to fill in the gap of MH exclusivity on 3DS, now that there is no need for that even Sony isn't funding any sequels for those games, and GE3 is on Switch.

I don't know what you have in mind but there are several excellent SRPGs on the system like Into the Breach, Wargroove, The Banner Saga, Disgaea games, VK games, Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids, Civ6, and others but maybe it is missing games you like unfortunately.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony funded some MH clones to fill in the gap of MH exclusivity on 3DS, now that there is no need for that even Sony isn't funding any sequels for those games, and GE3 is on Switch.

I don't know what you have in mind but there are several excellent SRPGs on the system like Into the Breach, Wargroove, The Banner Saga, Disgaea games, VK games, Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids, Civ6, and others but maybe it is missing games you like unfortunately.
GE3 being on the Switch is fantastic, though I noted a few other clones I would have liked to see with it a couple post above. Even so, the Vita remains my favorite console at the moment.

That's honestly all I'm saying, is that some that I enjoyed have not come over, which is why I'm put off by the weird defense from this other user. Most of them are just older titles from the PSP library that were made available on the Vita.

I cannot say enough times that the switch is a great console.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is very much the Vita 2.0 to me. Similar design and games coming out for it, only with better third-party support and TV-out with the dock right out of the box. Love it. It sucks that Sony just gave up on the Vita, but after really not being that big on the DS and 3DS, the Switch has exceeded my expectations and is my favorite console this gen, easily.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I started to accept the Switch as a Vita successor after the Switch Lite, but the lack of several interesting features the Vita had are still missed.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Perfect successor to me as a hybrid is much more my style as I prefer gaming on TV, but do enjoy some portable play here and there. Nice not having to buy a separate console and handheld to play all Nintendo's games as well. They individually had long droughts for me with the games being split across platforms, but being all in one place I've mostly always been playing something on Switch (other than some slow months in 2018).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly games that I care about? I would love to list off games like Freedom Wars, PS Nova, Soul Sacrifice, Toukidden, etc. for you but I really just don't feel like having you tell me why they don't matter or don't count. You need to find a way to not take the below post as an attack when it was clearly very far from one:

Worthy successor, falls a little short, hopeful for the future. I am not the person with whom you should be fighting.
It's not that those games "don't count" but the genre is also well represented on Switch and with more popular titles too. You keep scaling back your initial statement and that's not gone unnoticed.

Also Phantasy Star isn't really a hunting game like MH and even then Switch has it too (PSO2).

Oct 27, 2017
If you ever decided to get one you will realize what you imagine right now is not true in the slightest. Indie publishers and other third parties do sales on Switch all the time, like any other platform even if Nintendo's sales are rare (and why does it matter that much? if you don't like a game you can sell it and it will fetch a good price), though I would say the quality of games is more important to decide first if you want to buy a gaming system or not. Switch does have unbelievable number of hidden gems across every single genre out there. D-Pad is also not really a problem, you can get a Switch Lite or Hori D-Pad accessory, if you really care that much about that.

Aside from the Joy-Con which i really don't like that much? no, it is a solid device.

It honestly feels like a lot of people here are too attached to a brand name more than anything else.
Things might change when I get it but what I have seen so far, by following the sales in my region is that they pale in comparsion to the Vita sales. They were much better on the Vita and this it was much easier to experiment and buy a game and try it out. Nintendo games being expansive as they are is hard enough risk to buy them as I might not like them. And sure, you can say you can sell them back but the entry point is way to expansive just to try it compared to paying five bucks on the Vita and trying a game out.

The D pad is an issue though. I tried the D Pad many times at different stores and it feels way worse than the Vita. You can't change it. No only that, when you factor in the Joycon drifting it gets much more risky to get a Lite cause you can't just replace the Joycon if Nintendo decides they don't want to fix it (I live in europe after all). And to be honest, having to pay extra for a good enough D Pad is a bad thing and is one of the reasons I haven't bit the bullet and got a Switch yet. It just doesn't feel solid and compared to the Vita it feels really cheap and Plastic.

As for your last sentance, are you implying that people who don't find the Switch to be flawless, fanboys?

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Also, i can't think of a single big JRPG franchise that isn't on Switch: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Grandia, Star Ocean, Tales of, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Atelier, Ys, The Legend of Heroes (upcoming), SMT (upcoming), Yokai Watch, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Ni no Kuni... and niche JRPGs like Super Neptunia, The Caligula Effect...

