• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Sony's structure seems to be a bit confusing with redundancies. Not to mention Sony Music working almost against SIE.
I think Sony's internal structure makes more sense if you consider them as separate unique companies that happen to share the same name and not as divisions of a singular company that always consult each other before making decisions.

Each company has its own CEO, with their own goals which sometimes end up being redundant when looking at Sony as a whole; like Sony Music for example. But then there are divisions that work as you would expect; Sony pictures and PlayStation for example.

Plus, the thins ChaosSlayer said.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They raised $250m for those teams, unlikely they are planning on selling anytime soon.

Sony hasn't jumped on either of those to publish them which doesn't bode well for short term. Likely they want to see if they can actually deliver, unlike Firewalk (maybe Sony was a bit desperate to get a multiplayer shooter, and more confident in the talent there)
Yeah, it seems likely Firewalk was making the kind of game Sony lacked in its current portfolio, hence the publishing deal. The other teams making single-player stuff were less appealing since PS Studios are already strong in that area. I don't really think there's much to read into beyond that.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
yeah , but they must have something in mind to buy Evo and Repeat.gg

They may have something in mind, but games take a long time to build so that something may not appear this year... or even next.

Still, I think Arc System Works is a nifty target for Sony to look at. There aren't too many independent fighting game studios out there these days, they've got a great looking engine and could make some quality content for Sony.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wondered if Arc System Works would make for a good target, especially now that Sony doesn't have exclusives. But maybe their style is too niche.
Honestly they sound like one.

Games are mostly PC and PS. Sony has a history with working with them by publishing Xrd. Their I.Ps can be grown under Sony financing and infrastructure/resources. I.Ps can be used for Anime, etc...

And on top of that they will have an active studio that can interact with the FG round table, etc... and know what FG devs want/need to help nourish their FGC investments in the future.

The only way why it wouldn't make sense is if Sony is going after someone bigger but who knows maybe they just don't want to get their hands actually in the FG development scene even though they partly own Dimps (SFV dev with Capcom) with Bandai.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No I don't see Probably Monsters selling off just a single team nor do I foresee Sony buying the whole thing. I think at least one of their teams also has a separate, unannounced publisher?

Yeah, while Haven obviously happened and Deviation seems like a good possibility, I'm very curious about Firewalk/PM. Sony contracting PM to build a team, completely segregate them from their other teams and make them operate independently does at least have me raise an eyebrow. It feels like they'd be able to cleanly break from PM if an offer were made and PM decided to agree.

As for their other 2 studios, no idea if there's another publisher at play there.

Jul 26, 2022
yeah , but they must have something in mind to buy Evo and Repeat.gg

This is just the beginning. Sony must have something in mind regarding eSports, but it's not going to happen in a few months, it's a long working process, and above all it's necessary to respect certain rules of the Japan Fighting Game Makers Association, especially if a studio like Arc System Works is to be potentially purchased.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sony should get Dimps to me a first party fighting game for them? If BAMCO wasn't always contracting them. :V

Last game they worked together on was with Japan Studio for FREEDOM WARS.

Jul 26, 2022
Maybe Sony should get Dimps to me a first party fighting game for them? If BAMCO wasn't always contracting them. :V

Last game they worked together on was with Japan Studio for FREEDOM WARS.

If Sony has to make a acquisition, it will be either Arc System Works (adaptation with manga/animated series licenses), Bandai Namco (Tekken + adaptation with manga/animated series licenses) or Capcom (Street Fighter). I don't see Sony starting from scratch and creating a new versus fighting license calibrated for eSports.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
I think Sony's internal structure makes more sense if you consider them as separate unique companies that happen to share the same name and not as divisions of a singular company that always consult each other before making decisions.

Each company has its own CEO, with their own goals which sometimes end up being redundant when looking at Sony as a whole; like Sony Music for example. But then there are divisions that work as you would expect; Sony pictures and PlayStation for example.

Plus, the thins ChaosSlayer said.
Yeah, each company is an independent subsidiary with its own management team and internal targets.
The holding company handles group-wide R&D efforts (each group company is represented), explores growth opportunities, and defines the group strategy as a whole.

