• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Used Banned (2 weeks): Ignoring staff post, misrepresenting moderation
So Era's stance on Hogwarts Legacy, which as game that has only the IP in common, and as a game pushes for trans rights due to inclusiveness of these options... Era doesn't support this direction the development team has taken by including trans options. Interesting position you've taken here Era. Your issue is with JK Rowling, NOT the game and the dev team who also share the shame views as people here against her yet they are punished for wanting to share their game.

I will say no more on the matter, or discuss it further of course.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Found this on the Japanese PlayStation Twitter
FN0ZVKNaUAEWdAP
I want them.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The way I see it, if Sony ever decides to debut new PS Studios games for the first time, they would do that through a showcase, not a SoP.
Yep, I just wonder when we will see one.

I'm expecting/hoping for a GoW State of Play in the next couple months. But beyond that, will they wait for May/June, or will they wait until September even?
I have a hard time believing the latter. They will be left with 3 announced games at that point, with nothing quite on the horizon.

They have to show PSVR2 I would think.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Transistor Firstly, I don't disagree with this.

I just want to ask you directly, given the devs efforts to include trans representation, how we as a community navigate trans inclusion, in this particular instance, from those that actually hold the license and are building/creating the trans inclusive game?

All of which is in stark contrast with JK's abhorrent deluge.
An excellent question. So, a couple of things. Firstly, the promise of trans representation is different from the execution of it - that is to say, we'll see how it actually pans out when the game drops before we pat them on the back about it.

Second, the material issues with the property extend far enough that even if the devs do right by trans people in the game itself, there's just too much shit going on outside of it. We'll host discussion of the game when it drops, so people can discuss the merits and failings of the title, but just generating hype isn't something we're comfortable permitting.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Um, just reading the official staff communication... Don't really get the logic.

Is the problem that the author owns the IP or is associated with the IP? or that she stands to make money from it? If it's the later, don't we need to examine major shareholders of any video game companies?

and wondering why we have Edin Ring threads... George R.R. Martin has been accused of being racist and transphobic too.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The way I see it, if Sony ever decides to debut new PS Studios games for the first time, they would do that through a showcase, not a SoP.
Pretty much agreed. The only first party stuff I can see Sony revealing outside their own big showcase is smaller stuff such as a game from PixelOpus (unless the Sly rumors are true) or an independent developer of similar size, or a remaster of a smaller game like the MediEvil remaster/remake we got a few years ago.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Disappointing that Sony went for the marketing rights for HL. That property should be nuclear at this point, but money talks I guess...
The industry is at "Black Live Matter" level of society awareness.
They are only starting to talk about women right (and for SONY, I am not sure they are even there regarding recent events).

They will tackle transphobia in 25 years (if we aren't all dead by then).

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the new Discovery/Warner entity worth somewhere in the area of 120 billion dollars? I too wanted Sony to buy them, until I saw that figure, lol.

That's why I'm solidly putting my chips behind Sony buying Paramount

Does Paramount really have much of value? They seem like one of the worst big movie studios, and they aren't able to launch any successful new franchises.

Give me AAA games, ND!

This is the least surprising news ever. They probably have more than 1 AAA game at some stage of development at any given time over the last 13 years. Probably the same deal with Insomniac, Guerrilla, Gearbox and any number of large development studios.

Jeez; that looks amazing! It really does look close to real life, with how the replay camera work and how smooth the game looks.

Great art, but where is it from?

www.theverge.com

10 years later, there’s still nothing like Journey’s multiplayer

Jenova Chen told us about the development of the game.

Still one of my favourite game experiences. Do we know when their other game is coming to PlayStation; Children of the Sky or something IIRC?

I would have been more excited for a god of war sop

There will be one when the game is approaching launch.

Huh, kinda strange to see a State of Play for a game releasing day one on Xbox too, can't remember if we already had one like that.

Curious to see more but yeah, fuck J.K. Rowling.

I think this is the new normal from now on. Any time Sony has a big timed exclusive or marketing deal on a big game we will probably see an SOP leading up to launch.

So Era's stance on Hogwarts Legacy, which as game that has only the IP in common, and as a game pushes for trans rights due to inclusiveness of these options... Era doesn't support this direction the development team has taken by including trans options. Interesting position you've taken here Era. Your issue is with JK Rowling, NOT the game and the dev team who also share the shame views as people here against her yet they are punished for wanting to share their game.

She has total control over the IP and benefits financially from every part of it, so fuck her and fuck the Harry Potter IP. I'm sure the devs will be fine and the game will still sell like 10+ million copies, even if a relatively small number of people online don't buy it in protest.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Second, the material issues with the property extend far enough that even if the devs do right by trans people in the game itself, there's just too much shit going on outside of it. We'll host discussion of the game when it drops, so people can discuss the merits and failings of the title, but just generating hype isn't something we're comfortable permitting.
This is what I don't understand. Why not just ban all discussion of the game? Creating an OT for a title that is likely going to be one, if not the biggest, games released in years is still generating hype for the game.

With Sony having marketing rights for the title, we'll likely see it again in another PS showcase before its release. Will conversation about it be banned in that context when it's surrounded by other titles?

I just think it's an unclear situation that would be benefit by either banning discussion of the all JKR related subjects or putting stringent staff subjects highlighting the problems surrounding her, while enabling discussion.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Wait, she doesn't have the rights to the HP IP anymore? Or am I misunderstanding you?

JK only owns the publishing and theater rights to HP/And it's characters. Though retained those rights the movie, TV and gaming rights all belong to WB (and I think now Universal).

