• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
What confuses me about the negativity around the Kojima game is that nobody even knows what "cloud game" means because there are no "cloud games". I saw people posting stuff like how they don't want to play games on their phone and, like, what?

I get it when people have certain aversions towards specific genres like JRPGs, open world action adventures, multiplayer/coop, shooters or whatever.

But cloud game? What does that even mean? The only thing that comes to mind is the multiplayer component of Crackdown 3 and nothing else. Even the few Stadia exclusives, like Orcs Must Die 3, were ported to conventional platforms later because they were just timed exclusive moneyhats. You know, Stadia, the platform the game was originally supposed to launch on.

I know that Kojima always aims to be more ambitious than most other video game directors but people are getting their knickers twisted over what could end up being a regular-ass video game with a gimmick because they don't like a meaningless buzzword that is attached to it.

Personally, I just wanna play it but I'm worried about the rumor being that it's ONLY available through the XCloud. We don't have any such examples right now though but that'll exclude a large number of people from playing the game. It's always frustrating seeing people talk about the cloud as though it's some easily accessible tech. So yeah, I'm personally praying it's not XCloud only and that the game will still be accessible worldwide regardless if it's Xbox exclusive or not.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So almost a day after the Part I blog post where they talked about pre-orders, only U.S. customers are able to do that for this game and only on their Direct website? What happened to SIE's globalisation efforts? Kind of crazy as TLoU is one of their biggest games. Can't find pre-orders for other regions, and we don't seem to be getting Firefly Edition with steelbook. 😭

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Personally, I just wanna play it but I'm worried about the rumor being that it's ONLY available through the XCloud. We don't have any such examples right now though but that'll exclude a large number of people from playing the game. It's always frustrating seeing people talk about the cloud as though it's some easily accessible tech. So yeah, I'm personally praying it's not XCloud only and that the game will still be accessible worldwide regardless if it's Xbox exclusive or not.
Everyone prasing the Cloud thinks all people have access to top tier internet and thats not the case, i hope is not only for XCloud either

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
That's a really valid concern and it would suck if the game was limited to xCloud, indeed. I'd lose interest immediately.

My hope is that the people reporting the rumors are conflating xCloud with the game being built around Azure as a computational backend because the game was originally supposed to be exclusive to Stadia and xCloud is Microsoft's competitor to that.

The game is definitely going to be playable on xCloud, like many other games, and will most likely rely on internet connectivity, but it would surprise me if it was xCloud streaming-only because we're simply not there yet.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
So almost a day after the Part I blog post where they talked about pre-orders, only U.S. customers are able to do that for this game and only on their Direct website? What happened to SIE's globalisation efforts? Kind of crazy as TLoU is one of their biggest games. Can't find pre-orders for other regions, and we don't seem to be getting Firefly Edition with steelbook. 😭

I genuinely think that PlayStation haven't discussed the title or pre-order information with retailers in a bid to prevent leaks. They then went and leaked it on their own so that was pointless. I'm guessing we'll see pre-orders become available in each region in the coming weeks.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I'm pretty sure Overdose will be designed with the xCloud in mind, just look at what kojima had to say earlier this year:

Oct 26, 2017
I lost progress three separate times on GT7 yesterday, once after finishing first in a pretty tough race. Whoever thought to make the game a) online only and b) not let you reconnect without losing progress needs to be stuck in a room with inconsistent Internet for a day to see how they like it...

Yep, the GT7 online requirement is a bad thing. I've got squirrels in the loft (that's not a euphemism for my mental state) and the furry bastards chewed through one of the LAN cables up there, so I've had no connectivity on my PS5 or TV for a few days while I've recabled. I don't really see the harm in letting me do single-player stuff in GT7 and then resyncing once the console's back online.

unknown.png

11 letters name and a single word.
Let spectulation begin

Wait a sec, those aren't asterisks; they're STARS. So it's a game to do with stars or space, or maybe it's got the word 'star' in the title? Something star-something?

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Lead technical artist at ND

I've seen people describe the yellow cloud as a sand storm but what if it's a spore cloud? it'll close in on players in typical BR fashion but instead of killing you it transforms you into a runner/clicker/bloater depending on how long ago you have been infected. Would have really cool gameplay variety.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
My hope is that the people reporting the rumors are conflating xCloud with the game being built around Azure as a computational backend because the game was originally supposed to be exclusive to Stadia and xCloud is Microsoft's competitor to that.
I also think cloud was about "the power of the cloud" (so the backend) and not the front end. This will be an always online title for sure.

jpmoney0421

May 16, 2022
Can 2022 go down as one of the best years in gaming for the console? The line up of games has been top tier so far.

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
Forespoken
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

** not a complete list of games **

Last edited:

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Can 2022 go down as one of the best years in gaming for the console? The line up of games has been top tier so far.

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

For me it is the best catalog of Sony releases in years. I don't remember anything like that in the past Generation...

I hope that in 2023 they maintain this level, but I have my doubts.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone prasing the Cloud thinks all people have access to top tier internet and thats not the case, i hope is not only for XCloud either

Yeah. And it's not even internet access, some countries just straight up don't have access to xCloud. So yeah, let's hope it's not the case. I love Kojima experience if not for anything else that they're just always something different and interesting.

That's a really valid concern and it would suck if the game was limited to xCloud, indeed. I'd lose interest immediately.

The game is definitely going to be playable on xCloud, like many other games, and will most likely rely on internet connectivity, but it would surprise me if it was xCloud streaming-only because we're simply not there yet.

