• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'ma say this right now in this thread, for all to hear. Both sides-ing this shit? Nah. That's a bad fucking idea. You don't get to both sides shit when people are trying to take rights away from others.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
OK yeah that's an even better title!

Seriously, will there be any repercussions for this? You'd figure Sony are a pretty progressive company and enough people up top would be pissed off too but this has me slightly more concerned about the culture there.
Sony, like most corporations, doesn't have any ideology attached to them. They exist only to make a profit and to make investors happy. If something or someone impacts their bottom line, then they will have to leave.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

Seriously, will there be any repercussions for this? You'd figure Sony are a pretty progressive company and enough people up top would be pissed off too but this has me slightly more concerned about the culture there.
I hope they do. I'd be pretty disappointed if they don't do anything.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

"Progressive company" is an oxymoron.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Call me crazy but what if we spend the fraction of the effort telling women what to do with their bodies (especially men that just have to do the deed and then chill for 9 months) what if instead use the energy and money to end say, child famine?.

Or once they are born is pretty much "fuck them kids".?

Nah I'm sorry, we have no say in women bodies, especially men.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the days when the dumbest thing about Jim Ryan was his take on older GT titles.

What a fuck up on his part. Don't try to play both sides on an issue that takes away someone's right to what goes on with their body.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, nothing will happen. There's a slim chance he may address it in some way via a followup email apologizing for addressing the subject in a tone deaf manner, but that's it. I sort of doubt even that will happen. There's a 0% chance he will take a side.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'ma say this right now in this thread, for all to hear. Both sides-ing this shit? Nah. That's a bad fucking idea. You don't get to both sides shit when people are trying to take rights away from others.

Perfect timing to have this at the top of the page but I just wanna say: this. There is no both sides here - you either want women to have the right to choose what they do with their bodies or you don't.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling with regards to reproductive health and bodily autonomy
I'm shocked that some people don't realize that a lot of people are religious and don't believe in abortion especially at a large company like Sony. He should have said as a company we believe a woman has a right to choose but we also want people to respect other's opinion. This idea that everyone feels the same at a company is ridiculous now people are calling him a racist wtf !? Republicans have made everyone extreme overnight Jimbo screwed up by not having a full fledged statement but the overreaction is fucking stunning.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that some people don't realize that a lot of people are religious and don't believe in abortion especially at a large company like Sony. He should have said as a company we believe a woman has a right to choose but we also want people to respect other's opinion. This idea that everyone feels the same at a company is ridiculous now people are calling him a racist wtf !? Republicans have made everyone extreme overnight Jimbo screwed up by not having a full fledged statement but the overreaction is fucking stunning.

Jim is the "genius" who tried to argue that Sony brought gaming to the Middle East. Dude basically has zero cognizance of anything outside of his lane.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Do you not remember his racist comments about the Middle East? And no, people don't need to respect the opinions of a group of people that are trying to take women's rights away.

Oct 25, 2017

I do not think this is what you want to do

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I don't even think the fucking Bible has a firm stance on abortion and some religions do support it (Judaism for example iirc), so the "religious" argument is mostly reactionary Evangelicals and Catholics who want to take away women's rights.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
People on the "other side" of this topic don't deserve anyone respecting their opinion, just as these people don't respect women's rights

SectionZ

Banned
Sep 27, 2021
I'm thinking Ragnarok is summer release. Like June or July. The last of us and ghosts did great during those months. I also like the slow news. Just means there will be a big blowout soon. Hopefully

Oct 25, 2017
Woulda could've should've been, he chose to release that statement he gonna get shit for it. Stop this shit

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Again with this both side bulshit sigh
and also
www.resetera.com

IGN Middle East: No, Jim Ryan - Gaming In The Middle East Existed Long Before PlayStation News - Sony

https://me.ign.com/en/ps5/190381/feature/no-jim-ryan-gaming-in-the-middle-east-existed-long-before-playstation From the article, some names weighing in: I'm not even really sure what to make of a statement like that. It's... very obviously wrong. Did he think nobody would notice a lie...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These are my posts about the thread title Nepenthe

I have never been anything other than in support of women's reproductive rights. I lost a friend due to complications in child birth. I couldn't possibly be anything other than supportive of a woman's right to choose.

I'm not annoyed at you for not being on my side or whatever. I'm telling you that the one you conveniently left out:

PlayStation Studios |OT28| \o/ Fuck Jim Ryan

In this specific situation I think that's kinda immature.

I understand the sentiment. But a positive message in support of women's reproductive rights really conveys the message we should be sending. In my humble opinion, of course.

Was lame as fuck. Saying "fuck you" to bigots for saying bigoted shit is inherently a message in support of anti-bigotry. Who gives a fuck if it's "immature?"

GamrzPeterz

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Troll Account
I am trying to read the middle east comments from jim, and really, where is the racist part? please, somebody tag me with the exact quote of him saying something RACIST about that?

what I am reading is, playstation didnd exist there before, things like that, man, please, i need to understand, what is racist and what not, I feel some people is really sensitive or i dont know, please again, tag me in the racist quote to see what it is

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Make Figboy CEO
I trust that man with my life

XD XD aw, thanks!

