• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastion561

Nov 9, 2019
I don't blame Jim. I just said the optics have been bad in this gen despite the success. Xbox was going to do this regardless.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is also hurting the industry with its purchase, but Sony doing the same in retatlation would only make things worse for us.

So they sit around like a lame duck, watch every other 3rd party get gobbled up by MS or other people? No, they have to buy other publishers and move the consolidation train forward cause MS decided they wanted to do this

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
All Jim can say is they will invest into more great content that you can only get on PS.
I mean there not much he could have done about MS paying 70 billion for a company .
That's not an answer for shareholders. Big 3rd party multiplatform games like CoD make Sony a lot of profit with little investment. Its like free money. Losing that means revenues and profits will decrease. All investors care about is growth and profits

To then say "well... we will just spend even more of your money to make up for the steady free money we just lost" ... doesn't sound too appealing to me if I was a Sony shareholder.

Oct 20, 2021
Kinda wonder if Sony will even be willing to still invest so much money to stay competitive in such uncertain times. Who says that buying a publisher now would even change much anymore. Maybe it would just be throwing money into the fire. I do not envy Jim Ryan right now. Must be brutal.

The first time in a long time I have no idea how things shake out.

I also think Steam users will be the next ones to get fucked.
I fully expect MS to start making their games Gamepass exclusive to really drive growth once they don't have to play Good Guy MS anymore.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
How would it make it worse than it already is?
It is like watching a person get beaten up and telling them not to fight back because if you do you will be no better then the aggressor.

Though I think Sony should try and go after more dev numbers then anything else so that they can streamline their production and release process by several multitude.

Also revive tons of I.Ps as result, from Sly Cooper to Jeto Moto, to Ape Escape, to KillZone, to MotorStorm, to Resistance, etc...

They are already possibly trying to diversify but I think they need to inject a big boost into their arm and go even harder and faster.

By 2025 do you think MS will allow most of those I.Ps to release on PS? I doubt it. They will also be tossing out games after games every year.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Of couse GP profitable is relevant lol...there's no free lunch and no company reaches the size of Microsoft doing charity. And if GP isn't a profitable approach, why to claim for SONY doing the same? they will fall first...

The profitability is not at all relevant to MS in the near future. A trillion dollar company can recoup this cost is short order.

They are more than comfortable to take a hit now in order to grow the GP subscribers base even further, which is already at 25 million users.

No one's asking Sony to compete with GamePass right away, but at the very least they can try to prevent other 3P IPs from disappearing from the platform. Start going harder at acquiring bigger industry names.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wonder if Sony will even be willing to still invest so much money to stay competitive in such uncertain times. Who says that buying a publisher now would even change much anymore. Maybe it would just be throwing money into the fire. I do not envy Jim Ryan right now. Must be brutal.

The first time in a long time I have no idea how things shake out.

I fully expect MS to start making their games Gamepass exclusive to really drive growth once they don't have to play Good Guy MS anymore.

Yup I can see Steam being the next target easily with storefront to get more subs and sales on PC.

Jul 2, 2021
Microsoft is also hurting the industry with its purchase, but Sony doing the same in retatlation would only make things worse for us.
It's not about retaliation. It's about being able to compete. Nintendo and Microsoft have way bigger IPs now. MS has better services too and twice as many studios. Most of the remaining third-party studios will get bought anyways. With or without Sony.
Sony either starts buying some of them too or they're gone forever.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's not about retaliation. It's about being able to compete. Nintendo and Microsoft have way bigger IPs now. MS has better services too and much more studios. Most of the remaining third-party studios will get bought anyways. With or without Sony.
Sony either Sony starts buying some of them too, or they're gone forever.
Yeah that's definitely what it's like. Sony must buy Capcom or perish. there's no other alternative.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
If companies like Squenix and Capcom aren't willing to be bought out, a hostile takeover doesn't seem likely. I don't think it will happen

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That's not an answer for shareholders. Big 3rd party multiplatform games like CoD make Sony a lot of profit with little investment. Its like free money. Losing that means revenues and profits will decrease. All investors care about is growth and profits

To then say "well... we will just spend even more of your money to make up for the steady free money we just lost" ... doesn't sound too appealing to me if I was a Sony shareholder.

