• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Well it IS the topic of discussion now and will be for the foreseeable future. Maybe he was pressured to say something? I'm sure there has been a lot of talk among coworkers about this. And just being realistic here. Not everyone is going to be on the same page.

Now he could have just said nothing. But I assume he was trying to be neutral wit this email which we see how that turned out.
Yeah I could see this happened

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
Bungie literally gave him a blueprint on how to handle the topic, but he decided to talk about his cats

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
lol "immature", what garbage

who gives a shit what's immature or not we're on a videogame forum

Abortion rights is a serious issue. JIm's comments are being taken as stealth support. Women are dying because of the continuous push to strip them of their reproductive rights.

Saying "Fuck Jim Ryan" is immature, is perhaps the wrong choice of words. But I do think it misses the opportunity to send a much more meaningful message.

Just my two cents.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Good title change. Jim Ryan smokin on some bullshit

Jul 25, 2020
This is a very sensitive topic for me personally and one very close to home. I don't think abortion should be illegal but I also think it can be abused. But if you are going to make a point in the vein of neutrality and respect then surely that goes both ways then at least do it right. It feels like he's been forced to comment on this issue at short notice with the look of it. Certainly seems like his words haven't been thought through.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
To me this will be the reason he steps down if he does. A lot of Sony employee's are on twitter and very vocal. Many clearly will not be happy about this. I'm sure studio leads will be having meetings with their staff and coworkers about this entire thing.

I don't see him stepping down over this unless he force ( which i doubt )

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the sentiment. But a positive message in support of women's reproductive rights really conveys the message we should be sending. In my humble opinion, of course.
Saying fuck you to rich people who think my bodily autonomy is negotiable is a positive message in support of my rights, thank you very much.

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Trolling. Dismissing concerns around women's rights. Prior severe ban for dismissing concerns around representation. Account in junior phase.
Abortion rights is a serious issue. JIm's comments are being taken as stealth support. Women are dying because of the continuous push to strip them of their reproductive rights.

Saying "Fuck Jim Ryan" is immature, is perhaps the wrong choice of words. But I do think it misses the opportunity to send a much more meaningful message.

Just my two cents.
Were you expecting constructive criticism? We must counter immaturity with more immaturity!

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
This is a very sensitive topic for me personally and one very close to home. I don't think abortion should be illegal but I also think it can be abused. But if you are going to make a point in the vein of neutrality and respect then surely that goes both ways then at least do it right. It feels like he's been forced to comment on this issue at short notice with the look of it. Certainly seems like his words haven't been thought through.
There is no neutrality, when you say it's ok to respect people who are agaist it, it's like saying it's ok for people to control my body

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Already seeing "Brave PlayStation" comments. DeSantis gonna rock a Vita at his pressers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There is no neutrality, when you say it's ok to respect people who are agaist it, it's like saying it's ok for people to control my body

yep from reading this part of the email , they going for the both side aspect but fuck that .

"PlayStation president Jim Ryan didn't take a stance on abortion rights, instead writing that the company and its community are "multi-faceted and diverse, holding many different points of view." He wrote that "we owe it to each other and to PlayStation's millions of users to respect differences of opinion among everyone in our internal and external communities. Respect does not equal agreement. But it is fundamental to who we are as a company and as a valued global brand."

Jul 25, 2020

In the way that people are literally using it as a form of contraception in the UK. Abortions are performed every day because people weren't careful. My dads ex fiancee purposefully had an abortion to spite my dad when they broke up. My dad had no say in the matter and my older half sisters and I lost a brother. It made it worse when my dad moved from fabricating welding to do his nursing qualifications and part of that was on a birthing/gynae ward and some days he'd come home in tears. He wasn't there for very long before he was moved to oncology.

Oct 25, 2017
The comments in the reddit thread are just crazy.

I said this earlier in the thread. Many people probably will silently agree with this stance. Even more probably won't see anything wrong with it.

I have no idea why the fuck he brought up the whole pet issue. While his statement with the whole respecting others opinion is shitty. I think if he left it at that he could come up with a decent apology. The whole animal thing trivializes the entire thing.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Jim heard that y'all wanted some news to spur discussion

He really just put his foot in his mouth for no reason 🤣

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
Saying fuck you to rich people who think my bodily autonomy is negotiable is a positive message in support of my rights, thank you very much.

Wowzers.

I'm in full support of your reproductive choices.

