• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Never in a thousand years would I have guessed that Genshin Impact was my no.2 most played game of last year

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay Media Molecule I'm ready for PS5 Dreams.

operasnapshot_2022-01gojz0.png

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Well, that seems a little hypocritical of you. By your logic and comparison to movies, RE2 or FF7 also don't need a remake, because they are essentially "older" movies. And FF7 is definitely not "a burden to play". It's a classic turn-based RPG. The remake completely changed the gameplay mechanics and "feel". I still enjoyed it a lot, because I am not overly precious about older games and how they are "supposed to be" in my or your subjective view. The older versions are still available. I can separate the two.
This a strawman, because it suggests that I argued that remakes are never needed, which nobody said. In fact, I layed out my criteria. It's the same with films: some would benefit from a remake and some wouldn't, but there's a reason remaking Memento or Se7en is a garbage idea. Citizen Kane is in black-and-white and came out in the 1940s, yet no one has had the guts to attempt a major remake (for a pretty good reason). Psycho received a 1-to-1 remake in 1998, which was atrocious and (aside from a television prequel/reimagining) hasn't been attempted since then.

It's not up to you or me to decide what reasons make a remake viable or necessary.
At least, this was the conventional wisdom before Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII made a lot of money and corporations began seeing it as a trend to cash in on. The Diablo developers lost all of the data to the original games, which is also a pretty good reason for a remake. But art and preservation are important discussions to have, even if you're not interested in them.

Using Demon's Souls as an example is very ironic, because the actual creator of the original really enjoyed the remake.
Hidetaka Miyazaki said in an interview that he hasn't played it.

www.ign.com

Elden Ring Director Hidetaka Miyazaki Reveals Why He Hasn't Played Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake Yet - IGN

Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki has revealed why he has yet to play Bluepoint's remake of Demon's Souls and how the team at FromSoftware was so impressed by the game's visuals that they felt extra pressure when developing Elden Ring for PS5.

but director's cuts, theatrical cuts and different versions in general
So do video games. However, that's not what we're discussing.

I still enjoyed it a lot, because I am not overly precious about older games and how they are "supposed to be" in my or your subjective view. The older versions are still available. I can separate the two.
Where can I play the original Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII on modern hardware? The Resident Evil 3 remake was a downgrade from the original in most respects and even that's not available on current gen. The "you still have the originals" argument falls flat, not only because it's a cop out, but because it's usually not even true unless you're willing to pirate or spend $300+

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
RTM is Route to Market or Released To Manufacturing according to google, so the game would be gold.
(take it with a grain of salt etc)
www.resetera.com

[Tom Henderson] Sony has reportedly delayed a GT7 preview event scheduled for tomorrow (delayed to Feb 3rd) Rumor - Sony

I know someone that did I know that the game has RTM’d I’d be honestly shocked if it got delayed. It’s mastered.
Yup, remember RTM alot from using Windows desktop OS betas. RTM meant it was ready.

nilstrung

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone! being a lurker for a long time on this thread and being a long time fan and user, I decided to join since "Ragnarök" is coming for the Playstation brand, with the acquisition of Activision and no more COD, and enjoy the ride until the end. /s

On a serious note though I hope to add something to the conversation in some way.

Since I'm here I wanted to ask if anyone knows, if you pre-order the PS4 version of HFW digitally will I get the PS5 version? and will pre-load of the PS5 version be available? I'm scared because the small text on the PS Store says only the special edition is entitled to the 2 versions.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Hello everyone! being a lurker for a long time on this thread and being a long time fan and user, I decided to join since "Ragnarök" is coming for the Playstation brand, with the acquisition of Activision and no more COD, and enjoy the ride until the end. /s

On a serious note though I hope to add something to the conversation in some way.

Since I'm here I wanted to ask if anyone knows, if you pre-order the PS4 version of HFW digitally will I get the PS5 version? and will pre-load of the PS5 version be available? I'm scared because the small text on the PS Store says only the special edition is entitled to the 2 versions.
Welcome.
And sorry I can't help you with your question. But I'm almost sure that you do get both versions if you buy the PS4 one.
But I'm not 100% sure

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

If you pre-order PS4 version, you'll be able to upgrade on release day. So no pre-load.