Well that is all he can do and maybe talk about mobile .
Do some M&A and expand on first party and also talk about growth .
Sort what Netflix had to do when they were losing content .

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. They're coming off a year as one of the top publishers on Steam and having success with Game Pass. People subbing to GP on their app didn't stop their games from being top sellers on Steam and seemed to have really good synergy to push early access sales of Forza in particular.

As a PC gamer Xbox is of course the better option between two consolidation evils right now. At least they are committed to publishing all of their content on PC on multiple storefronts and also pushing Cloud streaming for mobile/browser.

If companies like Squenix and Capcom aren't willing to be bought out, a hostile takeover doesn't seem likely. I don't think it will happen
Buying one of the big Japanese publishers just seems like a different ballgame altogether. Feels like one of the major ones would have been acquired already at this point if it was doable.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: platform wars rhetoric
really cool that playstation is focusing their efforts on pc, while MS is actually using money to make their console more attractive :)

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
They will lose if they just sit and do nothing. They are not Nintendo and they cannot survive by attempting to replicate Nintendo's business model.

Of course they have to do something. But copying MS is not the answer. MS is going to spend billions and billions more, no way can Sony match up to them

I would say keep doing what they are doing now, focus on quality, make smart acquisitions when available and maybe acquire a small publisher to push Indie and AA initiatives. Also, stop chasing profits in the short term and simply try to hold the marketshare.

May 10, 2018
Well, Sony will respond with something, just don't know what. I expect an acquisition will be announced sometime before the end of the year.

I feel like the obvious candidates are Square-Enix and Capcom, maybe Sega.

I know some feel like those won't do much but I think they definitely would. I don't see Sony trying to go after Take-Two though.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Well that is all he can do and maybe talk about mobile .
Do some M&A and expand on first party and also talk about growth .
Sort what Netflix had to do when they were losing content .

Yeah, even if they do go after something like Take Two they aren't going to say "we're going after Take Two so don't worry about us!" That is not the way businesses work, lol.

QUOTE="HeartlessNobody2134, post: 80501321, member: 43205"]
Well, Sony will respond with something, just don't know what. I expect an acquisition will be announced sometime before the end of the year.

I know some feel like those won't do much but I think they definitely would. I don't see Sony trying to go after Take-Two though.
[/QUOTE]

Either of these two would be a big, big deal, despite what people might say around here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they have to do something. But copying MS is not the answer. MS is going to spend billions and billions more, no way can Sony match up to them

I would say keep doing what they are doing now, focus on quality, make smart acquisitions when available and maybe acquire a small publisher to push Indie and AA initiatives.

It won't be enough. They will fall behind hard. They need more games and more IP you can only get on PS or there will just be less and less reason for anyone to go with their hardware, period.

They cannot, in any sense, just double down on the hardcore PS Studios fan market.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It is like watching a person get beaten up and telling them not to fight back because if you do you will be no better then the aggressor.

Though I think Sony should try and go after more dev numbers then anything else so that they can streamline their production and release process by several multitude.

Literally.

SIE is getting their legs swept from under them, but apparently they should just pre-emptively lay down in order to...still get beat the fuck up, lol

I don't think some folks have realized that MS will not stop at this point; there's no going back~

With regards to reviving older IPs, I don't see that happening this gen because WWS have gone all in on AAA production, and have retooled specifically to meet that goal. I can't recall if it was Layden or Ryan that said they wanted fewer, but bigger hits from WWS.

Unfortunately, they clearly not rely on 3P software to fill in the gaps between their big hitters now.

Jul 2, 2021
Also revive tons of I.Ps as result, from Sly Cooper to Jeto Moto, to Ape Escape, to KillZone, to MotorStorm, to Resistance, etc...
They need big IPs which are still alive and strong. The IPs you've mentioned above are dead. Nobody (besides some hardcore Sony fans) cares about them anymore.
I sold all my Sony stocks luckily soon after the announcement. Still had some losses but they were balanced out by other stock making a jump like Take2.
I kept them. I think (or hope) they will go up again after the dust settles. Please god. Lol.
They are willing to sell because investors want money. Pay the right price and it's done.
Square-Enix, Capcom and all the others will disappear anyway in the next 5 - 10 years. It's either Sony or Microsoft, Tencent, Amazong, Facebook, Amazon or Google. Hell even Nintendo might get Capcom.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Literally.