Yeah. It seems like it won't be the case only because we don't really have any examples like that, but I guess the rumors got me a little bit worried and the fact that his previous project was supposed to be cloud only. Always online and even using the cloud on the backend is fine. As long as the game is accessible. Can't miss out on Kojima goodness

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

Forspoken too

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering how people in the UK will be able to watch The Last of Us TV show when it comes out.
I think that there's confirmation that HBO Max won't launch in the UK until 2025 at the earliest. Do HBO have a content partnership with any UK streaming services? I think that some of the shows that were on Paramount+ in the US were available via Apple+ TV in the UK, but I don't know about HBO...

Jun 22, 2021
I'm wondering how people in the UK will be able to watch The Last of Us TV show when it comes out.
I think that there's confirmation that HBO Max won't launch in the UK until 2025 at the earliest. Do HBO have a content partnership with any UK streaming services? I think that some of the shows that were on Paramount+ in the US were available via Apple+ TV in the UK, but I don't know about HBO...
Sky

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It'll be Sky.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Just my 2 cents on the Naughty Dog news.

TLOU Part I
  • Honestly, it looks great. Would've prefer to see the combat instead to really solidify the difference between the Remaster & the Remake but I could see them wanting to save that reveal closer to release.
  • Oh, nice, It's not cross gen and Left Behind being integrated into the main game is exciting.
  • If news about this Remake didn't first leak in April last year, This reveal could've been a decent surprise especially with it's close Sept 9, 2022 release date. Then folks wouldn't have to spend the last 12 months arguing whether it's a waste of Naughty Dog's talent or if TLOU1 even deserves a remake.
  • TLOU Part II breaking 10 Million is really nice to hear especially with the toxic BS that some have against this game.
Standalone MP Game
  • The 2023 date sucks but at least Neil clearly states this is an ambitious standalone game centered on MP.
  • Neil mentioning it's as big or bigger than their SP games they've done, Complete with it's own story and a new cast of characters set in TLOU really does give me some vibes that this could be a Destiny-like game. Just hoping for plenty of fun PVE and PVP content to do with my friends.
  • I think we'll absolutely see news of Naughty Dog collaborating with Bungie to get the best possible launch for their game while smoothing out their approach for how they'll handle any Events, Season Pass, DLC or Story Expansions plans for the next 4-5 years.
  • With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog eventually opens up a new studio location while sorta transition into a Multi-Project studio like Insomniac, Respawn, & Remedy with their devs jumping between their SP Focused Games and their MP Live Service Games.
Neil's Next Game
  • Wouldn't be disappointed if it's TLOU Part III or Uncharted 5 but I'd be way more excited if it's a New IP coming from Naughty Dog.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
User threadbanned (permanent): Constantly derailing the thread with negativity

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

I think this year is pretty unflinchingly awful, Elden Ring aside. One of the worst years in recent memory.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

Its a good year (we'll assume for the sake of it. GOW makes it). Not quite sure its beating 2017 for me (especially when considering the Switch/Zelda launched then as well) but its definitely up there. Sifu alone for me has been amazing, Ive still not actually started either Horizon or Elden Ring as I keep playing more indie titles. Speaking of which... this year has a few nice indies coming up... as well as Sifu and Stray, we are getting Turtles! Next week no less, which has me super excited, that could be another game of the year. And while its not a new game, the Cuphead DLC has been long anticipated and Im totally buying and 100%ing it.

Retro collection wise is also real solid with Capcom, Sega and Konami releasing Capcom Fighting Collection, Arcade Stadium 2, Sonic Origins and Turtles Retro Collection. Most of my summer will probably have me back in the early 90s!

Next year can potentially beat it though, Capcom alone is going to have an incredible showing (and that's only taking RE4 and SFVI into account, if Dragons Dogma 2 releases as well... oh boy!). Plus Sega will have Yakuza 8 out, which automatically will be my game of the year.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Exclusives in 2022:

Sifu
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
Ghostwire Tokyo
Stray
The Last of Us Remake
God of War

Non Exclusives:

Elden Ring
Saints row 4
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Call of duty MW 2

Absolutely amazing year for me so far. Played the hell out of Elden Ring, Horizon, and Ghostwire. Got some Bugsnax DLC. It's been wonderful. Hell, this might be my favorite start to a generation since the PS2. I'm just fucking in love with the hobby right now.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
It's really great to see that Naughty Dog seem to be expanding to a 3 team structure, as others have said I'm sure after the Remake, Escayg will move onto another Uncharted while Neil and Kurt create a new IP, there's a lot of talent in ND and it's good to see that talent get a chance leading different projects.

Also, I doubt we'll get news about FF7R-2 in this anniversary stream, but what do I know

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Sony has been doing amazing this year with their first part. Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, The Last of Us 1 with the gameplay of Part 2. We just need Ragnorak to make it to this year

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
We're really getting info about FF XVI and VII-2 R in the same month.

tumblr_mjtr0y3VT21s6krrko1_500.gif

I think it was a great start but it's starting to feel like it's falling apart, if the indies don't deliver it's gonna be super bland.

Really? I'm thinking the remainder of the year goes like this:

The Last of Us Part I - September
Forspoken - October
God of War Ragnarok - November (🤞)
Calisto Protocol - December
Hogwarts Legacy - Winter 2022

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Retro collection wise is also real solid with Capcom, Sega and Konami releasing Capcom Fighting Collection, Arcade Stadium 2, Sonic Origins and Turtles Retro Collection. Most of my summer will probably have me back in the early 90s!

Seeing how many excellent retro collections we have gotten in the past ~4 years has been nothing short of amazing. I know that these collections have always been a thing, but emulation has gotten so much better and (most) companies are really putting effort into these games.

I still can't believe that Turtles Collection is a real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.