• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't' see the issue here. If you don't think Part I is worth 70 bucks then just wait until it reaches the price you're comfortable paying for it or don't buy it at all. If you think this remake shouldn't have been made in the first place then sorry, but there's nothing we can do about it. Right or wrong, Sony and ND made that decision. What we can decide is when or if to buy. My decision is to wait for a deep sale on PC.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I think Part 1 is indeed 20 bucks above what it should be, but it's funny that the only media that causes this whole discussion is video games.

People don't complain that they need to buy a movie again when it releases in a new media (VHS > DVD > BD > 4K), or complain when a movie gets released in theaters. Imagine an uproar demanding discounted tickets: "I already watched the movie!"

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
What's worth the price is going to vary from person to person. So trying to make some sort of definitive statement that something is worth it or not is just your opinion. So what can you really do? All you can do is wait.

Nobody is saying that your opinion is invalid, or that remakes are immune to scrutiny. Nor does it shrug off any criticism. Your opinion on the value of the game is valid.
Hell.. more than half of the current userbase on the PS5 probably won't even buy the game! You'll be in the majority here. Rest easy.

Your opinions are noted. Just as those who are going to buy the game on Day 1.

If Sony charged $500 for the remake, virtually nobody would buy it or see the value in it. They would be forced to cut the price to an adequate market rate to hit sales targets.

Like with any other entertainment product I've ever consumed.. If I don't see the value, I take my time and attention elsewhere. And if there are enough people in my same boat, the prices will reduce to my perceived value.
You didn't acknowledge a single point I made. Awesome.

Pricing and value doesn't just come down to subjective opinion, sorry. And even if if did, that would have no barring on the conversation.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Yet another pricing argument. I am happy about the remake AND I am not going to buy it on Day 1. I played TLOU only once long back so personally I am very excited and delighted we will have a current gen version to play. As for waiting for discount, its not exactly a story which is going to be spoiled or whatever.

In a random matter, I found I somehow have Far Cry 6 license. I had redeemed the trial last weekend on PS4 (on a whim, my friend has the PS5 disc anyway if I ever got the urge to play), and on PS5 the actual license is showing. No trial, nothing. Weird.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am glad that after a massive thread discussing the pricing where everyone argued and bickered and nothing actually happened, we have now brought the discussion into here. Why can't we argue about something we never talk about.

Like Bloodborne. Or Order 1887.

Oct 30, 2017
You didn't acknowledge a single point I made. Awesome.

Pricing and value doesn't just come down to subjective opinion, sorry. And even if if did, that would have no barring on the conversation.
Value is always going to be subjective.

I can consider this an experience to be worth my money. This will be a far more enjoyable and polished game than 99% of experiences on the market and I am willing to pay for it. You aren't. And you don't see to be taking it well that you might have to wait for a price more suited to your tolerance.

The market will speak. If sales are slow at $70, they will come down. And they might have to recalibrate in the future. You're only one person. If there are enough of you, Sony may look at future similar projects are adjust prices in the future.

Until then, you trying to determine the value of this game and make some objective point about it is pointless.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
EA releases yearly full priced versions of FIFA and Madden. Each year has minor improvements yet the games still sell like crazy. If there's an audience that wants to pay full price for those games then EA's pricing is actually spot on.

Isn't TLOU also lot more cutscene heavy than Dead Space or RE4? I'd think remaking those is quite expensive in terms of required resources, time and development. We should also not forget it includes Left Behind and for the PC audience it will be a brand new game. Didn't Sony just release the Spiderman PS5 remaster on PC for full price?

I think Sony is also going for the "Witcher effect" with this remake and Part II. When the Netflix show released there was a huge insurgence in sales of the Witcher games. You can bet on it once folks watch the HBO Last Of Us show, there will be a new audience that might be interested in picking up those games or even purchase a PS5.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city
honestly because you all have been and continue to be wildly irrational about what happened and how it happened and i will continue To call it out esp as asobi rises To be even better than what it was.
I saw that avatar and started reading your post in Joe Bidens voice while picturing the dark brandon memes and videos🤣. Also I agree with all points made in your post.

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna need this one explained to me tbh
Entertainment fortunately is just entertainment and is not super important in the grand scheme of things.

