• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
User warned: Trolling and hostility

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the games list, the only big question I have at the moment is will the retro games be available for purchase separately and will our purchases from the PS3 store carry over.

I feel like I already know the answer to question number 2 but I want to stay hopeful.
I have a feeling this will be a new library of games, rather than already existing games from PSN store. I wish we got more info seriously.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I just re-upped my PS+ sub the other day, and like...not having the list of games makes this announcement super-weird. I missed a chunk of the PS4 generation (I just finished GoW the other week on my PS5, absolutely amazing), so a list of all the PS4 titles that I'd get with this new tier would have been a way to make me actually interested in it, instead of just thinking "oh, so...I guess we'll find out at some point if this thing you announced is actually worth the money?"

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I just re-upped my PS+ sub the other day, and like...not having the list of games makes this announcement super-weird. I missed a chunk of the PS4 generation (I just finished GoW the other week on my PS5, absolutely amazing), so a list of all the PS4 titles that I'd get with this new tier would have been a way to make me actually interested in it, instead of just thinking "oh, so...I guess we'll find out at some point if this thing you announced is actually worth the money?"

As far as PS4 is concerned you will probably be seeing a lot of what PS Now currently offers.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Probably in the final stages of getting all the licenses done and whatnot. If they publish a list now, you'll see a million "well where is x game, why is the list so barebones" FUD like you saw with the "99% of PS4 games will work on PS5"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well Insomniac's leadership did some stupid shit, again. Rot's really starting to show in SIE.

I dunno if I would use the term "again" when these are the same people speaking out about the same problems with the same game that they were taking about last year shortly after the game released and during the previous Insomniac drama.

Like this is more people reminding everybody of the shitty experiences they had working on Ratchet rather than actually new allegations, as far as I can see.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
As far as PS4 is concerned you will probably be seeing a lot of what PS Now currently offers.
For sure - I'll have to go look at that list, as PS Now was never appealing to me, so I never checked it out! :)

Probably in the final stages of getting all the licenses done and whatnot. If they publish a list now, you'll see a million "well where is x game, why is the list so barebones" FUD like you saw with the "99% of PS4 games will work on PS5"
I'm sure you're right - I guess I wouldn't have announced it until those final stages were completed, that's all. This feels more like an "announcement of an announcement," which is fine! I do think it's part of why there's some conversation about Sony's difficulty in providing concrete information, though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I would use the term "again" when these are the same people speaking out about the same problems with the same game that they were taking about last year shortly after the game released and during the previous Insomniac drama.

Like this is more people reminding everybody of the shitty experiences they had working on Ratchet rather than actually new allegations, as far as I can see.

Yep seem like more info on the stuff we hear a while back .

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Did they state they would update them? It was just for people who are new to the PS ecosystem coming in to PS5 and a nice little bonus for everyone else.

Personally, I never got the impression that the PS+ Collection was going to be updated, and I don't recall them even implying it would be?

It makes sense as an "onboarding" type bonus for new PS5 owners that may not have owned a PS4 or PlayStation console before. Like, "Here's what you missed by being a filthy Xbox/Nintendo supporter, you cretins!" I'm kidding, but I do think the collection was just a nice bit of forward marketing getting newcomers to the PS ecosystem familiar with the variety of IPs PlayStation has, and some 3rd party love for additional added value. Like, getting 19 games without having to pay for more than the cost of your system and a PS+ subscription is pretty sweet if you're a newcomer to PlayStation (and there were certainly a lot of people that never owned a PS4 that got a PS5 on launch).

I guess I never looked at the PS+ Collection as being something for me, specifically, as I'm already in on the PS ecosystem, and owned, like 14 out of the 19-20 games included, but I still think it was a great extra and incentive for PS5 owners to subscribe to PS+ right off the bat, when it's possible they may not have bothered to subscribe to PS+ after getting their PS5's if it was just the standard PS+ content.

Maybe I'm just old and showing my age, but my god, I'd have absolutely killed for services like GamePass and PS+ when I was growing up. I grew up in the 80's, and my mom couldn't afford to buy me a bunch of games as a kid, so I missed out on a lot of classic games back then. When I see services like GP and PS+, and now Nu PS+, I just can't be pessimistic about any of it. Like, I get it, I guess, but not really. PS Now already had hundreds of games I can play for the cost of, what, one or two games a year? PS+ was giving me 2-3 "free" games a month as well. More games than I actually have the time to play, let alone complete, and I don't know, I just can't find it in myself to find the energy to complain about it. When it comes to the marquee, mega games like a Horizon FW or God of War, or Elden Ring, I was going to buy those regardless to support the studios, but for the hundreds of other games I missed from years (even decades) ago? I think these subscription services are great! I personally don't care about day 1 first party games. Sure, that'd be a really cool bonus, but it's not a requirement for me that makes these subscription services appealing to me.

