• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I'll refrain from buying any new games on PlayStation due to the Jim Ryan shit.

My backlog is huge enough anyway. Also, I can play HFW for a full year over and over again 😅

I encourage everyone to do the same

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (1 month): Inflammatory comparison; concern trolling regarding reproductive rights

My backlog is huge enough anyway. Also, I can play HFW for a full year over and over again 😅

Sorry but that's just dumb. Jim Ryan isn't PlayStation, and if you think that, you're just as dumb as he is.

Oct 26, 2017
I like the new thread title, and appreciate how quickly it was changed.

The content of the Jim Ryan email is entirely unacceptable.

Fuck Jim Ryan.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I'd love to do that. But I'm not just gonna quit playing games and stop supporting devs that I love. I'll make sure to be vocal in other ways though.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
Sorry but that's just dumb. Jim Ryan isn't PlayStation, and if you think that, you're just as dumb as he is.
I don't agree with he said, but saying that someone who doesn't want to support a company who's CEO doesn't give a shit about women's rights, is on the same level as being said CEO.... is quite the take

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Thnx but no thnx. While I do not share Jimbo's thinking, I like to support the devs and the quality games that come out under PS Studios.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking finally finished it. It does look amazing tho, really happy that I got it. If you can get it, do it.

665-C0-FE3-22-B9-4-D56-ADDA-913-D75-ED498-C.jpg
Nice! They really dropped the ball with the initial supply. It's sold out everywhere...
It's still on my list but not a priority with my DeLorean build still sitting there not even half finished and the UCS Millennium Falcon staring a hole in my back...

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
I understand and respect anyone's choice if they don't want to support Sony if Fuck Jim Ryan remains the CEO or doesn't come up with a legitimate apology. Which would be the very least he could do.

I will continue to purchase the games I enjoy from them, because I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't. Regardless, this is an issue that shouldn't die down no matter what big games are coming out or rumored to be coming out, and I hope people remain on Sonys ass to take proper action against Fuck Jim Ryan.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean he just tried to tell me to not buy games because Jim Ryan's a fucking idiot and his dumb ass email to colleagues. PlayStation as a company does a huge amount of good and it's workers stand for a lot of important rights across various topics. Yeah I think it's a dumb stance... Sorry.

I'll just put this... What's the thing that women working at SIE need to hear from fans of PlayStation games they're working on right now? Support, or a fucking boycott... Really ask yourself that question.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean he just tried to tell me to not buy games because Jim Ryan's a fucking idiot and his dumb ass email to colleagues. PlayStation as a company does a huge amount of good and it's workers stand for a lot of important rights across various topics. Yeah I think it's a dumb stance... Sorry.

Jim Ryan is the president/CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. His presence, words and decisions directly impact the culture and direction of SIE. You're kidding yourself if you think that isn't true.

And it's not like Jim Ryan just randomly found himself as the president of SIE. He worked his way up. He made relationships. He interviewed well. He promoted his ideas and philosophies. And then it was decided that he would be president. Those that put him in that position clearly share similar business & philosophical ideals as him.

Is Jim Ryan literally Playstation? No. But Elon Musk isn't Twitter either. Doesn't mean his presence doesn't have a major impact.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

You may disagree with their stance, but calling the poster as dumb as what Jim Ryan did? I think that's a leap.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
There's nothing wrong with choosing to boycott PlayStation. Especially if it has no material effect on the workers who don't support the email there.

Personally, I won't be because I'd rather continue playing Horizon Forbidden West. I'm here for the games first and foremost. As far as I know, playing them doesn't endorse anything I object to.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope there isn't quite so much over the top moaning about the graphics this time

I still don't fully get that tbh. I mean sure it's not on the same level as FF7R but it wasn't in the least bad looking, quite the opposite imo. That said, already told myself I'm not going to take note of any potential negativity surrounding the game. I'll be putting myself in an echo chamber but I'm so excited for this game that I really don't need gamer™ outrage over graphics or other nonsense.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I just hope there isn't quite so much over the top moaning about the graphics this time
Well, depends on on how the graphics improved this time.

I've said this awhile back, XVI's debut trailer gave this washed out quality that's kinda underwhelming for a PS5 game.

Granted that trailer was probably created early for the showcase, etc, but even Ghost of Tsushima + VII Remake manage to look more vibrant and sharper, and both games were PS4 games.

So, hopefully the new trailer would be better at the very least. 🤷‍♂️

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Jim Ryan is the president/CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. His presence, words and decisions directly impact the culture and direction of SIE. You're kidding yourself if you think that isn't true.