This is reflected in the appointment of Lin Tao as SVP, Finance, Corporate Development, and Strategy of SIE during their expansion era. She previously served as Head of Business Development at Sony Group Corp, reporting directly to Kenchiro Yoshida.
Group collaboration is a pillar of Sony Group plans. Executive VP (aka, subsidiaries' CEOs) remuneration take into account their effort to collaborate with Sister Companies.
Sony's Corporate Report 2021 said:
Remuneration linked to business results:
Individual performance in the area(s) for which each Senior Executive is responsible, including an evaluation of the Senior Executive's efforts to accelerate collaboration among Sony businesses to achieve value creation through One Sony, and his or her efforts to implement sustainability initiatives from the perspective of social value creation and ESG

There have been a lot of instances showcasing growing collaboration between the group companies. SIE and SPE collaboration is just more noticeable.
Those are a few examples.
Personally, I don't mind redundancies if they make sense. People here are critical of Sony Music Japan and Aniplex, but I don't mind them developing and publishing games based on anime/their properties since SIE didn't show any interest in those types of games.

And Samsung TVs during that time period.
Yeah, they are included in the article I linked. I just specified Bravia TVs because that's what the poster asked for.

solidsnakeyes

Banned
Jul 31, 2022
User Banned (permanent): Troll account
Ragnarok its one of the last triple A from sony we're gonna enjoy.
With microsoft putting his wallet on the game.. i dont see a good future tbh

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony has to make a acquisition, it will be either Arc System Works (adaptation with manga/animated series licenses), Bandai Namco (Tekken + adaptation with manga/animated series licenses) or Capcom (Street Fighter). I don't see Sony starting from scratch and creating a new versus fighting license calibrated for eSports.
Bamco would be quite pricey no? Compared to the other two.

They are not only games but anime, GUNDAM, and Toys.

Sony just recently did a deal with Spin Master so I doubt they'd ever consider Bamco.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

This is quite the doomer post lol

Honestly, relax. Most of AB's games are going to stay on Playstation. MS can grow without PS dying off

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Bandai Namco is the largest entertainment company in Japan, and the largest toy company in the world. No one is buying them :P

Jul 26, 2022

Sony just recently did a deal with Spin Master so I doubt they'd ever consider Bamco.

Synergies would be optimal with all subsidiaries of Sony Group Corporation such as Square Enix. But yes the entry ticket is very high for such a financial move. Capcom remains the ideal target.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Yup, Bandai Namco currently has a market cap of 2.183 Trillion Yen (over $16.3billion), so an acquisition would probably cost north of $20billion. Capcom in comparison has a market cap of 1.005 Trillion Yen (about $7.5bil).

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021

It's not like Sony (Aniplex) is not involved in the production of toys/figurines.
Aniplex is the biggest shareholder of Revolve, a Japanese toy manufacturer (albeit a small player). I expect them to grow their figures/toy operations in the future.
Anyway, I don't see Sony buying Bamco. It will result in serious anti-trust allegations in Japan.

As for Arc System Works, I can see them being acquired by SIE but I think that an acquisition by Aniplex may be better and more beneficial for Sony as a group and ASW.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Bandai Namco currently has a market cap of over $16billion, so an acquisition would probably cost north of $20billion. Capcom in comparison has a market cap of about $7.5bil.
Bandai Namco is the largest entertainment company in Japan, and the largest toy company in the world. No one is buying them :P
Yeah Bamco ain't ever going to be mulled over even if it would be enticing for Sony to have a massive toy company under them to push toys for their own brands as well as owning GUNDAM, other anime I.P and also games/licenses, etc...
It's not like Sony (Aniplex) is not involved in the production of toys/figurines.
Aniplex is the biggest shareholder of Revolve, a Japanese toy manufacturer (albeit a small player). I expect them to grow their figures/toy operations in the future.
Whoa I never knew this.

Seems like just figures though, which Bamco is more then just that and is of course global.
Anyway, I don't see Sony buying Bamco. It will result in serious anti-trust allegations in Japan.

