• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform warring, history of similar behavior.
Xbox fans complaining (yet again) that Sony continues monyhatting exclusives is really funny to me considering the last Xbox showcase was 1/3rd timed exclusives. Granted, it's better for everyone if Rebirth was on every platform but I still can help losing my sides.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Crisis Core looks really nice. I though we were going to get an upscaled psp version. So I'm excited for that.
I'm still expecting the HBO to deviate a bit in the sense that I think we'll spend the first episode following Joel and Sarah as they live a normal life until the outbreak starts. It won't be as quick as the original. That'll be one of the benefits of the TV medium compared to games where there isn't a need to rush to the action.
I was under the impression it was going to be six episodes. Any idea on the number ep, and the run time.

jpmoney0421

May 16, 2022
Sony won Summer Game fest and didn't even have to put on a big show.

3rd Party/PSVR2 State of Play
Last of us Remake
FF7: Rebirth

Console Exclusive Games from now -> 2023:

Stray
Forespoken
Last of Us: Remake
God of War: Ragnorock
Final Fantasy 16
Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth
Last of Us Multiplayer Game
Spiderman 2
Knights of the Old Republic

Sonys output, if all of these games land, would be legendary.

The crazy thing is… Sony hasnt even had its showcase yet.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Seems a bit early to claim that the story goes against the themes of the original, when we haven't even gotten the whole story.
I don't get how loss could still not be a major part of the story. In fact, Cloud has had trauma already (and I'd assume that more is obviously yet to come), e.g. Zack is dead in his original timeline, so his trauma remains. I definitely don't agree on anything being poorly told yet. They could drop the ball, but we'll see.
The Remake actually had some surprisingly smart and emotional moments, that the original never had at that point.
I am definitely more on Max Dood's line of thought as I see a lot of potential in this. Obviously, in a good and bad way, but I am a lot more optimistic at this point.
But to each their own.
I know we don't know yet, but the point is they're signposting a lot of weird changes to the core of the story. If there were signs that the ending of the first game was just something to make the ending more dramatic I could maybe suck it up and pretend that the moment wasn't canon, but between the name of the second game and the voice over at the beginning of the trailer it's pretty clear what they want us to think.

The point of THE THING happening was that it was the PLAYER that experienced loss alongside Cloud. Cloud has trauma that existed before the game, but that's all flashback stuff which is second hand to the player. THE THING was the most emotionally visceral thing to happen in video games up to that point (aided by FFVII being one of the very first big games where the graphics and FMVs were good enough to convey emotion without speech). Sure, it might lose some impact for people who know it's coming, but to get rid of it is like saying "I've seen Citizen Kane already, if they remake it they should make Rosebud his ex-girlfriend to keep it fresh".

As for not being poorly told? The whispers were awful and the game ended in a ridiculous boss fight against mystical arbiters of destiny. The original game had magic, sure, but it was all given a scientific background to ground it in the world's reality. The whisper plot and the end are so far removed from anything in original game that it was really jarring to experience. :/

Really, they should have limited changes to things like the Jessie sub-story. Things that are additive and flesh characters out instead of making it different.

Naoto

Unshakable Resolve
May 3, 2022
Ireland
Xbox fans complaining (yet again) that Sony continues monyhatting exclusives is really funny to me considering the last Xbox showcase was 1/3rd timed exclusives. Granted, it's better for everyone if Rebirth was on every platform but I still can help losing my sides.
Don't bring up that MS took away Bethesda games from PlayStation and potenitally some Activision/Blizzard in the future - their excuses will give you the meanest headache.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
That's true.

By the way, I got a lot of answers for my previous post. Honestly, it's no criticism, I'm just really curious to know how much Sony is paying for this, that's all! ^^

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Too much Final Fantasy talk.

Folks, Dragon's Dogma 2 was announced! It's going to be the GotG!

No Final Fantasy is standing a chance against that.
Sorry this is "Final Fantasy |OT30|" now.

ff7r-ff7remake.gif

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017

I feel for those who just want to play FF, I do. But also, considering how MS has spent its money of late, and securing entire publishers, with titles like Elder Scrolls and Starfield going exclusive, I think that's just the nature of the game. Games are being taken away from single platform people and that's the cost of it. Sure, Square is a third party, but in the end, it comes down to spending money to bolster your platform.

At least PC will be an option eventually for all these titles, MS owned included. The year wait presumably for FF sucks, but better than nothing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
- God of War Ragnarok
- Spider-Man 2
- Final Fantasy 16
- Final Fantasy 7 Part II Rebirth
- Wolverine
- Factions 2
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
200.gif
Lmao!!
Has being a really fun month for sure
Sony's strategy of sprinkling announcements throughout the month of june is brilliant. Expecting GOW SoP in the next two weeks. They've officially won "E3."
I was just about to post yesterday or today how new info is coming almost non stop.