Which is why pricing can really just be left up to the market to speak. The value of something is certainly in the eyes of the beholder.

If my monthly entertainment budget for example is $200 and I have X amount of hours to game per month, I'd much rather put that $70 toward TLOU Pt 1 in my limited time to game over many many other similarly priced or cheaper titles.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
So yeah, has anyone noticed that Cory Barlogs name looks a bit like Balrog?? Cool, right???

Oct 30, 2017
The words 'objective' and 'worth' are incompatible in this sentence.

I honestly don't know what has happened to this OT, and to ResetEra in general.

What the fuck is wrong with people?
Some meta discussion about trying to assign some objective moral value to a video game on a forum with wildly different viewpoints and opinions is just annoying.

It's not enough to find a game to be not worth it, it's important that others be forced to see things the same way. This forum would just be a lot better if people just weren't so pushy with their opinions on things.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Value is always going to be subjective.

I can consider this an experience to be worth my money. This will be a far more enjoyable and polished game than 99% of experiences on the market and I am willing to pay for it. You aren't. And you don't see to be taking it well that you might have to wait for a price more suited to your tolerance.
By this logic, price gouging doesn't exist. As I mentioned before, it's not 100% subjective. Market value is absolutely a thing that exists, and qualitative aspects and production costs also go into it. In this case, we also have prior releases to compare it to. And it's absolutely open for criticism and discussion.

It's subjective to say that medication is overpriced in the United States or that the remake objectively isn't worth $900000000.

The words 'objective' and 'worth' are incompatible in this sentence.

I honestly don't know what has happened to this OT, and to ResetEra in general.

What the fuck is wrong with people?
640px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

amara

Nov 23, 2021
With Sony's obsession with graphics I don't believe they would have let TLOU be ported to pc without the remake so I'm okay with it. Same reason I believe Bloodborne will likely get a remake, not that it needs it

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
People think everything is about them or made for them, the reality alot of new people will be able to play this game now thanks to ND adding all those new accessibility features which is on of the major reasons why they went for the remake.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Several of us have already given solid explanation for why $70 is ridiculous in this case. Your willingness to buy it despite the price might be subjective, but qualitative aspects, and things like market value and net worth absolutely exist. As does discourse surrounding it. You guys are essentially arguing "It's just all 100% subjective, there's no sense in criticising it, it's totally arbitrary" and I'm not buying it for a second.

Aren't the significant leap over visuals, Animations, A.I, new accessibility options for those who can't play the older versions qualitative aspects? They are for me and it is exactly why some of us are saying the price you want to pay for any media depends on the perceived value. Video game prices range from "I can't believe they gave it away at this price" to "It's way overpriced". I don't know about anyone else but I would easily pay more than $70 for games like God of war, Uncharted, Last of Us until that price crosses the limits of my perceived value. If everything has an objectively defined market value, there is no explanation for why some people will spend thousands of dollars for a comic book or game cassettes that costed few dollars some decades ago.

Also, It absolutely make sense if you criticize the price because you don't see the value in it. No one could ever justify it for you if you don't believe it isn't worth full price but if you are pissed because you can't get it at your perceived value you can always buy it at discounted rate or used discs later.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I want Sony's MP games to drop, so we'll all be busy challenging each other to 1v1s to handle these disputes instead.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The pricing debate about TLOU Part I specifically kind of ties into PlayStation's overall pricing strategy. In Canada, PlayStation 5 games are the only first party releases out of PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo to be priced at $89.99 at launch, the other 2 usually go with $79.99 or less. I believe in the U.S. it's $79.99 and $69.99 respectively but it's the same point.

So why is that? Obviously PlayStation sees their games as premium products compared to their competition. When you buy a PlayStation Studios game, it's their view that you are buying a premium, top of the line product and so it's priced accordingly. To their credit, they are often right. Their first party titles typically have an aura of prestige around them that you can see and feel when you're playing it. Additionally the market seems to have decided that they are right because even with cheaper options from the competition, their first party games seem to be selling just fine.

