• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
We can all think Jim Ryan is shit and stupid as fuck for sending that out that email.

But he's also not in this position because he's a likeable guy. Regardless of what anyone overall thinks of him he knows the business and he's helping PS make money. That's all that matter to investors and potentially his bosses as well.

The only way I see him leaving is on his own accord, or he's fired by his bosses because their losing money or the devs start speaking up.

Most people don't read past a headline so unfortunately I feel many people will see Jim Ryan says to "respect the opinions of others" and most people aren't going to take issue with that.

I think Era and Twitter calling for/thinking he will resign over this is kinda wild.

This is how a lot of older dudes who feel they live in a "pc" culture have handled this situation in similar positions as him. I work in local government in PR and the headaches alone this week from these men speaking about this topic is unfathomable.

At most we'll get a PR "I misspoke" comment by tomorrow or Monday. That's it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I think Era and Twitter calling for/thinking he will resign over this is kinda wild.

This is how a lot of older dudes who feel they live in a "pc" culture have handled this situation in similar positions as him. I work in local government in PR and the headaches alone this week from these men speaking about this topic is unfathomable.

Yeah, this is my expectation as well.

This forum and (parts of) Twitter lean a lot further left than most places. I like that, it's part of the reason I come here and not the alt-right cesspools that are most other online gaming communities, but I doubt most are going to react as strongly to this as we are.

Last edited:

JustACreeper

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
User banned (permanent): Troll account
MOD EDIT: Post reverted

Jim isn't getting fired. He never even mentioned Roe v Wade in the letter and talked mostly about his infatuation with dogs. (He doesn't even own one apparently lol). Plus, the whole conversation is already dead on Twitter and mostly everybody was only talking about his dog comments to begin with. Big ol' nothing burger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I don't typically think of a CEO when I play video games, but I can understand how it can sour one's perception of a brand or company.
For me it's more that if the CEO thinks that way and voices that kind of shit opinion, it emboldens the employees who think that way to be more open with their shit ass opinions. And in an industry that already mistreats, abuses and assaults women openly, that's the last thing we need. It's basically the Trump effect. He's being an open racist piece of shit so that means it must be okay for me to be an open racist piece of shit. And I'm not here for that.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I just got a huge update on the Silent Hill game in development, and I'm debating how and what to share. But I'll talk more about it pretty soon, thought I'd mention it here first as been talked about here first. See what's okay for me to talk about publicly. But the update I got is MASSIVE and is legit.
www.resetera.com

Silent Hill Community |OT| In Our Restless Dreams, We See That Town OT

Who's that Pokemon? (Robbie) It comes out 27 April. Masahiro Ito discussing the Bubble Head Nurse figure: Also:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's more that if the CEO thinks that way and voices that kind of shit opinion, it emboldens the employees who think that way to be more open with their shit ass opinions. And in an industry that already mistreats, abuses and assaults women openly, that's the last thing we need. It's basically the Trump effect. He's being an open racist piece of shit so that means it must be okay for me to be an open racist piece of shit. And I'm not here for that.

We all know companies going to do what best for them .
Like when companies give money to Rep or do both side thing etc etc .
At this point you can't find big company \people and i not talking gaming only that not fucking up the place .

www.resetera.com

Who's that Pokemon? (Robbie) It comes out 27 April. Masahiro Ito discussing the Bubble Head Nurse figure: Also:

OMG here we go again LMAO .

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
That 30% can choose a different job or just shut the fuck up
In an ideal world, yes. But no company is lose money over a social issue like this. Honestly, there is a much deeper and bigger problem with how it's gotten to this point in America and now suddenly having these expectations from corporations is borderline delusional. This 30% should have been called out long long time ago.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I do think the one thing that might get this looked at more seriously internally is that it was Schreier writing for Bloomberg and not, say, Kotaku or something. Don't get me wrong, I think gaming journalism is legitimate, but I also think these companies take it a lot more seriously when they're getting attention from a business site as large as Bloomberg.

That being said, I don't think this will do a thing to their stock price. Hell, Sony is up 2% in Japan right now.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It's just mistake after mistake with Jimbo. Shawn, House and Shu didn't have any fuckups even close to this. And it's such a no brainer, stand with the ones who risk losing their rights and don't give legitimacy to the ones trying to take said rights away.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Even then, abortion rights are supported by a pretty solid majority of the American public.

I can't take anyone seriously who claims to be for abortion rights and then votes Republican. That party has made repealing Roe part of their platform. The idiots in Maine who returned Collins to the Senate are a good example. You're not actually for abortion rights if you vote for a Senator who confirmed Kavanaugh.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Whether it gets any direct results is a seperate matter; the important thing is to give a voice and starting to speak up about these issues, because that's how we can start to get action and accountability.

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

pyramid-head-dancing-pyramid-head.gif

Was about to go to sleep but I might wait a little more then.

XB1NH0

Dec 7, 2017
In an ideal world, yes. But no company is lose money over a social issue like this. Honestly, there is a much deeper and bigger problem with how it's gotten to this point in America and now suddenly having these expectations from corporations is borderline delusional. This 30% should have been called out long long time ago.
the problem is that it seems to be 30% not only in companies but in society as a whole. here in Brazil our illustrious president still has 30% of the electorate despite all the homophobic, anti-vaccine, contempt for the environment speeches etc.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
the problem is that it seems to be 30% not only in companies but in society as a whole. here in Brazil our illustrious president still has 30% of the electorate despite all the homophobic, anti-vaccine, contempt for the environment speeches etc.
Believe me, I know all about it. At least your country still has minority support for the clownshow, ours is straight up in the majority.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take anyone seriously who claims to be for abortion rights and then votes Republican. That party has made repealing Roe part of their platform. The idiots in Maine who returned Collins to the Senate are a good example. You're not actually for abortion rights if you vote for a Senator who confirmed Kavanaugh.

