• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
As someone who has thought Jim Ryan was unfairly maligned in the past due to his lack of PR, this was also extremely disappointing on that front, and really shows that I should just shut the hell up about what executives I bat for, since they are all probably rotten to some degree. Although if it turns out Shu is a bad guy I will quit gaming.

I personally wouldn't compare those mistakes to this. I really don't care if people flub their pr when talking about gaming, as someone with severe social anxiety I can understand tripping over your words from time to time, but you need to know your employees better than this, especially when you're dealing with their human rights. It's just very tone deaf and unnecessary, and honestly, kind of surprising given how this company has handled most social issues over the last few years.

As Anna Funk wrote, how can they do the right thing (or at least make the appearance of doing the right thing) on vaccines, Ukraine, BLM and LGBT+ issues and then both sides this matter? It's very disappointing.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I personally wouldn't compare those mistakes to this. I really don't care if people flub their pr when talking about gaming, as someone with severe social anxiety I can understand tripping over your words from time to time, but you need to know your employees better than this, especially when you're dealing with their human rights. It's just very tone deaf and unnecessary, and honestly, kind of surprising given how this company has handled most social issues over the last few years.

As Anna Funk wrote, how can they do the right thing (or at least make the appearance of doing the right thing) on vaccines, Ukraine, BLM and LGBT+ issues and then both sides this matter? It's very disappointing.

Oh I agree. Sorry, I didn't mean to compare PR stuff to this. But yes, it is shit and has made me vastly dissapointed in Sony as a company. Regardless of all their issues with how they handle things, I could have always looked at how pro-active they were regarding social issues. Now, there isn't even that. Its just shit and I hope that the company as a whole deals with it fast and the next President comes out very much in favour of womens rights.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Oh I agree. Sorry, I didn't mean to compare PR stuff to this. But yes, it is shit and has made me vastly dissapointed in Sony as a company. Regardless of all their issues with how they handle things, I could have always looked at how pro-active they were regarding social issues. Now, there isn't even that. Its just shit and I hope that the company as a whole deals with it fast and the next President comes out very much in favour of womens rights.

Nah, it's fine, nothing to apologize about, I was just throwing my opinion in on top of yours. I agreed with your sentiment.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The cynical part of me is that Sony will drop some news for sure soon to sweep the Jim Ryan stuff under the carpet.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Sony still involved with the SH reboot, according to Dusk Golem.

The budget on this thing must be AAA by now. Hopefully it's not purely 1st person perspective like the latest RE games.

Oct 25, 2017
Just waking up and see pages throttled up from 63 to 71 with 100 posts per page.

I thought it's something like Ragnarok cancelled to 2023, Square Enix acquisition, something like that, and then realized the OT title change.

oof-old-man.gif

After the whatever fiscal report & no news week, this happen... 🤦

This guy really don't have talent with PR even though before/after being CEO huh...?

Who want to play that backward-compatibility...
Believe in generations...
Cross play...
The Middle East comment...
And now this...

At least new rumors for Silent Hill this Friday. 🤷

The gaming comments from him aren't even comparable to this stuff though. I feel he got more hate for those comments from consumers than he will about this current issue.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

The budget on this thing must be AAA by now. Hopefully it's not purely 1st person perspective like the latest RE games.
Not going to lie, those screenshots look friggin' dreadful. It looks like we're getting another generic "psychological horror" game with the subtlety of a brick that erroneously thinks Silent Hill is about a sentient town that "helps people with issues."

I hope this is Bloober Team's game, just so we can get a better Japanese one right next to it.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Bloober Team hints it could be working on Silent Hill… but it’s not the only one | VGC

Medium dev says its next game is based on an existing horror IP from 'a famous publisher'

www.relyonhorror.com

Masahiro Ito, Former Silent Hill Art Director, Confirms His New Game Is Still On Track - Rely on Horror

Silent Hill creature designer and art director Masahiro Ito confirmed via Twitter that he's still working on his mysterious new title.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Not going to lie, those screenshots look friggin' dreadful. It looks like we're getting another generic "psychological horror" game with the subtlety of a brick that erroneously thinks Silent Hill is about a sentient town that "helps people with issues."

I hope this is Bloober Team's game, just so we can get a better Japanese one right next to it.

Bloober Team hints it could be working on Silent Hill… but it’s not the only one | VGC

Medium dev says its next game is based on an existing horror IP from 'a famous publisher'

www.relyonhorror.com

Masahiro Ito, Former Silent Hill Art Director, Confirms His New Game Is Still On Track - Rely on Horror

Silent Hill creature designer and art director Masahiro Ito confirmed via Twitter that he's still working on his mysterious new title.
Let's be real... longtime SH fans won't be happy regardless of how this shakes out.