Even then there are a lot of other titles coming like Tokyo Mirage Sessions/Langrisser/Xenoblade 1/Fairy Tail/FF Crystal Chronicles/the new Mana remake and many other games. JRPG is a very strong genre on Switch.

I wonder how it can have more than that, or maybe you aren't paying attention :P

I was wondering the very same thing actually.

Switch is FULL of JRPGs.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
With Switch you can still get a decent dpad if you want. Buy a Lite or get a Hori Joycon, there are options.

With Vita there's no option for triggers or analog click. It's always going to be fundamentally gimped in the control department.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Things might change when I get it but what I have seen so far, by following the sales in my region is that they pale in comparsion to the Vita sales. They were much better on the Vita and this it was much easier to experiment and buy a game and try it out. Nintendo games being expansive as they are is hard enough risk to buy them as I might not like them. And sure, you can say you can sell them back but the entry point is way to expansive just to try it compared to paying five bucks on the Vita and trying a game out.

You are focusing too much on Nintendo's games here, sure they are expensive (and worth it for most cases in my opinion) but there are many other games on the platform, there is around 3000 games released on the eShop, and there are sales/discounts all the time. you can invest in Switch as a platform without ever getting a single Nintendo game if they don't interest you for one reason or another.

The D pad is an issue though. I tried the D Pad many times at different stores and it feels way worse than the Vita. You can't change it. No only that, when you factor in the Joycon drifting it gets much more risky to get a Lite cause you can't just replace the Joycon if Nintendo decides they don't want to fix it (I live in europe after all). And to be honest, having to pay extra for a good enough D Pad is a bad thing and is one of the reasons I haven't bit the bullet and got a Switch yet. It just doesn't feel solid and compared to the Vita it feels really cheap and Plastic.

I don't think offering an accessory to support a feature is a bad thing really, it is a good solution and it works for those who care enough about it.

Look who's talking buckaroo.

I did own and enjoy every single gaming system released in the last 15 year other than Xbox One which doesn't have a single exclusive i really want to play.

Oct 27, 2017
You are focusing too much on Nintendo's games here, sure they are expensive (and worth it for most cases in my opinion) but there are many other games on the platform, there is around 3000 games released on the eShop, and there are sales/discounts all the time. you can invest in Switch as a platform without ever getting a single Nintendo game if they don't interest you for one reason or another.

I don't think offering an accessory to support a feature is a bad thing really, it is a good solution and it works for those who care enough about it.
Everything as a whole is more expansive compared to the way the Vita sales were. Even if you ignore Nintendo games, this fact is still valid.

Accessories aren't a bad thing. That said, my point is that the D Pad along with the Joycon is one of the reasons that makes the device feel cheap. If you want to get a Lite, you will get a worse D Pad than the Vita and a risk of drifting that can't be fixed. If you get the original Switch then you don't have a D Pad and need to get a third party joycon (though I am not sure how good they are with drifting). The whole build quality just feels worse than the Vita and hence why it is one of the reasons I prefer the Vita.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that those games "don't count" but the genre is also well represented on Switch and with more popular titles too. You keep scaling back your initial statement and that's not gone unnoticed.

Also Phantasy Star isn't really a hunting game like MH and even then Switch has it too (PSO2).
I am not scaling anything back. I even just posted my original message in the post to which you just responded since you have made so much of my very simple point. There was nothing for you to "notice".

I have done my utmost throughout this to make it clear that this is not something about which there is any need for argument.

Different ideal libraries mean different opinions about the Switch's software offerings. What is so hard to accept about that? We value different games.

Edit: Seriously, just chill. I'm running out of different ways to say that I like different things than you do and I am not as determined to make this a fight as you might be. I thought the fact that I opened by saying I think the Switch is a worthy successor would deter some of this harassment.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
With Switch you can still get a decent dpad if you want. Buy a Lite or get a Hori Joycon, there are options.

With Vita there's no option for triggers or analog click. It's always going to be fundamentally gimped in the control department.

You can actually get one. Not clickable analogs but I would arghe this one is actually better.