Once upgraded, you can't use the PS4 version anymore I think. Not 100% sure on that, but it would makes sense that the special edition entitles to 2 versions.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

>if you pre-order the PS4 version of HFW digitally will I get the PS5 version?

Yes

> will pre-load of the PS5 version be available?

No

> I'm scared because the small text on the PS Store says only the special edition is entitled to the 2 versions.

Sony has been very goofy about not updating it. Jim Ryan said it would be a free upgrade after the original announcement. But they haven't updated any of the PlayStation store pages. Been pretty frustrating.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
This a strawman, because it suggests that I argued that remakes are never needed, which nobody said. In fact, I layed out my criteria. It's the same with films: some would benefit from a remake and some wouldn't, but there's a reason remaking Memento or Se7en is a garbage idea. Citizen Kane is in black-and-white and came out in the 1940s, yet no one has had the guts to attempt a major remake (for a pretty good reason). Psycho received a 1-to-1 remake in 1998, which was atrocious and (aside from a television prequel/reimagining) hasn't been attempted since then.
My argument was that it is not up to you to decide what or when a remake for a game should happen. You have your own criteria, which is totally fine, but complaining about it seems unnecessary.
I could name you a lot of movies with better remakes, some with bigger and smaller time gaps between the two versions. Heat, True Grit, Oceans11 or Scarface. And most of those remakes were considered "unnecessary" at the time. Hell, the original The Fly is considered a classic, but the remake is also considered an even better version to many.
In the end, it's all extremely subjective.

At least, this was the conventional wisdom before Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII made a lot of money and corporations began seeing it as a trend to cash in on. The Diablo developers lost all of the data to the original games, which is also a pretty good reason for a remake. But art and preservation are important discussions to have, even if you're not interested in them.
I think you misunderstood my point. I don't mind talking about art, I just don't care about anyone telling me what "art is supposed to be". A remake has no influence on a medium being art or not. That just seems arrogant to me.

Hidetaka Miyazaki said in an interview that he hasn't played it.

www.ign.com

Elden Ring Director Hidetaka Miyazaki Reveals Why He Hasn't Played Bluepoint's Demon's Souls Remake Yet - IGN

Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki has revealed why he has yet to play Bluepoint's remake of Demon's Souls and how the team at FromSoftware was so impressed by the game's visuals that they felt extra pressure when developing Elden Ring for PS5.
I know. But he was still happy with the result and people playing and enjoying this modernized version.
"So I have not played the Demon's remake, but I am very glad to see it get this fresh look, these brand-new current-gen graphics. It was an old game, so to see it get remade in this way and have new players playing it was obviously something that made me very happy," Miyzaki said. "It was a rough game back in the day, with a relatively rough development, so I was anxious that new players would not enjoy it in that same way. That was a cause of concern for me when it was re-released but, you know, in the end, I'm just happy to see the reaction and happy to see people enjoying it."

Where can I play the original Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII on modern hardware? The Resident Evil 3 remake was a downgrade from the original in most respects and even that's not available on current gen. The "you still have the originals" argument falls flat, not only because it's a cop out, but because it's usually not even true unless you're willing to pirate or spend $300+
I played FF7 on my PS4 last year and was still a blast to play with some new functions like turning off random encounters, increasing speed and so on. Should still be in the PS Store afaik. I don't know about RE2 or 3. Never really cared about it. Enjoyed the remake, tho.

We can keep on discussing this, but it seems like we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see the point of complaining about a remake, that you don't have to play or buy. Millions of other gamers will be happy to play that version. I don't see remakes endangering video games as an "art form" and most og the original games that got remade are still available in their original form. Maybe even more in the future if Playstation decides to enable modern consoles to play PS1, 2 and 3 games without remasters or ports.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

They said the PS4 version will have a free upgrade available, but doesn't look like it wilI apply to pre-loading, I just have the PS4 in my library and the PS5 version is still for sale at full price on the store.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
The one Pillar that generates the most and needs it the most getting left in the dust
You're not wrong, but I believe Sony's strategy is the correct one in the long run. All of their businesses are quite stable today, because of money generated from their other businesses. The more stable these weaker units are and the more income they generate, the less dependent they will be on one unit as a whole.