Don't live in the USA but this make 100% sense they have been trying to do this for decades .

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Hello darkness, my old friend.....

pyramid-head-dancing-pyramid-head.gif

Was about to go to sleep but I might wait a little more then.

Transistor just approved the leak and gave Dusk Golem the greenlight at the Silent Hill Community OT:

www.resetera.com

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

The problem is that a lack of a stance is just as bad really. At a time when everyone should be rallying behind women, having no stance is a negative, as silence is as seen as affirmation, rightly or wrongly. Nothing is going to change if public figures don't take a stance, so for this to come from the President of one of the largest gaming brands is just... bad. Especialy an industry that has had a history of suppressing women and taking advantage of them. Playstation has been so pro-LGBTQ and Vaccines and whatnot, for them to do this is just strange and stupid and tonedeaf.

The fact that more gaming companies aren't coming out for womens rights is bad; I have only seen Bungie, although maybe I missed others. But this is the opposite. This is just telling people to chill essentially while half the nation gets fucked over.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Saw many more devs reacting to the statement and I really hope they manage to do something, I know this is extremely hard in the hell hole that is corporate america but feels kinda hopeless otherwise.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

100%. Most that happens is he does a backpedal and offers some limp apology. Unless there is SIGNIFICANT pressure that gains the notice of the shareholders there isnt a chance in hell Jim is ousted over this.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
if I'm at any Sony operated or funded studio I don't clock another minute until at minimum a suspension and a 3rd party fields complaints/investigates to see if there is more beneath the surface. On it's face alone though, its a pretty damn bad move for a person who generally doesn't seem to be that well liked by his peers. People seem to much prefer to interact with Shu or Hulst then Ryan, and from what I have seen publicly I can't say I blame them.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if I'm at any Sony operated or funded studio I don't clock another minute until at minimum a suspension and a 3rd party fields complaints/investigates to see if there is more beneath the surface. On it's face alone though, its a pretty damn bad move for a person who generally doesn't seem to be that well liked by his peers. People seem to much prefer to interact with Shu or Hulst then Ryan, and from what I have seen publicly I can't say I blame them.
Not everyone has the luxury to go without pay or put their job on the line. This isn't a unionized industry.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Saw many more devs reacting to the statement and I really hope they manage to do something, I know this is extremely hard in the hell hole that is corporate america but feels kinda hopeless otherwise.

Truth of the matter is Jim leaving , companies supporting devs , people speaking out etc
At this point seem to late but the more support the better .

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
An uplifting reaction to this would be the staff throughout Sony studios stepping forward to make plain-language support of healthcare privacy and abortion known, if only being short of an official stance. It should actually make every party happy (aside from theocrats) if the underlying beliefs are actually about free speech, mutual respect, and individual freedoms (rather than a vile, subversive lie in a conscious effort to oppress others).

Upper management needs to be removed for this. Whether that's Ryan or more, I don't think less is acceptable when we're talking about prevaricating re: people's fucking human rights. And if not? Rot. The whole publisher can rot for all I care if they're this ambivalent to those rights. This hobby is filled with incredible work by people with worldviews compatible with civil rights, and with only so many hours in a day to enjoy games, my resources would be better spent there.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

This is not realistic. What he said was pretty typical corporate speak, unfortunately. Especially in gaming, Bungie has been the exception here, not the rule.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud of all of us standing up for what's right. Fuck Jim Ryan and this slime ball limp dick email. Fuck him hard. More people at the head of big tech companies need to come out RIGHT NOW and support Roe v. Wade. Good on Bungie.

Fuck all the CEO's who don't want to stir up controversy for investors. They'll come out and say "we support women's rights" when the Roe is revoked. Mark my words. Meanwhile, they need to come out and support women RIGHT NOW. That's what's going to matter. Put the pressure on the SC right now! This is important NOW more than EVER.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
With the Silent Hill images and the PS5 circle icon. I hope for PSVR2 compatibility haptics and everything since it looks first-person.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As someone who has thought Jim Ryan was unfairly maligned in the past due to his lack of PR, this was also extremely disappointing on that front, and really shows that I should just shut the hell up about what executives I bat for, since they are all probably rotten to some degree. Although if it turns out Shu is a bad guy I will quit gaming.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, If Sony actually decides to do something, I'm guessing they'll just put someone else (Hermen?) to appear at events, interviews, etc while Ryan continues to work in the background. Layden was head of the first party studios and yet he appeared more than Andrew House in the mid/late PS4 lifespan.

Remember that Jim Ryan is one the VPs of the whole company, not just PlayStation.
This was Jim in the background. It's a leaked internal memo.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Man, Horizon really kicks your teeth in when you get further west, huh? I'm playing on easy but they game still throws a whole bunch of tough enemies at you. Guess I need to keep grinding.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Just waking up and see pages throttled up from 63 to 71 with 100 posts per page.

I thought it's something like Ragnarok cancelled to 2023, Square Enix acquisition, something like that, and then realized the OT title change.

oof-old-man.gif

After the whatever fiscal report & no news week, this happen... 🤦

This guy really don't have talent with PR even though before/after being CEO huh...?

Who want to play that backward-compatibility...
Believe in generations...
Cross play...
The Middle East comment...
And now this...

At least new rumors for Silent Hill this Friday. 🤷

Status
Not open for further replies.