There is another one that you can set up where it slightly touches the screen for the games that use the front touch screen on remote play. I can't find it though but it definetly exists.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I am not scaling anything back. I even just posted my original message in the post to which you just responded since you have made so much of my very simple point. There was nothing for you to "notice".

I have done my utmost throughout this to make it clear that this is not something about which there is any need for argument.

Different ideal libraries mean different opinions about the Switch's software offerings. What is so hard to accept about that?
From RPGs to SRPGs/MH clones to just the clones now. From Vita games to PSP games. You're full on goalposting here when pressed.

Look, you made an inaccurate claim, and one so wildly inaccurate that it's tough to shield it behind "opinion" and you got called on it. It doesn't matter that you said you like Switch and it's a worthy successor, the reality is you've said something strongly arguable on it's library and that was worth refuting.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Everything as a whole is more expansive compared to the way the Vita sales were. Even if you ignore Nintendo games, this fact is still valid.

Packaged software became more expensive than any handheld before due to higher costs, things are different now and 40$ wasn't really cutting it even on Vita (do you remember the studios Sony closed because their games failed on Vita?). But my point still stands that third party games and indies get discounts regularly on the European eShop as well as any other region, and they have deep discounts from time to time.

Accessories aren't a bad thing. That said, my point is that the D Pad along with the Joycon is one of the reasons that makes the device feel cheap. If you want to get a Lite, you will get a worse D Pad than the Vita and a risk of drifting that can't be fixed. If you get the original Switch then you don't have a D Pad and need to get a third party joycon (though I am not sure how good they are with drifting). The whole build quality just feels worse than the Vita and hence why it is one of the reasons I prefer the Vita.

I think build quality is an issue with the Lite especially with them using different manufacturers to produce different parts with varying qualities, i really dislike that. but like i said, the main device is solid and aside from the drift there is really nothing wrong with it. i expect it to last me as long as any other gaming system I've owned before if not more. and it is not like Vita didn't face any quality issues, many people were criticizing the screen's poor longevity when the device first came out, my Vita had a burn-in and the screen isn't the same as it used to be some years ago, i prefer LCDs for my handhelds as i keep playing them many, many years after the end of their lifespan. i still play my DS regularly without any issues or fear that the screen will fail me.

Same, including Xbox One, so I win

... Ok :P

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
I like both but man, my Vita was my favorite console. Such an amazing piece of hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Packaged software became more expensive than any handheld before due to higher costs, things are different now and 40$ wasn't really cutting it even on Vita (do you remember the studios Sony closed because their games failed on Vita?). But my point still stands that third party games and indies get discounts regularly on the European eShop as well as any other region, and they have deep discounts from time to time.

I think build quality is an issue with the Lite especially with them using different manufacturers to produce different parts with varying qualities, i really dislike that. but like i said, the main device is solid and aside from the drift there is really nothing wrong with it. i expect it to last me as long as any other gaming system I've owned before if not more. and it is not like Vita didn't face any quality issues, many people were criticizing the screen's poor longevity when the device first came out, my Vita had a burn-in and the screen isn't the same as it used to be some years ago, i prefer LCDs for my handhelds as i keep playing them many, many years after the end of their lifespan. i still play my DS regularly without any issues or fear that the screen will fail me.
I am not saying that sales on Switch don't exist. My point is that the Vita prices were much lower so I took more risks buying games on it cause they were really cheap. On the Switch so far, I feel it haven't hit that point even when it comes to indies.

I am not sure what studio you are talking about but I definetly know Sony were closed studios (not just on Vita, but on PS3 and 4 as well).

As for the build quality. We will have to agree to disagree. I use the Vita 2000 and to me that model is perfection. Good battery life, great buttons, uses mobile chargers and has an LCD screen that looks good. When I compare it to the Switch Original or the Lite it feels way better in everything when it comes to build quality.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is amazing and the first party lineup alone is way better than the Vita's. The only problem is that the the third party exclusive line up is not as good as any Nintendo/Sony handheld (Besides the Vita of course) before it. As far as the console itself, I wish it was a bit closer to the size of the Vita. The Switch Lite is just an inch or 2 too big and it still kind of bothers me.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch prices are higher in some cases but they're also largely for games Vita wasn't getting at all: Nintendo games and 3rd party AAA downports and multiplats. For remasters, indie or niche stuff there's very much price parity between Vita and Switch, both MSRP and sales.