I think SIE will keep purchasing the cheap smaller groups of talent instead of the expensive big publishers with established IPs

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I don't mind talking about art, I just don't care about anyone telling me what "art is supposed to be". A remake has no influence on a medium being art or not. That just seems arrogant to me.
Artistic purpose and creator intent are essential when it comes to art. If people don't care about that and are okay with the stories, art direction, "feel," mechanics, designs, ETC, being overhauled on a repeat basis just because a game aged a little bit, then I don't see how you can call it art. At that point, you're just buying the latest model of the same toy and the original purpose is lost over time. That really doesn't sit right with me.

It's made worse by the fact that the original games are often not preserved, especially when a remake drops. For example, Capcom stopped selling the original Resident Evils in the PlayStation 4 generation because that's when the REmakes hit, and Sony stopped selling the original Shadows of the Colossus when the remake hit (though the latter is a little more forgivable because it was more 1-to-1). Where is the original Demon's Souls on PlayStation 4 or 5?

I think the Night of the Living Dead remake from 1990 is pretty good, but you know what? We live in an age where I can whip out my phone from my pocket and watch the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) or Citizen Kane (1941) on a whim. At the subway, in my car, in a waiting room, at a friends house, in between classes, ETC. Were most of you alive when those came out? I wasn't. But will my great great great grandchildren be able to play classic games that we take for granted (or took for granted a generation ago)? I'm not so sure.

If the PlayStation 3 Store had been shut down when Sony wanted to shut it down, a lot of smaller and indie games would have been lost, probably forever. Big yikes.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Artistic purpose and creator intent are essential when it comes to art. If people don't care about that and are okay with the stories, art direction, "feel," mechanics, designs, ETC, being overhauled on a repeat basis just because a game aged a little bit, then I don't see how you can call it art. At that point, you're just buying the latest model of the same toy and the original purpose is lost over time. That really doesn't sit right with me.

It's made worse by the fact that the original games are often not preserved, especially when a remake drops. For example, Capcom stopped selling the original Resident Evils in the PlayStation 4 generation because that's when the REmakes hit, and Sony stopped selling the original Shadows of the Colossus when the remake hit (though the latter is a little more forgivable because it was more 1-to-1). Where is the original Demon's Souls on PlayStation 4 or 5?

I think the Night of the Living Dead remake from 1990 is pretty good, but you know what? We live in an age where I can whip out my phone from my pocket and watch the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) or Citizen Kane (1941) on a whim. At the subway, in my car, in a waiting room, at a friends house, in between classes, ETC. Where most of you alive when those came out? I wasn't. But will my great great great grandchildren be able to play classic games that we take for granted (or took for granted a generation ago)? I'm not so sure.

If the PlayStation 3 Store had been shut down when Sony wanted to shut it down, a lot of smaller and indie games would have been lost, probably forever. Big yikes.

Game preservation is something companies need to be a whole lot better in. Obviously not every game is going to get the bells and whistles improvements of remasters and stuff, but just having the convenience of getting an old game and playing it straight away is something I value personally.

Otherwise, if companies aren't willing to sell these games and people are faced with the prospect of losing them forever, they can and will turn to other means to play them, and then suddenly companies act SHOCKED when this happens. If I feel like playing classic PS1 games I missed out on when I was younger like Crash or the old GTA games, I'd like to be able to download and play them on my PS4/5 with minimal hassle.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just thinking about this... Insomniac are working on 4-5 titles as far as we can tell and Firesprite seem to be working on 4-5 titles as well. 8-10 titles in the works between 2 studios, doesn't this alone match up to what we might see in development from a smaller to mid-sized publisher? That's from 2 of their acquisitions over the past 3 years. And both studios continue to grow.

Not too shabby I'd say.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA

Welcome friend 😊

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
Just thinking about this... Insomniac are working on 4-5 titles as far as we can tell and Firesprite seem to be working on 4-5 titles as well. 8-10 titles in the works between 2 studios, doesn't this alone match up to what we might see in development from a smaller to mid-sized publisher? That's from 2 of their acquisitions over the past 3 years. And both studios continue to grow.

Not too shabby I'd say.