With The Last of Us Part I I'm not surprised that there is debate because there is clearly a mismatch between what PlayStation feels is a premium product and what some consumers feel is an unnecessary remake. I guess we'll see just how many feel that way when the game comes out. I have a feeling it will likely sell just fine even though I'm personally in the camp that finds the pricing absurd for what it is.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Several of us have already given solid explanation for why $70 is ridiculous in this case. Your willingness to buy it despite the price might be subjective, but qualitative aspects and things like market value and net worth absolutely exist, as does discussion surrounding it. You guys are essentially arguing "It's just all 100% subjective, there's sense in criticising it, it's totally arbitrary" and I'm not buying it for a second.
The remake is objectively not $8997645674, I can tell you that.

You (and others) have given your subjective examples for why the remake's price is ridiculous. And others have given examples why it can be worth the price. None of those are absolute truths.
Major improvements to all sorts of animations, visuals, sound design and other aspects can be enough to justify the price for many people. Especially the main target group of this remake: Gamers who are new to TLOU. So basically most PC players and newcomers to the console.
You are neither wrong or right in this case. There is no objective truth to the value of products in most cases. Especially in gaming and entertainment in general.

And your point about market value makes no sense. Market value is determined by the audience/customers and what they are willing to pay. The market will tell you right away if the price is too high or not and adjust accordingly

I also gave you an example for another remake (Demon's Souls) that most people consider worth the full price. TLOU1 remake gives you similar improvements, when you analyze the different aspects of the remake.
Demon's Souls was released 2009. The remake came was released in 2020. 11 years later.
TLOU1 was released in 2013. The remake will be released in 2022. 9 years later.
A difference of two years since the original of both.
But no one complained about the price two years ago huh?

You are also minimizing the work done on this remake and basically calling it a remaster, which it clearly isn't. This whole discussion reminds me of every argument with Nintendo remaster and those prices.
You can keep on arguing and complaining, but the reality is that prices are dictated by the customers' wallets.
You as a customer have a few choices. 1. Don't buy it. 2. Wait a few months for the price to drop to a level you deem acceptable. 3. Buy it at full price.

As I said before: Your reasons are perfectly valid. But stop trying to deny the valid arguments of people who are willing to pay the full price. You are not objectively right (or wrong). Prices and worth are and will always be a fickle and subjective thing. Covid and current product inflation (for different reasons) should have made that pretty clear.
And that's the last thing I will say about this, because I am tired of it. This hobby should be enjoyed, not nitpicked and argued to death.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
What if Sony charged $500 for the remake? Your point here doesn't address anything.

The entire game is being overhauled from scratch. The zero gravity segments and other gameplay elements are changed completely, so is the sound design and art direction, Isaac originally had no dialogue, level design is different, and basically everything is redone.

www.cgmagonline.com

Dead Space Remake: Inspired by Resident Evil 2

Rumours suggest that EA may be considering remaking Dead Space in the same style as Capcom's Resident Evil remakes.

The same can't be said for The Last of Us. In fact, it's actively not implementing mechanics from the sequel (except work benches) or overhauling much of anything.

View: https://youtu.be/_VChNaQC_mw

View: https://youtu.be/yMQOkpZO5eM

View: https://youtu.be/yAXLkdbSiVg

I saw all of that except in practice so far it does not look all that different on side by side comparisons. I mean does this look a substantially different game? All of those improvements sound good on paper and this will be prob the definitive way to play but I am not seeing such a massive shift in the gameplay footage so far.

www.youtube.com

Dead Space Remake vs Original Early Graphics Comparison

Dead Space Remake vs Original Early Graphics ComparisonTimestampsGranaliza Intro 00:00Original Gameplay 00:10Remake Gameplay 00:58Side-by-Side 01:49Differenc...

Either ways Dead Space is going to be a full priced remake most likely but involves less of an overhaul than RE2make. What in your view should this be priced at? 50dollars, 40 dollars? Its such a stupid slippery slope that people want to get into. Basically market will decide. Who ever thinks its worth 70 will buy it and then people who think its worth 60,50,40 etc will buy it when prices go down.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The trajectory that asobi is already on? like what lol. I said what is said. And it will be proven In due time.

They will never come close.... times are different now.

Edit- I'm a big fan of theirs... but I just don't like when some feel the need to rewrite history or downplay contribution, just to push something else new.

Some still do this with the PS3.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Some meta discussion about trying to assign some objective moral value to a video game on a forum with wildly different viewpoints and opinions is just annoying.