I like the idea of older games, or smaller indie games I may not know about or be interested in buying day one being on the service and I can give them a chance and maybe discover a new favorite game. The amount of money I save just from having access to hundreds of games I'd otherwise have to pay for is justified for me, not necessarily whether or not those games are "the good ones" that were already on my radar in the first place.

I don't suffer from FOMO, so I don't care if I have to wait x amount of months before I can play a game, big tentpole games or otherwise. Very few games I rush out and get day one anyway. There are exceptions (ie, Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring), and sometimes I'll make a spontaneous day one purchase (like I did with Gran Turismo 7, which I didn't intend on buying at all, let alone day one, but it looked so damn good, I ended up getting it, falling in love with it, and buying a racing wheel to play it with a week later lol.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm sure you're right - I guess I wouldn't have announced it until those final stages were completed, that's all. This feels more like an "announcement of an announcement," which is fine! I do think it's part of why there's some conversation about Sony's difficulty in providing concrete information, though.
That's the thing. This has been their marketing tactic since that first Wired article where they revealed some PS5 details. Little bits of information here and there keeps the headlines flowing and keeps them at the top of the news cycle.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Never said that but good job with idiotic hyperbole.

Learn to read.
Sorry if it was misinterpreted, which is why I added "Honestly confused" because I was honestly confused by the comment. But the sentence "Shocker Bloomberg was wrong lol" reads as a sarcastic statement laughing that it is not a shocker that Bloomberg is wrong, implying they are often wrong. I don't think these people need to learn to read, the sentence just is not very clear with the message it is trying to convey if it wasn't the one interpreted, which is why multiple people assumed what it meant.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing. This has been their marketing tactic since that first Wired article where they revealed some PS5 details. Little bits of information here and there keeps the headlines flowing and keeps them at the top of the news cycle.
Yup, for sure. It's not my thing - I just want a bullet list of features/benefits/etc., I'm not big on hype culture in general (although I have a deep love for movie trailers, go figure!), and so seeing an announcement without the meat just elicits an "I sleep" reaction from me. Can't wait to see what's on offer, though - my backlog is sure to go through the roof.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So, what do you think is left for this week?
I think PSVR2 blowout might happen.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Kind of crazy to me that games from a console from 15+ years ago arent able to just bruteforce its way on the current gen.
When processing bite sized chunks of data continuously (which is what most games were doing with geometry processing and audio) the Cell was still faster than the PS4/XB1 CPU which came out 7 years later. And that's with code fully optimized on each architecture. There was a GDC presentation from Ubisoft in 2014 showing this on a cloth simulation.

Now this is all done on GPU much more efficiently, but the code is not at all portable between the two. It's not even about the instruction set, it's the wrong data granularity, it needs a different implementation, and different data structures. Changing this can happen with ports, but not with real time emulation. Trying to emulate the Cell on a GPU is extremely difficult, because a GPU won't like trying to emulate only 6 threads, it likes 1000 threads. The CPU is too slow, so it seems to be a dead end.

Basically there's no architecture that can bruteforce this yet. It was a one off architecture that was more advanced than any CPUs (for stream processing) but also too early to have the modern GPU architectural approach. Emulating this perfectly is seemingly not even mathematically possible with current hardware.

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
When processing bite sized chunks of data continuously (which is what most games were doing with geometry processing and audio) the Cell was still faster than the PS4/XB1 CPU which came out 7 years later. And that's with code fully optimized on each architecture. There was a GDC presentation from Ubisoft in 2014 showing this on a cloth simulation.

Now this is all done on GPU much more efficiently, but the code is not at all portable between the two. It's not even about the instruction set, it's the wrong data granularity, it needs a different implementation, and different data structures. Changing this can happen with ports, but not with real time emulation. Trying to emulate the Cell on a GPU is extremely difficult, because a GPU won't like trying to emulate only 6 threads, it likes 1000 threads. The CPU is too slow, so it's seems to be a dead end.