As for Arc System Works, I can see them being acquired by SIE but I think that an acquisition by Aniplex may be better and more beneficial for Sony as a group and ASW.
I think ASW under SIE would be better then Sony Music because of investment focus (focusing on games and not anything else - as much) as well as them having access to SIE's world class infrastructure/capabilities/resources, platform distribution, industry know how, networks and connections, etc... all relating to game development.

Nothing is really stopping Aniplex from still using ASWs I.Ps though if they wanted to do other stuff with it.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
off topic, but I just finished FF14 Shadowbringers 5.0 main story and holy shit, that's definitely one of my favorite story in rpg I've ever played. I've been playing FF14 on off since 2.0 (technically since 1.0, but I don't play much of 1.0 and start new character with 2.0) last I played I was in the middle of Heavensward a couple years ago, and just started to continue again recently.

I'm playing this entirely as single player game too, with matchmaking for the dungeon, raid, trials etc. there's the downside of having to wait for matchmaking when playing old main story quest, sometimes I can wait up to 30 minutes, so it's definitely better if you have friend that play the content together with you, less time waiting to find party member, but it's all worth it, so good. I definitely recommend people who like jrpg to give the free trial a try, each expansion basically feel like a numbered FF title in term of size, plus expansion for the patched story inbetween expansion. continuing from the middle of Heavensward to Stormblood and Shadowbringer is like binging FF7,8,9 all at once, lol

I also love that the world of FF14 is so huge by now, and since I'm not playing every single sidequest etc, I can still discover some cool story or lore just browsing FF14 communities.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Just got back into Stray tonight after not playing it since launch day.

I already forgot just how good it looks. The vibes, soundtrack/sound design are all so incredible. Just spent a decent bit of time wandering around the hub area. Looking forward to playing more and maybe finishing it tomorrow.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017

dance-kids.gif

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
Whoa I never knew this.

Seems like just figures though, which Bamco is more then just that and is of course global.
Yeah, of course, Bamco is bigger. It's one of the leading toy manufacturers in the world.
Even though Aniplex controls Revolve, they are still collaborating with Bamco on some projects. For instance, Bandai Spirits is a part of 86's Production Committee.

I think ASW under SIE would be better then Sony Music because of investment focus (focusing on games and not anything else - as much) as well as them having access to SIE's world class infrastructure/capabilities/resources, platform distribution, industry know how, networks and connections, etc... all relating to game development.

Nothing is really stopping Aniplex from still using ASWs I.Ps though if they wanted to do other stuff with it.
Nothing stopping ASW from collaborating with PS Studios sharing tech and having access to their infrastructure as an Aniplex subsidiary too (One Sony Initiative).
Being owned by SME (Japan)/Aniplex will give them direct access to Aniplex IPs and significant resources.
Doubt that SIE will publish a Demon Slayer or Mashle (a popular manga with an upcoming anime produced by Aniplex) fighters, but Aniplex will.
They are expanding their game publishing operations outside of Japan. F/GO expanded to new countries in Europe and South America. Mahoyo (a popular VN developed by Type-Moon, a remake of the original 2012 PC game) will receive a simultaneous worldwide release. This is the first for a TM and an Aniplex title.

But anyway, I won't mind an acquisition of ASW by SIE too.

Guys, don't feed the troll!

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
www.eurogamer.net

Crystal Dynamics issues takedown notice following Tomb Raider leak

Over the weekend, a leak with potential details of the next Tomb Raider game made its way around the internet. These de…
Companies need to stop doing this. Konami made the same mistake when the Silent Hill 5 concept art leaked a few months ago, at a time when people were already doubting the rumours because of how long they were circulating.

When something hits the internet, it's on there forever. Don't acknowledge it and there's an open question as to whether or not it's real. Copyright strike it and you just did the Streisand Effect by confirming its authenticity.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Apparently we're not gonna enjoy Spider-Man 2 or Wolverine or Factions 2 or Firesprite's games or Bluepoint's or anyone because Microsoft putting their wallet on the game = no good future...

😩

Status
Not open for further replies.