It's not enough to find a game to be not worth it, it's important that others be forced to see things the same way. This forum would just be a lot better if people just weren't so pushy with their opinions on things.
This argument was initiated by people using "It's 100% subjective to you" as a conversation stopper to shut down criticism.

You (and others) have given your subjective examples for why the remake's price is ridiculous. And others have given examples why it can be worth the price. None of those are absolute truths.
Major improvements to all sorts of animations, visuals, sound design and other aspects can be enough to justify the price for many people. Especially the main target group of this remake: Gamers who are new to TLOU. So basically most PC players and newcomers to the console.
You are neither wrong or right in this case. There is no objective truth to the value of products in most cases. Especially in gaming and entertainment in general.

And your point about market value makes no sense. Market value is determined by the audience/customers and what they are willing to pay. The market will tell you right away if the price is too high or not and adjust accordingly

I also gave you an example for another remake (Demon's Souls) that most people consider worth the full price. TLOU1 remake gives you similar improvements, when you analyze the different aspects of the remake.
Demon's Souls was released 2009. The remake came was released in 2020. 11 years later.
TLOU1 was released in 2013. The remake will be released in 2022. 9 years later.
A difference of two years since the original of both.
But no one complained about the price two years ago huh?

You are also minimizing the work done on this remake and basically calling it a remaster, which it clearly isn't. This whole discussion reminds me of every argument with Nintendo remaster and those prices.
You can keep on arguing and complaining, but the reality is that prices are dictated by the customers' wallets.
You as a customer have a few choices. 1. Don't buy it. 2. Wait a few months for the price to drop to a level you deem acceptable. 3. Buy it at full price.

As I said before: Your reasons are perfectly valid. But stop trying to deny the valid arguments of people who are willing to pay the full price. You are not objectively right (or wrong). Prices and worth are and will always be a fickle and subjective thing. Covid and current inflation should have made that pretty clear.
And that's the last thing I will say about this, because I am tired of it. This hobby should be enjoyed, not nitpicked and argued to death.
Huh? Inflation and deflation doesn't happen subjectively, except from price gouging.

And honestly, this conversation is like talking to a brick wall.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
By this logic, price gouging doesn't exist. As I mentioned before, it's not 100% subjective. Market value is absolutely a thing that exists, and qualitative aspects and production costs also go into it. In this case, we also have prior releases to compare it to. And it's absolutely open for criticism and discussion.

It's subjective to say that medication is overpriced in the United States or that the remake objectively isn't worth $900000000.

640px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

This is embarrassing. Please stop lol

What the fuck?

So, let's get this straight:

You think that it's possible to objectively calculate the worth of a good? That's your position? That worth isn't something ascribed by individuals to goods based on their preferences, but something innate to the item itself?

Jesus.

That seems to be the case. I am out of this discussion lol

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Commentary Around Accessibility
People think everything is about them or made for them, the reality alot of new people will be able to play this game now thanks to ND adding all those new accessibility features which is on of the major reasons why they went for the remake.

Good thing they can pay 70 DOLLAROOS for their accessibility. 😄

Gamescom Opening Night looks to be definitely shaping up for a must watch.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The pricing debate about TLOU Part I specifically kind of ties into PlayStation's overall pricing strategy. In Canada, PlayStation 5 games are the only first party releases out of PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo to be priced at $89.99 at launch, the other 2 usually go with $79.99 or less. I believe in the U.S. it's $79.99 and $69.99 respectively but it's the same point.

So why is that? Obviously PlayStation sees their games as premium products compared to their competition. When you buy a PlayStation Studios game, it's their view that you are buying a premium, top of the line product and so it's priced accordingly. To their credit, they are often right. Their first party titles typically have an aura of prestige around them that you can see and feel when you're playing it. Additionally the market seems to have decided that they are right because even with cheaper options from the competition, their first party games seem to be selling just fine.

With The Last of Us Part I I'm not surprised that there is debate because there is clearly a mismatch between what PlayStation feels is a premium product and what some consumers feel is an unnecessary remake. I guess we'll see just how many feel that way when the game comes out. I have a feeling it will likely sell just fine even though I'm personally in the camp that finds the pricing absurd for what it is.

