• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I dont understand why some guys do not kike this. Remember playstation can reach a lot of kids and things like this can impact their life positive when a family is full of retards with primitive mindset. More than actually sony give more than just a tweet. They actually delayed the ps5 annoucement. Unless you are a racist in closet, is something to be happy about.
This is a very unfortunate typo.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Sony gets a lot of crap for some of their policies, like BC and game preservation. And most of that is deserved. But they deserve a lot of credit for being very active in these Social issues and always saying the correct things. I don't feel anyone has to twist their arm either, they seem pretty quick and on top of it. That is refreshing. So props to them and props to get a good portion of the industry also saying and doing the right things. Of course they should but I'm glad they do.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Some posts on the first page read like parody. Great message. Sony isn't Ben & Jerry, but the company has been making strides.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Miles is great to see, but I want to see more representation, especially new IPs with original characters.
I'd love to take this moment to talk about Starhawk and Emmet Graves as a POC main character in an original IP. Fantastic underrated game. Please play it on PS3. It also be great to get remasters of it and Warhawk on PS4/5 or at least PS Now.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Just checked Gaf's comments... Era messed up.

Good on Sony for speaking on this. ✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿

Mar 18, 2020
I'm not surprised that gamers, even the supposedly more informed ones that post on Era, fail to realize that there are black people (and genuinely involved non-black people) who work at Sony and both have input into and benefit from these unequivocal declarations of support.

Can't we just say that yes, this is a good thing to post and it's wonderfull Sony put its money where its mouth is whilst also acknowledging that this is a multi-billion dollar company that's using this to score points?

Seriously people, they don't cancel each other out.

It actually does. Your own statement is contradictory.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
As excited as I was for their June PS5 event, they were indeed correct to push it back a week or two. At the time, it just didn't feel right to talk about the future of video games while the country was in shock.
They done the right thing from the start, glad to see it was not just for show, they actually stuck to it.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately it's a *brand* but it's far better they say this rather than not.

Yeah, the backlash about companies posting these things goes too far sometimes. I personally enjoy it when companies tell me they don't hate me in June every year. Could they do more? Always. Is it better than the alternative? Always.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Props to Sony for the support. At least their PR game is better than...others.
Honest question - Would it be out of touch if they said: "We Can Breath"?
if so, then I will always ask someone before tweeting this kind of thing :S
At least you're willing to ask and think about what you're saying before doing so, so thank you for that. But like everyone else said, its a very tone deaf, if not offensive, move.

Deleted member 93805

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I'd like to see companies commit to and demonstrate the hiring of more black people in leadership roles. It's easy for companies to hire POC in entry or mid level roles just so they can tout diversity, but they rarely are given the opportunity to move up.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Chloe has an Indian background.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find anything about her actor being Indian? (As someone who also has Indian heritage this double stings).

I don't want to discuss this further because it's derailing from the focus of the thread, but Naughty Dog games are just about the last thing I'd bring up for good representation.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome to see.

Yea, it does seem Sony has been somewhat pro-active in this respect, and I hope it continues, and simultaneously continues to rile up all those racist gamers who can go fuck themselves.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Miles is great to see, but I want to see more representation, especially new IPs with original characters.
There was also Delsin from Infamous back at the start of the gen. Personally I think Sony been pretty good with representation in their games compared to a lot of other companies.

Anyhoo, good on Sony. Glad to see they didn't put their foot in their mouths with their statement like that Raiders tweet and some other folks. Sheesh.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find anything about her actor being Indian? (As someone who also has Indian heritage this double stings).

I don't want to discuss this further because it's derailing from the focus of the thread, but Naughty Dog games are just about the last thing I'd bring up for good representation.

Chloes father is Indian and she was raised in Australia. The actor Claudia Black is also Australian but I don't know more about her ancestry.