A lot of stuff coming from that universe has nothing to do with Harry and crew for that reason apparently.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 new hires for Deviation Games.

Ex-Amazon/Blizz who worked on New World and Diablo 3.

Ex-The Initiative and ND who worked on TLOU 1&2, Uncharted 2&4 (I linked a tweet I found googling his name as his LinkedIn is blank of info).

Screenshot_2022-03-14_at_6.12.08_pm.png

Slightly OT, but there's been some high profile departures from The Initiative lately. Their game director and design director (Chris O'Neill, former SMS employee) both left recently along with some other senior employees. Wonder what's going on over there.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Does Paramount really have much of value? They seem like one of the worst big movie studios, and they aren't able to launch any successful new franchises.

Personally I want to see Sony eventually stop taking the "arms dealer" approach to their film/TV content and reign everything in to their own service. Such a service needs a constant flow of content so picking up another company is the easiest way to do so and Paramount has a massive overall library of content that could add to Sony Pictures existing library.

The end goal, I would hope, is for an all-in-one media subscription that folks can subscribe to that includes movies, TV, anime, games and maybe music. Everything under one umbrella to take on the Disney+ and the Netflix of the world. My hope is that Tier 3 of Spartacus will be the starting point of such an initiative that will go full steam ahead in 2-3 years once Sony's deals with Netflix and DIsney+ expire.

Plus I want Sony to own the Star Trek IP so we can finally get a massive budget AAA Trek game made 😁

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are Avalanche who are developing Hogwarts Legacy the same as in Just Cause Avalanche?
Nope. They are entirely different. Hogwarts Legacy Avalanche worked on Disney Infinity before being sold to WB. Avalanche Software= Hogwarts Legacy, Avalanche Studios= Just Cause.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Slightly OT, but there's been some high profile departures from The Initiative lately. Their game director and design director (Chris O'Neill, former SMS employee) both left recently along with some other senior employees. Wonder what's going on over there.

Let's not speculate, it could be for any number of reasons, personal (Drew Murray's case) or otherwise. Besides, its an Xbox studio and posting it in the PS OT is off-topic and prone to 'console-war' hot takes.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
How can I buy these?
I think it is a contest.

It would be cool if they globalized their gear and had those collab stuff like the Parappa The Rapper line of merchandise all show up in a global merch store.

The current merch store is so limited for every region. Combining them together would do so much.
Maybe this?

Dan Neuburger, Game Director on Perfect Dark, has moved on from The Initiative. He was there for a good 3 years and 8 months. I think I slowly start to get the idea behind The Initiative. It looks like it's basically a studio that kicks off a project and carries it through concept, prototype and full pre-production phases, then carrying it over to full-production with assistance of another studio that has the needed manpower, in this case Crystal Dynamics. That also explains the "staying small & agile" comment and also ... The studio's name. While I realise some people will doom & gloom over it again, It could potentially also mean the game is further ahead than people think. 2023 could be on the table I think.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing so much Elden Ring the past two weeks - that game is something special. I really want Sony to work with From Software on a game, feels like they could be really great partners!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Personally I want to see Sony eventually stop taking the "arms dealer" approach to their film/TV content and reign everything in to their own service. Such a service needs a constant flow of content so picking up another company is the easiest way to do so and Paramount has a massive overall library of content that could add to Sony Pictures existing library.

The end goal, I would hope, is for an all-in-one media subscription that folks can subscribe to that includes movies, TV, anime, games and maybe music. Everything under one umbrella to take on the Disney+ and the Netflix of the world. My hope is that Tier 3 of Spartacus will be the starting point of such an initiative that will go full steam ahead in 2-3 years once Sony's deals with Netflix and DIsney+ expire.

Plus I want Sony to own the Star Trek IP so we can finally get a massive budget AAA Trek game made 😁
I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't think Sony has the appetite to digest Paramount nor do the Redstones want to sell their asset to Sony of all prospective buyers.

I think it's arguably the most logical transaction left, and there has been fleeting interest at times (more so, Paramount buying Sony Pictures), but I don't see it happening anymore. Maybe Sony will surprise me though.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't think Sony has the appetite to digest Paramount nor do the Redstones want to sell their asset to Sony of all prospective buyers.

I think it's arguably the most logical transaction left, and there has been fleeting interest at times (more so, Paramount buying Sony Pictures), but I don't see it happening anymore. Maybe Sony will surprise me though.

All I can do is wait and see... and hope with my fingers and toes crossed 🤞

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, weird

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
An excellent question. So, a couple of things. Firstly, the promise of trans representation is different from the execution of it - that is to say, we'll see how it actually pans out when the game drops before we pat them on the back about it.

Not weighing in on the merits of any forum policy: but just wanting some clarity:

Outside of the OT, members are not allowed to discuss the game? Just wondering how that will be enforced as the game's marketing campaign gets rolling.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So you can't discuss the latest PlayStation state of play in the PlayStation thread?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Checking the careers page, Sony posted a job opening for a position titled, "VP, Head of Live Services, PlayStation Studios". Sony is so heavily going into live service games they're looking for someone to manage them separately.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Konami previously renewed the trademark in 2019. Companies have to do this periodically to keep the trademark rights. This could mean a Silent Hill game is coming, but it could also be standard trademark renewal.

comicbook.com

Konami Files New Trademark For Silent Hill

Is Konami getting ready to revive Silent Hill? Well, that's what some fans of the classic horror [...]

Status
Not open for further replies.