No way am I buying the game. Will give it a shot when it comes on plus at some point but I believe they think there are enough people who think its worth it at that price. At any rate prices go down so fast these days its hard for me to be too bothered with it.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
This argument was initiated by people using "It's 100% subjective to you" as a conversation stopper to shut down criticism.

Huh? Inflation and deflation doesn't happen subjectively.

Wow, that's what you take away from my comment...Ignoring every single valid point made. And then saying something as silly as "talking to a brick wall". Now i know when the proverb "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" applies to someone. Impressive!
I'll just put you on ignore. That will be easier than trying to have a discussion with someone who really considers his opinion the objective truths and doesn't take any differing opinion into account.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
What the fuck?

So, let's get this straight:

You think that it's possible to objectively calculate the worth of a good? That's your position? That worth isn't something ascribed by individuals to goods based on their preferences, but something innate to the item itself?

Jesus.
This forum is fairly anticapitalist. If you believe that billionaires objectively shouldn't exist, than believing a 900 million USD game shouldn't exist and is the result of severe inequalities and exploitation isn't a big stretch. The premise is ridiculous ofc

Oct 30, 2017

Price gouging for video largely doesn't exist outside of predatory gambling/loot box schemes.
Price gouging still involves a determination of what's reasonable or fair. And if the game still sells plenty at full price, then the market has determined that to be reasonable and fair.

And comparison of this to medication which is an inelastic, life saving good is a bogus comparison. People will pay whatever they can to save their life. People will not do that for a video game.

And yes the remake isn't worth a million dollars because the market won't bear that price and it will destroy their IP. This likely will sell well.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I myself am still debating if I want to get this day 1 cause of the price and this being in my top 3 games of all time, so I understand ppl hoping it was less, but these discussions really aren't useful at all and just go back in circles as people have pointed out already.

like everyone disregards these accessibility features which are a huge investment of time for the developers and will be great for many that could benefit from them or may have never experienced the game before cause they need these features.

Should I go into every thread of any game receiving a remake and keep screaming "WHERE ARE MY ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES!!!!! FUCK YOU FOR NOT GIVING ME THEM!!!!" since I want them in all remakes now that are full priced?

Oct 30, 2017

Huh? Inflation and deflation doesn't happen subjectively, except from price gouging.

Nobody cares that you don't find it worth your time and money. You aren't in the minority here. You and millions of other console owners won't buy it.

Your criticism isn't being shut down. But rather, you're taking issue with people who don't feel it's overpriced.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ive moved on from this whole pricing thing... Game looks nice, I'll get when cheaper. I have store credit that'll get me the game when I have the free time (no time soon then!)
I dont believe any game should be that expensive, but yeah... that's what the credit and patience is for. Right now, it is somewhat morbidly amusing to see the conversation go round in circles though lol. (maybe that alledged GOW trailer can quiet things down for a while!)

Aug 23, 2018
Cleaning out some of our storage this month, I finally found by Death Stranding PS4 disc. Been meaning to get back into it, so I upgraded to the director's cut. My PS4 is long gone so I had to start from the beginning.

The OT for DS is all but dead, so I figured I'd share here.

OH MAN. I forgot how addictive this game is. Which is truly a testament to Kojima Productions to brilliantly weave all these different game play systems into what essentially is a Amazon carrier sim. There is something so relaxing and immersive about this world, and the game has it's hooks in me all over again. The Director's Cut also seriously streamlined that tutorial area (chapter 2) which made getting to Chapter 3 a much more enjoyable experience the second time around. I've already poured 20+ hours into chapter 3 trying to 5 star all the preppers, building roads, and getting the most out of all the new equipment.

I don't know if I didn't truly appreciate or understand the delivery rating/like system in the past, but I'm fully going all in on doing deliveries to places I know I haven't 5-starred yet, and taking full advantage of the

I'm at the tail end of Chapter 3, and I know that
ZIPLINES are close!!
. I don't remember getting too much further in my first playthrough, but I'm way more invested in the story this time around so I'm looking forward to getting to the end.

What a refreshing experience, and I'm pretty pumped that it looks like Death Stranding 2 has been greenlit. Also incredibly excited for Kojima's Xbox project and Overdose (although I assume that's one in the same, I can't see them working on more than 2 projects).

Status
Not open for further replies.