But oh lord, me being the CEO of anything:

community-troy-fire-gif.gif

SectionZ

Banned
Sep 27, 2021
There has to be some surprise game announcements from Sony coming soon. It's been a little too quiet. And now with all the delays it feels like the perfect time to let us know what they have planned for the future.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Oh we do realize that. The thing is, those people can go fuck themselves.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Jim Ryan's statements reek of sexism, but there's also a distinct layer of classicism in his statement about "dogs knowing their place." Sorry Jim, but employees are not your monkey. They're talent-for-hire, plain and simple. The sooner American corporations learn this, the better.

Abortion is a human rights issue, not a matter of "respectful disagreement." Without abortion, women will get it on the black market and die. Women will have complications during pregnancy that require emergency abortions and die. And children will grow up living hellish lives under orphanages and unwilling parents.

A fetus doesn't have a consciousness or central nervous system for the first chunk of the pregnancy, so the "rights" of the fetus don't even enter the conversation when it comes to full abortion bans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to read the middle east comments from jim, and really, where is the racist part? please, somebody tag me with the exact quote of him saying something RACIST about that?

what I am reading is, playstation didnd exist there before, things like that, man, please, i need to understand, what is racist and what not, I feel some people is really sensitive or i dont know, please again, tag me in the racist quote to see what it is

Read the quote:

One of the things that I am proud about there is that we kind of pushed the envelope. We opened up markets that had never had any gaming culture ever. Middle East… people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East. Russia had a tiny gaming industry before PlayStation. Spain had a very small gaming industry before PlayStation. So we really pushed the envelope geographically.

He's literally pretending Playstation brought gaming to the Middle East. That's what people think is racist, the belief that his company somehow brought gaming to an entire region of the world like some kind of savior. Anyone from the Middle East can tell you that video games existed there before Playstation.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
We literally had a member of the GOP say that even abortion of ectopic pregnancies shouldn't be allowed. This is an attack on women/people who can get pregnant rights, you covering it with "religious differences " is exactly what the Republicans want.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
and that... is racism? my god... didnt know, for me, what an exageration to say that is racist, hopefully you can respect my opinion

It's stunningly racially insensitive, and it's yet another in a long line of unprompted gaffes by Jim, a man who clearly CANNOT make a statement without fucking it up somehow.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I really do think he might go. I know sexism is rife in the game industry but rarely do you get something so obvious and so explicit. He's caught red handed. Fuck off Jim.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, yeah, I see now. Yeah I wasn't doubting that people are talking about it, I was more wondering if there have been arguments that rise above the level deemed appropriate for workplace discussion, thus Ryan felt the need to address it.

I'm pretty sure that that was the case.

Discussions like this happen at work, and can get really intense and heated. We usually have dedicated Slack channels for hot button topics, although, in the case of women's rights and what's going on with Roe v. Wade, I'm at least pleased to say that from what I've seen, our studio is aligned on it, and supportive of it.

I have a feeling that what prompted this email was probably some intense discussions that came up around the office concerning it, and Jim felt he needed to address it, in the most idiotic and tone deaf way possible. Fuck him.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
There has to be some surprise game announcements from Sony coming soon. It's been a little too quiet. And now with all the delays it feels like the perfect time to let us know what they have planned for the future.
I'm betting it's a september thing. I think trying to read into yearly patterns of Sony has proven fruitless.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
I'm not annoyed at you for not being on my side or whatever. I'm telling you that the one you conveniently left out:

Was lame as fuck. Saying "fuck you" to bigots for saying bigoted shit is inherently a message in support of anti-bigotry. Who gives a fuck if it's "immature?"

I sent you this as a PM but in order to clear any miscommunication I'll post it here too...

I apologize without reservation if any part of my post suggested or alluded to my intention being anything other than support for women's choices. To me, having the title say "Fuck Jim ryan" could possibly lead to someone not familiar with the issue missing the point. And including a positive message about women's rights specifically would make sure the message wasn't lost.
If the word immature distorted that then again, my apologies. Abortion rights and woman's right to choose is a very real issue for me.

Respectfully.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Read the quote:
One of the things that I am proud about there is that we kind of pushed the envelope. We opened up markets that had never had any gaming culture ever. Middle East… people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East. Russia had a tiny gaming industry before PlayStation. Spain had a very small gaming industry before PlayStation. So we really pushed the envelope geographically.

He's literally pretending Playstation brought gaming to the Middle East. That's what people think is racist, the belief that his company somehow brought gaming to an entire region of the world like some kind of savior. Anyone from the Middle East can tell you that video games existed there before Playstation.
"Spain had a very small gaming industry before PlayStation" holy fucking shit lmfao. PC gaming, the MegaDrive and SNES were all massive for the time in this country.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Sony, like most corporations, doesn't have any ideology attached to them. They exist only to make a profit and to make investors happy. If something or someone impacts their bottom line, then they will have to leave.
Fair point.

I hope they do. I'd be pretty disappointed if they don't do anything.
Me too. This might just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

"Progressive company" is an oxymoron.
Hmm I see what you're saying.

No, nothing will happen. There's a slim chance he may address it in some way via a followup email apologizing for addressing the subject in a tone deaf manner, but that's it. I sort of doubt even that will happen. There's a 0% chance he will take a side.
I dunno. This seems to have resonated with not just many fans and media but also PlayStation employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.