I'm also of Indian ancestry and I was pleased to see some form of representation in a big budget game. There aren't a massive amount of Indian folk who make it into video games, let alone as a leading role

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I always love the "stick to ______ instead of politics" a lot of companies and celebrities get blasted with by nobodies. I have to ask what do *you* do that makes you so uniquely qualified to stake an opinion on these matters?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
lol this thread is actually managing to come off worse then the twitter thread as of this posting.

Having flashbacks of that 'Sony don't attend PAX due COVID' thread. Some of the replies were worse than twitter.

On-Topic: This is good, and Sony seems to put money where its mouth is. Still have long ways to go on representation (can I have a latino character that doesn't speak horrible broken Spanglish, please?), but this is something good.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I understand the cynical perspective of having brands take PR advantage of sensitive subject matters, but another part of me recognizes that Sony has done good philanthropy for the Black community, which makes this seem more sincere than other brands that are more exploitative.
Plus, game companies have been silent on these societal topics for far too long and it needs to change since they can help these communities a lot with messages, money, and initiatives to affect change within their ranks.

Similar things happened during the big rise in Anti-Asian attacks in the US with many publishers and developers:

www.resetera.com

Publishers and Developers speaking out and donating against Anti-Asian American and Pacific Islander attacks and hate

I'm curious to see who all posts and even donates towards these causes since it's an important topic for this industry that is deeply intertwined with these Asian communities both in their home countries and around the world.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Sony's made some moves that can be accounted for. I'll give them credit for that

But I still demand more

I demand more visible black faces in higher positions of power within the company

I demand more social programs that can incorporate more diverse people into the gaming industry

I also demand that Sony actually take the time to sit with their dev teams and actually take a look at projects to find problematic material

I understand that the game released before the nonsense, but it's hard to square their statements when they let Naughty Dog commit such a fantastic blunder with the Nadine casting

And as much as they wave TLOU2 around as their big bad title, what have they done to combat or even ACKNOWLEDGE the racism that's found within the games contexts

Basically, the corporate word sauce don't mean shit if you haven't even had a real honest discussion with how Naughty Dog can clean up their blind racism

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't want to offend anyone or shit on your parade but I take these twwits as insincere as they come. Social justice causes are not fought in twitter but with actual tangible actions that are aimed to provoke a change.

These big, shitty corporations couldn't care less about equality and so forth, they are just riding the wave according to their best interests.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a nice message, but how are they "addressing racial inequity and driving meaningful change"? Alright, they tweeted about the George Floyd murder... cool? What are they actually doing, though?

EDIT:

They are doing many things:

www.resetera.com

[SIE Blog] Inside Sony Interactive Entertainment: Black@PlayStation

Check out the rest of the blog post through the link below, it's a great read. Source: SIE Blog
They did this in February 2021.
www.sie.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment Announces Strategic Partnerships to Support Black Communities

In June 2020, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) committed $1 million to invest in and support organizations focused on social justice, education, and economic empowerment to address racial inequality. Today SIE announces four new partnerships with national organizations dedicated to providing...

SIE also did this last June, right after postponing their PS5 event.
www.cnet.com

Sony resets PS5 games event for June 11, promises $1 million to black causes

Sony will show off new games for its PlayStation 5, launching in the fall. The event had been delayed to allow more focus on George Floyd protests.

And, while not PlayStation, Sony Music did this last year as well.
www.sonymusic.com

SONY MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCES $100 MILLION GLOBAL SOCIAL JUSTICE FUND - Sony Music

New York, June 5, 2020 – Sony Music Group today announced the launch of a $100 million fund to support social justice and anti-racist initiatives around the world. The Company, inclusive of all of its recorded music and content divisions and music publishing company, will immediately begin to...

Narrator, with Ron Howard's voice:
"They did a lot of things"

Last edited:

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to offend anyone or shit on your parade but I take these twwits as insincere as they come. Social justice causes are not fought in twitter but with actual tangible actions that are aimed to provoke a change.

These big, shitty corporations couldn't care less about equality and so forth, they are just riding the wave according to their best interests.

They have taken steps. Just scroll down the first page a bit and you will see that.