Basically there's no architecture that can bruteforce this yet. It was a one off architecture that was more advanced than any CPUs (for stream processing) but also too early to have the modern GPU architectural approach. Emulating this perfectly is seemingly not even mathematically possible with current hardware.
I appreciate responses like this.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
At first, I thought PS+ Premium was too much, but then I realized I'd actually be saving money!
I get PS+ for $60/year and PSNow for $10/month. $10/month is $120, the same price as PS+ Premium. Right now, that means I'm paying in a year $180 for both PS+ and PSNow. $60 savings!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The new PS+ is going to do really well, especially those yearly prices.
Looking forward to trying the top tier with the time I'll get from my existing psnow sub too.

Now this is all done on GPU much more efficiently, but the code is not at all portable between the two. It's not even about the instruction set, it's the wrong data granularity, it needs a different implementation, and different data structures. Changing this can happen with ports, but not with real time emulation. Trying to emulate the Cell on a GPU is extremely difficult, because a GPU won't like trying to emulate only 6 threads, it likes 1000 threads. The CPU is too slow, so it seems to be a dead end.

Well said.

Oct 26, 2017
Chugging my way through ER and just finished my favourite Dungeon yet. The Manor dungeon is pretty much just Bloodborne with the architecture art style and level design. I've reached the Snowy area so far and no other dungeon I've finished even comes close to the Manor. It's the only one so far that's given me the rush when I realize I found a shortcut. Really, really makes me want a Bloodborne 2 lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole we aren't putting our games Day 1 on PS plus makes me doubt MLB the Show being there. Kind of makes me wonder about their service games as well. If any are going to be closer to F2P or full priced like Destiny. Curious what Factions could be.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
At first, I thought PS+ Premium was too much, but then I realized I'd actually be saving money!
I get PS+ for $60/year and PSNow for $10/month. $10/month is $120, the same price as PS+ Premium. Right now, that means I'm paying in a year $180 for both PS+ and PSNow. $60 savings!
I don't get this Math, actually 1/year of plus it's 60and 1/year of now it's 60, so the same 120 of 1 year of premium.

Oct 25, 2017
It just hit me that A LOT of characters are going to die in Ragnarok. This may be the last game we see Atreus.
20619_y8abviOZ398OyRxa_071219211059.jpg

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Great post!

I'm ignorant on the subject, would you happen to know how the PC emulation folks get the PS3 games to run on PC? I don't know how well those games run to be honest, but I thought they were running reasonably well going by comments I had read.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, great post. MVG's tweet today is absurd.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

The takes surrounding that wording was so embarrassing to read, if I'm being honest. Like, 99% of PS4 games working on the PS5 was fantastic news, and with a little digging, you could probably guess which ones wouldn't be compatible because of some feature/accessory or another that wasn't supported by the PS5.

With this new PS+/Now merger, I can imagine that a lot of the games that are already on Now will still be available on the new service, with some additional titles added as deals are worked out between Sony and the respective IP owners, and then a bunch of PS1, PS2, and PSP games that weren't on the service will be added. I honestly just can't think of a real reason FEEL CONCERNED about this announcement. There's still a "traditional" PS+ tier for those that aren't interested in the PS Now stuff, and then additional tiers that offer the PS Now stuff, on top of the max tier that offers the PS1, PS2, and PSP stuff. I can't speak to the concerns about the prices of the tiers, since everyone's financial/regional situation is different and personal to them, but for me, the pricing seems very good for what they're planning on providing, so no complaints from me.

I'm not even going to get into the weeds about the gaming selection, because I just can't imagine it somehow being worse than what PS Now currently has, when they're adding PS1, PS2, and PSP games, when PS1 and PSP games weren't even part of Now until well now. If anything, I hope that the PS2 library is significantly more than what was on Now, and I imagine it will be, since content is going to be a big part of service. With all that said, I'm not losing sleep at not knowing what the lineup is going to be at this exact moment. They'll inform us of the games once it's more locked down in terms of whatever deals they've inked with the various publishers. It'd be nice if Sony just put all of their first party published titles on the service at the least, but even that can have some weird logistics behind it depending on development contracts. In either case, I'm not setting up any expectations for any particular titles, especially from 3rd parties. If they announce a list, and, for whatever reason, deals fall through between now and launch, it'll just piss people off, as par for the course when people don't get exactly 100% of what was promised, so they're playing it safe for now, and will no doubt be doling out information over the next few months to build anticipation for the relaunch.

But Sony knows how important this new initiative is for their long term goals with PlayStation and PS+, so I'm sure they're taking as many steps as necessary to give it more chances of success and growth.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
No way they will make Kratos bury his child again.

There are just 3 possible outcomes:
- both survive
- both die
- only atreus survives

Status
Not open for further replies.