Really feels like its not over. I'm being cautiously optimistic about God of War info this month. That would be one hell of a way to cap off the month tho.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Boy I sure am glad I have a PS5 alongside a Series X after this week lol. A lot of great stuff to look forward to.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

I play on all platforms and spend an absurd amount on Dreams on PS5, have likely played the PS5 this year more as a result only due to that single game, but yes I do gravitate towards Xbox more with my normal library simply because it's the place I had started gaming on back in the day, enjoy the controller more and I like to have it all in one place. You are comparing I suppose exclusivity of 3 months to 2 years and more here, and that's not the same thing. I have no problem if Sony wants to acquire Square (that's just natural exclusivity then) or if they want to publicly announce a generation-long exclusivity. But then just do it. What happens here is that people are left in the dark for a VERY long time. FF is too big an IP for that, even 75-25 sale splits in favor of PlayStation.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017

Last of us Remake

Stray
Forespoken
Final Fantasy 16
Spiderman 2

I think this further solidifies my theory that PlayStation won't have a showcase this year as it wouldn't make sense to scatter these announcements if they had a showcase planned.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Last of us Remake

Stray
Forespoken
Final Fantasy 16
Spiderman 2

Their marketing is top tier right now. They know how to get all eyes on them and constantly keep all eyes on them.

At this point I'm expecting a SoP by the end of the month to keep things chugging along. I firmly believe that Sony was originally intending to give us a VERY VERY dense lineup (first and third party games) each and every year of the PS5's life and since things got pushed due to the pandemic we're gonna get an especially dense 2023.

Can't wait to experience it 😃

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Boy I sure am glad I have a PS5 alongside a Series X after this week lol. A lot of great stuff to look forward to.
This is the smart move going forward as more acquisitions will be made and more announcements will come that will naturally upset fans of all platforms.

Now to look forward to God of War Ragnarok release date hopefully next week. 🙏

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It is so weird to me that SE would show FFVII Rebirth on their own. It's a HUGE 3rd party exclusive, it does not even have PC version. We do no get games like this anymore from 3rd party developers let alone 3rd publishers especially for AAA games.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too much Final Fantasy talk.

Folks, Dragon's Dogma 2 was announced! It's going to be the GotG!

No Final Fantasy is standing a chance against that.

Capcom made a big mistake announcing DD2 so at the same time Rebirth was announced. It feels like all the talk is about the FF in social media lol

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It's confirmed to be 10 episodes for the first season. The runtime is unconfirmed, but it'd be surprising if it were anything other than 1h per episode.
Nice. 10 ep. is plenty of rope to develop the story properly. I hope that the season jumps translate well to the tv format. I hope we get a trailer soon.

This gen more than ever I'm glad I got all 3. For example Sony and Microsoft ain't doing shit this summer. Switch got me covered
Can't wait for xeno 3. Honestly, there's too many games. Lol

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
Is there a PSVR OT? What's the latest rumours regarding PSVR2? Im (probably foolishly) it will be backwards compatible with PSVR.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is so weird to me that SE would show FFVII Rebirth on their own. It's a 3rd party HUGE exclusive, it does not even have PC version. We do no get games like this anymore from 3rd party developers let alone 3rd publishers especially for AAA games.

I think neither Sony nor Square wanted to show XVI and announce Rebirth at the same event.

Oct 25, 2017
I play on all platforms and spend an absurd amount on Dreams on PS5, have likely played the PS5 this year more as a result only due to that single game, but yes I do gravitate towards Xbox more with my normal library simply because it's the place I had started gaming on back in the day, enjoy the controller more and I like to have it all in one place. You are comparing I suppose exclusivity of 3 months to 2 years and more here, and that's not the same thing. I have no problem if Sony wants to acquire Square (that's just natural then) or if they want to publicly announce a generation-long exclusivity. But then just do it. What happens here is that people are left in the dark for a VERY long time. FF is too big an IP for that, even 75-25 sale splits in favor of PlayStation.

I'm going to say this. Like many people here said about Bethesda games. If you want to be sure you can play FF games day one. Get a playstation.

Timed exclusives no matter how long they are is a practice everyone engages in in this industry. These platform holders are absolutely going to throw money to make sure you're playing on their platforms.

Apr 6, 2022
I'm not sure why people were sure FF7R was going to xbox. FF7 is probably the most iconic third part playstation exclusive. If Sony was gonna make any game a playstation console exclusive, it was gonna be FF7R. I'm not saying its right to keep it exclusive, but it just makes too much sense lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I feel for those who just want to play FF, I do. But also, considering how MS has spent its money of late, and securing entire publishers, with titles like Elder Scrolls and Starfield going exclusive, I think that's just the nature of the game. Games are being taken away from single platform people and that's the cost of it. Sure, Square is a third party, but in the end, it comes down to spending money to bolster your platform.

At least PC will be an option eventually for all these titles, MS owned included. The year wait presumably for FF sucks, but better than nothing.

All I will say is 3rd parties have made platform exclusive games for decades....

...Look how many Square games are exclusive to Nintendo....Insomniac is a Sony studio....and you still have to get an Xbox to play Sunset Overdrive on consoles....look how long it took Alan Wake to come to Playstation...

It is what it is....lol

This OT title is fucking paying dividends 😂

Who could have guessed
lol!!

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
FF16, FF7R-2, Spider-Man 2.... 2023 looks insane and I'm really looking forward to whatever else they can surprise us with.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom made a big mistake announcing DD2 so at the same time Rebirth was announced. It feels like all the talk is about the FF in social media lol
Almost like…they should've announced it at another show…idk like their showcase or something. They also didn't show shit..which is weird cuz that's usually square mo who would've thought lol

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.