Can they, along with other firms, do more? Absolutely. But you can't allude to insincerity by default when they have shown actions to back their statements. Let's hope they continue to do more and improve. Like any firm.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It's a nice message, but how are they "addressing racial inequity and driving meaningful change"? Alright, they tweeted about the George Floyd murder... cool? What are they actually doing, though?

www.resetera.com

Check out the rest of the blog post through the link below, it's a great read. Source: SIE Blog

Oct 27, 2017

www.sie.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment Announces Strategic Partnerships to Support Black Communities

In June 2020, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) committed $1 million to invest in and support organizations focused on social justice, education, and economic empowerment to address racial inequality. Today SIE announces four new partnerships with national organizations dedicated to providing...

www.cnet.com

Sony will show off new games for its PlayStation 5, launching in the fall. The event had been delayed to allow more focus on George Floyd protests.

www.sonymusic.com

New York, June 5, 2020 – Sony Music Group today announced the launch of a $100 million fund to support social justice and anti-racist initiatives around the world. The Company, inclusive of all of its recorded music and content divisions and music publishing company, will immediately begin to...

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Every piece of support is welcome. Good on them for working to normalize this in the gaming community.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

www.resetera.com

www.sie.com

www.cnet.com

www.sonymusic.com

Alright, that's what I like to see. Scrolled too fast and missed that DiipuSurotu post that was quoted earlier on the page.

Then yeah, keep on chugging, Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is actually doing shit to back up their talk but okay all the snarky "thanks corporate entity" bullshit replies that don't bother to actually read what they do are fine too I guess

Mar 18, 2020
Gonna be honest, I don't give a solid fuck about whether or not non-black people want to clown this.

I do agree that Sony needs to not only show initiative internally, but also with studios they finance. The point about Naughty Dog is especially true.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but they donated you see, they're in the clear now and no longer contribute to or benefit from any of the systemic issues that this verdict does not even begin to address. It's not fair to them for you to say this.

How else does one change the system then if you don't start by changing things in your wheelhouse? This always cynical bullshit doesn't change anything either

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's made some moves that can be accounted for. I'll give them credit for that

But I still demand more

I demand more visible black faces in higher positions of power within the company

I demand more social programs that can incorporate more diverse people into the gaming industry

I also demand that Sony actually take the time to sit with their dev teams and actually take a look at projects to find problematic material

I understand that the game released before the nonsense, but it's hard to square their statements when they let Naughty Dog commit such a fantastic blunder with the Nadine casting

And as much as they wave TLOU2 around as their big bad title, what have they done to combat or even ACKNOWLEDGE the racism that's found within the games contexts

Basically, the corporate word sauce don't mean shit if you haven't even had a real honest discussion with how Naughty Dog can clean up their blind racism
Just curious but what is racist about Last of Us 2?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just curious but what is racist about Last of Us 2?
www.resetera.com

Naughty Dog's Anti-Blackness (TLOU2 Spoilers)

Months ago, I had a single thought which I spoke of half-jokingly. And I really hoped it wouldn’t be true this time around. Oh my sweet summer child, it was all of them Now I’m positive I wasn’t the only Black person who had this thought in the back of their mind before they started the...
Of course, Sony is doing good work regarding Black Lives Matter. It's just that Naughty Dog has a lot of improving to do.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Naughty Dog's Anti-Blackness (TLOU2 Spoilers)

Months ago, I had a single thought which I spoke of half-jokingly. And I really hoped it wouldn’t be true this time around. Oh my sweet summer child, it was all of them Now I’m positive I wasn’t the only Black person who had this thought in the back of their mind before they started the...
Of course, Sony is doing good work regarding Black Lives Matter. It's just that Naughty Dog has a lot of improving to do.
Thanks for the link. Makes me wanna try this game even less. Hopefully they improve in the future.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Using a sensitive thread to continue a very long history of platform wars and trolling
Now this is the only messaging and dominating of the news cycle I could give two fucks about.