SIE is getting their legs swept from under them, but apparently they should just pre-emptively lay down in order to...still get beat the fuck up, lol

What happens if you are beaten by someone with a club, and you only have a straw? If you feel its an exaggerated analogy, remember MS just dropped 70 billion dollars.

Not saying Sony shouldn't do anything, but they have to be smart and play to their strengths. MS is continue to spend billions and billions. Sony simply can't keep up even if they want to.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's pretty simple, really.

If Sony "dies", then they die.
But given what we know of Sony's current leadership and where they view the organization as a whole, it's likelier than not that they would do what they can to be more competitive.
Will that be enough? Who knows.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony might have to start aquiring things just to stay competitive, even if it won't be as big as Activision/Bethesda. Take-two makes the most sense if Sony was serious. Before today, I would have said Take-Two was too big to buy out. But actually i don't really think so.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
They need big IPs which are still alive and strong. The IPs you've mentioned above are dead. Nobody (besides some hardcore Sony fans) cares about them anymore.

I kept them. I think (or hope) they will go up again after the dust settles. Please god. Lol.

I'm sure they will rebound soonish. I'll also likely rebuy some stock tomorrow.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The bigger question is what will they do with there service .
Hardware is a short term matter now .
MS spend this 70 billion for there service .
I think this is important to reiterate. I notice some people are still focused on what Sony can do to push hardware, in the very near future solely pushing hardware will be irrelevant. It's all about the service, both on their console and more importantly the wider ecosystem beyond it. Microsoft was talking about this back in 2015, and laying the groundwork with development of their PC store and cloud infrastructure. Sony is barely starting to look at this now, 7 years later.

That's where Sony is slipping behind, they're 5 years behind Microsoft in the development of their service and it'll be tough to catch up.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Their subscribers will benefit, while PlayStation players will be permanently left with less content.
Yes PS will lose access to those games... but you are all acting like because of that ALL the people who played COD on the PS will buy an Xbox tomorrow (or a gamepass)

we all know that streaming going to play a huge part .
Of what? The future of MS or the future of gaming? (I want to see the receipt)

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It's not about retaliation. It's about being able to compete. Nintendo and Microsoft have way bigger IPs now. MS has better services too and twice as many studios. Most of the remaining third-party studios will get bought anyways. With or without Sony.
Sony either starts buying some of them too or they're gone forever.
It's a big move by MS but this is crazy talk. Sony are comfortably home console market leaders.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only talking about the optics. Money wise, Jim has been great for Sony. But I have no idea what this changes for the company now.

And somehow you don't think "the optics" are intertwined with the money, with the success, with the way Jim Ryan has been running Sony since taking over? You think that Jim Ryan and his team have somehow been able to launch a wildly successful new piece of hardware, one that has dominated mindshare since the moment it was announced, that has had tremendously positive social media engagement, and has propelled Sony to a record setting couple of years for the Playstation brand, and somehow did all of that with bad optics and bad PR? DO you realize how monumentally stupid that sounds? (though I'm sure I'll hear the equally ridiculous counter that they did all of this in spite of Jim Ryan, and/or the PS5 would have sold itself) The idea that Jim Ryan/Playstation as a brand have "bad optics" is fucking absurd and exists only as a figment of ResetEra (and other similarly out of touch pockets of the internet) where mountains are constantly made out of mole hills. Where 20 page threads are routinely made out of things 99% of the average consumers will never even hear about? A majority of Playstation owners (and there are a lot of them, credit to that bad PR I guess) don't even know who Jim Ryan is, probably by design, and yet to hear it from some people you'd think he was actively turning people away from Playstation and ruining the brand, you know, with all of that "arrogance". Its such a stupid, braindead take constantly paraded around here and all it does is shit up the discourse and lead to the same stupid circular arguments.

Jul 2, 2021
What happens if you are beaten by someone with a club, and you only have a straw? If you feel its an exaggerated analogy, remember MS just dropped 70 billion dollars.