For IG i would say 3 titles at the same time (Spider-Man2+Wolverine+PSVR2 game)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For IG i would say 3 titles at the same time (Spider-Man2+Wolverine+PSVR2 game)

I thought we were going by the amount of creative directors they had and the job postings which indicated more projects.

Plus I suppose they could also have more remasters in the works. They snuck Spider-Man 2018 remaster out without so much as a hint that it was coming before the announcement.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I would add a new Ratchet & Clank. I would be very surprised if we don't see the lombax again this gen.

Didn't we have indications of a MP title from Insomniac? If so SM2, Wolverine and a PSVR2 game (which I would assume is SM related) probably wouldn't fall under those titles.

Ratchet could, as the franchise has had MP content before.

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
I thought we were going by the amount of creative directors they had and the job postings which indicated more projects.

Plus I suppose they could also have more remasters in the works. They snuck Spider-Man 2018 remaster out without so much as a hint that it was coming before the announcement.

Oh i see , well i really don't know how many creative directors they have , so yeah maybe they can produce more game at the same time 😄

I would add a new Ratchet & Clank. I would be very surprised if we don't see the lombax again this gen.

Yeah, a new R&C game will surely arrive in the next few years, but if it's already in production, I don't know

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't we have indications of a MP title from Insomniac? If so SM2, Wolverine and a PSVR2 game (which I would assume is SM related) probably wouldn't fall under those titles.
Yes, Insomniac was hiring for a multiplayer title including new project leads I believe.
Although currently they are primarily hiring for Wolverine.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Whats with all the talk about Demon's Souls remake's art direction. Its of course, different, as it has to be, its not possible to maintain the same style at such high fidelity. Even the original couldn't have been the creator's vision due to hardware limitations (there was something to that effect in the documentary).

I can see how someone who has a fond memory of the original may get annoyed with the remake, but overall it seems to be well received. As for Miyazaki, it seems he is happy that players are happy (he seems to be a very nice dude).

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Oh i see , well i really don't know how many creative directors they have , so yeah maybe they can produce more game at the same time 😄

Yeah, a new R&C game will surely arrive in the next few years, but if it's already in production, I don't know
It was made but a different team that Spiderman's team (who are working in the sequel) and Miles Morales's team (working in Wolverine). Maybe it is in pre-production, but Ratchet will probably be a smaller game that these two so I don't think we will have to wait a long time. It may even release before Wolverine.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
User banned (1 week): Trolling. Platform wars.
Hope Sony does more to disavow Tencent's behavior now that Alanah has spoken up, since they are partners in multiple spaces and have deals together. I know people would like to see companies do more than continued relationships when info comes out like this so hopefully Sony can meet expectations people have of them in the toxicity.

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
It was made but a different team that Spiderman's team (who are working in the sequel) and Miles Morales's team (working in Wolverine). Maybe it is in pre-production, but Ratchet will probably be a smaller game that these two so I don't think we will have to wait a long time. It may even release before Wolverine.

That would be awesome a new R&C between Spiderman and Wolverine !

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I've harped on this before but I think Sony should consider giving their first party titles the VR treatment at minimum as stereo 3d enabled while playing in a virtual theater environment. IIRC you can already do this on PSVR1 but its not stereo 3d.

Yep, I've been saying this myself for years. Give them stereoscopic 3D, 21:9 wide-screen, and raise the framerate at the cost of resolution. Combine that with eye-tracked foveated rendering and you'd have an amazing way to play these games.

It's a much bigger ask to expect something akin to RE4 VR with full motion control support and QOL things like a belt/inventory system and item interaction with motion controls. Not that I think they're incapable, just doubtful they'd invest in something like that vs a standalone, made from the ground up for VR project. Would love to be proven wrong, TLOU's core loop seems perfect for it. Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is a great template to work off of for a VR zombie survival game done right, especially for the melee combat.

I mean it is a big ask, but IIRC the people who correctly leaked the PSVR2 specs also said Sony is focusing on "hybrid VR" games - TLOU Remake with a VR mode would fit perfectly with that.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

I have no idea if this game is going to be good or not lolol

It's going to have its own group of fans :).
The gameplay was alright, but it really reminds me of a PS3 era title, some jank and a crazy story. Don't mind it.
Kind of reminds me of Godfall too in a sense.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.