• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Now this.This is stupidity with a brand. Vs what was said by Sony today.

how is this tweet still not down?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Ya can't win on ERA. Ignore = vile corporation. Say something = vile corporation. Ya'll just need any reason to turn a thread into a passive-aggressive, exhausting battle within a maximum of two pages. Even THIS, quite the achievement.

almost always the case

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony does not have a single black person as a main character of a 1st party game on PS3, PS4 or announced for PS5, aside from Miles Morales who was already a popular Marvel character.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I couldn't find anyone in any list I could find. (Edit: Starhawk!)

Last edited:

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I'm very curious as to what Black people think of this, not so much the white saviors who may be complaining. As a minority person(but not Black), I think the statement is fine. It's the bare-minimum but it's better than silence lol. It's just whatever.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Sony does not have a single black person as a main character of a 1st party game on PS3, PS4 or announced for PS5, aside from Miles Morales who was already a popular Marvel character.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I couldn't find anyone in any list I could find. (Edit: Starhawk!)
What games are allowed to count? Sports games? Fernando Tatis, Jr and Jackie Robinson are cover athletes for MLB The Show 21 along with various others in previous years. Multiplayer games like Destruction AllStars? The character on the cover is a black woman that's in the game and the cast is very diverse.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What games are allowed to count? Sports games? Fernando Tatis, Jr and Jackie Robinson are cover athletes for MLB The Show 21 along with various others in previous years. Multiplayer games like Destruction AllStars? The character on the cover is a black woman that's in the game and the cast is very diverse.
Black athletes are not PlayStation characters, lol

I haven't played DAS but I was under the impression that any story elements to constitute a main character were either minimal or non existent

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Robinson definitely doesn't count as a Sony first party character.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's always good to see how Sony react to this. They've always been the first to come forward. The others are usually silent, in fact.

To those who are cynical of this, every little thing matters, even if it's just a "corporate PR". At least they've been consistent.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ya can't win on ERA. Ignore = vile corporation. Say something = vile corporation. Ya'll just need any reason to turn a thread into a passive-aggressive, exhausting battle within a maximum of two pages. Even THIS, quite the achievement.

Pretty much. But with these sorts of things, more coverage and exposure to these issues is always better, PR or not.

Saying that, it's not exactly completely free PR either, since it'll still anger a crap load of racists and alt-right wingers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They are doing many things:

www.resetera.com

[SIE Blog] Inside Sony Interactive Entertainment: Black@PlayStation

Check out the rest of the blog post through the link below, it's a great read. Source: SIE Blog
They did this in February 2021.
www.sie.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment Announces Strategic Partnerships to Support Black Communities

In June 2020, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) committed $1 million to invest in and support organizations focused on social justice, education, and economic empowerment to address racial inequality. Today SIE announces four new partnerships with national organizations dedicated to providing...

SIE also did this last June, right after postponing their PS5 event.
www.cnet.com

Sony resets PS5 games event for June 11, promises $1 million to black causes

Sony will show off new games for its PlayStation 5, launching in the fall. The event had been delayed to allow more focus on George Floyd protests.

And, while not PlayStation, Sony Music did this last year as well.
www.sonymusic.com

SONY MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCES $100 MILLION GLOBAL SOCIAL JUSTICE FUND - Sony Music

New York, June 5, 2020 – Sony Music Group today announced the launch of a $100 million fund to support social justice and anti-racist initiatives around the world. The Company, inclusive of all of its recorded music and content divisions and music publishing company, will immediately begin to...

Those are actually good examples , I stand (somewhat) corrected . I hope they can do more and I hope you understand my cynical look at these things by default.

Anyway it was a good day for justice overall.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Something HAS to change. Sony has a huge platform and burying their heads on such an important moment would be doing disservice. All the "lol ok mega corporation" posts can fuck right off.

In the words of RATM, "It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime, what better place than here, what better time than now?"

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Usually I'd be pretty skeptical of brands trying to jump on situations like this for PR, but at this point society needs all the help it can get normalizing basic values.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I definitely appreciate Sony putting their money where their mouth is

But like others have said, I long for the day where an African American character original character from one of their major studios graces a game cover.

Games like Deathlop and Forespoken are definitely good steps but they aren't from their studios. ND can definitely stand to do better with their representation of black characters. And I say all this as a black man.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Sony needs more diversity in their games and for the people making them.

This statement and todays events don't have much to do with video games.

-black person

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Something HAS to change. Sony has a huge platform and burying their heads on such an important moment would be doing disservice. All the "lol ok mega corporation" posts can fuck right off.

In the words of RATM, "It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime, what better place than here, what better time than now?"

ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW

RATM lights a fire in me like none other. This feels like the time to have a strong resurgence in protest music. It may feel empty to some with millionaire musicians being a mouthpiece, but certain anthems can have a tangible power and inspiration.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
In Dreams the campaign they created called Art's Dream had a black man as the lead, and yes he was voiced by a black man.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Whataboutism
Amazing to see people giving credit to a company who benefits from slave work. There is pinned thread if you all need more info. All consoles and PC gaming are benefiting from it. Until we see change in all senses, this messages by all pc and consoles manufacturers are just hollow messages.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with some of ya'll? They've been doing this for quite some time. It's a nice "fuck you" to the racist assholes out there as well.