Not saying Sony shouldn't do anything, but they have to be smart and play to their strengths. MS is continue to spend billions and billions. Sony simply can't keep up even if they want to.
They can easily buy Square-Enix and Capcom if they wanted to. Just as an example. They have a lot of cash. A lot.
Then they can "play their strengths" with their new IPs while providing content for Spartacus.
Just keep buying a few more Housemarques an Bluepoints is a losing strategy. It won't be enough. They can't compete with a few Returnals against Microsoft's and Nintendo's IP power.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Sony should buy Square Enix if they have the opportunity. It guarantees that Final Fantasy continues to release on PlayStation platforms, they have immediate access to the most popular MMO right now & they also get devs like Eidos Montreal & Crystal Dynamics.

But knowing Sony, they would probably shut down FFXI the second the deal closes.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yes PS will lose access to those games... but you are all acting like because of that ALL the people who played COD on the PS will buy an Xbox tomorrow (or a gamepass)

Of what? The future of MS or the future of gaming? (I want to see the receipt)

Yeah, it's likely that at least the next two years or so of COD will still be on ps5, we'll see what happens after that.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Doubtful. They're coming off a year as one of the top publishers on Steam and having success with Game Pass. People subbing to GP on their app didn't stop their games from being top sellers on Steam and seemed to have really good synergy to push early access sales of Forza in particular.
From my reading of the Steam results, I would say the opposite is what I find, at least for the bigger releases. FH5 releasing day and date on steam was nearly matched by GoW on steam close to four years after initial release in terms of concurrent players (and this stat skews in favor of FH5 due to being a true premier launch already). MS made a lot of noise about 15 million players on that game and everything, but its boxed sales can be compared to GoW coming to steam 4 years later after selling 20 million copies on PS. This to me seems like perfect reason to not put your games on a sub service at launch if you want to also get boxed sales. I see MS pulling out of steam releases sometime in the future but obviously this is just a feeling and maybe they never will.

Bastion561

Nov 9, 2019
I think this is important to reiterate. I notice some people are still focused on what Sony can do to push hardware, in the very near future solely pushing hardware will be irrelevant. It's all about the service, both on their console and more importantly the wider ecosystem beyond it. Microsoft was talking about this back in 2015, and laying the groundwork with development of their PC store and cloud infrastructure. Sony is barely starting to look at this now, 7 years later.

That's where Sony is slipping behind, they're 5 years behind Microsoft in the development of their service and it'll be tough to catch up.

This exactly. This is why I meant by Sony getting flanked (although I didn't word it how I wanted). They've not done their due diligence on services and cloud infrastructure. MS played the long game and Sony has fallen behind where the industry is headed. Although of course, it doesn't really matter when a company can just drop $70 billion and you can't anyways. I don't know what describes it. Arrogance? Stubborn? Short-sighted? Either way, somebody or people at the top missed these signs.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
really cool that playstation is focusing their efforts on pc, while MS is actually using money to make their console more attractive :)
Microsoft is making their service look attractive, not their necessarily their console. All their games are day 1 PC on Gamepass, call me when Sony has that level of service.

Jul 2, 2021
It's a big move by MS but this is crazy talk. Sony are comfortably home console market leaders.
That's Nintendo with the Switch.

And Microsoft now has Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard. On Game Pass with XCloud.
More acquisitions are coming. Nothing is "comfortably" for Sony anymore.
Like I already said, some people aren't realizing what happened today.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States

They are already possibly trying to diversify but I think they need to inject a big boost into their arm and go even harder and faster.

By 2025 do you think MS will allow most of those I.Ps to release on PS? I doubt it. They will also be tossing out games after games every year.
I wouldn't mind seeing another Resistance game.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
My biggest worry is SIE's AAA output suffering because they can't rely on 3P revenue funding development if acquisitions of this scale continue. Nor can they rely on 3P software to plug-in the gaps during 1P droughts. That'll further incentives Sony to monetize their big hitter to stay afloat (I don't want a ton of MTX in my GoW!).

And yes, COD is a big enough console mover that I fully expect it to affect PS's hardware sales by the end of the generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.