Oct 25, 2017
First. The screenshots look absolutely fine to me. I'm not going to assume things about the game off of 4 screen shots.

Can't wait to see more.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Let's be real... longtime SH fans won't be happy regardless of how this shakes out.
I disagree. Konami has cancelled three games that most fans would have happy with. That's no excuse for this.

www.resetera.com

Let's clear this up: Team Silent was making a Silent Hill 5, and it (and they) got canned by Konami

Basically what the title says. For a while I've been kind of annoyed at the misconception of what exactly happened to the "Silent Hill Team". For some reason, it's a popular belief that the team just quietly gave up after the release of Silent Hill 4: The Room and Konami immediacy outsourced the...

Let's not blame the fans because Konami has mismanaged the property since 2006.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Konami has cancelled three games most fans would have happy with. That's no excuse for this.

Silent Hill - Wikipedia

www.resetera.com

Let's clear this up: Team Silent was making a Silent Hill 5, and it (and they) got canned by Konami

Basically what the title says. For a while I've been kind of annoyed at the misconception of what exactly happened to the "Silent Hill Team". For some reason, it's a popular belief that the team just quietly gave up after the release of Silent Hill 4: The Room and Konami immediacy outsourced the...

Let's not blame the fans because Konami has mismanaged the property since 2006.

TBH you can't assume fans would have been happy with games that never got released. Like yes, I'd rather Team Silent make the games, but they just never came to fruition. So I can't say people would have liked them.

And I gotta agree with person you quoted. At this stage even if the games are good. I feel most SH fans are going to have problems if it's not the second coming of SH2.

Oct 29, 2017

www.relyonhorror.com

What screenshots? Did I miss something?

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
First. The screenshots look absolutely fine to me. I'm not going to assume things about the game off of 4 screen shots.

Can't wait to see more.
It's not really an assumption. One of the screenshots has a girl with the words "I hate myself" and "fat b*tch" scribbled on her forehead, which is a pretty big indicator that this is another misinterpretive "town helps people with mental problems" game.

The other screenshots also look generic. If this is real and it's the only Silent Hill we're getting, hopefully the rest of the game looks a lot better than this.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Trolling over a sensitive subject
That screenshot of the woman with the writing on her. Did Jim Ryan write those?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I was expecting the screenshots to be less...colorful? I always associated Silent Hill with darkness and grotesque imagery but those screenshots look too clean and pretty for me.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It's not really an assumption. One of the screenshots has a girl with the words "I hate myself" and "fat b*tch" scribbled on her forehead, which is a pretty big indicator that this is another misinterpretive "town helps people with mental problems" game.

The other screenshots also look generic. If this is real and it's the only Silent Hill we're getting, hopefully the rest of the game looks a lot better than this.

Well, I mean it is an assumption because we're judging the game based on 4 screenshots/concept art designs with no context years before the production is going to be/might be finished. I do think it's fair to say maybe we should wait for more to come out before tilting our judgement either way, even if you don't particularly like the look of said screens.

You might be right, but I'm going to wait a bit to see what the actual game looks like.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
TBH you can't assume fans would have been happy with games that never got released. Like yes, I'd rather Team Silent make the games, but they just never came to fruition. So I can't say people would have liked them.

And I gotta agree with person you quoted. At this stage even if the games are good. I feel most SH fans are going to have problems if it's not the second coming of SH2.
I'm sorry, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that most Silent Hill fans would've been okay with Silent Hill 5 from Team Silent and a 2013 sequel from the series co-creator (Masahiro Ito).

The 2013 sequel also had fantastic concept art and actually looks like a Silent Hill game, as opposed to this.

You're also ignoring the fact that the response to P.T. and Silent Hills was nearly universally positive. Let's not act like fans are the problem just because Konami doesn't understand their own IPs.

What screenshots? Did I miss something?

Oct 29, 2017

Hi. Can you point me in the direction of that particular message or Tweet by Dusk Golem? Thanks in advance.

Darkknight2149 Thanks for the pics. I'm ambivalent about them, but I'm excited for more Silent Hill games.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The 2013 sequel also had fantastic concept art and actually looks like a Silent Hill game, as opposed to this.

I mean this is almost literally nothing lol. If you were excited over this concept art I don't see much of a difference between this and what we got today, other than "fat b*tch" being on the face of a character.