This should always be applauded. No company is perfect, but why shit on them for not being silent on this? Era, man...

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Whataboutism; Attempted Thread Derail; Account in Junior Phase
I am always skeptical about these statements. It's easy for so many big companies to say they support BLM but refuse to say anything in regards to issues relating to Hong Kong and Uyghurs. Presumably because supporting the latter would result in damage to the brand as evidenced by what happened recently to Nike which I linked below.

This all makes me wonder, if supporting BLM resulted in a loss of business would companies like Sony continue to voice their support? Is this what people refer to as "performative wokeness" or does that have a different definition? Why does Sony continue to have their products made by slave labor if they truly care about human rights?

Would this mean that Sony is using BLM as a marketing tool to further their image? That would seem incredibly selfish to use pain and suffering for such purpose.

www.cnbc.com

Citi downgrades Nike, says China backlash could hurt stock in near term

Citi downgraded Nike to neutral from buy on Tuesday.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I wonder if they would have said anything if the verdict had gone the other way.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly been pleasantly surprised with how good they've been about handling the protests. Not just with Tweets but also with donating millions towards them. It may look like pandering to some but I feel that, at least for many within the company, it is genuine and I'll applaud that

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
soooo how many posters ITT who are upset with this are black?

or is this one of those cases of white people getting upset on behalf of black people again?

because I'm betting its the latter.
This is what I'm wondering. Black folks are absolutely entitled to feeling burned out on support from corporations, especially after all the black squares last year. But I wonder how many of the posts in this thread are that.

While this tweet and all the other steps that Sony have taken to support the Black community and fight against racial injustice doesn't erase anything wrong they've done and continue to do, it's something I absolutely do appreciate it. As a Black person who has bought numerous PlayStation systems (and just a member of the gaming community in general), I think Sony being outspoken on this is a net positive and just generally the right thing to do. I also would not be surprised if this was something backed by their Black employees, like the Pokémon statement was. Speaking of which, I'm sure this is something their Black employees greatly appreciate too.

Oct 12, 2020
Like others already said, just statements and even charity (since they get a tax return and it will always be used as marketing money) isn't worth any applause. It is the pure minimum and it highlights all the times, where a company ignores important issues, especially which they even have a more direct connection to them.

A company is worth of applause for all the intern stuff they doing: Hiring people of color, woman and other minorties in high positions, paying enough, a safe workspace, supporting there workers, allowing unions, try to uphold human rights in any countries, using environment friendly technology, etc. All of those unflashy topics are much more important.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I am always skeptical about these statements. It's easy for so many big companies to say they support BLM but refuse to say anything in regards to issues relating to Hong Kong and Uyghurs. Presumably because supporting the latter would result in damage to the brand as evidenced by what happened recently to Nike which I linked below.

This all makes me wonder, if supporting BLM resulted in a loss of business would companies like Sony continue to voice their support? Is this what people refer to as "performative wokeness" or does that have a different definition? Why does Sony continue to have their products made by slave labor if they truly care about human rights?

Would this mean that Sony is using BLM as a marketing tool to further their image? That would seem incredibly selfish to use pain and suffering for such purpose.

www.cnbc.com

Citi downgrades Nike, says China backlash could hurt stock in near term

Citi downgraded Nike to neutral from buy on Tuesday.
This is a very complex topic because of course Sony is saying it to some extent to get positive PR. Statements such as this are put through many layers of approval and if it was going to significantly impact their bottom line they would keep their mouth shut as a corporation. At the end of the day they still answer to shareholders. That being said, praising companies that do the right thing time and again should be done as it keeps them doing the right thing and pressures others to do the same and helps if ever so slightly push the culture around us in a positive direction.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with some of ya'll? They've been doing this for quite some time. It's a nice "fuck you" to the racist assholes out there as well.

This should always be applauded. No company is perfect, but why shit on them for not being silent on this? Era, man...
IDK, because it comes off as using a tragedy and
injustices as a way to market their product. It feels different when there is a name, like if Jim Ryan himself tweeted this out. Using a marketing account with no face or name behind it feels hollow and opportunistic.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Miles Morales?
Uncharted Lost legacy?
6b085a8bedd540b448a0191c2e612902.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
IDK, because it comes off as using a tragedy and
injustices as a way to market their product. It feels different when there is a name, like if Jim Ryan himself tweeted this out. Using a marketing account with no face or name behind it feels hollow and opportunistic.

Everyone knows who PlayStation is and will pay attention when they have something to say. Comparatively few know who Jim Ryan and therefore care what he has to say.

The PlayStation name and platform is their strongest, loudest voice, not one of their executives so why not utilize it to get a message out to as many as possible?