• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
That or Off Duty are both good ones

Good thing we can use them when the acquisition completes too, or when good guy Spencer announces CoD will be exclusive.

Yeah, I am annoyed. I was hoping Sony and MS will turn the screws on AB, and instead MS saw that as an opportunity for acquisition. Thats downright evil in my books.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, but how they can react? Microsoft will likely use suffocating tactic unless regulatory organs start acting.

The gaming industry is huge and there're any number of ways for Sony to "react" to this. First and foremost is doing what they've been doing for many years - build wildly successful and popular original IP that draws in tens of millions of folks.

Just remember that any vacuum left by some company being taken off of the table will be filled by someone. That someone could be Sony themselves or could be another third party. Either way, it'll be fine.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
if Sony is reviving old IP, it probably should be SOCOM, although I think they should make new military fps IP. not sci-fi like Killzone, but something more realistic and contemporary like CoD or Battlefield

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Well now that we are at a point where Publisher Acquisitions are becoming the norm.

CD Project Red might a be viable candidate given how their stock has fallen over the past year.
Buy them at their low point, change the management and studio culture and help them trough the network of PlayStation Studios to establish more teams and a better development flow.

Witcher might be the only WRPG that can compete with Elder Scrolls on a commercial level and the sucessfull TV Show will continue to boost the IP aswell.
If Cyberpunk can get the FF14 Reboot and win back some fans, that would be another big RPG Ip in their hands.

No idea what CDPR's value or cost would be but I wonder if it would be bloated in contrast to the number of IP/content they own, their limited game output, and their ownerships of GoG as a storefront that Sony probably has zero use for. Not sure its a good fit. The thing to remember with some of these purposes is that MS, because they are full steam ahead making Services/subscriptions their number 1 priority, can afford to buy these massive publishers while at the same time sort of devaluing them (for lack of a better term). Like in the short term, CoD games will bring in less revenue by virtue of being on less platforms, and having less people to pry MTX money from, but at the end of the day if that brings more people to GamePass, that's all MS cares about, and they are willing to effectively lose money to make that happen. From that standpoint, as huge as a property like Witcher is, does it make sense to pay top dollar for it and its publisher/developer, to turn around and cut off a huge piece of the audience that made it that huge and valuable in the first place by restricting it from Xbox/PC gamers? I'm not so sure it makes sense in the same way unless Sony pivots completely from their current business model into one that relies and prioritizes subscriptions as much as MS currently does, and even then, its what? One game every 5-6 years?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the idea that Sony needs to fill in the gap left by CoD with their own military shooter seems short sighted and pointless tbh. Kilzone or SOCOM isn't going to suddenly keep CoD fans from going where CoD is. What they need is probably more third party partnerships to fill in the revenue gaps that no more CoD will leave them.

probably a weird pull, but I could see it being sort of similar to that scene in Moneyball where Brad Pitt is trying to convince the rest of his team that the way to offset the loss of their MVP player who was signed out from under them by the Yankees isn't to magically find another MVP player that doesn't exist, its to find 2-3 players that together can closely replicate his production.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
the idea that Sony needs to fill in the gap left by CoD with their own military shooter seems short sighted and pointless tbh. Kilzone or SOCOM isn't going to suddenly keep CoD fans from going where CoD is. What they need is probably more third party partnerships to fill in the revenue gaps that no more CoD will leave them.

probably a weird pull, but I could see it being sort of similar to that scene in Moneyball where Brad Pitt is trying to convince the rest of his team that the way to offset the loss of their MVP player who was signed out from under them by the Yankees isn't to magically find another MVP player that doesn't exist, its to find 2-3 players that together can closely replicate his production.

I wouldn't say its shortsighted or pointless. Even if its a slow build to popularity, it still would fill a gap in their lineup.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say its shortsighted or pointless. Even if its a slow build to popularity, it still would fill a gap in their lineup.

The gap isn't because they no longer have an FPS though. There are no shortage of FPS on the market. The gap is that they will no longer rake in third party and MTX revenue that Call of Duty used to bring. SOCOM 2022 isn't going to make that up. Neither is Killzone. they need to offset the loss of revenue, not the loss of a FPS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's always a strange moment when you and I agree on something, Scooter.

How much bigger Battlefield could get with CoD becoming Xbox exclusive?

Not much. Battlefield is in extremely steep decline.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to say this is fucking insane and if (rather when, you don't spend that amount for nothing) MS comes out and say "CoD to become PC/Xbox exclusive" Sony might enter freefall to sub $90.
6-F9-A1542-2560-4037-B8-AB-E4-EE470791-AF.jpg

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to say this is fucking insane and if (rather when, you don't spend that amount for nothing) MS comes out and say "CoD to become PC/Xbox exclusive" Sony might enter freefall to sub $90.
Anyone saying Sony doesn't need to respond (and fast) is delusional.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for this and Elden Ring. I'm trying to stay away from most media because I want to go in blind.

Everything being exclusive is on the table until it's off.

yeah that is the mindset I have too. Even COD will phase out from PS eventually. Possibly around 2024 or 2025.

This is the right way to go about things. Expect the worst outcome unless specifically stated otherwise.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just imagine the loss of revenue from PS+ because of Call of Duty. Sony needs to offset the revenue loss. They shouldn't be chasing for a replacement FPS.

Baoben

Oct 10, 2021
Previously I always felt that MS was on the verge of leaving the industry. Or rather that they had never completely entered it - they always seemed to be dipping their toes in it. But now they've basically put Gamepass as something that's too big to fail: they won't let it die because they can't - the cost of laying off and or selling off all of those developers is just too great.

I think this makes them even more threatening to Sony to be honest. Before Bethesda, MS seemed content in a profitable third place, but now they're going for all or nothing. Spencer must have Jedi-like negotiation skills to have convinced Nadella to prioritise Xbox to such an extent.

Sony knew how to compete against an MS who was operating on equal terms, but I do think they must have been rethinking their strategy in the past few months, particularly once they learned about Bethesda. The game has changed and MS is playing to win instead of just playing to take part.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
is stock market even real or has real impact into a company the size of Sony?

answer: sodium hypobromite formula

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the single day chart paints a different picture. I gained some 7$ dollars already since opening today.

Status
Not open for further replies.