Furthermore, literally none of these games released. To insinuate that people would have been happy is a non-starter.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Said it before and I will say it again..I really hope there is a new GOOD SH game for the sake of SH fans sanity

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I mean this is almost literally nothing lol. If you were excited over this concept art I don't see much of a difference between this and what we got today, other than "fat b*tch" being on the face of a character.

Furthermore, literally none of these games released. To insinuate that people would have been happy is a non-starter.
I'm sorry, but this is a bad take. The concept art of the 2013 game looks far better than the generic un-Silent Hilly screenshots that were leaked today. It's honestly not even close.

As for everything else, I can only repeat:

I'm sorry, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that most Silent Hill fans would've been okay with Silent Hill 5 from Team Silent and a 2013 sequel from the series co-creator (Masahiro Ito).

You're also ignoring the fact that the response to P.T. and Silent Hills was nearly universally positive. Let's not act like fans are the problem just because Konami doesn't understand their own IPs.

Castlevania and Metal Gear fans aren't very big fans of Konami either, but I guess the common denominator (Konami) isn't the problem. The fans are.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm sorry, but this is a bad take. The concept art of the 2013 game looks far better than the generic un-Silent Hilly screenshots that were leaked today. It's honestly not even close.

As for everything else, I can only repeat:

Castlevania and Metal Gear fans aren't very big fans of Konami either, but I guess the common denominator (Konami) isn't the problem. The fans are.

I think it's totally fair to not hold much faith in Konami, God knows they've earned it, I just think that judging this game before we even know the developer, concept, etc. might be jumping the gun a bit early. And saying that those concept arts would likely have led to good games is likely also jumping the gun as well. Even if they looked okay in concept, it's impossible to tell how they would have played or what their stories would have been.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweet Christmas! Silent Hill!?
Looking good! It's different but that's exactly the direction I want the series to take. Hopefully it's a good developer behind it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

www.resetera.com

Hoyoverse (they make Genshin Impact) launches teaser site for new game, Zenless Zone Zero, reveal May 13th

Fuck. Already spent enough money on getting a Raiden and a Miko in both Honkai and Genshin. Between this and Rail, I gotta get two more of each.

I really like the look of this! Genshin Impact was a lot of fun back when I played it. I didn't keep up with it, because time, but if this game is as fun, I'll definitely give it a go!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So if Sony is involved and its most likely being developed by the Japanese developer, maybe this is a Deviation/Haven situation where the studio is new and Sony is partnering with them. Though I'm not sure how they mange to get the SH IP.
Best I can come up with is that some key SH developers quit Konami and started a new studio which caught Sony's eye. Maybe even the remnants of Japan Studio devs went there.🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Despite what Dusk said about Sony being involved we should still wait for an official reveal.

Also someone said in the SH thread. What if KatharsisT was actually right about this project? 😂

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So if Sony is involved and its most likely being developed by the Japanese developer, maybe this is a Deviation/Haven situation where the studio is new and Sony is partnering with them. Though I'm not sure how they mange to get the SH IP.
Best I can come up with is that some key SH developers quit Konami and started a new studio which caught Sony's eye. Maybe even the remnants of Japan Studio devs went there.🤔
Well, the answer is simple. Sony bought Konami.

/s

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I really like the look of this! Genshin Impact was a lot of fun back when I played it. I didn't keep up with it, because time, but if this game is as fun, I'll definitely give it a go!

Yeah boob jiggle aside I love the style. Never really got into Genshin because the performance on base PS4 was atrocious, but I think it got better with patches so maybe I'll give it another go.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
imo the only way they can come back from this mess looking ok is a full apology and a pro-choice / woman's rights message at the beginning of their next PS Showcase really.

And maybe well replace Jim Ryan.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Came back to the Jim Ryan stuff. Haven't caught up fully but it is quite tone deaf to send such an email when its such a sensitive time and goes against most of your studios positions on the matter. Heck there was a Bungie statement a few days ago too and you'd think he'd be aware of it?

What a sad thing to see, I hope people learn not to worship and idolize human beings and make them bigger then they are from this and I hope Jim learns from said mistake and makes a sincere apology.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
What if KatharsisT was actually right about this project? 😂
She claimed that Keiichiro Toyama, Masahiro Ito, and Japan Studio were making it. Not only is this clearly not Toyama or Ito's work, but Toyama is actively developing something else and Japan Studio has been shut down.

Ito is also still working on the same thing he was working on in early-2020, so that rumour was a dud.

www.relyonhorror.com

Status
Not open for further replies.