And it's not like Jim Ryan just randomly found himself as the president of SIE. He worked his way up. He made relationships. He interviewed well. He promoted his ideas and philosophies. And then it was decided that he would be president. Those that put him in that position clearly share similar business & philosophical ideals as him.
I don't really see the issue. His business philosophy and ideas don't seem that weird or controversial, tbh. A mix of acquisition, single player games and more GaaS to create a steady revenue stream. Not very original, but probably the correct strategy.
If someone can't separate a person's personal beliefs from his business, then that's fine, but plenty of people can separate a brand from its leaders.
This weird letter was obviously tone-deaf and insensitive, but communication is clearly not his main competence.
And yes, Jim Ryan is certainly a representative of PlayStation, but let's be real. Other than fans and gaming enthusiasts that hang around threads and website like Era, most of the PlayStation audience will never know of (or see the face of) Jim Ryan or associate him to the brand.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

I'll just put this... What's the thing that women working at SIE need to hear from fans of PlayStation games they're working on right now? Support, or a fucking boycott... Really ask yourself that question.

100% correct.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I think it's because you called that user dumb, saying their the same as Jim Ryan. It's up to them to boycott the entirety of PlayStation or not; if you don't want to, that's fine! I'm not either since I love SIE's games and using the PS5.

Fuck Jim Ryan though.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Elden Niche above CoD. Love to see it.

God damn, I'm so happy for Miyazaki and the team at FromSoftware. That's some crazy success and well deserved - best game this year hands down. Though now I hope they do something fresh again inbetween next Souls game release - like Sekiro or something new entirely...except anime shit

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Can't wait for my friends to catch up on XIV so I can finally start Endwalker lol.
I'm waiting for the 6.2 update (I think it's 6.2) that lets me take NPCs into dungeons before jumping back into FFXIV. My schedule is hectic and I have kids, so it's hard to find time to dedicate to a dungeon with others. I constantly have to get up and walk away and I hate to do that to a party of real people.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
I'm waiting for the 6.2 update (I think it's 6.2) that lets me take NPCs into dungeons before jumping back into FFXIV. My schedule is hectic and I have kids, so it's hard to find time to dedicate to a dungeon with others. I constantly have to get up and walk away and I hate to do that to a party of real people.
Definitely feel this. Having the Trust system implemented in all of FFXIV is such a good move and pretty much makes it a single player game. Hopefully more people will get into it after the 6.2 update because it's fantastic. Enjoy when you do get back to it!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Definitely feel this. Having the Trust system implemented in all of FFXIV is such a good move and pretty much makes it a single player game. Hopefully more people will get into it after the 6.2 update because it's fantastic. Enjoy when you do get back to it!
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it! I'm hoping that when it comes out I can convince the wife to play with me. She loved playing Guild Wars 2 together with me because it was basically just the two of us, for the most part.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's understandable. Loved the introduction of party members in Shadowbringers and haven't really been keeping up on what's new in either Endwalker or the recent patches but I take it they're expanding that system to the rest of the game?

Edit: I see it's already answered. Awesome!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yeah that's understandable. Loved the introduction of party members in Shadowbringers and haven't really been keeping up on what's new in either Endwalker or the recent patches but I take it they're expanding that system to the rest of the game?
Yep. 6.2 is supposed to bring the Trust System to all content, not just Endwalker and Shadowbringers. They're essentially making it to where you can completely solo the game's story from beginning to end.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly expect it to blow people away once it's revealed again just like past FF's. Based on what Yoshi-P has said, the purpose of the initial reveal was to show people that the game was real. And part of doing that was showing the actual game in the state it was at the time. So we didn't get the usual FF CG or the show stopping graphics. I expect to see FF in all its glory with that next showing.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The Tideripper in HFW is so awesome. I love how diverse these monsters are in this series. It's easily one of my favorite aspects of the game. And there's so many machines in this!

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
I'm really surprised it was the 3rd place in unit sales again.Like the UK, it seemed like it had enough supply drops to carry it into 2nd or first. I guess some of the drops weren't as big as they appeared.
i think only week 3 drop was great in the US, week 1, 2 and 4 were really bad

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'm really happy for those who are going to solo the FF14 story. I was joking that it's secretly the best single player JRPG (because of how few times you are required to play with others), but now it will be an official single player RPG heh.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
i think only week 3 drop was great in the US, week 1, 2 and 4 were really bad

It was kind of the same with the UK and that was still enough. I think it's pretty close to falling behind the Series consoles in the us if it doesn't bump up supply soon.

Like I said, I guess the ps direct drops and stuff like that weren't as big as I thought. This month's supply has looked unfortunately barren so far too.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I never liked Jim Ryan, but I didn't really know why, even though he said stupid stuff before. This is beyond stupid.

Wish Shawn Layden never left.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Yeah, I'm really happy for those who are going to solo the FF14 story. I was joking that it's secretly the best single player JRPG (because of how few times you are required to play with others), but now it will be an official single player RPG heh.

I didnt know this was a thing.
Is it known if a subscription is still needed if playing solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.