As a brother to sisters, nephew to aunts and aunts in law, and a friend of more women than I can mention, I just want to make sure that that point is crystal clear.

If anything I've posted on this forum suggests otherwise then please point that out to me.

Jul 25, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling over reproductive rights and bodily autonomy

So in other words because they don't agree with you, they're the enemy. Got it.

Again, I'm not an advocate in making abortion illegal but I can respect both sides, as I can with most things in life. I've pretty much had to come to live like that in the modern society and workplace.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
In the way that people are literally using it as a form of contraception in the UK. Abortions are performed every day because people weren't careful. My dads ex fiancee purposefully had an abortion to spite my dad when they broke up. My dad had no say in the matter and my older half sisters and I lost a brother. It made it worse when my dad moved from fabricating welding to do his nursing qualifications and part of that was on a birthing/gynae ward and some days he'd come home in tears. He wasn't there for very long before he was moved to oncology.
I'm sorry about what you and your dad had to go through, I really am. But Women should always have the right to abortion and no men should be able to tell them what to do.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Again, I'm not an advocate in making abortion illegal but I can respect both sides, as I can with most things in life. I've pretty much had to come to live like that in the modern society and workplace.
Well, how is the stance that promotes removing bodily autonomy morally good in the first place?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said this earlier in the thread. Many people probably will silently agree with this stance. Even more probably won't see anything wrong with it.

I have no idea why the fuck he brought up the whole pet issue. While his statement with the whole respecting others opinion is shitty. I think if he left it at that he could come up with a decent apology. The whole animal thing trivializes the entire thing.
The most charitable reading I can give it is that he was thinking "Let me try to diffuse this highly emotional and divisive subject that I brought up by ending my email on something positive and light." Obviously it just came off as completely tone deaf though.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wowzers.

I'm in full support of your reproductive choices.

As a brother to sissters, nephew to aunts and aunts in law, and a friend of more women than I can mention I just want to make sure that that point is crystal clear.

If anything I've posted on this forum suggests otherwise then please point that out to me.
I don't care how many women you have in your life. No one is impressed by your concern trolling that the subtitle being at one point simply "Fuck Jim Ryan" was too "immature."

He doesn't deserve respect for what he emailed today.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Good title change, thank you Transistor

Nah, "both sides" doesn't work when one group is trying to take away rights from the other one.

If you don't like abortions, great, don't get one. But get fucked for trying to dictate what other people do with their bodies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The most charitable reading I can give it is that he was thinking "Let me try to diffuse this highly emotional and divisive subject that I brought up by ending my email on something positive and non-controversial" Obviously it just came off as completely tone deaf though.

yep would be better if left off that part but it made things worst .

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022

One side say you do what you want with your body, the other remove woman right to their body so Yeah they're is no both side

Oct 25, 2017

Here's the thing. You can PERSONALLY not like abortion or even agree with it. But if you're ok with taking away the right for a person to decide if they want one then yes you are an enemy.

The only thing this is going to lead to is people have unsafe abortions. Just look at some of the laws in Texas and elsewhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There really is no both sides here, LLP. There is one side that respect's a woman's right to make choices with her own body and there is a side that wants women to have less rights. This isn't a discussion, there is no debate to be had.

The pro-choice side isn't forcing women to have abortions. We just want women to have the option available to them when they need it. Meanwhile the pro-life side wants to force women to carry babies to term even when it could be fatal for them to do so.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

One side is literally wanting to deny autonomy to women. That side is not deserving of respect.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
OK yeah that's an even better title!

Seriously, will there be any repercussions for this? You'd figure Sony are a pretty progressive company and enough people up top would be pissed off too but this has me slightly more concerned about the culture there.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
These are my posts about the thread title Nepenthe

PlayStation Studios |OT28| Jimbo, Let The Games Do The Talking, PLEASE!

Honestly, why wait until OT28? Would it hurt to change the title of this thread now? Especially since it will probably still be around for at least a month? Something along the lines of "Respect a woman's right to choose" or something similar?

IDK, just my two cents.

I'm all for this. Who do we talk to about changing the thread title to reaffirm a positive message about women's reproductive rights?

As a collective and a community.

I'm not sure who to tag in this situation.

But we should do that as a community asap.

I have never been anything other than in support of women's reproductive rights. I lost a friend due to complications in child birth. I couldn't possibly be anything other than supportive of a woman's right to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.